Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

mississippi blues trip

Started by fool_on_the_hill, July 02, 2006, 10:37:14 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

fool_on_the_hill

July 02, 2006, 10:37:14 pm Last Edit: July 02, 2006, 10:42:23 pm by fool_on_the_hill
my son, "the guitarist"
wants to go to mississippi to where the blues began
and see certain sites

the crossroads where robert johnson sold his soul to the devil
muddy waters delta home
where the southern crosses the dog
robert johnsons graves....

u get the idea , if any one has any suggestion on things to see let me know

maniax22bolts20

July 02, 2006, 10:45:52 pm #1 Last Edit: July 02, 2006, 10:47:30 pm by maniax22bolts20

Jim Harris

Morgan Freeman's blues club, Ground Zero, is another two blocks from Madidi's, so go there too. Stays open all night. Some of the best blues guys around there show up on weekends and sit in.
"We've been trying to build a program on a 7-8 win per season business model .... We upgraded the Business Model." -- John Tyson

ladyhog

I grew up in the Mississippi Delta.  You should stay around Clarksdale.  There are several other places, but they are not as commercialized as Clarksdale and won't be as welcoming (safe). 

GroundZero is a safe place and will give you authentic blues, but you need to plan your trip around their calendar.  Last time I was in Clarksdale, there was a charity event going on and it was limited seating at $100/person. 

Travel down Hwy 1.  Clarksdale is really just the beginning of the delta.  If your son wants inspiration, go to the smaller towns like Rosedale, Louise, Hollandale and Anguilla.  Like I said, dont get too adventurous here at night. 

Take lots of mosquito spray. 

There is a large Blues festival around Hollandale every October after Cotton is harvested.  It is the Woodstock of Blues.  He'll see anyone he has ever wanted.