Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Keep Stan Heath?

Started by Ft.SmithHog, March 19, 2005, 08:04:06 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Biggus Piggus

Not only zero improvement, but after Heath challenged them all with a big hoity toity team meeting, they collectively tanked the game.  Had a close to zero-effort rebounding and defensive game.  Even the Tennessee players thought we threw the game.  What does a coach do about that?  What can he?  Do you really want him to burn it down and start over?  Or do you want a real coach?  (Don't worry, the latter isn't going to happen.  We're safe from good basketball for one more season.)
[CENSORED]!

Ft.SmithHog

Heath will sink without a true PG.  So let start making a list of possible replacements

Call Mr. Sow

The fact is, this coach has been a miserable failure in a number of key respects, from teaching basketball fundamentals to dealing with team chemistry problems.  I cannot fathom how we've now gone 4 years without recruiting a single SEC caliber guard or even a shooter.  Does anyone really expect any of the recruits we have coming in next year to be the answer? 

Our team out and out collapsed at the end of this season in a way no Razorback squad has done in my lifetime.  And they were thorougly bewildered by a basic 3-2 zone defense the last half of the season. 

Heath did a good job of bringing in talent at several positions on the floor (that and his ability to conduct a presser without referencing slave ships and rednecks are his only saving graces in my book), but his failure to even consider that we might need a halfway decent point guard or someone who could shoot the ball from 14 feet out is a failure the likes of which we haven't seen from a Hog coach in a very long time indeed. 

I realize that we were 'almost in' with a hotshot point guard in recruiting last season (or was it the year before that?), but to not have a legitimate fallback when that one (Gibson?) got away is simply unconscionable.

Keep Stan Heath?  Sure.  Winning isn't everything, right?

tophawg19

THEIRS ABOUT 100 THAT WOULD BE AN IMPROVEMENT BUT THEY COST MONEY BOTH WOMENS & MENS NEED TO BE REPLACED NOW ..........
if you ain't a hawg you ain't chitlins

Biggus Piggus

Quote from: Call Mr. Sow on March 22, 2005, 06:08:07 pm
The fact is, this coach has been a miserable failure in a number of key respects, from teaching basketball fundamentals to dealing with team chemistry problems. I cannot fathom how we've now gone 4 years without recruiting a single SEC caliber guard or even a shooter. Does anyone really expect any of the recruits we have coming in next year to be the answer?

Our team out and out collapsed at the end of this season in a way no Razorback squad has done in my lifetime. And they were thorougly bewildered by a basic 3-2 zone defense the last half of the season.

Heath did a good job of bringing in talent at several positions on the floor (that and his ability to conduct a presser without referencing slave ships and rednecks are his only saving graces in my book), but his failure to even consider that we might need a halfway decent point guard or someone who could shoot the ball from 14 feet out is a failure the likes of which we haven't seen from a Hog coach in a very long time indeed.

I realize that we were 'almost in' with a hotshot point guard in recruiting last season (or was it the year before that?), but to not have a legitimate fallback when that one (Gibson?) got away is simply unconscionable.

Keep Stan Heath? Sure. Winning isn't everything, right?

Wish I could have your post bronzed.  Much sharper than all my blather.
[CENSORED]!

SwineOfTheTimes

I have a source at UofA that says the Stan Heath firing is a done deal. They are just working out the details.

Biggus Piggus

Quote from: SwineOfTheTimes on March 26, 2005, 10:54:19 pm
I have a source at UofA that says the Stan Heath firing is a done deal. They are just working out the details.

And I have one that says Heath is staying but also under pressure to make some changes.
[CENSORED]!

SardisHog

Quote from: SwineOfTheTimes on March 26, 2005, 10:54:19 pm

As much as I want to believe that I think your "Source" is out of the loop. BTW Fire Stan
"You're only given a little spark of madness. You mustn't lose it."<br />- Robin Williams

Anti-OtisII

Quote from: tophawg19 on March 19, 2005, 10:19:05 pm
got to have a P G to run we don't have one . mccurdy may not be the answer . you don't want a freshmen running the team
we have no direction & no clue how to make adjustments on the floor as the game goes on .

Louisville doesn't have a true PG.  I would suspect that a true PG is a lot more important in a half court offense.

Quote from: WilsonHog on March 20, 2005, 09:57:34 am
Details, gentlemen, just details.

Cut to the chase - did we win an acceptable number of games, and perform well enough in those games, to keep the fan base happy?

