Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

It's not in Anyone's Best Interest that Bielema be Fired

Started by WilsonHog, September 16, 2017, 09:41:47 am

Previous topic - Next topic

WilsonHog

Not his best interest, not Jeff Long's best interest, not in our program's best interest. Firing carries the smell of failure all the way around, on his part (for not winning enough), on Long's part (for hiring someone who was not a good fit), and on our program's part (for not being successful with a Rose Bowl coach at the helm).

No, the better course all the way around is for all parties to admit that it hasn't worked as hoped and for us to win enough games this year for Bielema to get another P5 job. Win-win for everyone.

If I had to put money on it, I would venture that scenario is far more likely than him being terminated.

Cinco de Hogo

Don't know what the line would be for keeping him or firing him so it's almost better for it to be a great season or abject failure.  However since I can't ever ever want us to lose I guess I'll just have to go with what actually happens and hope whatever that is turns out better for the program than the last five years.  Go Hogs!

hoglady

Inside every "older" person is a younger person wondering what the hell happened?

"Compassion for animals is intimately associated with goodness of character, and it may be confidently asserted that he who is cruel to animals cannot be a good man."
― Arthur Schopenhauer, The Basis of Morality

Tusks

sometimes it's a good and some times it's a schit

BigBrandonAllenFan

Boarcephus

That only plays out if we have a somewhat successful season.  Think things are bad around here now, if A&M beats us next week, we win one against NM and then get slammed by USC, Bama and Auburn he may want out. 
I need to be more like my dog...if you can't fight it, screw it, or eat it, then piss on it.

Redhogs

Quote from: WilsonHog on September 16, 2017, 09:41:47 am
Not his best interest, not Jeff Long's best interest, not in our program's best interest. Firing carries the smell of failure all the way around, on his part (for not winning enough), on Long's part (for hiring someone who was not a good fit), and on our program's part (for not being successful with a Rose Bowl coach at the helm).

No, the better course all the way around is for all parties to admit that it hasn't worked as hoped and for us to win enough games this year for Bielema to get another P5 job. Win-win for everyone.

If I had to put money on it, I would venture that scenario is far more likely than him being terminated.
Sarcasm right??  His failure here is his fault, not the program, he has been given all the tools. Don't care what is good for Long or BB...they have been driving the football program into the ground for 5 years now, we need to get people in here to fix this, pronto....they have conned this school for $millions.
Will I live long enough to see us win again? Will any of us?

bulldog04

He won't be fired. He will take another job and exit graciously like his assistants have done if this season don't change IMO.

FineAsSwine

Arkansas would have to pay him to leave. He has 11.4 million reasons to stay plus a baby girl. Strong did fine after getting fired at Texas. Pretty sure Bielema can follow the same road map.
Hogs up! Covid down!

WilsonHog

Quote from: Redhogs on September 16, 2017, 09:53:16 am
Sarcasm right??  His failure here is his fault, not the program, he has been given all the tools. Don't care what is good for Long or BB...they have been driving the football program into the ground for 5 years now, we need to get people in here to fix this, pronto....they have conned this school for $millions.

Not sarcasm at all. I believe in a couple of things.

(1) Everything communicates something, whether we intend it to or not; and,

(2) Words matter, and language is a tool that should be used precisely; and,

(3) Perception matters, national and statewide.

bondhue

No, the better course all the way around is for all parties to admit that it hasn't worked as hoped and for us to win enough games this year for Bielema to get another P5 job.
How many games do think that is?  Would it take 6 or more?
That's a pretty girl.  I caught her twice.  12.5 pounds.  I hope she's still alive.

rhames

Sometimes things just don't work out. It happens all the time. From professional to relational situations.

I feel this is the case here. I agree with you Wilson

Although it would be interesting to know what's going on in Bret's head. He really seemed to like if here for the most part.
"I'm too drunk to taste this chicken"

"Can we get some waffles after we get some ass?" - Aunt Tiffany Freeman

Quote from: Hamdsome 1 on September 05, 2023, 06:43:26 pmSTHU. I get in more steps per day, at work, than you could possibly fathom.
The only down time my legs see is when seated in 1st Class.

rhames

Quote from: bondhue on September 16, 2017, 10:03:51 am
How many games do think that is?  Would it take 6 or more?

