Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

What is Mikes offense?

Started by nwahogfan1, January 01, 2017, 07:05:34 am

Previous topic - Next topic

nwahogfan1

Is it 4 out with dribble drive with some high post screens?  If it dribble drive shouldn't our players be spread more trying to eliminate help defense when we do dribble penetrate?

mountainhog

Yes, our spacing is horrible most of the time.

Sivad

It's the "Fastest 40 in Basketball" isn't it?

Amityvillehogger

It's what I used to run in the Nintendo game "Double Dribble."
Member # 2987.
Registered - 02-23-2005

1h0gl0w

Sounded like it said "rubble ribble" at the title screen.

HogBreath

I'm gonna say Mike's biggest offense is failing to make the dance often enough.  Or stubbornly sticking to his system may be his greater offense.
I said...LSU has often been an overrated team.

That ignoramus Draconian Sanctions said..if we're overrated, why are we ranked higher than you are?

LR_Matt

Quote from: Sivad on January 01, 2017, 01:33:34 pm
It's the "Fastest 40 in Basketball" isn't it?

Except it's not....

hogsanity

That the question has to be asked is answer enough.
People ask me what I do in winter when there is no baseball.  I will tell you what I do. I stare out the window, and I wait for spring.

"Anything goes wrong, anything at all, your fault, my fault, nobodies fault, I'm going to blow your head off."  John Wayne in BIG JAKE

Jackrabbit Hog

"Dribble drive":  The fancy name given by Calipari to point guard driving to the basket.
Quote from: JIMMY BOARFFETT on June 29, 2018, 03:47:07 pm
I'm sure it's nothing that a $500 retainer can't fix.  Contact JackRabbit Hog for payment instructions.

ishankem

It's, outrun the opponent to the basket. If you don't, pass it around until someone gets a open shot.

dsims2k3

Quote from: ishankem on January 02, 2017, 05:10:31 pm
It's, outrun the opponent to the basket. If you don't, pass it around until someone gets a open shot.
That's the goal of transition ball.
Quote from: Boston RedHogs on October 23, 2013, 06:39:15 pm
I am always ready for Hog Ball!

The football season has no bearing on my excitement for basketball season to begin. 

I know I'm in the minority, but I rank Hog basketball above Hog football every day of the week and twice on Sundays. Has a lot to do with the era in which I grew up, but for me personally there is just nothing better than watching the Hogs run up and down the court!
Woo Pig Sooiee!  Can't wait for the season to tip off.  I'm hoping for a much more competitive team this season.

Arazorbackguy1

I have 10 to 12 points to make per game.

Hogimus Prime

hawgfan4life

Congrats on a well written OP.  Demonstrated your incredible basketball knowledge, got the intended reactions from fellow critics, and undermined the HC.  Nicely done!

TeedupHigh

If Mike can't get his opponent in a "Scramble" game we have no offense, Seriously it's dribble, pass, dribble pass with players running from one side to the other, Don't understand why Kingsly should ever be anywhere but down low in the post! He should be screaming for the ball down low!

Hogimus Prime

It is supposed to be a 4 out 1 in motion offense.  Problem is at times it has had parts to make it work. Big like a Portis. Stretch four like Harris or Williams. A swingman/slasher like a Qualls.  Combo guard/shooters like Beard, Macon, Madden, Hannahs and Bell, but the lack of a guard(s) that can take their man off the dribble has killed the offense.  It really needs that can drive and create to get the defense moving to create open shots. Macon, Barford, Beard and to an extent Hannahs can drive but when two to three guys on the floor are not offensive threats it kills the dribble drives. 

TexomaRazorback

I think his plan should be to recruit players that don't need coaching (i.e. Qualls/Portis).

Razorod

I would like to see us move from three guard to a small forward. We have always seemed to have more success when we've had good small forwards--Ron Huery, Todd Day, Scotty Thurman, Joe Johnson and Michael Qualls. If you want to press and trap and switch on screens, the more height the better.
Hoping the Hogs basketball fortunes change for the better this season.

