Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Yadi Molina; Alex Gordon win NL, AL Platinum Gloves respectively

Started by popcornhog, November 08, 2014, 02:02:37 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

ucahogfan

What a joke that Yadi won the Platinum Glove!  I know he is widely considered one of the top 4-5 defenders in the game right now, but either J-Hey or Simmons should have won the Platinum Glove.  I know that I will be called a homer, but stats back up that those two were arguably the top two defenders in the game this year.

jrulz83

This may be surprising to some, but as a Cardinals homer I feel that Yadi winning the Gold and Platinum Glove is kind of ridiculous, simply because of all the time he missed with the thumb surgery. Having made that statement, everybody knows that the Gold/Platinum Glove awards have become nothing more than a popularity contest.
Lenin is cautiously optimistic.

ucahogfan

Quote from: jrulz83 on November 08, 2014, 08:19:46 pm
This may be surprising to some, but as a Cardinals homer I feel that Yadi winning the Gold and Platinum Glove is kind of ridiculous, simply because of all the time he missed with the thumb surgery. Having made that statement, everybody knows that the Gold/Platinum Glove awards have become nothing more than a popularity contest.
True.  I think he has deserved those awards in the past, but the time he missed because of injury and the new sabremetric stats should have given the GG and PG to other players this year.

And the GG is getting better in that more deserving players are winning the awards now.  Jeter, the worst defensive player of all-time in terms of defensive runs saved (shouldn't have played SS in his 30s like he did), won something like 5 GGs because of his rep as the Captain.

popcornhog

I don't disagree with you guys. On the flip side -- look at how the Cardinals played with him compared to without him. It shows his value, especially when 100%.

Either way, I'm proud to call him a Cardinal and I look forward to seeing him at 100% next year.

WPS

ucahogfan

Quote from: popcornhog on November 09, 2014, 03:32:11 pm
I don't disagree with you guys. On the flip side -- look at how the Cardinals played with him compared to without him. It shows his value, especially when 100%.

Either way, I'm proud to call him a Cardinal and I look forward to seeing him at 100% next year.
I don't disagree with you at all.  I think his WAR should be much higher than it is every year depending on if the Cards backups are replacement level or not.  I think he is worth 10-15 wins a year over the backups because of his ability to lead a staff.  The numbers back that up because the team ERA is about a full run higher when he isn't catching compared to when he is catching.  That is a huge difference.  That doesn't even factor in that he has become one of the better offensive catchers as well.

jrulz83

Quote from: popcornhog on November 09, 2014, 03:32:11 pm

No doubt that Yadi could be the team MVP every year, he has value that cannot be quantified by any measure. He's invaluable to the Cardinals. He'll definitely be mentioned among the greatest catchers of all time when his career is over. I'm just saying that him winning the Gold and Platinum Glove awards after missing practically 1/3 of the regular season is pretty lame.

Of course as an arrogant and entitled Cardinals fan I think they should give Pete Kozma a Gold Glove.  :)
Lenin is cautiously optimistic.