Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Who would like to see Arkansas in the big 12 ?

Started by pimpndistress, December 17, 2005, 07:24:55 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

pimpndistress

To me I would love to see Arkansas play in the big 12. To me I thank the games would mean allot more to us if we played teams like Texas,Texas A&M and OU In the SEC the only game that feels the same to me is LSU and that's all.. But that's just me does anyone else feel this way ?
:razorback:  FIRE JEFF LONG :razorback:
SMITE ME IF YOU LOVE  JEFF LONG [move]

CiriusPorker

I wouldn't like to see Arkansas keep jumping around from conference to conference.  Arkansas is the outsider still in the SEC...we're one of the youngest...and if we go to the big 12, it's that same thing all over again.  I like it when our teams have a sense of belonging in the group..to jump back to the big 12 would give us that..."we don't belong" feeling for a while

Hog Bounty Hunter

With a different head coach, maybe with this guy we would get similar results as we are getting now.

pimpndistress

Quote from: CiriusPorker on December 17, 2005, 07:27:56 pm
I wouldn't like to see Arkansas keep jumping around from conference to conference. Arkansas is the outsider still in the SEC...we're one of the youngest...and if we go to the big 12, it's that same thing all over again. I like it when our teams have a sense of belonging in the group..to jump back to the big 12 would give us that..."we don't belong" feeling for a while
Yea I just feel that way now in the SEC  I thank we would win more games in the big 12

pimpndistress

I say this just because I would thank it would be funner..

Sonofahog

Proud son of the Hog punt returner in the video below!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-JFM2ht-O8c

SuperPig

No way.  I think we would win more games, but then we would step out of conferance and see how bad of a team we have. Good examples are OU vs. LSU,  OU vs. USC and texass this year.

pimpndistress

well the teams we play now out of conference are not that good any ways but USC and I was happy to play them we had nothing to lose

corndo

No Big 12. Why would we want to play inferior competition when we are in the best football conference in the country?

pimpndistress

Quote from: corndo on December 17, 2005, 07:38:57 pm
No Big 12. Why would we want to play inferior competition when we are in the best football conference in the country?
well we do not win much and it does not get us notice at all out of the SEC and the big 12 no one knows who we are !

wildhogman

Let us win the SEC a few times and all that changes. You really think Florida was always on everyones hit list? They did it under Spurrier winning alot of games.
Jumping conferences makes us look like babie saying its to hard, we wont easier competition.
I'd rather win the SEC.
and I dont really care who the coach is. Nutt, Davis, Malzahn, or Bozo. as long as we win, it cures all ills

ban0099

I'd like to see us dominating the SEC first, then I'd think about moving to big 12

pimpndistress

December 17, 2005, 08:00:35 pm #12 Last Edit: December 17, 2005, 08:02:06 pm by pimpndistress
Quote from: wildhogman on December 17, 2005, 07:49:39 pm
Let us win the SEC a few times and all that changes. You really think Florida was always on everyones hit list? They did it under Spurrier winning alot of games.
Jumping conferences makes us look like babie saying its to hard, we wont easier competition.
I'd rather win the SEC.
and I dont really care who the coach is. Nutt, Davis, Malzahn, or Bozo. as long as we win, it cures all ills
Well I thank it going the wrong way I was just talking about the teams we play on how it feels ( like it does when we play Texas )  not about the win I mean it feels great when we get that big win in the SEC  but the teams we play it just dont have that same feeling

Pragmatic PiG

IMO it would be better for football recruiting, not to mention being competitive. Great for travel in all sports

I think it would be worse for baseball though, prolly better for hoops, although I am not sure what the impact would be on hoops recruiting. Besides instate, seems Stan likes to go east or upper midwest. Wouldn't make a bit of difference in track as far as results go, McDonnell beats anybody and evverybody

Being the ugly stepchild in the SEC has been very profitable though for Arkansas, I don't see it ever happening

Broken Trigger

Not me.  I like being in the SEC, and i believe we are on the verge of competing for conference championships in football and basketball.   We are already there in baseball, track, and most other sports.  The only place we are just really outmatched is in women's basketball.   I don't know what has happened to our lady's team. 

corndo

Quote from: RazorbackRick on December 17, 2005, 08:06:44 pm
Not me. I like being in the SEC, and i believe we are on the verge of competing for conference championships in football and basketball. We are already there in baseball, track, and most other sports. The only place we are just really outmatched is in women's basketball. I don't know what has happened to our lady's team.

