Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Is next year's class Mike Anderson's best? Is his best good enough?

Started by SportsLife, December 26, 2016, 09:43:08 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

SportsLife

root_hawg

hogwood

The 2017 class is not the best, but it's pretty good. 2018 is his best so far, so there is your answer. I believe there are better classes in the making too.

Hollywood_HOGan45

hawgfan4life

6th is an improvement over the past several years as a whole.  Also, some of those higher ranked could change drastically in a year or two.

OP seems like a backhanded slam and invitation to critics.  Why? 

JIHawg

I think last year was a wake up call for Mike.  He realized he needs to get off his butt and get the job done.  The 2016, 17, and 18 recruiting classes are the fruit of this epiphany.  His next job is to figure out how to use all this talent for optimum results.

Kevin McPherson

Quote from: hogwood on December 26, 2016, 10:09:06 pm
The 2017 class is not the best, but it's pretty good. 2018 is his best so far, so there is your answer. I believe there are better classes in the making too.

I was comparing 2017 to Mike's signed classes prior to 2017, not 2018 class which is commits only at this point. Obviously, it's speculation on my part because until they play at the high-major level, we won't know.

FineAsSwine

Quote from: Hollywood_HOGan45 on December 26, 2016, 10:43:31 pm
The class we signed last year is looking really good so far.

If the 2016 class signees all come back next year it's going to be a very talented group with some experienced and athletic guards. Should be a really nice team that could compete for a conference championship. Assuming that the 2017 class will all make the top 10 in the rotation, the lineup could look like this:

Starters                    Bench                Mop-up

Beard                       Garland              Glasper
Macon                      Jones                  Bailey
Barford                     Hall                    Hazen
Thomas                    Cook                   Spring Signee?
Thompson                Gafford

The_Bionic_Pig

Starters                    Bench                Mop-up

Beard                         Barford              Glasper

Macon                       Jones                 Garland

Thomas                    Cook/Bailey        Hall

Gafford                     Thompson

(Darious Hall is still growing and may ascend out of the Guard position to SF)
█ ▆ ▅ ▄ ▃ ▂ ▁ *Mute*

Boss Hog in the Arkansas

It might be 6th in the SEC, but i8t wasn't too long ago that this class was ranked top 5. Add another player (everyone else has more than us) and our ranking skyrockets
That's right, you don't want to be the man to replace the man.  You want to be the man to replace Rory Segrest.

The_Iceman

I think the players he is bringing in next year's class will be better than the 3 players they are replacing.

Out:
Hannahs
Watkins
Kingsley

In:
Garland
Hall
Gafford

Letsroll1200

Quote from: The_Iceman on December 27, 2016, 08:08:26 am
I think the players he is bringing in next year's class will be better than the 3 players they are replacing.

Out:
Hannahs
Watkins
Kingsley

In:
Garland
Hall
Gafford

Are we talking about better in the future or better from day one?  I think replacing Hannah is going to be a chore and at might take Gafford some time to adjust to the physicality of the game. I do see the three guys coming in being a better fit for the system in time because of their overall athletic ability.

FineAsSwine

Quote from: Letsroll1200 on December 27, 2016, 10:51:56 am
Are we talking about better in time or better from day one?  I think replacing Hannah is going to be a chore and at might take Gafford some time to adjust to the physicality of the game. I do see the three guys coming in being a better fit for the system in time because of their overall athletic ability.

Well if they come in and make the top 10 of the rotation that will leave guys like Bailey, Cook and Hazen fighting to stay out of the scrap heap in the bottom four. Hard to see Bailey and Cook all the way down there. Will be lots of competition for the 8th through 10th rotation slots.

ricepig

Quote from: hawgfan4life on December 26, 2016, 10:55:08 pm
6th is an improvement over the past several years as a whole.  Also, some of those higher ranked could change drastically in a year or two.

OP seems like a backhanded slam and invitation to critics.  Why? 

That seems to be the idea behind their articles.

