Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

How bout a "cool flying pics" thread....

Started by fdx flyer, October 04, 2011, 06:06:55 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

GusMcRae

Quote from: GusMcRae on June 18, 2012, 06:24:03 am
I assure you these are cool to more than just you. Thanks for posting. These guys work.  When conditions get right after being wrong for a stretch, they have to go all day, land long enough to re load, re fuel, and pee. I'm sure that it is fun for awhile and a pilot can certainly hone their skills, but not as glamorous as the outsider looking in would think. I admire the spray pilots. There is a business here that re builds spray planes. Amazes me how they never seem to lack for wrecked AgCats, which are built about an hour from here.

Correction:  Air Tractors are the spray planes built near here (Olney, TX) and rebuilt by a business within 5 miles of my house.
It ain't dieing I'm talking about Woodrow,,,, It's living!

Being a pilot isn't all seat-of-the-pants flying and glory. It's self- discipline, practice, study, analysis and preparation. It's precision. If you can't keep the gauges where you want them with everything free and easy, how can you keep them there when everything goes wrong?

GusMcRae

This may not be cool to those of you who fly fast Bo's and Toga's.  But getting 150 kts cruise speed in a 182 is pretty cool on the rare occasion when it happens. 
Yesterday I had a stiff headwind and was only getting about 108 kts.   :(  Not so cool. 

Being a pilot isn't all seat-of-the-pants flying and glory. It's self- discipline, practice, study, analysis and preparation. It's precision. If you can't keep the gauges where you want them with everything free and easy, how can you keep them there when everything goes wrong?

bvillepig

Flew to Charleston last Wednesday for my nephews wedding.  As I was flying along I looked out my left window and saw this image following me for 2-3 minutes. I realized it was my plane. This photo does not do it justice. I have got to get me a good camera and leave it in the plane.

gotyacovered

Quote from: bvillepig on November 13, 2012, 03:52:59 pm
Flew to Charleston last Wednesday for my nephews wedding.  As I was flying along I looked out my left window and saw this image following me for 2-3 minutes. I realized it was my plane. This photo does not do it justice. I have got to get me a good camera and leave it in the plane.

thats a once in a life time photo there. i bet that was cool in person.
You are what you tolerate.

bvillepig

Quote from: gotyacovered on November 13, 2012, 04:32:55 pm
thats a once in a life time photo there. i bet that was cool in person.

It was.    It was a good sign especially since I had been in the clouds for  two hours in rain with the temp right at 33-34. I went to five out of Bville and started getting trace so went back to three and flew southeast for about an hour and half . Temp finally got to 38 south of Birmingham so I asked for five again and was above freezing for the rest of the way. I asked for seven and got on top finally and was home free with no ice.

Hankweb

gotyacovered

This is a serious stretch for 'flying pics' picture... But I flew to Kansas to deer and pheasant hunt, so, shot this yote at 35-40 yards after I spooked him drawing my bow. He was on the move quartering away from me... The arrow passed completely thru without hitting either shoulder. One of my best shots with anything, ever. (For me)

MDH

November 16, 2012, 03:45:22 am #157 Last Edit: November 16, 2012, 03:59:55 am by MDH
Quote from: gotyacovered on June 15, 2012, 08:53:49 am
this is probably only cool to me, but my mom was going thru some old pictures and found these... that is my pops. he cropdusted for years out of Liberal (KLBL) Kansas.

Those are some great pics!  That was back when there was a lot more gut and butt in cropdusting.  It's changed dramatically, from what I hear, with GPS coming into the picture.

I've got some I'll have to find over thanksgiving of my dad taking delivery of Pabst's first Citation 500 (Unit #17- officially the second one delivered off the line).  There's also an ad from the '70s that he did for Cessna, I think it was in Professional Pilot magazine.
"Too many people have for too long placed too much confidence and trust in government and not enough in themselves.  Fortunately, many are now becoming aware of the seriousness of the gross mistakes of the past several decades.  The blame is shared by both political parties.  Many Americans now are demanding to hear the plain truth of things and want the demagoguing to stop.  Without this first step, solutions are impossible."  Ron Paul

Pistol Pete

Quote from: GusMcRae on November 06, 2012, 09:49:01 am
This may not be cool to those of you who fly fast Bo's and Toga's.  But getting 150 kts cruise speed in a 182 is pretty cool on the rare occasion when it happens. 
Yesterday I had a stiff headwind and was only getting about 108 kts.   :(  Not so cool. 

Only 108 kts in a stiff headwind? My oh my how spoiled we get!!! lol
My 172 cruises around 106-108 kts, and 110-112kts firewalled.