Gary Blair left.

Joe-T

Big 12 North so we could kick texas or okla. ass for the championship every year !!! SWEET !!!!

Macgyver_Hawg

It's not because of the SEC that we are losing.
We'd make the same recruiting mistakes in the Big 12.

Broken Trigger

Quote from: corndo on December 17, 2005, 08:08:39 pm
Quote from: RazorbackRick on December 17, 2005, 08:06:44 pm
Not me. I like being in the SEC, and i believe we are on the verge of competing for conference championships in football and basketball. We are already there in baseball, track, and most other sports. The only place we are just really outmatched is in women's basketball. I don't know what has happened to our lady's team.

Gary Blair left.

Exactly what i was thinking, but you would've thought we could have gotten a good replacement.

HoggerNocker

I like the SEC and the Big 12.  There is no shame in either conference.  If in five years Colorado bolts for the PAC 10 and the Big 12 come courting, then we should listen.  If we are still a mid to bottom of the pack SEC team then we should jump, but if we have risen to the top of the SEC we should stay where were at.  A winning team can recruit nationally, an average team can't.  An average team needs a regional hotbed such as Texas to pick from. 
So it all boils down to how good we are when the Big 12 comes calling.

dj shanon "Notshavin" smeya

The Big 12 is overrated...would rather stay in the SEC and eventually prove our greatness..future greatness, that is
published songwriter(ASCAP)/audio production/radio jingles/producer<br /><br />Audio Production/Music

R.I.P. notshavintilnuttgo 12/11/07

Pragmatic PiG

Quote from: MacGyver Hawg on December 17, 2005, 08:46:00 pm
It's not because of the SEC that we are losing.
We'd make the same recruiting mistakes in the Big 12.

I disagree a little

At least the hogs wouldn't be wasting their time trying to recruit the SE regions. Would stick with TX, and OK, maybe even slip a couple players out of MO

But your right, they'd still of fricked up on evalutaions and filling the depth chart

BigPapaHawg

WOO PIG

BigoBoys

No way!  The big twelve is weak.  U of A ranks 5 nationally in all athletics.  MUCH more money in the SEC and MUCH more exposure when you consider all sports.

the donger

Who would like to see Ark. in the big 12? How about the other 11 in the Big 12!

WindyCityHog

This argument is just OLD.

The Big 12 offers nothing that you can't find in the SEC.  Outside of Texas, A & M, and possibly Oklahoma, there ain't a lot of "rivalry" there.  Arkansas is still the redheaded stepchild in the SEC.....it would be the adopted redheaded stepchild in the Big 12.

Ain't gonna happen.

Method Ham

Quote from: CiriusPorker on December 17, 2005, 07:27:56 pm
I wouldn't like to see Arkansas keep jumping around from conference to conference. Arkansas is the outsider still in the SEC...we're one of the youngest...and if we go to the big 12, it's that same thing all over again. I like it when our teams have a sense of belonging in the group..to jump back to the big 12 would give us that..."we don't belong" feeling for a while

The difference in this argument is that we HAVE historic rivalries with teams in the Big XII, unlike the SEC when we joined.  Yeah...we played Ole Miss quite a bit back in the 50's, 60's or whatever.  But going to the Big XII the Hogs would have Texas, A&M, Tech, Mizzou, OU, etc. that we've played an awful lot in the past.

I think we would fit in much quicker than it has taken us in the SEC.
OUR PRIORITIES ARE ALL MIXED UP IN THIS STATE.  WE HOLD OUR ATHLETIC COACHES MORE ACCOUNTABLE THAN OUR ELECTED OFFICIALS.

djgaffer

I would prefer to stay in the best league in the country.  Under no circumstances would I want to switch leagues because I thought I could get more wins somewhere else.  That's defeatest and basically cowardly.  Stay in the SEC, when you're down you take your lumps... and when you do win it you know you've beaten the best in the country, even if the BCS stiffs you.

Boarcephus

Quote from: WindyCityHog on December 17, 2005, 10:10:20 pm

The Big 12 offers nothing that you can't find in the SEC. Outside of Texas, A & M, and possibly Oklahoma, there ain't a lot of "rivalry" there. Arkansas is still the redheaded stepchild in the SEC.....it would be the adopted redheaded stepchild in the Big 12.