Lanny

If Anderson only signed top players from Pulaski County, he has a championship team.  There is some major talent in Little Rock
"It's only a game if you win but if you lose it's a stinking waste of time."

Al Bundy

1highhog

Quote from: Lanny on December 27, 2016, 12:48:35 pm
If Anderson only signed top players from Pulaski County, he has a championship team.  There is some major talent in Little Rock

Yep, they quit playing Football years ago and started playing bball.  Now hardly no football to be had anymore from the LR area.

RealHog

Are we talking about better in the future or better from day one?  I think replacing Hannah is going to be a chore and at might take Gafford some time to adjust to the physicality of the game. I do see the three guys coming in being a better fit for the system in time because of their overall athletic ability.

Thats the biggest downgrade IMO, Gafford is a great recruit with lots of potential, but replacing a 4 year senior leader like Kingsley will not be easy. Wish we could have signed Enoh, but hopefully we can sign another frontcourt player in the spring.

Slater

Quote from: root_hawg on December 26, 2016, 09:48:29 pm
You mean the 2017 class that is ranked 6th in the SEC?

Is there anything about Coach Anderson that you do not hate?
FASTEST 40 ILUVMIKE

The_Iceman

Quote from: RealHog on December 27, 2016, 09:40:28 pm
Thats the biggest downgrade IMO, Gafford is a great recruit with lots of potential, but replacing a 4 year senior leader like Kingsley will not be easy. Wish we could have signed Enoh, but hopefully we can sign another frontcourt player in the spring.

Gafford is way ahead of Kingsley year 1. Believe it or not, Gafford is a better athlete than Portis or Kingsley. He just doesn't have Portis' skill year or Kingsley's experience. He will he better than Kingsley by the time he is done here.

https://twitter.com/ARHoops_South/status/794708209282019328

The_Iceman

Garland will he a better all around player than Hannahs. Macon will replace Hannahs in terms of a shooter, but Garland may be one of the best guards we've had in a while at attacking the rim. Right there with Barford, if not better.

https://youtu.be/im10cYoyk8A

https://youtu.be/5k2yOuQvJRs

The_Iceman

Atlhogfan1

Quote from: JIHawg on December 26, 2016, 10:57:16 pm
I think last year was a wake up call for Mike.  He realized he needs to get off his butt and get the job done.  The 2016, 17, and 18 recruiting classes are the fruit of this epiphany.  His next job is to figure out how to use all this talent for optimum results.

I doubt at age 56 and after 14 seasons as a head coach he had an epiphany about how to recruit.  Timing.  Timing was right for him at Mizzou with some players with connections to him to come to Mizzou.  Would have been Hogs had he been the Hogs coach. Timing in the state and with connections to the state's AAU now.  It was a good move to change his staff (finally) in terms of recruiting. 
Quote from: MaconBacon on March 22, 2018, 10:30:04 amWe had a good run in the 90's and one NC and now the whole state still laments that we are a top seed program and have kids standing in line to come to good ole Arkansas.  We're just a flash in the pan boys. 

Boss Hog in the Arkansas

Quote from: Lanny on December 27, 2016, 12:48:35 pm
Only thing stopping this from happening is kids don't want to play for home state pride anymore. They want to be able to say they play for the flashiest name. It was Florida, but lately its been Kentucky.
That's right, you don't want to be the man to replace the man.  You want to be the man to replace Rory Segrest.

The_Iceman

Boss Hog in the Arkansas

cardsNhogs

If you look at the rankings 2018 is a better class. I think 2017 will be better though not as deep. I think Gafford and Garland make immediate impact next season. I think only Reggie Perry makes big impact from the 2018 class.

The_Iceman

Quote from: cardsNhogs on December 28, 2016, 09:02:17 am
If you look at the rankings 2018 is a better class. I think 2017 will be better though not as deep. I think Gafford and Garland make immediate impact next season. I think only Reggie Perry makes big impact from the 2018 class.

That's a fair point. Perry will come in and immediately start next to Gafford. He is a Portis level talent. Currently 31st in the county, but that could keep going up like Portis ranking did. That 1-2 inside punch with be deadly.

