Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Looking at the stats

Started by rude1, January 07, 2017, 10:37:24 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

rude1

What jumps out at me is, Barford 17 minutes, Manny 32 minutes. I know I know, Barford was in foul trouble, but he didn't foul out, which to me means CMA punished himself trying to protect Barford more than necessary.  In that situation when the game was getting away anyway, what good does it do to sit him and protect him? Love Manny but a team playing Manny 32 minutes is not a good team, we just aren't good enough to play 5 defenders against our 4 offensive players trip after trip.

Knot2brite

What I am about to say is going to be bashed but I don't care. Manny has his role on this team. He is a defensive stop and a garbage collector ( picks up loose balls and easy baskets/rebounds). He is an important cog in the machine. The problem is that he is in the game when we need offense or at least a offensive threat on the floor. He did a great job on monk and picked up a couple baskets and rebounds. He should have not played that many minutes when it was obvious that w needed scores. MA has to figure out how to manage his minutes better and stop using him when he needs scores
Usually in EI where intelligent conversation is required

rude1

Quote from: Knot2brite on January 07, 2017, 10:47:23 pm
What I am about to say is going to be bashed but I don't care. Manny has his role on this team. He is a defensive stop and a garbage collector ( picks up loose balls and easy baskets/rebounds). He is an important cog in the machine. The problem is that he is in the game when we need offense or at least a offensive threat on the floor. He did a great job on monk and picked up a couple baskets and rebounds. He should have not played that many minutes when it was obvious that w needed scores. MA has to figure out how to manage his minutes better and stop using him when he needs scores
I have to agree with you, especially in light of the fact he played more minutes than Monk did.

jdunhog

Quote from: rude1 on January 07, 2017, 10:49:52 pm
I have to agree with you, especially in light of the fact he played more minutes than Monk did.
I agree!

The_Iceman

Manny: 8 points (4-6 shooting), 7 rebounds, 1 assist, 0 turnovers.

Pancetta

The biggest problem with Manny is he isn't a threat on offense AT ALL.  Early on his defender screwed up and guarded him and he was able to deive a few times. After that they just played 4-5 feet off of him and he can't shoot 3s so he makes it 4 on 5 on offense.
Jump Ball / Re: Time to hit the panic button?
January 06, 2022, 05:32:59 pm
Nah. Every single transfer can score. The shots will come once the pecking order gets sorted out.
Pancetta

rude1

Quote from: The_Iceman on January 07, 2017, 10:55:09 pm
Manny: 8 points (4-6 shooting), 7 rebounds, 1 assist, 0 turnovers.
That's in 32 minutes of play.  How many stops happened for them because of the inability to space the floor as they had an extra defender each time down? Perspective matters.

ShadowHawg

After the altercation it really didn't make sense to let Barford play a lot. All that was going to happen was a Kentucky guy would take a shot at him.

Not a lot to gain.

rude1

Quote from: ShadowHawg on January 07, 2017, 11:04:06 pm
After the altercation it really didn't make sense to let Barford play a lot. All that was going to happen was a Kentucky guy would take a shot at him.

Not a lot to gain.
Huh? We should distribute out minutes based on what Ky thinks of him?

ShadowHawg

Quote from: rude1 on January 07, 2017, 11:15:41 pm
Huh? We should distribute out minutes based on what Ky thinks of him?

The game was decided by then. Any minutes beyond were garbage minutes.

Perfect example of stats being for losers.

apcapri

In 17 minutes Barford had 5 turnovers...So any scoring he did was probably negated by ending possessions with a turnover that led to Kentucky fast breaks and easy baskets.

S.A.D.C

I agree Manny has a role- but it's hard to see any scenario where his minutes should be as high as they have been this season. Mike had to let Barford foul out of that game.  When it started to go the other way we needed Macon and Barford on the floor together. We were going to get beat with them on the bench either way. 

HawgHeadCheese

Im not a C.J. Jones activist but I can admit with both Barford and Macon in foul trouble, Dusty not making any shots, and we needed points  I thought it was a given Jones would get some clock.

PonderinHog

Quote from: HawgHeadCheese on January 08, 2017, 08:22:59 am
Im not a C.J. Jones activist but I can admit with both Barford and Macon in foul trouble, Dusty not making any shots, and we needed points  I thought it was a given Jones would get some clock.
He did.  21 seconds!

Swinesong1

Barford, Beard n Macon were in foul trouble at some point during the game.  Manny stayed on the floor because he wasn't.  Didn't play bad either.  Was I the only one watching?

FineAsSwine

Quote from: tncbg on January 08, 2017, 11:25:15 am
I was at the game and Barford was booed by 20,000+ every time he touched the ball after the scuffle. They showed the incident several times on the huge screens on the scoreboard to keep the crowd fired up. He was more of a liability after that. No way to ignore 20,000+ booing you every time you have the ball. He was great in the first half and is starting to turn it loose, so his time is coming. I like the toughness and swagger.

Barford is a huge key for this team. When he starts hitting on all cylinders, the Hogs will look like a totally different team. I think that this experience will help him shake off some of the juco tendencies and adjust to the realities of big time college basketball.

Knot2brite

Quote from: Swinesong1 on January 08, 2017, 09:51:35 am
Barford, Beard n Macon were in foul trouble at some point during the game.  Manny stayed on the floor because he wasn't.  Didn't play bad either.  Was I the only one watching?
No you weren't. Yes he played his role very well. He wasn't a liablilty on the court last night. But I watched four different times on offense that when he got the ball that the defense sagged back into the lane and double teamed the paint area. I am not advocating for any particular player to get playing time but if you cannot threaten the defense and allow them to double team or sag without a worry then you are not a asset
Usually in EI where intelligent conversation is required

toxichog

I think the stats also say........that after a transition......the JC transfers are ready to lead this team in SEC play.  Kentuckys athletes are second to none.......Barford was outstanding and not scared at all......Macon was solid .......and Cook is starting to assert himself and adds a physical presence. 
These guys proved against the best that they can play........Dusty and Anton are less athletic and against athletes like U.K. Has are going to struggle (combined 3 for 18 from the field).
This team has a chance to be good by Feb. 
And......while Manny is like watching paint dry.......the job he did on Monk was unbelievable. After the first shot, every other thing was contested......and 7 rebounds to lead team.  Every game is different, but if Dusty gets more minutes in THIS game ......who is he gonna guard?  Monk....Fox?......you gotta go to zone.