Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Looking for a muzzleloader,

Started by 1highhog, June 01, 2009, 09:35:41 am

Previous topic - Next topic

1highhog

This will be my first season coming up that I plan on using a muzzleloader after 44 years of hunting.  Anybody have a good reccommendation for me to start off with?  I know where I can buy a 54 cal. Knight for $175.00.  It's probaly at least 7 or 8 years old though.  Would this be a good deal?  It have several item with it, including sabot bullets, sling, powder horn, etc.  Any information will be appreciated.

hogdiggity

If I were to buy a new muzzleloader today it would be a breakover type muzzleloader.  If money were no object it would be a TC Encore, replace the barrel and you have a centerfire rifle.  I have heard good things from several that have bought the CVA version of this too, for a good bit less. 

Knight makes a good rifle, but I really would rather have a 50 cal than a 54.

1highhog

Thanks Hogdiggity.  But unfortunately, move is very much an object.  I can't afford an Encore.

1highhog

What's the downfall of a 54?  Do you think the gun I'm thinking about would even be worth $175?

hogdiggity

June 01, 2009, 04:38:05 pm #4 Last Edit: June 01, 2009, 04:41:16 pm by hogdiggity
without knowing the specifics about the gun, blued/stainless synthetic/wood/thumbhole, it is hard to determine a value.  For me the 50 cal is just more of a "standard", easier to find a selection of bullets, powder pellets etc.   The 54 is good, but probably would not have the ballistics of a 50 because of the weight of the bullets, but I have done no research to support this.  I'm sure there are those on here that have more experience with the 54. 

I don't think you would go too wrong with the knight if it is in good shape and has optics as well.  You can buy a decent breakover from CVA or Traditions for around $200 in blued with a synthetic stock.

pioneerhog

I got a Tradition that has out shot pretty much any other brand it has been put up against. I am wanting to upgrade to a breakover and when I do I plan on it being a Tradition. II have nothing but good luck out of the ones I have had and everyone I know that has one has had good luck as well.

jep_hog_fan

Quote from: 1highhog on June 01, 2009, 09:35:41 am
This will be my first season coming up that I plan on using a muzzleloader after 44 years of hunting.  Anybody have a good reccommendation for me to start off with?  I know where I can buy a 54 cal. Knight for $175.00.  It's probaly at least 7 or 8 years old though.  Would this be a good deal?  It have several item with it, including sabot bullets, sling, powder horn, etc.  Any information will be appreciated.

I wouldn't go with a .54 cal. You would end up having to go to a specialty shop for supplies and that would get expensive. My Dad had a CVA break over type that is absolutely awesone. Next one I get will be one of these. Wal Mart has it for about $200.

pioneerhog

This is the one I am wanting. You can get them quite a bit cheaper than the $421 this one cost.

http://www.traditionsfirearms.com/eshop/10Expand.asp?ProductCode=R78103559

Here is the Best of the best article from Field and Stream about the gun I mentioned above.

http://www.fieldandstream.com/articles/guns/rifles/2008/08/best-best-awards-best-new-blackpowder-rifles-2008-0?#

Here is a link to Tradions sale page. THere are some good prices on here.

http://www.traditionsfirearms.com/eshop/10Browse.asp?Category=Bargain+Bin:+Rifles

1highhog

colt-45

I have a TC Omega that I love. It shoots great. Got it after hunting season a couple years ago at wal-mart for almost half price.

Be careful if you buy a used one. Many people don't get the barrels truly cleaned before putting them away for the year.

mah5969

June 02, 2009, 09:58:16 pm #10 Last Edit: June 02, 2009, 10:00:42 pm by mah5969
Do not buy a used one youll spend half the summer shooting just to find out that you bought a POS Knight is the way to go since your just starting out.You don't need a $500 muzzle loader 1st year and don't buy a 54 get the 50 if you run out of bullets or need some cleaning supplys aint no one gonna have them when your out of town.With the 50 you can always bum enough to get by off someone in camp

Mr. Prozac

I have a CVA Optima. It breaks open like a shotgun and the 209 primers are really easy to place. I've been really pleased with mine, and the base model is not too expensive. After I got mine, my Dad and 2 friends got them and they are all pleased as well.

Lots of opinions out there about brands, but I can say I've had good luck with the CVA.

Wouldn't go with a .54 because bullets (and pellets if you use them) are harder to find.

You can find good deals on the Optimas (alone or as part of a package) intermittently on sites like Cabelas or Sportsmansguide.com

1highhog

That's it then, I'm going with a 50.  Now as far as brand, I'll probaly go the CVA since it seems to be the cheapest way to go for right now.

littlec29

I bought a CVA Magbolt .45 cal from sportsmansguide.com about 8-9 years ago. It has the nickle barrel and camo stock. I paid $149 for it and it will shoot the magnum load (150g of pyrodex pellets). Yes I do load it to the max and yes it will stomp you, but it will lay the smack down on a deer also. Would love to have a break open model, but just can't justify spending the money on a new one when the one I have works just fine. Good luck finding the one you want and happy hunting.

O'Squeal

I bought a Winchester Apex with a stainless steel barrel from Sportsmans Warehouse ( now closed  :'( ) for about $260 last spring. It has the roll block instead of the break over but works just as good for loading the primer and cleaning. It shot 3" below center at 50 yards with open sites right out of the box. My buddy bought a CVA and he's happy with it, but I would recommend a stainless steel barrell. Cleaning is a breeze. Good luck.
Opinions are like a$$holes...everyone has one and they all stink.