Yay, or nay?

The rest are just details.

NAY.  This team played worse at the end of the SEC conf. schedule (when everything was on the line) than it did in the first half against better competition.  There were no injuries (Jones was hardly playing) that could explain this dramatic decline.  Other teams' coaches just discovered how to play us and our coaching staff could not counter with their own corrections.  Not a good sign for our coaching staff.  That said....he obviously is going to get one more year so he better start figuring something out.   

tophawg19

it's wrong to build up a guy's hopes .
if you ain't a hawg you ain't chitlins

hogindallas

Guys, I agree SH is lacking...not a SH lover, but not a basher either.  He's done a good job recruiting...PERIOD...argue what you will about that.  Al J.'s commitment to us (to me) was big as far as him making it public knowledge he liked our program and chose it over MANY others. That helps us get into other bluchip's doors in the future.  I also thought at the time, he'd at least end up here at least 1 yr, then he went pro and actually had a good year.
I think the honest answer is...SH is literally learning on the job  about big time SEC basketball...like it or not, that's what we hired.  I think he'll be a great coach, and that Hipsher's exp. will pay HUGE dividends in that dept.  Having an exp'd guy to run ideas by..to consult...to pitch in fresh ideas, schemes, techniques.  Also..my "gut feeling" is..with no proof..just a hunch..I think SH is Mr. Nice Guy coach in the huddle and locker room...a good "kick in the ass" coach..(ahem...yes, like Nolan)...is needed in situations. I also think Hipsher could play "bad cop" in these situations.  I believe we'll see Heath get us back to the dance this year and cont. to make improvement from this point on...we'll see.

MJ2

He will be gone by next May.  Either on his own, or with Frank's help.   But then who?

Doc Holiday

1 more year...thats it....I've read all the excuses about rebuilding and so on.......does anyone remeber Mike Anderson....hmmmm...he made it to the dance....without  the big Bud Walton to play in....

sooie dog

Quote from: Doc Holiday on June 30, 2005, 03:37:43 pm
1 more year...thats it....I've read all the excuses about rebuilding and so on.......does anyone remeber Mike Anderson....hmmmm...he made it to the dance....without the big Bud Walton to play in....

2 times

JD Hogg

We've given precious 8 years.  Fairness dictates that we give Stan at least the full five.  If we're not significantly better after year five, then it's apparent that Stan hasn't learned anything about coaching in the SEC.  Besides, Stan has stood up and said it was his fault when they've lost.  That's a 180 degree turn from what I hear during the football season and it is refreshing.  HD got his 2 years, give SH his.

Hope that clears all this up for everyone.  If not, let me know.  ;)
JD

Call Mr. Sow

Quote from: JD Hogg on July 01, 2005, 09:08:11 am
We've given precious 8 years. Fairness dictates that we give Stan at least the full five. If we're not significantly better after year five, then it's apparent that Stan hasn't learned anything about coaching in the SEC. Besides, Stan has stood up and said it was his fault when they've lost. That's a 180 degree turn from what I hear during the football season and it is refreshing. HD got his 2 years, give SH his.

Hope that clears all this up for everyone. If not, let me know. ;)
JD

Nutt greatly improved the program when he got here (say what you will about him using Ford's players, but Ford got us to back to back 4-7s, and before that we lost to the [CENSORED] Citadel), and though we've been backsliding for a while now, we haven't yet gotten back to the level of suckitude that existed before he came here.  Don't get me wrong, I want to get rid of Nutt as much as you do, but to compare being patient with Nutt and being patient with Heath is ludicrous.  After 2 years, most everyone was exstatic with Nutt, to the extent we went from abyssmal attendance to adding on to the stadium.

On the other hand, though Nolan left the cupboard bare, Heath has shown almost no progress whatsoever, and under his watch, the team collapsed in a way I have never seen a Hog team collapse.  They quit and their coach encouraged them to do it.  This is unacceptable.

We did not hire Heath with the understanding that he was going to have to learn on the job, we assumed his performance in the NCAAs was not a fluke.  We were wrong, and it's time to cut bait.  Saying we need to give Heath 5 years is ridiculous. 

JD Hogg

Quote from: Call Mr. Sow on July 01, 2005, 09:43:58 am
Quote from: JD Hogg on July 01, 2005, 09:08:11 am
We've given precious 8 years. Fairness dictates that we give Stan at least the full five. If we're not significantly better after year five, then it's apparent that Stan hasn't learned anything about coaching in the SEC. Besides, Stan has stood up and said it was his fault when they've lost. That's a 180 degree turn from what I hear during the football season and it is refreshing. HD got his 2 years, give SH his.