Hogimus Prime

Quote from: Razorod on January 02, 2017, 08:28:57 pm
I would like to see us move from three guard to a small forward. We have always seemed to have more success when we've had good small forwards--Ron Huery, Todd Day, Scotty Thurman, Joe Johnson and Michael Qualls. If you want to press and trap and switch on screens, the more height the better.

IMO MA and staff are trying to go that way.  Hall is a 6'7" 3. Garland is a 6'5"-6'6" combo guard.  Mix that in with what the staff is looking at in the 2018 class with Bailey and Jones and I think that is the direction they are trying to go.

Razorod

I agree. Unless the player is very, very good, given what Anderson likes to do, he shouldn't recruit many players below 6-3.

rude1

Quote from: Razorod on January 02, 2017, 08:28:57 pm
The problem is the options are thin there, not a  single athletic wing that you can play extended minutes, which is the backbone of the press, the athletic wings with the wing span that makes the passes out of the traps difficult and the speed to recover once the pass comes out. This is why it is pointless in us pressing, we aren't turning anyone over and we aren't speeding anyone up. Also at our best we got offense from that wing position too with guys with the size to shoot over the top or get to the rim if you came out.

Hogimus Prime

Quote from: Razorod on January 02, 2017, 08:35:38 pm
I agree. Unless the player is very, very good, given what Anderson likes to do, he shouldn't recruit many players below 6-3.

True. The 2018 class does have Joe and Sills that are around 6'2"-6'3" if I remember, but everyone else signed or committed from 2017-18 is 6'6" or taller and athletic.

Razorod

Quote from: rude1 on January 02, 2017, 08:36:58 pm
The problem is the options are thin there, not a  single athletic wing that you can play extended minutes, which is the backbone of the press, the athletic wings with the wing span that makes the passes out of the traps difficult and the speed to recover once the pass comes out. This is why it is pointless in us pressing, we aren't turning anyone over and we aren't speeding anyone up. Also at our best we got offense from that wing position too with guys with the size to shoot over the top or get to the rim if you came out.
Yeah. We're stuck this year. CJ Jones is our tallest option for the three spot and Anderson is still wary of using him too much.

rude1

Quote from: Razorod on January 02, 2017, 08:40:35 pm
Yeah. We're stuck this year. CJ Jones is our tallest option for the three spot and Anderson is still wary of using him too much.
Which I still don't understand. Has shot it well when he has been allowed to play.

Hogimus Prime

Quote from: rude1 on January 02, 2017, 08:47:00 pm
Which I still don't understand. Has shot it well when he has been allowed to play.

I don't get it either.  MA has put Cook and Bailey on the floor at the sametime with a big. That gave the Hogs some more size at the 3.

rude1

Quote from: Hogimus Prime on January 02, 2017, 08:50:14 pm
I don't get it either.  MA has put Cook and Bailey on the floor at the sametime with a big. That gave the Hogs some more size at the 3.
That gives more size, but Bailey is really limited on what he can give you and Cook has not range to his shot. You might gain something defensively with that lineup but you lose a lot offensively.

Hogimus Prime

Quote from: rude1 on January 02, 2017, 08:53:01 pm
That gives more size, but Bailey is really limited on what he can give you and Cook has not range to his shot. You might gain something defensively with that lineup but you lose a lot offensively.

I'd rather have one of those two at the 3 than say Watkins. 

rude1

Quote from: Hogimus Prime on January 02, 2017, 09:01:41 pm
I'd rather have one of those two at the 3 than say Watkins. 
Agreed. I would rather have CJ, but since he shoots it to well to play, I would have to go with Cook.

Biggus Piggus

[CENSORED]!

WorfHog

Quote from: TexomaRazorback on January 02, 2017, 08:24:00 pm
I think his plan should be to recruit players that don't need coaching (i.e. Qualls/Portis).

