Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

What is Mikes offense?

Started by nwahogfan1, January 01, 2017, 07:05:34 am

Previous topic - Next topic

razorhead94

I find this argument amusing.  If any basketball fan really watches basketball no program really runs a so called set offense anymore. 

Screening and cutting the right way off the screen is imparitive.  It's all motion that works well if you're able to reverse the ball to the other side.  The only time a set play is called is after a TO or you call a set play out of bounds. 

Watch Duke, Kansas, Kentucky.  These are all programs with elite coaching and they all run a drive and kick out to a shooter and most likely ends with a 1 on 1 scenario and it works because they have better athletes and basketball scorers than anybody else.  It's not that complicated.

I think the thing with Mike's teams is that against good competition we tend to go too fast and are a little careless which ends up turning the ball over.
"Primetime is whenever we play" - Jack Kenley 2019 OmaHogs

Kevin

Submit yourselves therefore to God. Resist the devil and he will flee from you.<br />James 4:7
Reject Every Kind Of Evil 1 Thessalonians 5:22

East Clintwood

I don't know.

And neither does Mike.
Any dog can be a seeing eye dog if you don't care where you're going.

Like  blows - Bring back Karma

Letsroll1200

Whatever it is it has the hogs 12-2.

fineswine

Why not ask Bobby Portis? "It's been different," Portis said last week after practice. "Coming from college to this is very different. College is more up-and-down, tempo type of thing. NBA is more confined and structure-based. It's different because at my college, we didn't even run plays. We just got me the ball or got [Arkansas teammate] Mike Qualls the ball, a clear-out type thing. But now it's more of a dribble-drive, setting pick-and-rolls, pick-and-pops, so it's kind of different for me." Ouch.

Letsroll1200

Quote from: fineswine on January 07, 2017, 05:16:08 am
Why not ask Bobby Portis? "It's been different," Portis said last week after practice. "Coming from college to this is very different. College is more up-and-down, tempo type of thing. NBA is more confined and structure-based. It's different because at my college, we didn't even run plays. We just got me the ball or got [Arkansas teammate] Mike Qualls the ball, a clear-out type thing. But now it's more of a dribble-drive, setting pick-and-rolls, pick-and-pops, so it's kind of different for me." Ouch.

It's a lot of clear outs and one on one in the NBA. Get your best players the ball and let them go to work.

Pig Worshipper

I'll tell you what his offenses are - not getting to the Big Dance enough and losing too many big time instate recruits.

Let's hope he corrects both of these offensive behaviors.

FineAsSwine

Quote from: Pig Worshipper on January 07, 2017, 09:59:38 am
I'll tell you what his offenses are - not getting to the Big Dance enough and losing too many big time instate recruits.

Well he has solved the in state recruiting issue for the foreseeable future so that narrative needs to die just like the "can't win on the road" talking point. As to the Big Dance, there is some work being done on that front this year.

skinnypig

Defense is supposed to be our main offense. Unfortunately, you can't play defense in college basketball anymore it has been made illegal by the rules committee

Biggus Piggus

Quote from: Letsroll1200 on January 07, 2017, 08:43:22 am
It's a lot of clear outs and one on one in the NBA. Get your best players the ball and let them go to work.

Yes, not everyone does it the way Hoiberg does.
[CENSORED]!

Atlhogfan1

Quote from: skinnypig on January 07, 2017, 01:47:36 pm
Defense is supposed to be our main offense. Unfortunately, you can't play defense in college basketball anymore it has been made illegal by the rules committee

You need to let Huggins and Pitino know. 
Quote from: MaconBacon on March 22, 2018, 10:30:04 amWe had a good run in the 90's and one NC and now the whole state still laments that we are a top seed program and have kids standing in line to come to good ole Arkansas.  We're just a flash in the pan boys. 

Biggus Piggus

Kentucky, Florida, South Carolina and Alabama are among the best defensive teams in college basketball.

So are Minnesota and Texas (two of our nonleague opponents this season).

