Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Scale of 1-5, How satisfied are you in the hiring of Coach Morris?

Started by Sweet Feet, December 05, 2017, 08:47:04 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

How satisfied are you in the hiring of Chad Morris?

112 (19.2%)
164 (28.1%)
120 (20.5%)
59 (10.1%)
129 (22.1%)

Total Members Voted: 582

WaltonCollege

If he brings on Kiffin as OC and Brent as DC I may be happy. But no not happy right now.

jabberjawls

On the other hand, nearly 60% are 3 and below with a big fat 1 leading the way at over 28%.

urkillnmesmalls

Quote from: WoooPigNation on December 05, 2017, 09:27:39 pm
I disagree. I think HV is a good way to check the heartbeat of the fan base. Tell me administration doesn't look at HV and I will call you a liar. I know they do.

Well, then they completely ignored the site on this one.  I didn't see more than a few who threw their support behind Morris over Norvell, Venables, or Kiffin...who Hogville pegged as being the most likely candidates. 

They are NOT going to go hire a coach based on what they read on Hogville.  That would be a level of stupid that I can't even fathom. 
I've never wanted a Hog coach to be successful more than I do for Pittman.  He's one of the good guys.

SchrodingersHog

Quote from: WoooPigNation on December 05, 2017, 09:27:39 pm
I disagree. I think HV is a good way to check the heartbeat of the fan base. Tell me administration doesn't look at HV and I will call you a liar. I know they do.

So you're saying the admin is looking at HV right now and they might change their minds if the Morris hire isn't greeted with cheers?

Whether you call me a liar or not is irrelevant.  About as irrelevant as the opinions on HV.  The admin, the BOT, and the big donors run the program.  We just come to HV to vent or get a pat on the back from others of like mind.  Don't mistake a bunch of anonymous internet time wasters for something more important.

RazorHog50

How many people said that Gus Malzahn was just a high school football coach and would never make it in the SEC and look what happened every coach has to have a starting point the best coaches in the country did not start out as the best.

SSFrazorback

Quote from: RazorChuck on December 05, 2017, 09:04:50 pm
So pissed, not happy, I hope the next that the PTB are taking a plane ride it crashes and they all die.

Delete your account.

Sweet Feet

leroyhawg

God Loves a Working man, dont trust Whitey and darn from Shinola. Navin

Navin Johnson

OperationRestoreHawgBall

I've been banned for exercising freedom of speech and criticizing the performance of head coaches, yet this trash stands?

Quote from: sir-pigs-a-lot on December 05, 2017, 09:30:02 pm
We cool with posts like this now? Is that what passes as good , civil debate?

pigzcanfly

The Kig

Poker Porker

urkillnmesmalls

Quote from: WoooPigNation on December 05, 2017, 09:29:51 pm
Overboard or Passionate?

I'm going with Choice C.  Juvenile, disgraceful, and ban worthy.  Would you want someone saying something like that about your family members?  Try engaging your brain before you type. 
I've never wanted a Hog coach to be successful more than I do for Pittman.  He's one of the good guys.

IronHog

Iron sharpens iron, So one man sharpens another.

hogsanity

When this started people said the new coach needed to be innovative on offense have Texas ties have at last coordinator experience in a p5 league. Morris tags all of those things. Only drawback for me is if he cant get a top dc.
People ask me what I do in winter when there is no baseball.  I will tell you what I do. I stare out the window, and I wait for spring.

"Anything goes wrong, anything at all, your fault, my fault, nobodies fault, I'm going to blow your head off."  John Wayne in BIG JAKE

urkillnmesmalls

Quote from: hogsanity on December 05, 2017, 10:37:24 pm

When this started people said the new coach needed to be innovative on offense have Texas ties have at last coordinator experience in a p5 league. Morris tags all of those things. Only drawback for me is if he cant get a top dc.

If there is one thing that Hogville clings to that will NEVER change, it is this completely fallacy that we can do less with more, that we're missing kids in Arkansas that would turn the program around, and the right coach can overcome that deficiency. 

I will NEVER agree with that.  Do the top schools get recruiting ranking bumps when they are in on kids?  Absolutely.  Will a team outside the top 10 in recruting win a NC again someday?  Probably.  Will a team outside the top 25 win one...doubtful, because that's a BIG gap. 

So...my FIRST instinct when I saw the hire was..."They are going all in on getting back into TX, and doing what absolutely HAS to happen....impove our recruiting dramatically." 

Just maybe...maybe we can play with the elite teams from time to time if we can recruit better, which as been proven TIME AND TIME again as being the biggest factor in winning in big time football. 