Henderson, Sills, and Joe will be bench players starting off. Henderson will get the most playing time because he will play a position of need, but Joe may have the most impact of those 3 as a spot shooter.

But for 2017, Gafford will come in and immediately start at the 5 and Garland will be a big contributor along with Barford, Macon, Beard, and CJ Jones. I also think Hall, as the only pure SF on the roster, could see good minutes off the bench as well.

MemphisBossHog

Quote from: root_hawg on December 26, 2016, 09:48:29 pm
You mean the 2017 class that is ranked 6th in the SEC?

not being a smart A here or being rhetorical. Im really curious.  Is the 2017 class only good enough for 6th in the conference??  I guess 4 other schools and Kentucky must be having some hellacious recruiting success cause the 3 guys we have signed surely would be better than 6th.  Good Lord, if that is the case, that may be as well as Mike can do. 3 4-star recruits.  Tall, long, athletic. The class looks good.

I know no 5 stars but we arent going to get 5 stars unless Calipari just decides he doesnt want one who might otherwise come to Ark. Cal will get whoever he wants when he goes up against Mike in recruiting.  MMonk is living proof of that, so I would think the 2017 class would be a darned good class.

The_Iceman

The_Iceman

Quote from: MemphisBossHog on December 29, 2016, 02:36:15 am
not being a smart A here or being rhetorical. Im really curious.  Is the 2017 class only good enough for 6th in the conference??  I guess 4 other schools and Kentucky must be having some hellacious recruiting success cause the 3 guys we have signed surely would be better than 6th.  Good Lord, if that is the case, that may be as well as Mike can do. 3 4-star recruits.  Tall, long, athletic. The class looks good.

I know no 5 stars but we arent going to get 5 stars unless Calipari just decides he doesnt want one who might otherwise come to Ark. Cal will get whoever he wants when he goes up against Mike in recruiting.  MMonk is living proof of that, so I would think the 2017 class would be a darned good class.

http://247sports.com/Season/2017-Basketball/CompositeTeamRankings?Conference=SEC

Auburn and Alabama both have a 5 star commit. Texas a&m has a larger class with one extra 4-star. We are essentially tied with Miss State for 5th. Margin is really small.

HardingHog

Quote from: The_Iceman on December 29, 2016, 07:46:48 am
http://247sports.com/Season/2017-Basketball/CompositeTeamRankings?Conference=SEC

Auburn and Alabama both have a 5 star commit. Texas a&m has a larger class with one extra 4-star. We are essentially tied with Miss State for 5th. Margin is really small.

Yeah, we're now in a conference with 4 really good recruiters in Cal, Avery Johnson, Pearl, and Howland. Plus Kennedy has been doing really well at A&M, so what would have previously been a top 2 or 3 class in our conference doesn't look as spectacular with some of the players that are now being brought in by SEC teams

MemphisBossHog

Quote from: The_Iceman on December 29, 2016, 07:46:48 am

Gotcha Iceman. Thank you for that info. Im afraid the class Mike has now that is 5th in SEC is honestly about as well as he can do.  I do not see him getting a 5 star. Any 5 star that might want to look at UA will show up on Calipari's radar and then its over unless Cal is just full and doesnt have a schollie to offer the kid.  But if Mike can get multiple 4stars each year and they stay 2or 3 years and grow and get experience, he will be able to go to the NCAAs quite a bit and maybe make a sweet 16 here and there.

hawgfan4life

Quote from: MemphisBossHog on December 29, 2016, 10:08:54 am
Gotcha Iceman. Thank you for that info. Im afraid the class Mike has now that is 5th in SEC is honestly about as well as he can do.  I do not see him getting a 5 star. Any 5 star that might want to look at UA will show up on Calipari's radar and then its over unless Cal is just full and doesnt have a schollie to offer the kid.  But if Mike can get multiple 4stars each year and they stay 2or 3 years and grow and get experience, he will be able to go to the NCAAs quite a bit and maybe make a sweet 16 here and there.

