Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Weren't we told this season didn't matter anyway?

Started by NWASooner, February 09, 2011, 10:49:10 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

NWASooner

This was the danger during the off season.  We were told (by some) that since Pelphrey signed the greatest class in the history of basketball that this current season didn't matter.  He could even go 0-30 and it wouldn't matter.

So, why are we upset about this?  If you tell people that results don't matter, then why should they care about results?

You can blame Pelphrey all you want to but the people who were giving him a total pass before the season even started should share some of this.  He's in his 3rd year of a free pass.  It has to end sometime.

PoormansRobbyHampton

I personally am frustrated because of the free pass. We saw how well it worked out with Hootie, so why are we doing the same? Is the class good on paper? Yeah, it is. Is Pelphrey bad in real life? Yeah, he is.

I just don't understand the crippling fear some have that these recruits will leave if we make a coaching change. Don't they want to do the Lebron thing and play with their pals? I'd be willing to bet that no other place in the country has five openings for all of them. Space could be made, but so what? Fire Pel and let the chips fall where they may. If we lose one or two recruits, so be it. It's still a good class and our talent level will still be very attractive to the new coach.

NWASooner

If we fired Pel and brought in a decent coach, they'd still come here.  I get tired of being held hostage by what these kids might or might not do.

The truth is, if Pel stays, next season will be a disaster regardless of whether those recruits come or not.

dddollars

Yes sooner fans were told there season did not matter this year... Because when you lose to Arkansas its time to give up.

nwarazfan

Quote from: NWASooner on February 10, 2011, 08:18:59 am
If we fired Pel and brought in a decent coach, they'd still come here.  I get tired of being held hostage by what these kids might or might not do.

The truth is, if Pel stays, next season will be a disaster regardless of whether those recruits come or not.

"we"? 

I don't know if any season doesn't matter.  But the reasonable expectation for this team would have been for them to be about where they are now give or take a W/L or two.  Except for different reasons those that have wanted him fired and the overly optimistic homers both built this team up as one that could have won well over 20 games and been an NCAAT lock which are ridiculous.  That this team had a potential All American forward who could lead them to a great seaon.  Unrealistic.  I knew this would be how it would go.  Once the team got into the SEC and started losing that our fan base would lose their minds.  I also expected the attacks on Long when they didn't think they were going to get their way and the rumors about player unrest.  Anything they can come up with to help what they think can bring about change because they believe that the w/l record won't be enough.  The post about fans becoming desperate it is true. 

forrest city joe

February 10, 2011, 08:40:38 am #5 Last Edit: February 10, 2011, 08:45:55 am by forrest city joe
Quote from: nwarazfan on February 10, 2011, 08:31:02 am
"we"? 

I don't know if any season doesn't matter.  But the reasonable expectation for this team would have been for them to be about where they are now give or take a W/L or two.  Except for different reasons those that have wanted him fired and the overly optimistic homers both built this team up as one that could have won well over 20 games and been an NCAAT lock which are ridiculous.  That this team had a potential All American forward who could lead them to a great seaon.  Unrealistic.  I knew this would be how it would go.  Once the team got into the SEC and started losing that our fan base would lose their minds.  I also expected the attacks on Long when they didn't think they were going to get their way and the rumors about player unrest.  Anything they can come up with to help what they think can bring about change because they believe that the w/l record won't be enough.  The post about fans becoming desperate it is true. 
What planet are you living on?i have wanted Pel's butt fired sice he went 2 and 15, in sec play almost 2 years ago. i told everyone on this board if we did not fire him then, we would be having this same conversation years from now.(well it's 2 years later)and the idea that folks are just looking for stuff to get pitiful Pel fired is nonesense. he's doing that all by himself with this trainwreck program.they are not where they should be this year. they played a bunch of H.S. teams in the none confrence, and piled up a lot of wins. then they starting playing in the terrible sec. and starting losing lot's of games in it. LSU has not won one game since they beat arkansas. if i were in charge. i would have fired Pel,s butt 2 years ago. stop blamming others for him being the worst coach in the history of arkansas basketball.

nwarazfan

Quote from: forrest city joe on February 10, 2011, 08:40:38 am
What planet are you living on?i have wanted Pel's butt fired sice he went 2 and 15, in sec play almost 2 years ago. i told everyone on this board if we did not fire him then, we would be having this same conversation years from now.(well it's 2 years later)and the idea that folks are just looking fore stuff to get pitiful Pel fired is nonesense. he's doing that all by himself with this trainwreck program.they are not where they should be this year. they played a bunch of H.S. teams in the none confrence, and piled up a lot of wins. then they starting playing in the terrible sec. and starting losing lot's of games in it. LSU has not won one game since they beat arkansas. if i were in charge. i would have fired Pel,s butt 2 years ago. stop blamming others for him being the worst coach in the history of arkansas basketball.

Wilson and the other mods prevent me from conversing with you.

forrest city joe

Quote from: nwarazfan on February 10, 2011, 08:41:28 am
Wilson and the other mods prevent me from conversing with you.
Good! because people like you are part of the problem. opinion is one thing. being blind about Pel, and making excuses is another.

Toad Suck Pork

Free passes for anything employment related rarely work out well.  All they do is set a precedent that it's ok to be mediocre.

nwarazfan

Quote from: PoormansRobbyHampton on February 10, 2011, 02:00:30 am
I personally am frustrated because of the free pass. We saw how well it worked out with Hootie, so why are we doing the same? Is the class good on paper? Yeah, it is. Is Pelphrey bad in real life? Yeah, he is.

I just don't understand the crippling fear some have that these recruits will leave if we make a coaching change. Don't they want to do the Lebron thing and play with their pals? I'd be willing to bet that no other place in the country has five openings for all of them. Space could be made, but so what? Fire Pel and let the chips fall where they may. If we lose one or two recruits, so be it. It's still a good class and our talent level will still be very attractive to the new coach.

The recruits signed on to be Razorbacks.  We'll be fine there with a coaching change.

Forgetting the impact of Petrino and football on the decision, just from a basketball program perspective it did not make sense to continue with Pelphrey past last season.  The fan support was already declining last season. The team we had returning was not going to be good enough to bring that back.  He has had too much trouble building relationships with the players he has recruited.  This ugliness was very predictable even last March when it was obvious Pel was coming back. 

The Boar War

I don't know if any season doesn't matter.  But the reasonable expectation for this team would have been for them to be about where they are now give or take a W/L or two. 

Maybe.  But a reasonable expectation (at least at this level) is not to have a team with such limitations.  I have some questions about his on court coaching ability but much more doubt about his ability to field an effective team.

nwarazfan

Quote from: The Boar War on February 10, 2011, 08:54:46 am
Maybe.  But a reasonable expectation (at least at this level) is not to have a team with such limitations.  I have some questions about his on court coaching ability but much more doubt about his ability to field an effective team.

I agree. I've had that concern almost since we hired him.

The Hogfather

"we"? 

This post is right on.  You've been on fire lately.

The Hogfather

Quote from: forrest city joe on February 10, 2011, 08:40:38 am
i told everyone on this board if we did not fire him then, we would be having this same conversation years from now.

You also told us 2 years ago (during the 1st half of that season) that we need lock Pelphrey up and you were so glad Hawg Ball was back.  If we win 4 more games this season and then win 25 with Pelphrey as our coach next season, you'll be right back saying, "Ive.changed my mindabout pEl.I think he jUST.needed a chanceTO ge.t all of his players in.HAWG bALL i.s. BACK!"