Lol do you remember what Qualls looks like as a Freshman vs a Junior?

rzrbackramsfan

I think it's the same offense as Missouri had when they were tearing it up with CMA.

Biggus Piggus

Quote from: WorfHog on January 02, 2017, 09:39:28 pm

No freaking joke. Qualls was a great example of a player who was coached way beyond his high school game.
[CENSORED]!

mbgrulz

Quote from: rzrbackramsfan on January 02, 2017, 09:43:09 pm
I think it's the same offense as Missouri had when they were tearing it up with CMA.
Exactly!

Look, if you're looking for better X & O coaching staffs, you won't have to look very hard...but to act like they have no clue what they are doing is either stupid, or you just don't like CMA. The absolute bottom line is that we need to keep upgrading our roster. UF and Minnesota both had much better rosters than us.

My biggest complaint right now is that we don't seem to have recruited plus athletes. It's tough to get the game to the level we want it with guys who are average or worse in terms of quickness.

hogsanity

Quote from: mbgrulz on January 03, 2017, 08:38:26 am
Exactly!

Look, if you're looking for better X & O coaching staffs, you won't have to look very hard...but to act like they have no clue what they are doing is either stupid, or you just don't like CMA. The absolute bottom line is that we need to keep upgrading our roster. UF and Minnesota both had much better rosters than us.

My biggest complaint right now is that we don't seem to have recruited plus athletes. It's tough to get the game to the level we want it with guys who are average or worse in terms of quickness.

Mike needs athletes that can also play ball, meanwhile, most successful basketball programs recruit basketball players that are also athletic. And yes there is a big difference in the two types.
People ask me what I do in winter when there is no baseball.  I will tell you what I do. I stare out the window, and I wait for spring.

"Anything goes wrong, anything at all, your fault, my fault, nobodies fault, I'm going to blow your head off."  John Wayne in BIG JAKE

Boss Hog in the Arkansas

fastest forty...seconds left on the clock
That's right, you don't want to be the man to replace the man.  You want to be the man to replace Rory Segrest.

Letsroll1200

Quote from: WorfHog on January 02, 2017, 09:39:28 pm

I would add Moses Kingsley to that also

Hoggish1

Clearly its: run around and see who's open then shoot it yourself.  By hey 12-2 ain't bad...  Meanwhile opposing coaches are shouting instructions and drawing up plays on their little blackboards...  Dumbassses

Knot2brite

I didn't see the game tonight ( I recorded it) but from what I have read tonight whatever his offense is better run through Macon.
Usually in EI where intelligent conversation is required

rzrbackramsfan

Quote from: Hoggish1 on January 03, 2017, 08:21:00 pm
Clearly its: run around and see who's open then shoot it yourself.  By hey 12-2 ain't bad...  Meanwhile opposing coaches are shouting instructions and drawing up plays on their little blackboards...  Dumbassses

Funny but in MA's defense: so many times basketball is about not sucking and not getting punked. 

PonderinHog

It looked good in transition tonight.  Started shaky in half court, but actually got a little better as the game went on.  That 10-0 run at the end of the first half was all transition points, pretty sure, and couldn't have come at a better time.

1hawgballer2

Quote from: HogBreath on January 02, 2017, 11:04:30 am
I'm gonna say Mike's biggest offense is failing to make the dance often enough.  Or stubbornly sticking to his system may be his greater offense.

Response - you do know he was brought back to continue nolan's style of basketball

hogsmash12

Quote from: mbgrulz on January 03, 2017, 08:38:26 am
Exactly!

BINGO!

hogsmash12

Quote from: rzrbackramsfan on January 03, 2017, 08:28:29 pm
Funny but in MA's defense: so many times basketball is about not sucking and not getting punked. 

AND BINGO!

ShadowHawg

Quote from: nwahogfan1 on January 01, 2017, 07:05:34 am
Is it 4 out with dribble drive with some high post screens?  If it dribble drive shouldn't our players be spread more trying to eliminate help defense when we do dribble penetrate?