We have a chance against SC and Bama because they do not score well. UK and Florida have us beaten, because they play much better defense + are much better on the offensive end too.
[CENSORED]!

jdlew

Quote from: Biggus Piggus on January 07, 2017, 03:33:08 pm
Kentucky, Florida, South Carolina and Alabama are among the best defensive teams in college basketball.

So are Minnesota and Texas (two of our nonleague opponents this season).

We have a chance against SC and Bama because they do not score well. UK and Florida have us beaten, because they play much better defense + are much better on the offensive end too.

MA teams really have a problem guarding the shooter....Other teams welcome the press and the attempt to double team...I wish he would play more zone...but that only makes the rebounding even worse...But I'm pulling for him...

OperationRestoreHawgBall

It's aimlessly wandering around and throwing up I'll advised shots at the last sec. It's also moses not doing basic post-up posturing.

ShadowHawg

Quote from: Biggus Piggus on January 06, 2017, 01:48:27 pm
We're 30th in unadjusted offensive efficiency -- the actual numbers. And 33rd when adjusted for schedule strength. Those are the Pomeroy numbers as of last night.

The part that bugs me about his system is that it has a schedule-strength adjustment for tempo -- possessions per game. I'm skeptical about whether this makes any sense. If you change the tempo number, you change the denominator in all of the per-possession calculations.

Almost everybody's tempo is adjusted downward (except for 26 teams), as though it's a mean-reversion adjustment or something.

This season, Arkansas's offensive efficiency is enhanced by three factors:

* Strong offensive rebounding, which extends possessions and creates easy shots.
* A high number of free throw chances per possession.
* The team's 78% free throw shooting, which is impeccable.

Efficiency would be even better if the Hogs could raise their 2-point shooting accuracy, or get more threes without affecting their 37% accuracy, or reduce turnovers.

Fans pick on the offense because of how often Arkansas fails to create good shots in the flow of the offense. Kingsley's only making 45% of his 2-pt attempts. Barford, Thomas and Cook also are 43-48%.

Fans are too dumb to understand that your philosophy can be your offense. I have read a statistical study that stated that Harcourt offense and set plays only account for 30 something percent of points scored.

Getting hung up on 30% of scoring is the stuff of casual observation. Our first opportunity to score is in transition. That IS part of the offense and it is productive.

The point of our halfcourt motion is to make the other team expend physical and mental energy and create opportunities for penetration which also forces the opponent to commit fouls. Most fans think it is simply players going one on one outside the scheme but it's about creating driving lanes from the wing and the top down.

hogsanity

Quote from: skinnypig on January 07, 2017, 01:47:36 pm

you can still play defense unless your defense is based on hacking slapping and holding.
People ask me what I do in winter when there is no baseball.  I will tell you what I do. I stare out the window, and I wait for spring.

"Anything goes wrong, anything at all, your fault, my fault, nobodies fault, I'm going to blow your head off."  John Wayne in BIG JAKE

pigture perfect

🤦🏻‍♂️🤷🏻‍♂️
The 2 biggest fools in the world: He who has an answer for everything and he who argues with him.  - original.<br /> <br />The first thing I'm going to ask a lawyer (when I might need one) is, "You don't post on Hogville do you?"

Youngsta71701

Quote from: Pig Worshipper on January 07, 2017, 09:59:38 am

Nothing else we could have done to get Monk or Allen for that matter. Unless it was illegal. But I'm sure you wouldn't have minded that... ??? ...Just "Git Er Done" huh...
"The more things change the more they stay the same"

Youngsta71701

Quote from: jdlew on January 07, 2017, 06:01:31 pm
MA teams really have a problem guarding the shooter....Other teams welcome the press and the attempt to double team...I wish he would play more zone...but that only makes the rebounding even worse...But I'm pulling for him...
Almost every time we played a zone on Saturday Willis got a wide open 3 from the corner pocket and drained it. We suck at zone. Somebody almost always end up with an open shot. Unless it's a matchup type zone.
"The more things change the more they stay the same"

RealHog

The complete lack of inbound plays is want kills me. Watch any team needing a 3 with 2.6 seconds left have something drawn up(sometimes something pretty intricate) during the TO. I think Mike just tells them to try and get open after 1 sloppy screen.