7 or 8 with us looking decent and being competitive.

Quote from: Hamdsome 1 on September 05, 2023, 06:43:26 pmSTHU. I get in more steps per day, at work, than you could possibly fathom.

Redhogs

Quote from: WilsonHog on September 16, 2017, 09:59:05 am
Not sarcasm at all. I believe in a couple of things.

(1) Everything communicates something, whether we intend it to or not; and,

(2) Words matter; and,

(3) Perception matters.
I agree with this...and the perception of our football program in state and out now is that it is a joke. That's my concern. Coaches know you CAN win here CBP proved that.

rhames

Quote from: Redhogs on September 16, 2017, 10:09:49 am
I agree with this...and the perception of our football program in state and out now is that it is a joke. That's my concern. Coaches know you CAN win here CBP proved that.

I kind of feel like you're contradicting yourself in one post.

HognotinMemphis

I said same a few days ago on here. I think Bielema will be found another job and will announce his resignation after the season, assuming it is a 6-6 or worse year. And so fart, all things point to that record or worse. 5 years is plenty of time to make a program your own and to start moving in the direction of the level of achievement that you are capable of. Apparently, his level of achievement in the SEC is approx 3-5 conf record on average.
I don't want you to agree with me because you're weak. I want you to agree with me because you know I'm right.

WilsonHog

Quote from: Redhogs on September 16, 2017, 10:09:49 am

Your last statement would be extremely difficult to quantify. I expect our next head coach will either be an assistant coach from a upper-tier program or a head coach from a lower-tier one.

By the way, there is a downside in your reference to Petrino, because it could be read this way:

"Yes, you CAN win at Arkansas...provided you are one of the top two or three offensive minds in college football."

Sort of limits our options, no?

rhames

While Bret has made some re head scratching decisions I also think his timing to win at arkansas was may be a little less generous than Nutt or Petrino's

TeufelHog

My gut feeling is CBB will not coach again after Arkansas.  He'll take an indefinite break due to all the money he will have made off of Arkansas . . . think about it, he shouldn't HAVE TO WORK AGAIN after multiple years as a multi-million dollar a year SEC coach.  Believe he will head to the networks.  Would be a better college football commentator/TV personality/SEC Nation type analyst.  MUCH easier life without all the stress/pressure.

jst01

I disagree. The way coaches are recycled in college, all parties know the deal, you get several years to prove it or you are replaced. And you could look at the Petrino thing another way. "Yes you can win at AR with a perfectionist coach that doesn't miss a single detail". Bc that's what it takes here.

Granny fan

I REALLY do not want Jeff Long hiring our next coach.

ADavisTheGOAT

Razorbacks | Redskins | Pelicans | LA Tech

WilsonHog

Quote from: Granny fan on September 16, 2017, 10:33:02 am

I'd say the chance of that not happening is remote.

Redhogs

Quote from: WilsonHog on September 16, 2017, 10:15:51 am
Your last statement would be extremely difficult to quantify. I expect our next head coach will either be an assistant coach from a upper-tier program or a head coach from a lower-tier one.

By the way, there is a downside in your reference to Petrino, because it could be read this way:

"Yes, you CAN win at Arkansas...provided you are one of the top two or three offensive minds in college football."

Sort of limits our options, no?
I don't disagree with anything you say Wilson, just saying ANYTHING  done from this point forward needs to be for the good of the program first and foremost. Human nature tells me that it may be a little naive to think it will end your way..no doubt that is the best case scenario. I just don't think this should be allowed to drag out for 2 more years..will see. On the other hand maybe Bret wins 8-9 games this year.....

rzrbk4life

Granny this is where I'm at. So let's say Bret leaves/fired/etc. do we really trust Long to make a good hire?? I'm not so sure I do
Let's call those hogs!!!!

