Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Albuquerque and Santa Fe Advice

Started by hilljack, March 09, 2009, 02:56:52 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

hilljack

Hogsters,

My family and I are taking a trip out west next week.  The plan is to hit ABQ and see some sites then head up to Santa Fe.  I've never been to Santa Fe, but I've heard its a cool city.  Anyone have any advice on places to visit?

Oklahawg

Santa Fe is awesome, but pricey.

Trust me, visit the Jackelope store.

Plan on reservations for any dinner meal. Lunches, also, if you eat nice.

I thoroughly loved my day trip to Chimayo, which is 20-ish miles north and another 7-or so back east from SF. The Rancho de Chimayo restaurant is outstanding (reservations recommended), the Healing Dirt Church is there, and the textile places are nice.

Its too bad its March and not May - I'd send you on a day trip to Chama for the train ride through the mountains (up to something like 14K feet!).

We stayed at the B&B at the Chimayo restaurant and it was quite nice. No TV or pool, so if you have kids its out (they don't allow them, I think).

I was impressed by La Turtulia Restaurant which had a separate dining area for folks with children.

You can find probably 50 great, not just good, restaurants. Remember, you are at almost 7000 feet, so the effect of alcohol is greatly enhanced.

Gas will be quite a bit more expensive.
I am a Hog fan. I was long before my name was etched, twice, on the sidewalks on the Hill. I will be long after Sam Pittman and Eric Mussleman are coaches, and Hunter Yuracheck is AD. I am a Hog fan when we win, when we lose and when we don't play. I love hearing the UA band play the National Anthem on game day, but I sing along to the Alma Mater. I am a Hog fan.<br /><br />A liberal education is at the heart of a civil society, and at the heart of a liberal education is the act of teaching. - Bart Giamatti <br /><br />"It is a puzzling thing. The truth knocks on the door and you say, 'Go away, I'm looking for the truth,' and so it goes away. Puzzling." ― Robert M. Pirsig<br /><br />Love is the most important thing in the world, but baseball is pretty good, too.  – Yogi Berra

DoggtownHog

I also am going to this same area in May. I was planning on doing some mt biking and site seeing. We are staying between Sante Fe and Albuquerque and was curious as to which one would be more worth my time visiting. I was thinking Sante Fe because I enjoy art and hand made items. I do need a Jackalope for my species collection.
How stupid a man is depends on where he's standing.

nlrwildcat1

My best friend stays in Albuquerque. iwent there a few times that have a place called O town which is the old part of Albuquerque were all the cowboys use to roam around. the have a place called the petroglyphs which is the native american cave drawings. It is a dangerous place like little rock back in the 90's last time i was there in a two day span one guy killed 12 people and two were cops.

Sivad

Bandolier National Monument is a nice outdoor visit.
The scenic drive to Taos is pretty cool.
If you make it there, drive a short hop over to the bridge over the gorge.
Lots of old and real churches to visit in SF and the area, +1 on the Church with the healing dirt (it's on the way to Taos).
A great scratch pizza joint in Taos with lots of atmosphere...."Taos OutBack" (nothing fancy).
The SF square is usually happening at night.

nlrwildcat1

Also if you go to Albuquerque hit a place called brick yard pizza on central. It is awsome also you will see a taco place called popin taco

Oklahawg

We drove to Chama, about 70 minutes north of Santa Fe. We didn't spend the night (next trip, I hope) but did ride the train across the CO border. It takes you above 14,000 and they offer an observation car. Great scenery. They run from about May 1 to October 1. We were there in early July and it was 100 degrees coming through the Texas Panhandle. One of the employees said that the last of the snow had melted just days prior to our arrival.

Santa Fe has a wonderful summer opera and ballet offering.
I am a Hog fan. I was long before my name was etched, twice, on the sidewalks on the Hill. I will be long after Sam Pittman and Eric Mussleman are coaches, and Hunter Yuracheck is AD. I am a Hog fan when we win, when we lose and when we don't play. I love hearing the UA band play the National Anthem on game day, but I sing along to the Alma Mater. I am a Hog fan.<br /><br />A liberal education is at the heart of a civil society, and at the heart of a liberal education is the act of teaching. - Bart Giamatti <br /><br />"It is a puzzling thing. The truth knocks on the door and you say, 'Go away, I'm looking for the truth,' and so it goes away. Puzzling." ― Robert M. Pirsig<br /><br />Love is the most important thing in the world, but baseball is pretty good, too.  – Yogi Berra

Uncle_dad

Quote from: Oklahawg on April 04, 2009, 05:00:29 pm
We drove to Chama, about 70 minutes north of Santa Fe. We didn't spend the night (next trip, I hope) but did ride the train across the CO border. It takes you above 14,000 and they offer an observation car. Great scenery. They run from about May 1 to October 1. We were there in early July and it was 100 degrees coming through the Texas Panhandle. One of the employees said that the last of the snow had melted just days prior to our arrival.

Santa Fe has a wonderful summer opera and ballet offering.

PM me next time you head out there.  My parents own two condos in the Ft. Marcy area, which is just a few minutes walk from the plaza.  One has the best view in town.

DoggtownHog

I'm trying to post a few pics from my New Mexico trip.

DoggtownHog

Failure #1.
Trying to figure this out without asking for help.

DoggtownHog

DoggtownHog

I have a red X. Not sure if anyone can see it. Trying something different.

hawgrunner