AGAIN...the NC always has a recruiting average that is inside the top 10.  We're not even close.  Let's up our game there..and see what happens. 

darkstar

I will let you know in 2 to 3 years.    Results will tell all....

ronmahony

I said 4, I don't see why everyone is so mad about. Man this guy recruited and developed Deshawn Watson, developed Clemson's offense. Do any of you do any research? In just his third year at SMU, who didn't have any talent before he got there, he had a three thousand yard passer and a thousand yard rusher. This is going to be like Petrino without the bike rides. I am very excited about next year.
"If you are able, save for them a place inside of you and save one backward glance when you are leaving for the places they can no longer go.
     Be not ashamed to say you loved them, though you may or may not have always. Take what they have taught you with their dying and keep it with your own.

And in that time when men decide and feel safe to call the war insane, take one moment to embrace those gentle heroes you left behind.

longpig

Don't be scared, be smart.

longpig

Don't be scared, be smart.

hogfanny

hog911

Quote from: HenduHog on December 05, 2017, 09:01:13 pm
How many B***S*** threads do you all have to post.

Yeah, I get it. You ain't happy   Go find another f***ing team to root for.

Well I'm sorry losing isn't my favorite past time! It will take lots of pills or a lobotomy to enjoy this one!

MissippHog

Quote from: RazorChuck on December 05, 2017, 09:04:50 pm
So pissed, not happy, I hope the next that the PTB are taking a plane ride it crashes and they all die.
Amazing what the mods allow / don't allow on here. 

LZH

Quote from: NuttinItUp on December 05, 2017, 09:20:54 pm
Dude, don't be like that. We are classier than that.

True, but he was prolly drunk and just lashing out - like many of us feel....underwhelmed.

Kneph13

3 hopeful but will probably get my heart broken as usual.

At least it isn't Lame Kiffin or that Auburn coach.  Downside to that is, all the Bus'ers have jumped on the Kiffin jock and we will have to listen to that for no telling how long.
There is no Political Correctness in war

Hawgzinbowlz

Depends would be appropriate for many posters.

100% support until our new coach doesn't deserve it.

" GO HOGS "

LJHOG

3  He's a "well somebody has to coach 'em" kinda hire.  The real question is who is going to be the next coach.

The real Hogules

If 1 is the lowest in satisfaction, then I'm a -4.
If 5 is the highest level of dissatisfaction then I'm a 10..................................
Bobby's back and he ain't here to paint!

HogFan219

Pretty telling results so far. Slightly more people give him a 4 or 5 than a 1 or 2. The 3's are the swing voters who probably just want to win and are being a little cautious. That's understandable. With the exception of hiring a Jimbo, Saban, or Harbaugh (three random major names who would NEVER come here, just examples), then I bet you would get roughly the same results.

Unfortunately, we have too many people who care more about drama and controversy instead of just wishing the guy well and being patient to see what he does on the field. Morris wasn't my first or second choice either, but that doesn't mean I'm going to cover myself in sackcloth and pour gravel through my hair because my main guy wasn't picked. Hell, maybe my favorites decided they didn't want it for whatever reason.

My support for the Hogs outweighs any selfish desire I might have for a particular coach. Just win baby. Go Hogs!

farmhawg

Quote from: HenduHog on December 05, 2017, 09:01:13 pm
How many B***S*** threads do you all have to post.

Yeah, I get it. You ain't happy   Go find another f***ing team to root for.

From theflyinghog

Jeff Long is sitting around drinking some fruity girl drink and reading this and realizing he was the wrong man for the job. We're crazy. We love us some damn hog football. There may be a bunch of suits sitting behind glass on gameday but dammit you better not cross us airplane-tracking, fence-jumping, hangar-breakin-entering night-vision purchasin sumbitches! We're Miracle on Markham and 4th and 25, 7 overtime-winning tear down the goalposts and drag em down Dickson because you ain't goin to the BCS, fat phil!! BRING ME A COACH WITH A PAIR AND SACRIFICE A VIRGIN CUZ ITS TIME TO FUSCING WIN!!!!

nwahogfan1

Let me see.  The committee got a list of applicants who wanted the job and interviewed them. Some were just fishing for more money or whatever and they bowed out early.   Gus used for a money and security but I am sure there was others.   So we can not count  them who ever they were.  We evaluated and interviewed our top candidates and Morris finished number 1 for various reasons.  I think Norvell and Sexton wanted too much money and security for what we wanted to play for a young coach.  I heard he wanted double his current salary.

I am going to believe our committee got us the best coach with the lest amount of dirty laundry, risks, liabilities and the money we wanted to pay.    Unless we were there we just do not know what the committee knows. 