Hope that clears all this up for everyone. If not, let me know. ;)
JD

Nutt greatly improved the program when he got here (say what you will about him using Ford's players, but Ford got us to back to back 4-7s, and before that we lost to the farging Citadel), and though we've been backsliding for a while now, we haven't yet gotten back to the level of suckitude that existed before he came here. Don't get me wrong, I want to get rid of Nutt as much as you do, but to compare being patient with Nutt and being patient with Heath is ludicrous. After 2 years, most everyone was exstatic with Nutt, to the extent we went from abyssmal attendance to adding on to the stadium.

On the other hand, though Nolan left the cupboard bare, Heath has shown almost no progress whatsoever, and under his watch, the team collapsed in a way I have never seen a Hog team collapse. They quit and their coach encouraged them to do it. This is unacceptable.

We did not hire Heath with the understanding that he was going to have to learn on the job, we assumed his performance in the NCAAs was not a fluke. We were wrong, and it's time to cut bait. Saying we need to give Heath 5 years is ridiculous.

I assume you're an American, and as such, have a right to an opinion, just as I.  And, because of that, I will refrain from calling your opinion ludicrous and ridiculous.

With that said, I can tell by your post that you are a passionate Razorback fan, and I can appreciate that.  But what I see in SH is a man that is willing to take responsibility for the team's failures.  When a man takes responsibility, then I believe he is going to do whatever is necessary to get the job done.  Does this mean that he will inevitably succeed?  No, but it does mean that he can learn from his mistakes and try to do better.  By the events that took place over the past few months, I can see where SH is trying to learn from others.  I believe he hired this new assistant that has a lot of experience because Coach Broyles, in his infinite wisdom, wanted him to.  To me, this demonstrates an ability on SH's part to listen and learn.

On the other hand, I think HDN petitioned for the LSU job because he was mad that Coach Broyles made him hire a better defensive coordinator.  To me, this demonstrates stubborness and an unwillingness to change that will hurt the program in the long run.

I can't nor want to refute any of your post.  It all makes sense.  However, I hope now that you can see why I would have such ludicrous and ridiculous opinions.

Thanks for reading.

bricklayer

Heath seems like a nice guy and that scares me.  Every time in the last couple of years that I've seen the Hogs in a desperate situation, Heath isn't there lighting a fire under their ass or motivating them to go out and compete harder.  Look at all the successful coaches in the NCAA.  They have one thing in common and that's being extremely competitive.  Granted they have lots of talent on their teams, but you take Coach K, Pitino, Izzo, or Roy Williams and they are all competitive guys who are CONSTANTLY coaching on the sidelines, making adjustments, and motivating their players to compete at a high level on the court.  Heath just doesn't appear to know how to do that.

Rocky&Boarwinkle

Quote from: tophawg19 on March 20, 2005, 09:47:39 am
yes we had a chance at al j . but we missed on other needs dontell was a gamble at a time when we couldn't afford it .
if you have to take a chance on a player make it on a freshmen . if your wrong he still has time to develop 4 yrs .

I argue the other way.  If (haha) he's a bust, then he's gone after 2, not 4 years of wasting our time.

Call Mr. Sow

Quote from: JD Hogg on July 01, 2005, 10:35:40 am
I assume you're an American, and as such, have a right to an opinion, just as I. And, because of that, I will refrain from calling your opinion ludicrous and ridiculous.

Feel free to call any of my opinions ludicrous or ridiculous if you want.  That's kind of the point to these newsgroups.  We don't argue over FACTS, but opinions.  And my opinion is that some of your contentions were ludicrous and ridiculous.  I get the idea that there's no good reason for a bunch of name-calling and getting personal on these boards, and I don't do that.  But I think getting defensive over having your opinions riduculed is a little over the top.  But for your sensibilities, I'll try to couch my response in more delicate terms.

Quote from: JD Hogg on July 01, 2005, 10:35:40 am
But what I see in SH is a man that is willing to take responsibility for the team's failures. When a man takes responsibility, then I believe he is going to do whatever is necessary to get the job done. Does this mean that he will inevitably succeed? No, but it does mean that he can learn from his mistakes and try to do better. By the events that took place over the past few months, I can see where SH is trying to learn from others. I believe he hired this new assistant that has a lot of experience because Coach Broyles, in his infinite wisdom, wanted him to. To me, this demonstrates an ability on SH's part to listen and learn.

