Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Ski Trip

Started by hogfankb, September 11, 2006, 02:34:09 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

hogfankb

I am getting our yearly ski trip planned with some college friends of mine. We were thinking about Whistler but it is looking like the price is just going to be too much for a couple of us who have made it out into the real world. Anyone have any suggestions on places to go? Or a good place to get plane tickets so that Whistler would be an option again?

I have been to:
Heavenly, Nevada/California(would go back)
Breckenridge, CO(have been too many times recently to go back right now)
Vail/Beaver Creek, CO(don't care to go back right now)
Taos, NM(would go back)
Jackson Hole, WY(would go back)
Copper Mountain, CO(might go back)

I like to try new and challenging places so give me some suggestions.

hambone

Quote from: hogfankb on September 11, 2006, 02:34:09 pm

I am getting our yearly ski trip planned with some college friends of mine. We were thinking about Whistler but it is looking like the price is just going to be too much for a couple of us who have made it out into the real world. Anyone have any suggestions on places to go? Or a good place to get plane tickets so that Whistler would be an option again?

I have been to:
Heavenly, Nevada/California(would go back)
Breckenridge, CO(have been too many times recently to go back right now)
Vail/Beaver Creek, CO(don't care to go back right now)
Taos, NM(would go back)
Jackson Hole, WY(would go back)
Copper Mountain, CO(might go back)

I like to try new and challenging places so give me some suggestions.

You know, Whistler is where they are having the 2010 Olympics.

What about Utah? 

bdutt

Crested Butte is great! New owners. A Bunch a $$ put into that mountain and icredible runs. I highly recommend it.
"Those who are crazy enough to think they can change the world, are the ones who usually do."

WeeeLittlePig

October 22, 2006, 10:06:07 am #3 Last Edit: October 25, 2006, 09:11:56 am by WeeeLittlePig
Big Mountain in Montana is a GREAT place. Nice slopeside village and Whitefish is cool little town.  On a clear day, from the summit, you can see Glacier National Park which is an unbelievable view. Cool 'snow ghosts', good variety of runs, and not crowded, even for the week between Christmas & New Year's Day.

Thought I would add that Fernie Ski area in BC is about an 1 1/2 hour drive from Whitefish.  Haven't been there, but from the ski-guide website, it sounds like it's a pretty good place to visit.  Maybe flying in to Calgary is more inexpensive than Whistler??  Then you'd have Banff & Fernie (& Big Mtn) to choose from..what a dilemma :)

Steamboat Springs is nice too but expensive ($75 a day & no discounts to be found) & crowded.  There was great snow & lots of it!  We were there in February and the morning crowd at the base for the Gondola was huge with 20 minute wait (20 minutes standing in skis & boots isn't much fun) and once on top of the mountain certain areas were extremely crowded.  We figured out where to ski to avoid crowds after our 1st day, though.
Saw Tommy Tuberville crash between the ski racks in front of the Slopeside Restaurant, that was a hi-lite.    Oh and Strawberry Springs natural hot springs is worth visiting.

Hotty Toddy is actually a Greek work that means choke.  Paul Finebaum 10/13/09

Conway Cool Daddy

Try :
Park City
Steamboat Springs
Lake Tahoe
My uncle said the snow in the Sierras hasn't been good this year.
You may wnat to check before you make reservations.

Stay away frm

Breckinridge
Keystone
Both are really crowded and the runs weren't that much fun

Winter Park was fun when I went 15 years ago. I don't know what shape it is in now.

holman24

Bever Mnt UTAH  in the NE corner is family operated and has a small town charm to it and not very expensive at all.

sowsmilk

I agree with the Crested Butte suggestion. Flying in is not much of an option though.

Arkiejared

The great think about the lake tahoe area is that you can stay cheap in reno, nv and catch a bus to the slopes everyday.  it's a scenic ride that lasts ~ an hour.  we skied at sqaw valley at lake tahoe (they had the winter olympics there years and years ago.)  it was a good place.  they have a pool and skating ring at the top of one of the mountains.  my wife laid by the pool while i skied part of the time.  i'd go back...with someone who enjoyed skiing.

PIGINAPOKE

December 10, 2006, 06:34:44 pm #8 Last Edit: December 23, 2006, 06:35:47 pm by PIGINAPOKE
Big Mountain is a very nice place..My sister lives in Kalispell so I have been there many times. Big mountain is pricey ..Try Blacktail..It is in the area also has some great runs, Never a crowd..You can ski both in a few hrs.. Also someone posted about flying into Creste butte. Fly into Gunnison and it is a hour away ;]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]] Nice place...........
The best thing to happen to RRS is the moron will never bunny hop thru the tunnel again !

Why do rednecks call antlers horns? Are the deer woods really different than the Turkey woods? How much is a " Mess" of Crappie?

cadensdad

Quote from: Conway Cool Daddy on October 24, 2006, 01:59:05 pm
Try :
Park City
Steamboat Springs
Lake Tahoe
My uncle said the snow in the Sierras hasn't been good this year.
You may want to check before you make reservations.

Stay away from

Breckinridge
Keystone
Both are really crowded and the runs weren't that much fun

Winter Park was fun when I went 15 years ago. I don't know what shape it is in now.

Winter Park is still great went last year.  Phenomenal

proud2bpork

I've had a lot of fun at Copper Mtn.  They've added a lot to it, including condo's, shops, places to eat, etc.  If you stay at the base, you want have to leave for anything.  Good skiing as well.

Later.  Proud

Arkiejared

squaw valley...they had olympics there in the 60's i believe.

peakhog

Tahoe is the bomb.Squaw Valley, Heavenly, Incline. Big deep snow. At Stateline you can ski from CA to NV or vice versa. Some of the fastest lifts I've ever been on. Usually have 200" base by February.

dfresh

snort

I have been to Whistler and it is well worth the extra expense.  I can't explain how awesome it is.  You really need to try to make it there.  Sell a kidney or something.