I flew with my friend Wednesday in his A36... talk about spoiled... we loafed at 165 kts and he generally flight plans at 175 kts. He set the altitude preselect to 7,500 feet at 800 fpm, around 125-130 kts climbout. From 1,000 feet off the ground to final approach, he never actually "flew" the airplane. That altitude preselect is the catz-azz.

bvillepig

Caught this going into Chattanooga this afternoon.

fdx flyer

November 22, 2012, 11:46:35 pm #160 Last Edit: November 22, 2012, 11:49:54 pm by fdx flyer
I've been flying on this trip as an RFO, which means Relief First Officer.  I'm in the jumpseat for takeoffs/landings and we swap out flying enroute for rest breaks.  Kinda sucks flying-wise, but I did get to take a few pics.  These are all with my iPhone.   Three were taken in Anchorage, with two using panorama mode - pretty cool.  The other two are of a new 787 in Narita, Japan.  One of the first ones I've seen in person.

fdx flyer

Flying Razorback

Pretty sweet, I'd like to get in and take a look around the 787.  If I remember the bid correctly, the new KC-767 tanker the Air Force has bought is supposed to come with a 787 flight deck.
Satchel Paige said, "Don't look back, something might be gaining on you..."

gotyacovered

recently had the chance to ride right seat with a friend hauling around Ed 'Too Tall' Jones for a speaking engagement. i was probably the only one who was more excited about flying than being around him ;D

when we dropped him off my they were like, do you not want a picture with him... oh, ya. guess i do!!! (sorry for the terrible pic)

GusMcRae

What kind of plane were y'all flying Ed around in?

gotyacovered

Quote from: GusMcRae on December 10, 2012, 02:35:11 pm
What kind of plane were y'all flying Ed around in?

BE58... Baron with the rear facing seats... He was sitting in the back and was constantly hitting the back of my seat with his feet!

GusMcRae

Quote from: gotyacovered on December 10, 2012, 07:40:08 pm
BE58... Baron with the rear facing seats... He was sitting in the back and was constantly hitting the back of my seat with his feet!

Getting to fly right seat in a Baron might trump rubbing elbows with him for me too. 

Sounds like a memorable trip.

Flying Razorback

Here's a video from the J-model squadron that my squadron is rotating out to replace next year in Afghanistan.  Some neat shots of some of our new airdrop delivery methods.

Direct link because it looks like the YouTube embedding might be disabled:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qZ7s-OSaplA&feature=player_embedded

gotyacovered

Quote from: FlyingRzrbkAF on December 11, 2012, 07:45:06 pm
Here's a video from the J-model squadron that my squadron is rotating out to replace next year in Afghanistan.  Some neat shots of some of our new airdrop delivery methods.

Really cool.

What speed does the J model rotate?

May sound stupid... Those pics above the clouds... Over seas... IFR or VFR or Military we do what we want when no FAA around? Only asking out of complete curiosity.

does class A apply thoroughly the world?

Flying Razorback

Quote from: gotyacovered on December 11, 2012, 08:19:58 pm
Really cool.

What speed does the J model rotate?

May sound stupid... Those pics above the clouds... Over seas... IFR or VFR or Military we do what we want when no FAA around? Only asking out of complete curiosity.

does class A apply thoroughly the world?

Rotate depends on whether you're doing a normal takeoff or a Max Effort takeoff and then of course the normal factors: weight, pressure altitude, temperature, and winds.

On a normal takeoff we rotate anywhere between 100 and 110 knots normally.  For a Max Effort takeoff its generally between 95-105.  We rotate up to 15-18 degrees nose high at a rate of 5 degrees per second for a Max Effort and generally around 7-9 degrees nose high at 3 degrees per second for a normal takeoff.

Most flying in theatre is done without ground radar because there's none left after the first couple nights of the war.  Or we're in a place like Afghanistan that never had radar.  The rules are a bit different but the airspace is segmented differently for operations.  Kind of like having restricted areas and prohibited areas everywhere.

In modern nations overseas Class A airspace starts at different altitudes depending on the nation.  Each country in Europe has its own transition altitude and its listed on the approach plate.  Mainly because small nations like Portugal you don't have enough country below you to make a climb up to FL180 so instead they start around 8000 feet or so.

Pistol Pete

Quote from: FlyingRzrbkAF on December 11, 2012, 07:45:06 pm

That is cool stuff!!! I want to fly mountains in my airplane sometime. I'll pay an instructor who flies mountains, to go with me sometime. My inlaws have a cabin outside Breckinridge, would love to fly that one summer.

FlyingRzrbkAF, do you know an instructor at the AFB named Zan? He's related to me by marriage.

Flying Razorback

Quote from: Pistol Pete on December 11, 2012, 10:53:06 pm
That is cool stuff!!! I want to fly mountains in my airplane sometime. I'll pay an instructor who flies mountains, to go with me sometime. My inlaws have a cabin outside Breckinridge, would love to fly that one summer.

FlyingRzrbkAF, do you know an instructor at the AFB named Zan? He's related to me by marriage.

Flying in the mountains is pretty incredible.  It'll wear you out too.  Lots of rough air and you have to be on edge the entire time especially when flying down in the canyons and below the peaks.  But it's worth it, the views are incredible.  It's hard to absorb it all while flying though, I guess that's why so many people video it and review it later, ha.

Is he a J-model instructor or a legacy 130 instructor?

Pistol Pete

Quote from: FlyingRzrbkAF on December 11, 2012, 11:57:19 pm
Flying in the mountains is pretty incredible.  It'll wear you out too.  Lots of rough air and you have to be on edge the entire time especially when flying down in the canyons and below the peaks.  But it's worth it, the views are incredible.  It's hard to absorb it all while flying though, I guess that's why so many people video it and review it later, ha.