On the other hand, I think HDN petitioned for the LSU job because he was mad that Coach Broyles made him hire a better defensive coordinator. To me, this demonstrates stubborness and an unwillingness to change that will hurt the program in the long run.

I'm just going to remove HDN from the discussion here, since I believe both of us want him gone. 

You seem to be putting a lot of weight on Heath's willingness to accept blame, but I just don't see where his willingess to do that really helps us out.  When I go to a restaurant, if a chef screws up my meal, it doesn't help me any if he comes out of the kitchen to tell me he's sorry that he screwed up and will do better next time.  Now, imagine you've been going to the same restaurant for 3 years, and the meal is screwed up each time, and the chef comes out and apologizes each time.  Wouldn't you eventually just pick another restaurant? 

You say you see where Heath is trying to learn from others, but he certainly didn't demonstrate any willingness to do so before the wheels completely came off.  Hiring a new assistant in year 4 (presumably with Broyles holding a gun to his head) after quitting the season last year after he lost control of the team is not the most reassuring move, in my opinion. 

And besides, is it really all that noble to acknowledge failure when it is self-evident?  It doesn't take courage for me to admit to the world that I'm not a world-class athelete.

Biggus Piggus

Quote from: hogindallas on June 30, 2005, 03:11:33 pm
He's done a good job recruiting...PERIOD...argue what you will about that.
Al J.'s commitment to us (to me) was big as far as him making it public knowledge he liked our program and chose it over MANY others.
That helps us get into other bluchip's doors in the future.
I think he'll be a great coach, and that Hipsher's exp. will pay HUGE dividends in that dept.

Heath has a terrible record of recruiting guards.  Period.
Jefferson's brief flirtation with us will make no difference.  Winning or losing from this point on, will make all the difference.
I hope our second choice to fill the open job adds as much as you suggest.  No doubt, Heath needed a better staff.
[CENSORED]!

AFWarrior83

I think he can recruit, Arkansas is known for Basketball, but I don't know if he can coach?
Hogville member since 2005.

Theolesnort

Quote from: rathog1 on March 19, 2005, 10:34:52 pm
Quote from: Spamalot on March 19, 2005, 08:04:57 pm

Heath makes Guy Lewis look like a nimble tactician.

That's a little harsh!!!!
Yes it is. I've thought about this for a while and I don't think he would have lasted very long at Mich St if he were not bright and knowledgeable. Heath's problem to me is his connect to his team. It just seems to me that the team is not willing to buy into what he is selling. Even in our lacking in the point guard department we had enough talent on hand that if the team really believed in and liked their coach they would have been fairly good last season. We started out well enough but as the season progressed you could see how the team disconnected from the coach in more ways than one. Discipline, morale, you name it we got worse because Heath never had this team and it got worse as the season went on . Finally they flat quit on him and that is a fact! How does he get them back? Well if he can this year then he a much smarter man than I am. But you know what, I hope he does and is, yet my confidence level in his doing so is so low.
There's Nuttin in the world worth a solitary dime cept Old dogs and children and watermelon wine.

toshortrock

everybody knows that nolan left us a pile of darn,,,,lets see what Health does this year,,,if he can';t turn the corner or run right through,,,then go ahead and run him out of town,,,,let;s give him at least this year before all of u start crying again,,,i see alot of head coaches here talking darn,,,,,
Toshortrock,,,,,,GO HOGS/////

Amityvillehogger

July 05, 2005, 01:06:57 pm #74 Last Edit: July 05, 2005, 01:09:41 pm by Amityvillehogger
I swear, some of you people get your jollys off of posting fire heath, or keep heath.  Same with fire nutt, or should we keep him.  Get over it people.  Damn!  Their both staying.  End of story.  This is like kicking a dead horse.  How many times have we actually talked about this crap.
Member # 2987.
Registered - 02-23-2005

hoggerdinger

Stan is a good assistant coach.  He is in over his head at Arkansas.  Let him go to learn more and get us a head coach that is proven.  Heath is a good guy he's just not ready for the kind of program we need at Arkansas.

Biggus Piggus

Quote from: Theolesnort on July 05, 2005, 12:20:27 pm
Heath's problem to me is his connect to his team. It just seems to me that the team is not willing to buy into what he is selling.

Several things here.

