Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Lamont Simpson, Bo Boroski, and Darron George

Started by JIHawg, March 20, 2017, 11:05:00 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

JIHawg

They seem to be Big 10 referees.  These guys all seem to have had their share of controversies on their resumes. My question-is this the best the NCAA can offer?  Why these guys?  What about their performance and experience gets them this premium gig?

In the area of referees, who seem to more and more lately factor into the results of games, why are these guys chosen?  Is it a good ole boy system, in which their friends in high places get them these gigs?  Do they have to pass any performance criteria to be selected for the NCAA tournament?

Pardon me, but these guys just all seem sleazy.

hogsanity

Quote from: JIHawg on March 20, 2017, 11:05:00 pm
They seem to be Big 10 referees.  These guys all seem to have had their share of controversies on their resumes. My question-is this the best the NCAA can offer?  Why these guys?  What about their performance and experience gets them this premium gig?

In the area of referees, who seem to more and more lately factor into the results of games, why are these guys chosen?  Is it a good ole boy system, in which their friends in high places get them these gigs?  Do they have to pass any performance criteria to be selected for the NCAA tournament?

Pardon me, but these guys just all seem sleazy.

Working post season is a reward fro working well and being highly rated during the regular season. So someone thought all the crews working the ncaat did a good job during the regular season.

However, many times they are not hired as a crew, rather they are brought in as individuals and put together as crews, and that can lead to issues when you have not worked together before or at least very often.
People ask me what I do in winter when there is no baseball.  I will tell you what I do. I stare out the window, and I wait for spring.

"Anything goes wrong, anything at all, your fault, my fault, nobodies fault, I'm going to blow your head off."  John Wayne in BIG JAKE

Boardon Hamsay

Weren't these guys part of "The Love Boat" cast?
Quote from: Pillowhead Jackson on October 16, 2017, 07:51:05 pmDo nursing homes buy a lot of lobsters for their residents or are you back behind the trash dumpster selling hot lobsters ito Uncle Dewey for his social security money?
Quote from: Rudy Baylor on March 26, 2019, 08:33:58 pmBill Self seriously just jogged by my front yard. I almost accidentally sprayed him with Weed&Feed
Quote from: thebignasty on April 03, 2019, 12:07:41 pmExploitation of quantum mechanics pretty much has to be addressed in the NCAA handbook.
Quote from: theFlyingHog on June 09, 2021, 10:50:01 amYou certainly keep the waters well chummed.
Quote from: PonderinHog on October 22, 2021, 10:03:28 amI'm no longer drinking yet.

GoHogs1091

Quote from: hogsanity on March 20, 2017, 11:09:30 pm
Working post season is a reward fro working well and being highly rated during the regular season. So someone thought all the crews working the ncaat did a good job during the regular season.

However, many times they are not hired as a crew, rather they are brought in as individuals and put together as crews, and that can lead to issues when you have not worked together before or at least very often.

Simpson took some flack after a game he officiated this season in which there was a double foul call at the end of the game.  Simpson called a block, and another official, Paul Szelc, signaled a charge.  Here was Simpson's explanation.

https://mobile.twitter.com/MikeMillerHT/status/829896337202229248

The following article has a video of the play (toward the lower portion of the article).

http://www.insidethehall.com/2017/02/10/notebook-iu-lets-another-opportunity-slip-away/

It may somewhat explain the no-call in our game.  After the above earlier this season, Simpson may be now feeling unless the contact between an offensive player and a defender is really egregious at the end of a game, to just let it go and not call a foul so that Simpson doesn't wind up in another double foul call situation.  It is entirely plausible that if a call had been made in our game regarding the Berry play, it could have been called a double foul.   

(notOM)Rebel123

Quote from: Darrell Royal's Floating Flaming Fulminating Spectral Head on March 22, 2017, 07:19:24 pm
Weren't these guys part of "The Love Boat" cast?

I thought Lamont worked at a junk yard and Darron was married to the witch?
"Knowledge is Good"....Emil Faber

PonderinHog

Quote from: (notOM)Rebel123 on March 22, 2017, 08:42:54 pm
I thought Lamont worked at a junk yard and Darron was married to the witch?
Bo knows.  Ask him.

N HOG

Quote from: GoHogs1091 on March 22, 2017, 08:32:21 pm
Simpson took some flack after a game he officiated this season in which there was a double foul call at the end of the game.  Simpson called a block, and another official, Paul Szelc, signaled a charge.  Here was Simpson's explanation.

The following article has a video of the play (toward the lower portion of the article).

http://www.insidethehall.com/2017/02/10/notebook-iu-lets-another-opportunity-slip-away/

It may somewhat explain the no-call in our game.  After the above earlier this season, Simpson may be now feeling unless the contact between an offensive player and a defender is really egregious at the end of a game, to just let it go and not call a foul so that Simpson doesn't wind up in another double foul call situation.  It is entirely plausible that if a call had been made in our game regarding the Berry play, it could have been called a double foul.

Or another plausible explanation is that he's not a very good official - based on the fact he swallowed his whistle on a five-step walk.

husker71

according to a book he wrote Bo Boroski was a hard throwing pitcher with the Angels in the early 60s.  He drank alot and bedded alot of Hollywood starlets.  He evidently could not balance his drinking and partying and even though he had a blazing fastball he quickly flamed out and left baseball.

hogsanity

Quote from: GoHogs1091 on March 22, 2017, 08:32:21 pm

I was watching that game, could not believe it when they went with a double foul, a block and a charge on the same tow players simultaneously. Baseline ref had one call wing had the other and I guess neither would budge off their call. In my view the baseline guy had the call and should have been the one they went with due to the position and view of the 2 officials.
People ask me what I do in winter when there is no baseball.  I will tell you what I do. I stare out the window, and I wait for spring.

"Anything goes wrong, anything at all, your fault, my fault, nobodies fault, I'm going to blow your head off."  John Wayne in BIG JAKE

incHOGnito

Quote from: hogsanity on March 20, 2017, 11:09:30 pm

I think you make a great point!  There were several times that there was clear miscommunication and confusion, where seemingly one official was waiting on another official to make a call.  This was definitely the case on the charge/walk/no-call at the end of the game.  The ref closest to the viewer on the screen seemed clearly to be waiting on the ref closest to the ball to make the call.