Really not sure why so many people whine about the offense.

We are currently 41st in the nation in offensive efficiency. That puts us ahead of Florida, Oregon, Arizona, Louisville, etc.

Of course ball movement and off ball player movement could be better, but it's pretty obvious that what we are doing is panning out at a much higher rate than some here think.

Pork Twain

If MA's teams are not scoring in transition, they are sometimes very hard to watch.  That is the one area he is nothing like Nolan in.
"It is better to be an optimist and proven wrong, than a pessimist and proven right." ~Pork Twain

https://www.facebook.com/groups/sweetmemes/

poloprince

Quote from: ShadowHawg on January 06, 2017, 01:01:22 am

We are currently 41st in the nation in offensive efficiency. That puts us ahead of Florida, Oregon, Arizona, Louisville, etc.

Of course ball movement and off ball player movement could be better, but it's pretty obvious that what we are doing is panning out at a much higher rate than some here think.

They won't ever get it. Some tend to think that half court offensive issues only occur at Ark. It's a college baaketball issue, hence the rule changes to speed up the game and see more scoring.
$PoLoPrInCe$

Biggus Piggus

Quote from: ShadowHawg on January 06, 2017, 01:01:22 am

We're 30th in unadjusted offensive efficiency -- the actual numbers. And 33rd when adjusted for schedule strength. Those are the Pomeroy numbers as of last night.

The part that bugs me about his system is that it has a schedule-strength adjustment for tempo -- possessions per game. I'm skeptical about whether this makes any sense. If you change the tempo number, you change the denominator in all of the per-possession calculations.

Almost everybody's tempo is adjusted downward (except for 26 teams), as though it's a mean-reversion adjustment or something.

This season, Arkansas's offensive efficiency is enhanced by three factors:

* Strong offensive rebounding, which extends possessions and creates easy shots.
* A high number of free throw chances per possession.
* The team's 78% free throw shooting, which is impeccable.

Efficiency would be even better if the Hogs could raise their 2-point shooting accuracy, or get more threes without affecting their 37% accuracy, or reduce turnovers.

Fans pick on the offense because of how often Arkansas fails to create good shots in the flow of the offense. Kingsley's only making 45% of his 2-pt attempts. Barford, Thomas and Cook also are 43-48%.
[CENSORED]!

Youngsta71701

I'm sure all of you Hogvillians know how to run an offense better than Coach Anderson... ???

It's called a motion offense by the way. The players have to read and react to what the defense is doing.
"The more things change the more they stay the same"

bvillepig

Quote from: Biggus Piggus on January 06, 2017, 01:48:27 pm
We're 30th in unadjusted offensive efficiency -- the actual numbers. And 33rd when adjusted for schedule strength. Those are the Pomeroy numbers as of last night.

The part that bugs me about his system is that it has a schedule-strength adjustment for tempo -- possessions per game. I'm skeptical about whether this makes any sense. If you change the tempo number, you change the denominator in all of the per-possession calculations.

Almost everybody's tempo is adjusted downward (except for 26 teams), as though it's a mean-reversion adjustment or something.

This season, Arkansas's offensive efficiency is enhanced by three factors:

* Strong offensive rebounding, which extends possessions and creates easy shots.
* A high number of free throw chances per possession.
* The team's 78% free throw shooting, which is impeccable.

Efficiency would be even better if the Hogs could raise their 2-point shooting accuracy, or get more threes without affecting their 37% accuracy, or reduce turnovers.

Fans pick on the offense because of how often Arkansas fails to create good shots in the flow of the offense. Kingsley's only making 45% of his 2-pt attempts. Barford, Thomas and Cook also are 43-48%.

Biggus thats the one thing that frustrates me most.  We are getting point blank shots for the most part in this offense from Barford, Kingsley, and Cook. Should be making 48-55 from there.   

poloprince

Layups, freethrows, and a handful of mid range jumpers and 3's  :razorback:
$PoLoPrInCe$