I think the Arkansas job was the absolute wrong one for Heath, which is different from saying he's an idiot.  He has demonstrated that he was not well equipped for this challenge.  Heath has made numerous wrong turns in trying to rebuild a talent-empty, high-expectations program in a tough conference.  He was destined to make wrong turns; nothing in his career had prepared him for this.  The players who were to be the cornerstones of Nolan's declining program were deleted, and the bigs were very weak.

One of the most important things, in my view, is he moved into a region that was completely unfamiliar to him, and he worsened the challenge by hiring nobody with SEC ties.  When he had chances to hire anew, he refused to add someone from the region.  I think he has been groping to find talent wherever he can rather than drawing on a base of regional expertise.  Getting talent this way means paying little heed to how well the players fit together.  Did it make any sense to have four young wing players like Brewer, Modica, Famutimi and Hunter on the team at the same time, while the team was/is depleted of guards?  Note three of those are in-state kids.  It also means gambling on longshots (Lamptey, Al Jefferson) and crapping out.  Al J would have been as academically eligible as Lamptey was.  The inability to sign guards, that's another thing entirely.  That slowed us down more than anything else.  Sign one good guard in Brewer's class, and the Hogs would have been in postseason play last March.  My guess is if you put Heath back in Kent State, he'd be winning and building a powerhouse.

His ability to adjust to his available roster, once assembled and affected by injuries/other issues has not been good.  That is why he lost his team; the players lost confidence in his decisionmaking.  They saw him putting certain players in positions where they were sure to fail.  They saw him using a team with certain skills and forcing them to depend on the weakest parts of their game.  Do this, fail to recognize it, fail to sell it, fail to adjust when it is obviously the wrong way to go, and you lose a team fast.  Heath has done this three years running.  His record post mid-February is abysmal.

We should try to look for reasons for optimism.  Not relying on true freshmen and second-year sophomores.  The new assistant coach adds something the team has lacked.  Vincent Hunter is coming back off injury.  It's hard to write off Olu Famutimi as a problem resolved, but maybe that's true.  Brewer, Modica and whoever starts at center will be three solid starters.  Famutimi was one of our best outside shooters, but the shooting may get a little better overall.  An older team with better coaching may develop a stronger defensive concept, and that should decide how far this team goes. 

Defense will show whether they are reforming into a team again.  Heath's coaching of defense has been completely underwhelming.  If that does not change, he'll be gone in short order.
[CENSORED]!

hoggerdinger

If Stan were the Man, this wouldn't be the hottest topic on the bb.

Theolesnort

Quote from: Biggus Piggus on July 05, 2005, 01:38:54 pm
Quote from: Theolesnort on July 05, 2005, 12:20:27 pm
Heath's problem to me is his connect to his team. It just seems to me that the team is not willing to buy into what he is selling.

Several things here.

I think the Arkansas job was the absolute wrong one for Heath, which is different from saying he's an idiot. He has demonstrated that he was not well equipped for this challenge. Heath has made numerous wrong turns in trying to rebuild a talent-empty, high-expectations program in a tough conference. He was destined to make wrong turns; nothing in his career had prepared him for this. The players who were to be the cornerstones of Nolan's declining program were deleted, and the bigs were very weak.

One of the most important things, in my view, is he moved into a region that was completely unfamiliar to him, and he worsened the challenge by hiring nobody with SEC ties. When he had chances to hire anew, he refused to add someone from the region. I think he has been groping to find talent wherever he can rather than drawing on a base of regional expertise. Getting talent this way means paying little heed to how well the players fit together. Did it make any sense to have four young wing players like Brewer, Modica, Famutimi and Hunter on the team at the same time, while the team was/is depleted of guards? Note three of those are in-state kids. It also means gambling on longshots (Lamptey, Al Jefferson) and crapping out. Al J would have been as academically eligible as Lamptey was. The inability to sign guards, that's another thing entirely. That slowed us down more than anything else. Sign one good guard in Brewer's class, and the Hogs would have been in postseason play last March. My guess is if you put Heath back in Kent State, he'd be winning and building a powerhouse.

His ability to adjust to his available roster, once assembled and affected by injuries/other issues has not been good. That is why he lost his team; the players lost confidence in his decisionmaking. They saw him putting certain players in positions where they were sure to fail. They saw him using a team with certain skills and forcing them to depend on the weakest parts of their game. Do this, fail to recognize it, fail to sell it, fail to adjust when it is obviously the wrong way to go, and you lose a team fast. Heath has done this three years running. His record post mid-February is abysmal.