Is he a J-model instructor or a legacy 130 instructor?
I think he instructs the older models. He said the avionics are very basic compared to the new ones.

GusMcRae

Me: That vid is sooooo  cool, with the background music and all,,,,,

Voice from the forum: Well how cool is it?

Me:  So cool that anything I have ever posted on here belongs on another thread entitled "moderately interesting, but not so cool, flying pics". 

Flying Razorback

Quote from: GusMcRae on December 12, 2012, 08:54:54 am
Me: That vid is sooooo  cool, with the background music and all,,,,,

Voice from the forum: Well how cool is it?

Me:  So cool that anything I have ever posted on here belongs on another thread entitled "moderately interesting, but not so cool, flying pics". 

I can't make any claims of being able to produce a video like that either.  I've thought about getting a GoPro or something and a suction cup to video some of our flights, but I wouldn't know how to put together a video like that.  Plus you always have to worry about if you record something you shouldn't have and what not.

I do like to watch other people's videos though, you don't get to enjoy it as much while you're doing it and so it's fun to sit back, relax, and watch the show from the computer every now and then.

gotyacovered

got to take a trip to Dallas Love this morning. it was 300 ovc and 6 when we departed. it was actually freezing fog... was very cool. there were some neat pic opportunity, none of which i was able to take advantage of. it look liked glitter falling from the sky when looking back at the sun. really cool.

here are a few iphone pics... none of which are very cool. best i could do though.

HawgPilot

HawgPilot

gotyacovered

HawgPilot

gotyacovered

gotyacovered

Another good one (B1) the vortice contrails and the cone looking vapor is awesome.

http://youtu.be/ZPrQcT6U_F0

gotyacovered

Think how many pounds of fuel was burnt in this 5 minutes.

http://youtu.be/SCnCXAhPDts

gotyacovered

HawgPilot

gotyacovered

Took this after landing and closing up the hangar tonight...

rnclittlerock

Random phone pics from AZ, NM, west TX on the way home from SoCal with my new (to me) Cherokee...

Pistol Pete

Quote from: rnclittlerock on January 20, 2013, 07:28:38 pm
Random phone pics from AZ, NM, west TX on the way home from SoCal with my new (to me) Cherokee...

Well! Where's the pics of your new plane??? Is it sitting at SUZ?

gotyacovered

Quote from: Pistol Pete on January 20, 2013, 08:00:13 pm
Well! Where's the pics of your new plane??? Is it sitting at SUZ?

Don't mean to speak for him, but, he hasn't made it back to Arkansas yet. It's spending a week or so in Dallas while he works!!! I know because we have a tentative lunch planes for Tuesday!

Sweet pics Rnc...

Pistol Pete

Quote from: gotyacovered on January 20, 2013, 08:22:48 pm
Don't mean to speak for him, but, he hasn't made it back to Arkansas yet. It's spending a week or so in Dallas while he works!!! I know because we have a tentative lunch planes for Tuesday!

Sweet pics Rnc...
Thank you Gotya... I saw a new airplane tied down at SUZ this afternoon, looked like a Cherokee. Thought maybe that was his.
I appreciate you "speaking" for him, can't wait to see his plane!

rnclittlerock

Yep, there's a minor electrical glitch somewhere I gotta get checked out.  First the transponder was out, the it came back and my oil temp/fuel gauges died, then after a little turbulence the gauges came back and I lost a comm.  Guessing a bad ground somewhere, no breakers trip.

Probably wont be back in AR for a week or so.

Pistol Pete

Quote from: rnclittlerock on January 20, 2013, 08:50:10 pm
Yep, there's a minor electrical glitch somewhere I gotta get checked out.  First the transponder was out, the it came back and my oil temp/fuel gauges died, then after a little turbulence the gauges came back and I lost a comm.  Guessing a bad ground somewhere, no breakers trip.

Probably wont be back in AR for a week or so.

Nice plane!

rnclittlerock

Thanks, can't complain about it after 8 hours even with minor electrical problems to fix.  We were making 140 knots (~5 kts tail) at 9500 at about 11.7 gph and I was leaning a bit conservatively per the IA in the right seat.  That's pretty cheap flyin.

gotyacovered

Quote from: rnclittlerock on January 20, 2013, 11:36:58 pm
Thanks, can't complain about it after 8 hours even with minor electrical problems to fix.  We were making 140 knots (~5 kts tail) at 9500 at about 11.7 gph and I was leaning a bit conservatively per the IA in the right seat.  That's pretty cheap flyin.

that is cheap, sweet plane.

rnclittlerock

gotyacovered

Pistol Pete

I just love getting high... nothing like it.

gotyacovered

GusMcRae

Friend's new paint job on his C-210:

[attachment deleted by admin]

gotyacovered

Quote from: GusMcRae on February 14, 2013, 09:23:12 am
Friend's new paint job on his C-210:

nice. i love it when the bottom is dark like that.

i also love 210's.

actually i like all things with wings.