Hogdomer

K-State is the only plausible P5 school that would hire him.

The NewEra

Agreed Wilson that it's not in anyone's best interest for Bielema to be fired.  I totally disagree with your scenario.

If Bielema turns this season around and wins 8 or more it will be viewed as progress.  He won't quit!

If he wins less than eight games he'll still be here for the 2018 season.  He won't be fired!  He will be sitting on the front burner of the hot seat though with a mandatory requirement to win nine or more games in 2018.

Anyone who thinks Bielema will quit has not been paying attention.  His dream is to be here for decades.

The OTR

Well that's a nice line or thinking but why would he leave if he's winning?  How many games would be the magic number for him to get another job but not stay here?  Would he be willing to probably take a pay cut and lose his buy out?  This seems less likely than any scenario to me. If he wins 7 or 8 games he will want to stay and will be allowed to do so. If he wins 6 or fewer who is going to want him for a salary he would be willing to accept?  He either wins enough and stays or loses too many and is bought out.  And I don't see that happening short of a monumental collapse such as us only winning 3 or 4 games this year.   Him leaving on his own after any type of successful season seems like the least likely scenario I can imagine. It might be plausible if he had some kind of off the field problems or if we were facing some type of sanctions from the NCAA...both seem unlikely. 

Things end badly or they don't end at all.  Coaches with his kind of salary don't want away from guaranteed millions.  He seems uncommonly stubborn and at this point in his life he would be monumentally stupid to take a pay cut after a moderately successful season with millions on the table.

Porkette

There's no rational reason to think that Jeff Long won't be making the hire. Athletic directors don't get fired because one or two sports isn't winning quite enough.
GO HOGS GO!

PonderinHog

If he does make the next hire, I bet he gets lots of help.  Of course, he will get to introduce his new HC.

JOKERHOG

I agree, he will try to save his coaching career and limp back to a middle of the pack big ten team.  Maybe we trade coaches with Purdue???
BRINGING BALANCE AND PERSPECTIVE TO HOGVILLE

"You're too damn illiterate to have a college education.  And I'm serious"  - Hawgar the Horrible 1/19/2017

5 most hated: 1Auburn 2Auburn 3Auburn 4A&M 5OU

hoghearted

My fear is that even a modicum of turn around this season will result in him staying, and an extension being granted. I have no faith that he will leave on his own.
It really is this simple. Unchecked government power leads to corruption, and lack of accountability for it is drastically eroding confidence in our institutions.    aristotle

TeufelHog

Quote from: Hogdomer on September 16, 2017, 10:39:38 am
Great point Hogdomer!  Agree and forgot about that relationship.  Unfortunately, or fortunately, I think that opportunity arrives at the end of this year due to their current coaches (Bill Snyder's) health battle.  Timing might be off +/- a year considering CBB's high "buy-out."

JOKERHOG

On the flip side, nothing shows dedication to winning like firing a coach and saying we expect better!

"You're too damn illiterate to have a college education.  And I'm serious"  - Hawgar the Horrible 1/19/2017

PonderinHog

Quote from: TeufelHog on September 16, 2017, 11:20:32 am
Great point Hogdomer!  Agree and forgot about that relationship.  Unfortunately, or fortunately, I think that opportunity arrives at the end of this year due to their current coaches (Bill Snyder's) health battle.  Timing might be off +/- a year considering CBB's high "buy-out."
CBB can leave at any time, right?

Farmer Hogget

What is the matter with you people!  Until last season, the program was rising!  And last season there were only two games that ruined it.  That is hardly "running it into the ground!"  The thing that is running this program into the ground is the effing attitude of stupid fans.  No one has done more to destroy my appreciation for all things Razorback than this twisted effed up fan base!

rhames

The NewEra

Quote from: Farmer Hogget on September 16, 2017, 11:25:12 am
What is the matter with you people!  Until last season, the program was rising!  And last season there were only two games that ruined it.  That is hardly "running it into the ground!"  The thing that is running this program into the ground is the effing attitude of stupid fans.  No one has done more to destroy my appreciation for all things Razorback than this twisted effed up fan base!