We should try to look for reasons for optimism. Not relying on true freshmen and second-year sophomores. The new assistant coach adds something the team has lacked. Vincent Hunter is coming back off injury. It's hard to write off Olu Famutimi as a problem resolved, but maybe that's true. Brewer, Modica and whoever starts at center will be three solid starters. Famutimi was one of our best outside shooters, but the shooting may get a little better overall. An older team with better coaching may develop a stronger defensive concept, and that should decide how far this team goes.

Defense will show whether they are reforming into a team again. Heath's coaching of defense has been completely underwhelming. If that does not change, he'll be gone in short order.
Biggus that all made sense but he still has a problem getting their attention and getting them to play for him as well as him adjusting to them also.
There's Nuttin in the world worth a solitary dime cept Old dogs and children and watermelon wine.

toshortrock

write this down,,,stan health will show his ass this year

toshortrock

why not keep him,,he was dealt a pile of darn

Call Mr. Sow

Quote from: toshortrock on July 13, 2005, 06:08:34 pm
why not keep him,,he was dealt a pile of Shiite

Valid reasoning, if the team was now improving.  Problem is, the program achieved a new low at the end of the last season.  I don't want to see if he can drag them down even further.

CarolinaHog1176

Quote from: tophawg19 on March 20, 2005, 09:47:39 am
dontell was a gamble at a time when we couldn't afford it .  if you have to take a chance on a player make it on a freshmen . if your wrong he still has time to develop 4 yrs .

I disagree wtih that.  with the youth of our team last year, I think SH was looking for a JUCO PG to come in and add his maturity into the fold... .but as you all know, it didn't work as planned.  jefferson is a decent player, kind of like the freshman PG at carolina but not a program savior
WOOOOO PIG SOOIE

Ft.SmithHog

Give Stan some time. His recruiting is getting better and his coaching will improve with experience.  Besides I like the fact that SH is going after some of the best players in the country.  When was the last time Arkansas had landed a 5 star recruit?

sooie dog

Quote from: Ft.SmithHog on July 15, 2005, 10:45:23 am
Give Stan some time. His recruiting is getting better and his coaching will improve with experience. Besides I like the fact that SH is going after some of the best players in the country. When was the last time Arkansas had landed a 5 star recruit?

When's the last time Stan won a post season game? 

Ft.SmithHog

The year before he came to Arkansas. When he was head coach of Kent State.  I remember watching that team in the tournament and thinking Stan would make a great coach someday ( ma be at Arkansas).  That Kent State team resembled our 94 team, but just not as talented.  They could execute a half Court offence as well as get out and run.

Hoggysoprano

It's been a difficult situation for Heath, number one he had to follow a legend. Two he was brought in only to have one of the best players and the best recruit leave immediately.  He had little to work with and after his showing in the tournament before he came expectations were high.  I think he deserves at least this season and the next. 

sooie dog

I hope he proves me wrong but I think Frank should have canned his butt last February.

Call Mr. Sow

Quote from: Hoggysoprano on July 15, 2005, 11:59:21 am
It's been a difficult situation for Heath, number one he had to follow a legend. Two he was brought in only to have one of the best players and the best recruit leave immediately. He had little to work with and after his showing in the tournament before he came expectations were high. I think he deserves at least this season and the next.

Man, I wish you were my boss!  I wouldn't even have to show up for work until year 4.

toshortrock

hell yeah,,keep him,,how would u like to go into work today and get darn  canned

Swino

Quote from: Ft.SmithHog on July 15, 2005, 10:45:23 am
Give Stan some time. His recruiting is getting better and his coaching will improve with experience. Besides I like the fact that SH is going after some of the best players in the country. When was the last time Arkansas had landed a 5 star recruit?

Jebus, how much time does it take to turn around a powerhouse program?  Expect more from your Heath and from the U of A.  More time... what a joke.

Ft.SmithHog

If Stan lands a great recruiting class, he will get another two years.

Swino

Quote from: Ft.SmithHog on July 20, 2005, 12:43:21 pm
If Stan lands a great recruiting class, he will get another two years.

1st -  Stan isn't a "great recruiter".  A "great recruiter" first has to recognize the holes in future classes and then fill them with the proper talent.  Heath has shown that he can do that.

2nd - and here is the most important - It is W & L's that determine if a coach is good or not.  Recruiting good classes isn't worth spit when you can't coach and develop players.