Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

If everybody comes back

Started by FineAsSwine, March 31, 2017, 10:23:59 am

Previous topic - Next topic

FineAsSwine

Didn't realize how athletic Gafford was until I saw him in person at the Rumble on the Ridge. That game opened my eyes. Gafford, Garland and Hall are perfect for CMA's system. Gonna love what all of these kids contribute to the teams success next year.

People are sleeping on Hall but I am really looking forward to seeing what he brings to the table. The guy is a guard who has been playing in the post in high school. This means he is used to battling down low with bigger guys. That type of tough mentality in a skilled wing is what we have been missing since forever. A Ron Huery type of attitude (old folks know what I'm talking about).

Add these guys to a seasoned backcourt like Beard, Macon and Barford, plus a more mature and acclimated CJ Jones and Glasper, you have the makings of one of the deepest and most talented backcourts in the country.

With Trey, Thomas, Cook, Hazen and Bailey in the post, Gafford can come along at his own pace. The Hogs should be solid right out of the gate in the post defensively and on the glass but will lean heavily on the guards for scoring. Shouldn't be a problem there.

The way things are looking right now, if everybody comes back, we are back! Top 25 and everything!

hogwood

I would definitely agree. We should be pretty good if the roster holds true. I think folks will be surprised that we won't miss Kingsley, Hannahs, and Watkins. Having so many seniors and adding some very good freshmen - we'll be playing Hawg Ball folks.

FineAsSwine

Quote from: hogwood on March 31, 2017, 10:39:29 am
I would definitely agree. We should be pretty good if the roster holds true. I think folks will be surprised that we won't miss Kingsley, Hannahs, and Watkins. Having so many seniors and adding some very good freshmen - we'll be playing Hawg Ball folks.

This. I am more optimistic than I have been in any of the previous Anderson years because I can finally see the floor plan in place, from now though 2020.

If we capitalize, with national rankings and deeper tourney runs, we will become a force on the national recruiting scene and Hawgball will be sustainable at a high level for years to come.

lstewart

I also agree that we should be a good team if the guys come back. I don't think our record would be much better than this year, but I think we would have a better national reputation, and probably stronger ranking. Probably not as likely to get blown out in some loses as happened on occasion this year.  The SEC is going to be tough, so we will be in battles most games.

HogBeliever625

Quote from: FineAsSwine on March 31, 2017, 10:23:59 am
Didn't realize how athletic Gafford was until I saw him in person at the Rumble on the Ridge. That game opened my eyes. Gafford, Garland and Hall are perfect for CMA's system. Gonna love what all of these kids contribute to the teams success next year.

People are sleeping on Hall but I am really looking forward to seeing what he brings to the table. The guy is a guard who has been playing in the post in high school. This means he is used to battling down low with bigger guys. That type of tough mentality in a skilled wing is what we have been missing since forever. A Ron Huery type of attitude (old folks know what I'm talking about).

Add these guys to a seasoned backcourt like Beard, Macon and Barford, plus a more mature and acclimated CJ Jones and Glasper, you have the makings of one of the deepest and most talented backcourts in the country.

With Trey, Thomas, Cook, Hazen and Bailey in the post, Gafford can come along at his own pace. The Hogs should be solid right out of the gate in the post defensively and on the glass but will lean heavily on the guards for scoring. Shouldn't be a problem there.

The way things are looking right now, if everybody comes back, we are back! Top 25 and everything!
Hazen is not an SEC caliber basketball player.

BRHogfan

Quote from: HogBeliever625 on March 31, 2017, 12:12:53 pm

Most players aren't their Freshman year.  You gotta give people a little bit of time.  People used to say the same thing about Manny Watkins.

reddawg213

Quote from: FineAsSwine on March 31, 2017, 10:23:59 am

Here's a question that I don't think anyone has asked . . . . Glasper walked on to be a Hog instead of taking offers he had from lower tier schools. Do you think that they will spend the last scholarship this year on Glasper (assuming Smith goes elsewhere which is looking more likely and there aren't any other 4/3 star prospects on the market) He was a stud in high school and at worse, he would be a solid PG off the bench. I just keep seeing a situation like Baker Mayfield at OU/Texas Tech were a guy with talent leaves because the school keeps expecting him to pay his own way. Would love to keep him for the next 4 years

FineAsSwine

Quote from: reddawg213 on March 31, 2017, 12:43:54 pm
Here's a question that I don't think anyone has asked . . . . Glasper walked on to be a Hog instead of taking offers he had from lower tier schools. Do you think that they will spend the last scholarship this year on Glasper (assuming Smith goes elsewhere which is looking more likely and there aren't any other 4/3 star prospects on the market) He was a stud in high school and at worse, he would be a solid PG off the bench. I just keep seeing a situation like Baker Mayfield at OU/Texas Tech were a guy with talent leaves because the school keeps expecting him to pay his own way. Would love to keep him for the next 4 years

I would like to see his production on the court in some games first before giving that scholly to Glasper. If we don't end up signing anyone else for the 2017 class, then Glasper could possibly earn it during the year.

reddawg213

Quote from: FineAsSwine on March 31, 2017, 12:56:33 pm
I would like to see his production on the court in some games first before giving that scholly to Glasper. If we don't end up signing anyone else for the 2017 class, then Glasper could possibly earn it during the year.

Yeah, that's the part that sucks for him. He got hurt before the season. It would be a different equation if he had played in the first few games and then been out.

niels_boar

Quote from: HogBeliever625 on March 31, 2017, 12:12:53 pm

Is that based solely on game appearances?   If so, you can't make that assumption.  He may never contribute here, but plenty of players that barely play as frosh have developed into rotation players. An extreme example is Luke Maye.  He played only scrub minutes on a talented UNC team last season and didn't do much when he did get in.  He shot under 40%.  I doubt a lot of Tar Heel fans were expecting him to launch them to the FF this season. If Hazen doesn't transfer, that will mean the staff disagrees.
The jawbone of an ass is just as dangerous a weapon today as in Sampson's time.

FineAsSwine

Quote from: niels_boar on March 31, 2017, 01:33:21 pm
Is that based solely on game appearances?   If so, you can't make that assumption.  He may never contribute here, but plenty of players that barely play as frosh have developed into rotation players. An extreme example is Luke Maye.  He played only scrub minutes on a talented UNC team last season and didn't do much when he did get in.  He shot under 40%.  I doubt a lot of Tar Heel fans were expecting him to launch them to the FF this season. If Hazen doesn't transfer, that will mean the staff disagrees.

The staff wants and expects for everybody to be back. Based on CMA's consistent praise of Hazen, every since he has been here, I am confident that Hazen will get on the court next season after an offseason in the weight room and training program.

rzrbackramsfan

We are going to be long, athletic, have shooters, have great continuity on defense than we did this year. 

So excited.  Also, I agree on Gafford.  Maybe it takes him a while, but he knows his role, I believe, and it fits perfectly into what the razorbacks want to do. 

Also, I have the hope that Hall can be that glue, hustle guy like Watkins was.  If so, he should be getting a lot of board and be a monster in transition.