Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Anyone ever used a travel agent?

Started by waphill, September 17, 2009, 08:46:41 am

Previous topic - Next topic

waphill

I'm going on my honeymoon in march. We're going somewhere in the Caribbean. Would I save some money using a travel agent, or should I just book everything online? Also, I was thinking Puerto Rico. Heard bad things about Jamaica and Bahamas. Any recommendations?

YoMama

Start here:

http://www.hogville.net/yabbse/index.php?topic=231721.0

Personally I haven't used a TA in 10 years, however, they may be able to match any online price.  So might as well get as many quotes as you can.

HognotinMemphis

September 17, 2009, 10:21:02 am #2 Last Edit: September 17, 2009, 10:26:07 am by HoginMemphis
There are not very many good travel agents. Of course, depends on what you need and on your skills at finding your way around the internets.

The only time I used a travel agent in the last 10 or so years, they screwed up big time. I got a Silversea cruise reserved through a travel agent here in Memphis. You either have to call Silversea direct or go through a travel agent...can't book online. It was a 9 day cruise, all-inclusive and cost was a bit over $6000. It's a luxury cruise and you don't pay for anything extra. Cabins are suites with walk in closets, bathtub and separate shower, his and her sinks, queen bed and veranda with chairs.

The big screw up was that out of all the suites on this particular deck of the ship, they put us in the one suite that was adjacent to the work area corridor. So, every morning around 7am, banging began on the wall where our heads were, so severely that it was literally jarring. I complained while on the cruise but nothing changed.

This travel agent is well known here in Memphis. You'd think they'd have known this about our suite. They should have. That's part of their job. We were ignorant and didn't realize what was next to our suite when we viewed the diagram. However, once you know where the work space is, it's easy to see on the diagram - it runs through all decks in the same location since it's a series of stairwells and a work elevator.

Certainly given that this travel agent had been on this specific cruise line and should know the little in's and out's of the suites, he should not have placed us in that cabin for our first cruise on this cruise line, or ever if you want your client to have a good cruise.

That was in Nov 2006. We took another cruise with the same cruise line last November. I booked it through a travel agent in Los Angeles and picked my own suite, careful to note exact location - not next to a service area and not too close to entry/exit areas to the outside. This LA travel agent even gave us a $300 on board credit...part of their commission. I knew this travel agency would do this which is why I picked them.

Moral of the story is, go ahead and use a travel agent but like anything else, ask questions. Make sure you know everything about what they are doing for you and that there are not going to be any issues with location of hotel rooms, cruise cabins, etc. When you just assume the agent is going to do it all perfectly for you and you never ask why or what for, you usually end up with some problem or something you do not like.
I don't want you to agree with me because you're weak. I want you to agree with me because you know I'm right.

majestic

Voluntary epidemiologist - Voted for W in 08

HognotinMemphis

I don't want you to agree with me because you're weak. I want you to agree with me because you know I'm right.

tbhogfan

I went on a family vacation to Alaska in June, and one of our family members INSISTED on using a travel agent.   For a hefty extra fee, we got incorrect information (like you had to have a suit to dine on our cruise), and got booked on excursions at the worst possible times (often against my expressed wishes).  It was obvious that this idiot had not done the slightest amount of research, and was simply going through the motions.  He added nothing to the trip other than expense.

For most vacations, it is well worth your time to do a little research and book on your own.   Fortunately an Alaska Cruise is mostly being in a floating hotel anyway, but the guy ruined all of our excursions.   I would never waste my time or money with a travel agent again.
Go Hogs!