Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

2017/18 Hog basketball roster as of 3/20/17?

Started by rzrbkman, March 20, 2017, 09:25:11 am

Previous topic - Next topic

rzrbkman

Would someone list the players in class order including only the new recruits that have officially signed? Thanks.

Hawg Red

March 20, 2017, 09:38:10 am #1 Last Edit: March 20, 2017, 03:59:08 pm by Hawg Red
SR - Trey Thompson (F/C)
SR - Dustin Thomas (F)
SR - Arlando Cook (F)
SR - Daryl Macon (G)
SR - Jaylen Barford (G)
SR - Anton Beard (G)
SO - Adrio Bailey (F)
SO - C.J. Jones (G)
SO - Brachen Hazen (F)
FR - R.J. Glasper (redshirt walk-on)
FR - Dan Gafford (C)
FR - Khalil Garland (G)
FR - Darious Hall (G/F)

We have one open scholarship open for the 2017 recruiting class with one offer out to Zhaire Smith (F/G) out of Texas.

rzrbkman

Going to be a top heavy in the senior class next season and no seniors in 2 seasons. Who knows, the 2018-19 season might finally be the year the Hogs can get a couple of good graduate transfers to come on board to help out while the younger players are being seasoned further. Or maybe there is at least a couple of good unsigned junior college point guards out there that really improved after the early signing date and the Hogs might get in on one of them.

311Hog

Man that is alot of SR's.  Always a good thing to have SR's in the big dance.

Youngsta71701

March 20, 2017, 02:23:57 pm #4 Last Edit: March 21, 2017, 09:04:21 am by Youngsta71701
Quote from: Hawg Red on March 20, 2017, 09:38:10 am
SR - Trey Thompson (F/C) 6-9 265
SR - Dustin Thomas (F) 6-8 225
SR - Arlando Cook (F) 6-8 215
SR - Daryl Macon (G) 6-3 185
SR - Jaylen Barford (G) 6-3 200
SR - Anton Beard (G) 6-0? 200
SO - Adrio Bailey (F) 6-6 205
SO - C.J. Jones (G) 6-5 175
SO - Brachen Hazen (F) - 6-8 195
FR - R.J. Glasper (redshirt walk-on) - 5-10 170
FR - Dan Gafford (C) 6-10 220
FR - Khalil Garland (G) 6-6 190
FR - Darious Hall (G/F) 6-6 210

We have one open scholarship open for the 2017 recruiting class with one offer out to Zhaire Smith (F/G) out of Texas.
"The more things change the more they stay the same"

The_Iceman

Barford / Beard / Glasper
Macon / Garland
Jones / Hall
Bailey / Thomas / Cook / Hazen
Gafford / Thompson

That is how the roster stands now.

threeNout

SR - Trey Thompson (F/C)
SR - Dustin Thomas (F)
SR - Arlando Cook (F)
SR - Daryl Macon (G)
SR - Jaylen Barford (G)
SR - Anton Beard (G)
SO - Adrio Bailey (F)
SO - C.J. Jones (G)
SO - Brachen Hazen (F)
FR - Dan Gafford (C)
FR - Khalil Gafford (G)
FR - Darious Hall (G/F)

Beasley still has three 3 years left doesn't he?  First year I remember him.  just get him a new number and spell his name right  B E A S L E Y.

The_Iceman

Quote from: 311Hog on March 20, 2017, 10:58:34 am
Man that is alot of SR's.  Always a good thing to have SR's in the big dance.

In 2018-2019, you will then have a very young, but very talented roster. If that group stays together, Elite 8 or even a Final 4 run in not out of the realm of possibility. But luck would have to fall our way.

You would have a Top 50 Center recruit (6'11" Gafford) and a Top 25 Power Forward  recruit  (6'9" Perry) starting in the same lineup. Best frontcourt combo since 1995.

Then you will have length at forward and guard along side of them. It will be a complete team.

311Hog

Quote from: The_Iceman on March 20, 2017, 02:32:21 pm
In 2018-2019, you will then have a very young, but very talented roster. If that group stays together, Elite 8 or even a Final 4 run in not out of the realm of possibility. But luck would have to fall our way.

You would have a Top 50 Center recruit (6'11" Gafford) and a Top 25 Power Forward  recruit  (6'9" Perry) starting in the same lineup. Best frontcourt combo since 1995.

Then you will have length at forward and guard along side of them. It will be a complete team.

indeed, would Justice Hill be here by then?  you are right in that alot longer, more athletic team.

The_Iceman

Quote from: 311Hog on March 20, 2017, 02:33:54 pm
indeed, would Justice Hill be here by then?  you are right in that alot longer, more athletic team.

