Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

April 23, 2024, 09:30:40 pm

IF Rafe Peavey were here....

Started by twistitup, March 07, 2018, 10:41:26 am

Previous topic - Next topic

OneTuskOverTheLine™

Quote from: bennyl08 on March 08, 2018, 01:53:35 am
First, dude, you were almost there. This close to a making a clever star wars reference. Whitehurst? Now that is a name I have not heard in a long time...

I was definitely in the minority who just didn't see all the love that Whitehurst was getting. Watching the same highlight videos, he just didn't look that special to me. That's not to brag because in that same recruiting class, I was sold on the highlights of Kelvin Fisher Jr and he didn't do really do any better.

I don't think it's always that the highlight videos are misleading (you do have to keep an eye out for sped up tape video. Also, a lot of people judge a player's speed relative to the other players, but you have to judge their speed relative to the field itself.) Moreso, you have to recognize that the highlights are only a small part of the equation.

Highlights give you a baseline of sorts. It lets you say, well, I know he can do this. It doesn't tell you how consistently he can do that, whether he physically can improve on that at the next level, whether he will put in the effort to improve at the next nevel, and so on. Even if the "want to" is there, some players just can't handle the pace of the game at the next level. You see this with college players transitioning to the NFL. They have the size and speed and strength to play in the NFL. Their work ethic is second to none. They just can not handle the speed of the game at that level.
I thought everyone was sarcastic about the Whitehurst stuff... No way anyone was taking the "build-up" on here seriously, right..?
Quote from: capehog on March 12, 2010...
My ex wife had a pet monkey I used to play with. That was one of the few things I liked about her

quote from: golf2day on June 19, 2014....
I'm disgusted, but kinda excited. Now I'm disgusted that I'm excited.

thebignasty

Quote from: OneTuskOverTheLine™ on March 18, 2018, 01:15:20 pm
I thought everyone was sarcastic about the Whitehurst stuff... No way anyone was taking the "build-up" on here seriously, right..?

Of course they were lol

bennyl08

Quote from: OneTuskOverTheLine™ on March 18, 2018, 01:15:20 pm

It's become a joke after the fact, but a lot of people genuinely thought he was going to be stud.

It's the same thing with Vinny Ascoles. It's become a joke now, but during the actual recruiting process, many posters were really high on him.
Quote from: PorkSoda on May 05, 2016, 09:24:05 pm
damn I thought it was only a color, didn't realize it was named after a liqueur. leave it to benny to make me research the history of chartreuse

Snout team

Not sure what happened with Rafe.  He was offered by everyone but was a hog fan at heart.

I really wish it would have worked out for him.

Makes you wonder what might have been if he would have played against tougher competition.
The scout team (snout team) is an important part of the team although it gets little credit.

1highhog

Quote from: twistitup on March 07, 2018, 10:41:26 am
Would he have a chance to start?

Listed by SMU at 6' 2" - 203lbs

True Dual Threat...

He was 4/4 w one TD last year. Good Accuracy

https://247sports.com/player/rafe-peavey-20555

No, he couldn't start for Morris at SMU so what makes you think he'd have a chance to start here?

twistitup

Quote from: 1highhog on March 18, 2018, 06:39:04 pm

No, he couldn't start for Morris at SMU so what makes you think he'd have a chance to start here?

Bolivar, MO.

He'd be close to home and would be able to bring in some of those sweet hometown females... Rafe  would be reaching his potential- no doubt about it. Dallas is a long ways from Bolivar.
How you gonna win when you ain't right within?

Here I am again mixing misery and gin....

IronHog

Quote from: twistitup on March 18, 2018, 11:37:54 am
Are we a 'high D1' football  program?

Yes

Peavy was a nice kid but played in the mountains

Just like the 7A west it's slow football up there
Iron sharpens iron, So one man sharpens another.

hog.goblin

Quote from: IronHog on March 19, 2018, 12:34:35 am

Yes

Peavy was a nice kid but played in the mountains

Just like the 7A west it's slow football up there

Apparently it's fast enough to win state championships

RebelliousHog

Quote from: twistitup on March 18, 2018, 01:00:56 pm
Is CK a 'high D1' QB?

Is anybody on our roster?

Don't know. Is he better than Rafe? Prolly. He stayed.
"Some there are who are nothing else than a passage for food and augmenters of excrement and fillers of privies, because through them no other things in the world, nor any good effects are produced, since nothing but full privies results from them."<br />―Leonardo da Vinci