Ain't gonna happen.

Amen brother.  I'm getting so tired of this.  Seems like every other new poster has to bring this topic up I suppose just to have something to post.  From this point forward I'm making a note to myself....avoid these posts..worthless.
I need to be more like my dog...if you can't fight it, screw it, or eat it, then piss on it.

WindyCityHog

Quote from: Boarcephus on December 17, 2005, 10:22:59 pm
Quote from: WindyCityHog on December 17, 2005, 10:10:20 pm

The Big 12 offers nothing that you can't find in the SEC. Outside of Texas, A & M, and possibly Oklahoma, there ain't a lot of "rivalry" there. Arkansas is still the redheaded stepchild in the SEC.....it would be the adopted redheaded stepchild in the Big 12.

Ain't gonna happen.

Amen brother. I'm getting so tired of this. Seems like every other new poster has to bring this topic up I suppose just to have something to post. From this point forward I'm making a note to myself....avoid these posts..worthless.

Some seem to think a move to the Big 12 would benefit the Hogs....In what way?

The "rivalries" with Texas, A&M, Tech....the proximity to OK, Okie St, and Mizzou....

I say bullshiite.

It's because many believe the Big 12 is a weaker conference....which I believe it is.

Can't win here?  Let's jump ship.....Frig the Big 12.  Let's shoot for the moon and join the SunBelt.....that would be total domination.

Fact is, the shortcomings here wouldn't change a thing.  Even in the Big 12....

corndo

True, the games against Texas and A&M would be more passionate, but I just couldn't get excited about going to Iowa St and playing in front of 45,000 fans or Baylor in front of 25,000 fans. There are some good teams in the Big 12 but it can no way compare to the SEC. If we were in the Big 12 this year we would have played a maximum of 2 ranked teams if we were in the South, none if we were in the North!

I don't know about you, but the last thing I want to do is go to a weaker conference just b/c we can't compete in the SEC like we would like to. The answer is to get better as a team, not to tuck our tails b/w our legs and run. If we can't get excited about playing in one of the best, if not the best, conference in the nation, there is something wrong.

Besides, we went to the SEC believing that Texas and A&M would go with us - Texas snubbed us. We have spoken with Texas about trying to play home and away on a yearly basis - they don't want to do it. Why do we still care so much about them when they could give a rip about us?

BigoBoys

The big twelve is weak.  MORE MONEY in the SEC

Hogs4Ever

We're in the best conference in the country, why change?  Just so we can win a couple of more games?  We can do that in the SEC I believe.  Playing Kansas, Kansas ST, Baylor, TTech, Okla. State, just wouldn't do it for me. 

Buck Ocean

QuoteThis argument is just OLD.

The Big 12 offers nothing that you can't find in the SEC.  Outside of Texas, A & M, and possibly Oklahoma, there ain't a lot of "rivalry" there.  Arkansas is still the redheaded stepchild in the SEC.....it would be the adopted redheaded stepchild in the Big 12.

My gosh print this every so often and people will get the picture.  Nothin to add, other than has anybody ever heard
Sports Networks and analysts ever say "The big 12 is the strongest conference year in and year out"

No ...theyve never said that and they never will...when people think Powerhouse conferences, its always the SEC in the discussion, if not most times the hands down winner.
Think like a Jedi

ballhog™

Corndo is right.  You want to know what bigtime football is about.  Check the attendance at all the home SEC games and compare it with the Big 12 teams.

I get excited about playing Auburn, Alabama, LSU, Florida, Tennesse, Georgia.
And playing Ole Miss, Miss State, and South Carolina is more exciting than playing Baylor, Iowa State, Kansas State, Texas Tech, Oklahoma State, and Baylor.  IMO
Touchdown Arkansas! Oh My! --Paul Eells- Voice of the Razorbacks-Southern Gentleman

I do believe you have to be able to run the football when you want to, run the football when you have to. I believe you have to be able to throw the football when you want to, and throw the football when you have to.  --Former Razorback Head Football Coach Bobby Petrino.

corndo

Quote from: ballhog on December 17, 2005, 11:09:04 pm
Corndo is right. You want to know what bigtime football is about. Check the attendance at all the home SEC games and compare it with the Big 12 teams.