Hill is a 2019 recruit, but there are rumors of him reclassifying down.

rzrbkman

I indicated on another post earlier in the season that l thought that there would be at least one player transfer out before next season and possibly 2 and I still think that. The number of players that transfer each year in Division I for whatever reason is incredible.

NoogaHog

SR - Trey Thompson (F/C)
SR - Dustin Thomas (F)
SR - Arlando Cook (F)
SR - Daryl Macon (G)
SR - Jaylen Barford (G)
SR - Anton Beard (G)
SO - Adrio Bailey (F)
SO - C.J. Jones (G)
SO - Brachen Hazen (F)
FR - Dan Gafford (C)
FR - Khalil Gafford (G)
FR - Darious Hall (G/F)

Thassa lotta Gaffords!! Can we take 3 more? ;)
Слава Богу - Slava Bogu - "Glory to God"

sadhogfan

The lack of balance in the classes concerns me, specifically that we have no juniors at all.

Depending on whether or not we have unexpected departures, I think it would be nice to go out and get a decent JUCO or two, if such player(s) exist(s).

Also, do we know anything about Glasper? Is he a regular walk-on, or a "walk-on" in the tradition of Haydar, Gulley, and Watkins who can legitimately contribute?

daprospecta

Quote from: sadhogfan on March 20, 2017, 04:03:07 pm
The lack of balance in the classes concerns me, specifically that we have no juniors at all.

Depending on whether or not we have unexpected departures, I think it would be nice to go out and get a decent JUCO or two, if such player(s) exist(s).

Also, do we know anything about Glasper? Is he a regular walk-on, or a "walk-on" in the tradition of Haydar, Gulley, and Watkins who can legitimately contribute?
I was under the impression he red-shirted because an injury.  I haven't seen him play but a few on hogville thought he could contribute down the line.

wavybone

March 20, 2017, 05:10:34 pm #14 Last Edit: March 20, 2017, 05:39:38 pm by wavybone
DD and other hog writers have said he's a "walk-on" that could contribute down the line.

N HOG

Quote from: daprospecta on March 20, 2017, 05:09:00 pm
I was under the impression he red-shirted because an injury.  I haven't seen him play but a few on hogville thought he could contribute down the line.

I haven't seen Glasper play a lot, but he was a scoring machine at a pretty high level of competition in high school.

reddawg213

Quote from: daprospecta on March 20, 2017, 05:09:00 pm
I was under the impression he red-shirted because of an injury.  I haven't seen him play but a few on hogville thought he could contribute down the line.

Yeah, Glasper was a beast in HS. He was a major piece in both of Forrest City's 2 state titles (he was leading scorer in both games.) It was really his height that concerned people during his recruiting (though having actually met the kid, he is tall that listed seeing as I'm 5' 9" and he's definitely taller than me) Just taking a quick look at his last HS stats: 27.3PPG, 8.7APG, 5.5RPG, 4.4 STPG.

If he can contribute even half that for the Hogs, it would put him even with Dusty production wise (Note: Dusty's HS stats were similar.) Plus, the redshirt gives him another year which typically leads to better production (more time in the same system)

The kid could honestly be the real dark horse on the roster assuming he is fully recovered.

Smithian

Quote from: The_Iceman on March 20, 2017, 02:32:21 pm

The front court will be stacked in 18/19. We just need to some guards to develop and that will be a hell of a team with all that talent.

We have an opportunity to have a really good three year run. Success breeds success.

Youngsta71701

Quote from: reddawg213 on March 20, 2017, 07:02:06 pm
Yeah, Glasper was a beast in HS. He was a major piece in both of Forrest City's 2 state titles (he was leading scorer in both games.) It was really his height that concerned people during his recruiting (though having actually met the kid, he is tall that listed seeing as I'm 5' 9" and he's definitely taller than me) Just taking a quick look at his last HS stats: 27.3PPG, 8.7APG, 5.5RPG, 4.4 STPG.

If he can contribute even half that for the Hogs, it would put him even with Dusty production wise (Note: Dusty's HS stats were similar.) Plus, the redshirt gives him another year which typically leads to better production (more time in the same system)

The kid could honestly be the real dark horse on the roster assuming he is fully recovered.
I've told a lot of people this already. He is a true lead/point guard that can score when needed. He can make everybody better. He's not flashy or anything but he seems to always make the right play and be in the right spot. He doesn't force the issue, he let's the game come to him. I think he's gonna really surprise some folks. Maybe next year :-\.
"The more things change the more they stay the same"

reddawg213

Quote from: Youngsta71701 on March 21, 2017, 09:08:58 am
I've told a lot of people this already. He is a true lead/point guard that can score when needed. He can make everybody better. He's not flashy or anything but he seems to always make the right play and be in the right spot. He doesn't force the issue, he let's the game come to him. I think he's gonna really surprise some folks. Maybe next year :-\.