LSU had a 5 star lottery pick last year.  Give me talented 3 stars with heart that but in to the program for 4 years any day of the week.   One player can make a difference but still takes a team.  I don't want to scramble every year because the player went pro. 

Bacon_Bitz

The_Iceman

Quote from: MemphisBossHog on December 29, 2016, 10:08:54 am

Reggie Perry may end up being as good of a recruit as Portis by the time he gets to campus. Big time talent at 6'10" that has skill.

https://youtu.be/hbXtnnnVkDc

Razorod

The good thing here is that Perry can actually play the four well like Anderson wants his four (or hybrid forward) to play. Which means that we could see Gafford and Perry on the court at the same time.
Hoping the Hogs basketball fortunes change for the better this season.

ishankem

I can't believe everybody is drooling over his future signees, cause I don't care how good they are, they will under achieve!

hobhog

Not worth it cause he can't coach em. Next coach will keep most and maybe do something....

1highhog

Quote from: SportsLife on December 26, 2016, 09:43:08 pm
Has Mike Anderson put out the dumpster fire that has been Razorback basketball?

http://www.sportinglifearkansas.com/recruiting-class-2017-may-mike-andersons-best-yet/

No!  I'm sorry, but MA will never be a successful coach here.  He's not going to be successful this year either so to me he's had enough time to show that he's not the Coach that we need, which was evident from the start, it was a bad hire that most of the fan base wanted thinking he would bring the same success as Nolan, even though his record showed otherwise.  Now it seems as though we're stuck with him for at least this season and another and that's far to long without no success in going to the NCAA Tournament.   

MountieDawg

Pel's had the #9 ranked recruiting class in the nation in 2011 and he had to go....  I did think Gifford is the real deal but he obviously wants to be a Hog and not sure MA makes a difference or not.  If you are keeping him for his future recruiting classes should he have been fired the past 2 years for his awful recruiting classes????
SEC!

daprospecta

Quote from: hobhog on December 29, 2016, 09:53:45 pm
Not worth it cause he can't coach em. Next coach will keep most and maybe do something....
Qualls was not expected to be an NBA player but he was by the end of his junior year.  Portis was a 1st rounder. Kingsley is also an NBA prospect who was not nearly as good his freshmen year. Mike coaches his players. I wish we had a more established offense but he coaches his players.  Players get better in his system.

swinesation

In addition to Qualls, Hannahs has far surpassed what he was at Texas Tech. Durham improved leaps and bounds by his senior year. Bell got better every season he played here. People see what they want to see.

By the way, I'm convinced that Kingsley's drop-off is Kingsley's fault, not Mike's. I'm convinced that someone told him how he needed to change his game to improve his status as an NBA prospect, and he is doing his own thing for his own good rather than being a team player and responding to his coach.

Razorod

With regard to Anderson's tenure at Arkansas I think it might be useful to compare Anderson's numbers to Johnny Dawkins and Travis Ford. Both got eight years at their respective institutions with minimal results. Dawkins, just one NCAA tourney in eight seasons and, even though OSU went to the tourney several times during Ford's time there, Ford never got out of the first weekend of the tourney.

Also, I suspect Long will use their situations to gauge if and when to let Anderson go. He strikes me as the type of AD who might be more inclined to follow a model like Stanford and OSU, especially given the political dynamite associated with Anderson's ties to Nolan.

I'm curious to see how this season plays out, especially if the Hogs finish right around the .500 number in conference play.