I get excited about playing Auburn, Alabama, LSU, Florida, Tennesse, Georgia.
And playing Ole Miss, Miss State, and South Carolina is more exciting than playing Baylor, Iowa State, Kansas State, Texas Tech, Oklahoma State, and Baylor. IMO

As of  next year, the SEC will have 5 stadiums that seat over 90k, 7 that seat over 80k. The Big 12 has 8 that seat under 53k. - That speaks volumes right there!

CorningHog

The SEC dwarfs the Big 12 in attendance and I am sure in money per revenue sports.

To me the Big 12 is not even close.

I personally, would, like I have said when this kind of thread appears on here, probably stop my season tickets for sure.

There would be no reason any sane person running our athletic dept would ever consider such a move.

Anyone who starts these threads and actually wants us to move, I have one question for you.  Are you a season ticket holder and if you are, for how long?
"Seek ye first the Kingdom of Heaven"

rlamb

These are my reasons,

1. The big 12 North is a perfect geographic fit.  Okie State Okie, Kansas, Mizzou, and K-State
would all be Bus trips.
2. I would hope Terxas would be a permanent rival becuase to me, if you put all the arrogant a--holes in the SEC together they all don't get my blood boiling as much as 1 Texas.
3. It's Home!!
4. Better recruiuting in Texas
5. Just as much of a Bowl tie-in.
6. Contrary to popular opinion, the money in the SEC is not that much better.
7. JUST BECAUSE!!!!!

Albert Einswine

"Funny thing, I become a hell of a good fisherman when the trout decide to commit suicide." ~ John D. Voelker

ghg1

There are 5 Big XII schools closer to UA than the closest SEC school, and none of those are the TX schools with whom most of our history rests.  That' s all that really needs to be said. 

UA is a geographic oddity in the SEC and always will be.

hogsno1

Question who does the Big XII kick out to make a spot for us, so they don't become the Big 13?

If we departed from the SEC they would be left with only 11 teams. Got to have 12 for divisional play and stage a conference championship game. The Sec would have to pick from Southern Mississippi, UAB, and Memphis to replace us, therefore I don't think they would want to let us go that easily. None of those schools can be as competitive in all sports like we can.

Plus I would rather make a trip to Gainesville, FL once every 5 years and come home with a sunburn than go to Lincoln, NE and freeze my @ss off.

Chappeee

Are you wanting to have Baylor removed from the Big XII ?   One team will have to go if Ark is to join.  Plus another team will have to take Arkansas' place in the SEC.  Louisville?

corndo

Quote from: hogsno1 on December 18, 2005, 01:26:30 am
Question who does the Big XII kick out to make a spot for us, so they don't become the Big 13?

If we departed from the SEC they would be left with only 11 teams. Got to have 12 for divisional play and stage a conference championship game. The Sec would have to pick from Southern Mississippi, UAB, and Memphis to replace us, therefore I don't think they would want to let us go that easily. None of those schools can be as competitive in all sports like we can.

Plus I would rather make a trip to Gainesville, FL once every 5 years and come home with a sunburn than go to Lincoln, NE and freeze my @ss off.

The Big 12 would probably remain just that, like the Big "10" has the same name even though they have 11 members. Of course, it's not going to happen.

Porky OLeary

Not gonna happen, but let's consider;
Money. Everyone says the sec gets more. I looked it up last year. The sec paid one million more per team than the b12. Not much, really. Someone google it, it's hard to find what the b12 pays, and I'm on dialup.
I am from fayetteville, no doubt in my mind we fit the b12 better geographically. The south stops at the hills just east of little rock, and the west begins.
Since all sports except football have a championship game, and football pays the bills, I think a conference change should be mostly about football.
A return to texas recruiting. If we had that now, we might just be more competitive in the sec.
Only a few thousand hogfans ever travel. So I really don't care how many fans a conference foe has, or how nice their stadium is. I only see games at rrs or wm.
Last year's texas game at rrs was one of the best games for hogfans ever. We could have that game every other year. Oklahoma, a&m, okie state. I think those games would mean much more to western arkansas fans than olmiss, msstate..
We might actually get ranked in the b12. We are seldom going to be in the sec.
And finally, our athletic dept is not comitted to winning in the sec. So we might as well move.