^^^^^^^^^^THIS^^^^^^^^^

JOKERHOG

Up on the wrong side of the bed this morning?

JOKERHOG

Quote from: rhames on September 16, 2017, 11:26:39 am

He would owe 2MM I believe

So basically yes.

Negotiate a deal that is fair for everyone where we pay him a small amount to go away.  If he pushes back, make him watch the game film from three of our last four games.  That should seal the deal

rhames

Quote from: JOKERHOG on September 16, 2017, 11:30:44 am
Negotiate a deal that is fair for everyone where we pay him a small amount to go away.  If he pushes back, make him watch the game film from three of our last four games.  That should seal the deal

If he leaves for another school that school will most likely pay it. I don't see us just let someone take him off our hands with no return.

We aren't going to pay him to go away if he leaves on his own. IE for another job.

Bubba's Bruisers

I agree it would be insane to fire during the season.  Probably after the season too unless this season turns into a disaster.  However, this is starting to get the feel to me of another Nutt situation.  Not of a personal nature like Nutt's fiasco with the fans, but in terms of coaching ability.  My fear is BB will do just enough where you can't fire him, but not good enough to be attractive to other suitors.  Pretty much like Nutt.

And I hate comparing BB to Nutt, because I like BB.

The real question is if disaster happens this season, and I can't see that next season is anymore promising, how motivated will BB to find anything he can to eject from this burning jet?  The kind of motivation to maybe amend his buyout to make it more palatable to UA.  I know, naive thinking.
I will put enmity between you and the woman, and between your offspring and her offspring; he shall bruise your head, and you shall bruise his heal.

Genesis 3:15

PonderinHog

Buncha terrorists, aren't we!

Cinco de Hogo

I kinda understand what your saying, I understood it all too well five years ago. 

Inhogswetrust

If making good money and not winning at a very high clip is conning a school then most coaches are conning a school.
If I'm going to cheer players and coaches in victory, I damn sure ought to be man enough to stand with them in defeat.

"Why some people are so drawn to the irrational is something that has always puzzled me" - James Randi

arlhog

I disagree.   The faster you make the change the better.  You better have a plan when you pull the trigger though.   No interim coach crap.  Have your guy you want and hire him.   The faster the better.  I like CBB but I can't drink the Kool-Aid any more.   I think he's lost the team and the longer he's here the worse it gets.   I hope i'm wrong and will gladly eat some tasty crow because I'd really like to see this work out, but just don't see it happening.

Redhogs

Quote from: Inhogswetrust on September 16, 2017, 11:37:10 am
If making good money and not winning at a very high clip is conning a school then most coaches are conning a school.
And they get fired. Most of their hands are not tied with $15 mil buyouts...ours are.

sickboy

Quote from: Hogdomer on September 16, 2017, 10:39:38 am

What? Bill Snyder is a legend.

DeWayne R

Quote from: PonderinHog on September 16, 2017, 10:52:09 am
If he does make the next hire, I bet he gets lots of help.  Of course, he will get to introduce his new HC.

Let's hope he gets a lot off help. Don't think he could find a hot dog in the concession stand.
When you're Black and proud it's called pride but when you're White and proud it's called racism

MuskogeeHogFan

Question is, who in P-5 is going to hire a HC who has underachieved? Who had a chance to win at least 9 in each of the last 3 seasons, but didn't? I mean, unless everyone just thinks, "you can't recruit well to Arkansas and it is after all, the SEC West". Is Vanderbilt looking for a new coach? Arizona or Arizona State? Minnesota has a new HC, Indiana as well, Purdue is making some noise so far, maybe Illinois if Lovie Smith flames out? Not sure he would be a good fit in the Pac 12, Big 12, SEC or the ACC. That leaves a return to the Big Ten. He either makes the team recover from TCU and have a big year here this year or he may be gone, even if it doesn't actually happen until after 2018.
Go Hogs Go!