Agreed . . . . people seem to forget this kid was one of the most productive guards in the state. Yeah, he took a chance on himself to be a Hog and caught a bad break this year but I looking forward to seeing him out there next year.

rljjr

Anyone know the approximate date next year's schedule will be released?

Biggus Piggus

Quote from: rljjr on March 21, 2017, 08:45:10 pm
Anyone know the approximate date next year's schedule will be released?

Late August.
[CENSORED]!

Big Nasty 34

Quote from: Smithian on March 20, 2017, 09:38:33 pm
The front court will be stacked in 18/19. We just need to some guards to develop and that will be a hell of a team with all that talent.

We have an opportunity to have a really good three year run. Success breeds success.

We need a JUCO Big or Grad transfer to backup Gafford and allow us to play he and Perry together as much as possible. We have depth at the 4 but would be pretty small if Perry and Gafford got into foul trouble.

BRHogfan

Quote from: NoogaHog on March 20, 2017, 03:48:35 pm
SR - Trey Gafford(F/C)
SR - Dustin Gafford(F)
SR - Arlando Gafford(F)
SR - Daryl Gafford(G)
SR - Jaylen Gafford(G)
SR - Anton Gafford(G)
SO - Adrio Gafford(F)
SO - C.J. Gafford(G)
SO - Gafford Hazen (F)
FR - R.J. Gafford (redshirt walk-on)
FR - Dan Gafford (C)
FR - Khalil Gafford (G)
FR - Gafford Hall (G/F)

Thassa lotta Gaffords!! Can we take 3 more? ;)

Seems a little odd...

Hawg414

this is a good, informative thread.  i was actually looking for this information earlier in the recruiting forum... and while there are stickied threads regarding this, they dont really have any information in them.

to go a step further, can anyone provide a list of the players for the NEXT class (2018-2019 freshmen) that have already committed... or that are thick in the mix??  i know there is a F/C named Henderson.. and that Justice Hill may try to get into this class a year ahead of his regular classification... but who else?  judging by the rosters shown above, we are going to have 3 JRs, 4 or 5 SOs... so this should be a pretty important class.

Hawg Red

Quote from: Hawg414 on March 22, 2017, 03:02:27 pm
this is a good, informative thread.  i was actually looking for this information earlier in the recruiting forum... and while there are stickied threads regarding this, they dont really have any information in them.

to go a step further, can anyone provide a list of the players for the NEXT class (2018-2019 freshmen) that have already committed... or that are thick in the mix??  i know there is a F/C named Henderson.. and that Justice Hill may try to get into this class a year ahead of his regular classification... but who else?  judging by the rosters shown above, we are going to have 3 JRs, 4 or 5 SOs... so this should be a pretty important class.

Reggie Perry (2018) - PF 6'9, 225
Ethan Henderson (2018) - PF 6'8, 190
Isaiah Joe (2018) - SG 6'4, 165
Desi Sills (2018) - SG/PG 6'2, 180
Rodgerick Brown (2018) - SF/PF 6'6, 200 (not committed but still has Arkansas as his leader)

Justice Hill (2019) - PG 5'11, 160

NWAHog479

Hill might try to move into the '18 class? Where did you hear this?

Hawg Red

Quote from: NWAHog479 on March 23, 2017, 02:19:00 pm
Hill might try to move into the '18 class? Where did you hear this?

Poppa Hill said it on DTS and it has been mentioned elsewhere.

chiti66

Quote from: The_Iceman on March 20, 2017, 02:25:54 pm
Macon / Jones / Garland
Bailey / Hall
Thomas / Cook / Hazen
Gafford / Thompson

Bailey should move to the 3....and move CJ to his natural 2 spot.  JMO.....

daprospecta

Quote from: chiti66 on March 23, 2017, 08:46:51 pm
Quote from: The_Iceman on March 20, 2017, 02:25:54 pm
Macon / Jones / Garland
Bailey / Hall
Thomas / Cook / Hazen
Gafford / Thompson

Bailey should move to the 3....and move CJ to his natural 2 spot.  JMO.....

I just don't see Garland being the 3rd guard off the bench.  Call me crazy.

chiti66

Then where does he fit?  He could be third 3rd guard in a 3-guard line-up.