Lets see what happens.  I am sure the truth will come out who was actually interested and who were just fishing so we can be more satisfied with the committees selection. 

farmhawg

Quote from: LJHOG on December 06, 2017, 05:20:06 am
3  He's a "well somebody has to coach 'em" kinda hire.  The real question is who is going to be the next coach.
He will be here as long as he wants. Petrino without the baggage.
From theflyinghog

Jeff Long is sitting around drinking some fruity girl drink and reading this and realizing he was the wrong man for the job. We're crazy. We love us some damn hog football. There may be a bunch of suits sitting behind glass on gameday but dammit you better not cross us airplane-tracking, fence-jumping, hangar-breakin-entering night-vision purchasin sumbitches! We're Miracle on Markham and 4th and 25, 7 overtime-winning tear down the goalposts and drag em down Dickson because you ain't goin to the BCS, fat phil!! BRING ME A COACH WITH A PAIR AND SACRIFICE A VIRGIN CUZ ITS TIME TO FUSCING WIN!!!!

HawgWyld

Quote from: farmhawg on December 06, 2017, 07:11:20 am
He will be here as long as he wants. Petrino without the baggage.

Man, I hope that turns out to be the case.

1dayinthelifeofporkiepig

Quote from: ronmahony on December 06, 2017, 12:25:56 am
I said 4, I don't see why everyone is so mad about. Man this guy recruited and developed Deshawn Watson, developed Clemson's offense. Do any of you do any research? In just his third year at SMU, who didn't have any talent before he got there, he had a three thousand yard passer and a thousand yard rusher. This is going to be like Petrino without the bike rides. I am very excited about next year.

I gave him a 5. With his body of work, I'm excited about the Razorbacks again. Trey Briddy said recruiting kids to SMU is harder than recruiting to Vanderbilt due to SMU's strict private school enrollment policy. That being said, the deck was stacked against him at SMU & he still in just 3 years turned their program from a dumpster fire into a bowl team. If for some reason, it doesn't work out, we'll move on. Tennessee has been moving on since the departure of Phil Fulmer & I'm sure with the right hire there, they'll be excited about football again too.

Hawgsyodaddy?

If I were looking into buying a car, I'd go with one virtually every independent review and mechanic spoke highly of, not the one with the flashiest commercial.  Those who are man-crushing on Kiffin and his Twitter account would probably go out and buy a car because they saw Mathew McConaughey drive it on TV.  If Gus is a Chevy, Morris is a GMC.  Same truck.
If you've been around coaching you understand that it's best not to take a snap shot of someone's career and view it independently of any context.  Norvell will most likely be good some day, but he would be a very risky hire.  What if he's peaked?  What of he's living off Fuente's talent?  What if he's just a few years away from being seasoned enough for the SEC?  Not saying that's the case, but if you're the one responsible for making the hire, those are the things you have to consider.  What Morris is guilty of is choosing SMU as his first HC job.  Had he stayed at Clemson the last 3 years, those who don't understand that,  once a program tanks to the point of SMU, year-to-year improvement is the way to build it for the long haul, would be  extatic over this hire.
My rating:  4, AND higher if we get a good DC.

Pecos Hog

I'm all in!     Why not?   Let's give him a shot.    So much better than what we had!    Looking forward to things to come.     And I expect to see some to these talented high school prospects down here in Texas coming to Arkansas.     

Welcome Coach Morris and WPS!

waterboy

Quote from: 1dayinthelifeofporkiepig on December 06, 2017, 07:43:53 am
I gave him a 5. With his body of work, I'm excited about the Razorbacks again. Trey Briddy said recruiting kids to SMU is harder than recruiting to Vanderbilt due to SMU's strict private school enrollment policy. That being said, the deck was stacked against him at SMU & he still in just 3 years turned their program from a dumpster fire into a bowl team. If for some reason, it doesn't work out, we'll move on. Tennessee has been moving on since the departure of Phil Fulmer & I'm sure with the right hire there, they'll be excited about football again too.
Agree. He is a very good coach. Let's give him a chance.

Albert Einswine

Quote from: IronHog on December 05, 2017, 09:02:31 pm
I said 3.

Safe hire.  Not exciting.  Better than BB

I said 4.

Safe hire. NOT Malzahn! (I can't stress the importance of dodging the Gus Malzahn bullet enough.) Better than Bielema.

If it works out it should really work out well, if it doesn't it won't be difficult to part company. (See NOT hanging the Gus albatross around the program's neck above.)
"Funny thing, I become a hell of a good fisherman when the trout decide to commit suicide." ~ John D. Voelker

WBOBO

The difference between ordinary and extraordinary is that little extra.

Pig in the Pokey

probably about the same chance for success as malzahn, who wasnt going to "win big" here.  Much lower ceiling than Kiffin or Norvell.