Johnny Dawkins at Stanford:

2008–09   Stanford   20–14   6–12   9th   CBI Semifinals
2009–10   Stanford   14–18   7–11   T–8th   
2010–11   Stanford   15–16   7–11   T–7th   
2011–12   Stanford   26–11   10–8   7th   NIT Champions
2012–13   Stanford   19–15   9–9   T–6th   NIT Second Round
2013–14   Stanford   23–13   10–8   T–3rd   NCAA Sweet Sixteen
2014–15   Stanford   24–13   9–9   T–5th   NIT Champions
2015–16   Stanford   15–15   8–10   9th   
Stanford:   156–115 (.576)   66–78 (.458)   

Travis Ford at OSU:

2008–09   Oklahoma State   23–12   9–7   T–4th   NCAA Round of 32
2009–10   Oklahoma State   22–11   9–7   T–6th   NCAA Round of 64
2010–11   Oklahoma State   20–14   6–10   9th   NIT Second Round
2011–12   Oklahoma State   15–18   7–11   7th   
2012–13   Oklahoma State   24–9   13–5   3rd   NCAA Round of 64
2013–14   Oklahoma State   21–13   8–10   8th   NCAA Round of 64
2014–15   Oklahoma State   18–14   8–10   T–6th   NCAA Round of 64
2015–16   Oklahoma State   12–20   3–15   9th   
Oklahoma State:   155–111 (.585)   63–80 (.441)

Mike Anderson at Arkansas:
2011–12   Arkansas   18–14   6–10   9th   
2012–13   Arkansas   19–13   10–8   7th   
2013–14   Arkansas   22–12   10–8   5th   NIT Second Round
2014–15   Arkansas   27–9   13–5   2nd   NCAA Second Round
2015–16   Arkansas   16–16   9–9   T–8th   
2016–17   Arkansas   11–1   0–0      
Arkansas:   113–65 (.635)   48–40 (.545)      

The_Iceman

Quote from: swinesation on January 03, 2017, 10:58:04 am
In addition to Qualls, Hannahs has far surpassed what he was at Texas Tech. Durham improved leaps and bounds by his senior year. Bell got better every season he played here. People see what they want to see.

By the way, I'm convinced that Kingsley's drop-off is Kingsley's fault, not Mike's. I'm convinced that someone told him how he needed to change his game to improve his status as an NBA prospect, and he is doing his own thing for his own good rather than being a team player and responding to his coach.

He drifted away from the basket and contact inside to show NBA scouts he could  stretch the floor as a big. Last game against Florida, he got himself back inside and put up 13 pts, 14 rebs, and 4 blocks against one of the strongest defensive Centers in the SEC.

Letsroll1200

Quote from: swinesation on January 03, 2017, 10:58:04 am

I agree that Moses Kingsley seem to be more focused on Me instead of We. Hopefully that will change tonight.

Atlhogfan1

Quote from: Razorod on January 03, 2017, 11:22:49 am
With regard to Anderson's tenure at Arkansas I think it might be useful to compare Anderson's numbers to Johnny Dawkins and Travis Ford. Both got eight years at their respective institutions with minimal results. Dawkins, just one NCAA tourney in eight seasons and, even though OSU went to the tourney several times during Ford's time there, Ford never got out of the first weekend of the tourney.

Also, I suspect Long will use their situations to gauge if and when to let Anderson go. He strikes me as the type of AD who might be more inclined to follow a model like Stanford and OSU, especially given the political dynamite associated with Anderson's ties to Nolan.

I'm curious to see how this season plays out, especially if the Hogs finish right around the .500 number in conference play.

Johnny Dawkins at Stanford:

2008–09   Stanford   20–14   6–12   9th   CBI Semifinals
2009–10   Stanford   14–18   7–11   T–8th   
2010–11   Stanford   15–16   7–11   T–7th   
2011–12   Stanford   26–11   10–8   7th   NIT Champions
2012–13   Stanford   19–15   9–9   T–6th   NIT Second Round
2013–14   Stanford   23–13   10–8   T–3rd   NCAA Sweet Sixteen
2014–15   Stanford   24–13   9–9   T–5th   NIT Champions
2015–16   Stanford   15–15   8–10   9th   
Stanford:   156–115 (.576)   66–78 (.458)   

Travis Ford at OSU:

2008–09   Oklahoma State   23–12   9–7   T–4th   NCAA Round of 32
2009–10   Oklahoma State   22–11   9–7   T–6th   NCAA Round of 64
2010–11   Oklahoma State   20–14   6–10   9th   NIT Second Round
2011–12   Oklahoma State   15–18   7–11   7th   
2012–13   Oklahoma State   24–9   13–5   3rd   NCAA Round of 64
2013–14   Oklahoma State   21–13   8–10   8th   NCAA Round of 64
2014–15   Oklahoma State   18–14   8–10   T–6th   NCAA Round of 64
2015–16   Oklahoma State   12–20   3–15   9th   
Oklahoma State:   155–111 (.585)   63–80 (.441)

Mike Anderson at Arkansas:
2011–12   Arkansas   18–14   6–10   9th   
2012–13   Arkansas   19–13   10–8   7th   
2013–14   Arkansas   22–12   10–8   5th   NIT Second Round
2014–15   Arkansas   27–9   13–5   2nd   NCAA Second Round
2015–16   Arkansas   16–16   9–9   T–8th   
2016–17   Arkansas   11–1   0–0      
Arkansas:   113–65 (.635)   48–40 (.545)

His record can actually be scrutinized just on its own. 

He was a 20-13 coach coming into this season at Arkansas.  If you take out his first two seasons, 22-12. 

SEC avg 9.6-8  SEC taking out first two seasons 10.6-7.3

Looking at his 14 year career before this season started:

21.6 - 11.6
Conf 9.5-6.9

Just UAB and Mizzou:

22.2 - 10.8
9.4 - 6.3

Take out his best (31-7) and worst season (16-16) and you end up with:

yep you may have guessed it 21-12

Blah, average, good enough... however you want to describe it.  He is who he is.  Personality, program branding, coaching, record.

What we are being asked now is to wait for something more than he has shown to be.  That the incoming talent is so good, it will transcend what he is.  Similar to Mizzou 2008-9 in terms of record + postseason success.  But its going to be sustainable.

This is what we are to buy into. 
Quote from: MaconBacon on March 22, 2018, 10:30:04 amWe had a good run in the 90's and one NC and now the whole state still laments that we are a top seed program and have kids standing in line to come to good ole Arkansas.  We're just a flash in the pan boys. 

010HogFan

Quote from: ishankem on December 29, 2016, 09:40:08 pm
I can't believe everybody is drooling over his future signees, cause I don't care how good they are, they will under achieve!

Even if they under achieve, they will still be better than we have now. Watch that video of Justice Hill someone posted above and tell me he doesn't have crazy handles. and watch that video of Gafford and tell me who we have on the roster right now that can do that dunk. I'll wait.

Atlhogfan1

Quote from: 010HogFan on January 03, 2017, 12:43:48 pm
Even if they under achieve, they will still better than we have now. Watch that video of Justice Hill someone posted above and tell me he doesn't have crazy handles. and watch that video of Gafford and tell me who we have on the roster right now that can do that dunk. I'll wait.

I don't have it in me.   

010HogFan

Quote from: Atlhogfan1 on January 03, 2017, 12:49:45 pm
I don't have it in me.   

I'm in wait and see mode because wait till next year is the rally cry of Arkansas sports but cautiously optimistic because I like what I see on video

Razorod

Quote from: Atlhogfan1 on January 03, 2017, 12:17:06 pm
His record can actually be scrutinized just on its own. 

He was a 20-13 coach coming into this season at Arkansas.  If you take out his first two seasons, 22-12. 

SEC avg 9.6-8  SEC taking out first two seasons 10.6-7.3

Looking at his 14 year career before this season started:

21.6 - 11.6
Conf 9.5-6.9

Just UAB and Mizzou:

22.2 - 10.8
9.4 - 6.3

Take out his best (31-7) and worst season (16-16) and you end up with:

yep you may have guessed it 21-12

Blah, average, good enough... however you want to describe it.  He is who he is.  Personality, program branding, coaching, record.

What we are being asked now is to wait for something more than he has shown to be.  That the incoming talent is so good, it will transcend what he is.  Similar to Mizzou 2008-9 in terms of record + postseason success.  But its going to be sustainable.

This is what we are to buy into. 
Very true and I agree with you. My main thing now is to try and figure out how long he might have/be given.