othermac

tuck tail and jump to the big 12, that is what it would be doing , the way i feel is we are in the sec, like new york city, if you can do it there, you can do it anywhere. we need to prove our program right where we are.
"opportunity is missed by most because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work" Thomas Edison

Thrilbilly

I'm not suggesting we leave the SEC BUT,,,I do think the Big 12 would have been a better fit for us overall had we went there in the first place. We fit the B12 better geografically, we match up better, I feel we would have been much better in recruiting because of the better fit. Bottom line I think we could have been a Power House in the Big 12 vs somewhat of an oddity in the SEC.

ballhog™

Broyles had the vision to get us out of the sinking ship of the SWC.  It left everyone else scrambling.  There was no Big 12 to turn to back then.
Touchdown Arkansas! Oh My! --Paul Eells- Voice of the Razorbacks-Southern Gentleman

I do believe you have to be able to run the football when you want to, run the football when you have to. I believe you have to be able to throw the football when you want to, and throw the football when you have to.  --Former Razorback Head Football Coach Bobby Petrino.

HogHeathen

I like the idea of the Big 12 for mostly geographic reasons.  I'd like a shot at Texass and Owho on a yearly basis.

kuhog

Arkansas in the Big 12 would be a perfect match - proximity to conference programs, list of rivalries, and better recruiting opportunities. And I don't agree with many poster's here mentioning that the SEC is far superior to the Big 12. Currently, the SEC has the advantage in terms of higher quality teams. This was a good year for the top tier teams in the SEC, and a tough year for the members in Big 12. However, they do have more teams going to bowl games, than the SEC. This tells me that the SEC was extremely weak in the lower half of the conference. Much weaker than the Big 12. Also, when arguing the superiority complex the SEC has, I look at the number of teams within the SEC that has played for a national championship since the induction of the Big 12. Since 1994, the Big 12 has represented 8 teams playing for the championship. 4 of which have won. With a possible 5th this year. The SEC is certainly comparable, but not far superior. I have also noticed that there are some years where the Big 12 is better than the SEC from top to bottom, but then there are years where the SEC is better. Never-the-less, these two conferences are actually pretty comparable in regards to talent, and competitiveness. And even though I would still give an edge to the SEC, it would not be an overwhelming advantage.

corndo

Quote from: kuhog on December 18, 2005, 12:02:00 pm
Arkansas in the Big 12 would be a perfect match - proximity to conference programs, list of rivalries, and better recruiting opportunities. And I don't agree with many poster's here mentioning that the SEC is far superior to the Big 12. Currently, the SEC has the advantage in terms of higher quality teams. This was a good year for the top tier teams in the SEC, and a tough year for the members in Big 12. However, they do have more teams going to bowl games, than the SEC. This tells me that the SEC was extremely weak in the lower half of the conference. Much weaker than the Big 12. Also, when arguing the superiority complex the SEC has, I look at the number of teams within the SEC that has played for a national championship since the induction of the Big 12. Since 1994, the Big 12 has represented 8 teams playing for the championship. 4 of which have won. With a possible 5th this year. The SEC is certainly comparable, but not far superior. I have also noticed that there are some years where the Big 12 is better than the SEC from top to bottom, but then there are years where the SEC is better. Never-the-less, these two conferences are actually pretty comparable in regards to talent, and competitiveness. And even though I would still give an edge to the SEC, it would not be an overwhelming advantage.

You make some good points, but the stats that back up the SEC as a better conference since the inception of the Big 12 are there.

Some Stats (since 1996)

Bowl Appearances: SEC - 64, Big 12  - 60

Winning Percentage in those games: SEC 60%, Big 12 45%

Players in the NFL as of 2003: SEC - 263, Big 12 - 187

Nationally Televised games in 2005: SEC - 31, Big 12 - 11

Stadiums Capacity as of 2006: SEC - 5 of 90k, 7 of 80k, Big 12 - 8 under 54k

National Championships: SEC - 3, Big 12 - 2

Recruiting Ranking Strength Average Per Rivals since 2001: SEC 1st every year, Big 12 average is 4th

Ranked Teams: SEC - 52, Big 12  - 45

The SEC also leads all conferences in annual revenue sharing.

Don't get me wrong, I think the Big 12 is a good conference, but it can't compare to the SEC.