Arkansas may not be a win at all costs program, but since our top 2 candidates were from the two all time cheater schools, SMU and Auburn, maybe we'll at least buy some kids now.  :-[
You must be on one if you think i aint on one! ¥420¥   «roastin da bomb in fayettenam» Purspirit Gang
@Slackaveli

HogFansReunited

I voted 4.  I think Norvell would have been a 5 but the U of A pass on him.  If you actually look at his body of work, you will see that he is a good coach.  He has already shown that he wants to have the best assistants work with him on the defensive side of the ball.  Give the man some time and we could be saying the this was the best hire ever.
My girl told me to whisper something sexy in her ear...so I leaned in and said....Dominic Fletcher.

Quote from: WorfHog on April 05, 2019, 11:26:00 pm
Remember when Auburn dog piled AND THEY LOST!

Member #3568

mlloyd4

I'm not satisfied at all. I wanted Nick Saban. And, the fact of the matter is, we would have gotten Nick Saban... if Hogville would have really been behind it.
WPS

Captain Hogthrob

Finish each day and be done with it. You have done what you could. Some blunders and absurdities no doubt crept in; forget them as soon as you can. Tomorrow is a new day; begin it well and serenely and with too high a spirit to be encumbered with your old nonsense.
-- Ralph Waldo Emerson

MikeB

hogsanity

Quote from: urkillnmesmalls on December 05, 2017, 11:19:53 pm
If there is one thing that Hogville clings to that will NEVER change, it is this completely fallacy that we can do less with more, that we're missing kids in Arkansas that would turn the program around, and the right coach can overcome that deficiency. 

I will NEVER agree with that.  Do the top schools get recruiting ranking bumps when they are in on kids?  Absolutely.  Will a team outside the top 10 in recruting win a NC again someday?  Probably.  Will a team outside the top 25 win one...doubtful, because that's a BIG gap. 

So...my FIRST instinct when I saw the hire was..."They are going all in on getting back into TX, and doing what absolutely HAS to happen....impove our recruiting dramatically." 

Just maybe...maybe we can play with the elite teams from time to time if we can recruit better, which as been proven TIME AND TIME again as being the biggest factor in winning in big time football. 

AGAIN...the NC always has a recruiting average that is inside the top 10.  We're not even close.  Let's up our game there..and see what happens. 

Completely agree about the " do more with less " garbage. You might out scheme someone, you might catch someone flat, but way more often than not the team with the best players wins the game.

Personally, I do not fall into the "recruit Texas harder" camp either. Texas has a dozen or so fbs programs in state, plus OU and OSU hit north texas hard, and LSU gets into SE Texas. On top of that teams like Bama and Ohio St and other top programs come in and cherry pick, so the Hogs are in there rooting around for left overs for the most part.

I have been saying since I joined this place, and even longer than that actually, until some coach finds a way to get us CONSISTENTLY in the top 15 of recruiting, and is able to improve the defense in doing so, the Hogs are going to be what they have been since joining the SEC, a 7 -8 win on average program. They will have years, when things fall just right, like 95, 98, 02, 06, 07, 10 & 11 ( although 95 and 02 were not great record wise, they did go to the seccg ).
People ask me what I do in winter when there is no baseball.  I will tell you what I do. I stare out the window, and I wait for spring.

"Anything goes wrong, anything at all, your fault, my fault, nobodies fault, I'm going to blow your head off."  John Wayne in BIG JAKE

hoginator

Someone who doesn't stand for something will fall for anything...

bob slydell

I'm actually quite a bit more satisfied with this hire than I was with the Bielema hire.  I have a much better feeling about this one.
*this is not a criticism of moderatin.

IronHog

Quote from: hogsanity on December 06, 2017, 08:44:18 am
Completely agree about the " do more with less " garbage. You might out scheme someone, you might catch someone flat, but way more often than not the team with the best players wins the game.

Personally, I do not fall into the "recruit Texas harder" camp either. Texas has a dozen or so fbs programs in state, plus OU and OSU hit north texas hard, and LSU gets into SE Texas. On top of that teams like Bama and Ohio St and other top programs come in and cherry pick, so the Hogs are in there rooting around for left overs for the most part.

I have been saying since I joined this place, and even longer than that actually, until some coach finds a way to get us CONSISTENTLY in the top 15 of recruiting, and is able to improve the defense in doing so, the Hogs are going to be what they have been since joining the SEC, a 7 -8 win on average program. They will have years, when things fall just right, like 95, 98, 02, 06, 07, 10 & 11 ( although 95 and 02 were not great record wise, they did go to the seccg ).

All you need is a better QB and decent OL to outperform
Iron sharpens iron, So one man sharpens another.