Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Restaurant recommendations for downton St. Louis

Started by Lando Calrissian, June 29, 2006, 01:49:11 am

Previous topic - Next topic

Lando Calrissian

I'm heading there this weekend.

Any suggestions for good (if not great) restaurants in the downtown area?

Quote from: Breems

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=haGfGkX-MbA&feature=youtube_gdata

Quote from: HawgBallLvrKentucky would be in the same position right now at #1 even with Pel as their HC.

Quote from: IronHogJohn Stockton wouldn't sniff today's NBA.

Quote from: jacksonpollackEvery time I look around in BWA I get dizzy. It is hard to judge the capacity. During the Auburn game I tried to count all the people in attendance but got lost at around 30,000.

Atreyu

There's a place called Silky's that has the best milkshakes I've ever had in my life. This was about 5 years ago though, so I have no idea if it's still around.
1 by 1, we loaded our guns
up on the mountain all day
and all through the night
HEYHEYHEY

Lando Calrissian

Quote from: Atreyu on June 29, 2006, 02:11:49 am
There's a place called Silky's that has the best milkshakes I've ever had in my life. This was about 5 years ago though, so I have no idea if it's still around.

I enjoy a good milkshake from time to time.

Was it located (roughly) in the downtown area?

Quote from: HawgBallLvrKentucky would be in the same position right now at #1 even with Pel as their HC.

Quote from: jacksonpollackEvery time I look around in BWA I get dizzy. It is hard to judge the capacity. During the Auburn game I tried to count all the people in attendance but got lost at around 30,000.

Atreyu

To be honest I have no idea.  I was staying with my uncle at the time. I can tell you that it's near a Steak and Shake though. Sorry.

Edit: actually I can remember it being in a suburban area, not downtown.
HEYHEYHEY

GrizzledHogFan

Well, according to what I found, Silky's Frozen Custard has four locations in the greater St. Louis area:

1. 12808 Olive Blvd, Creve Coeur, MO
2. 16043 Manchester Rd, Ellisville, MO
3. 3855 Mid Rivers Mall Dr, Saint Peters, MO
4. 15069 Manchester Rd, Manchester, MO
Do not let what you cannot do interfere with what you can do.

Atreyu

HEYHEYHEY

Lando Calrissian

Quote from: gmb_79 on June 29, 2006, 07:51:11 am
Well, according to what I found, Silky's Frozen Custard has four locations in the greater St. Louis area:

1. 12808 Olive Blvd, Creve Coeur, MO
2. 16043 Manchester Rd, Ellisville, MO
3. 3855 Mid Rivers Mall Dr, Saint Peters, MO
4. 15069 Manchester Rd, Manchester, MO

Now that I think about it, I believe there is one in Branson now, too.

HOG 50

The Soulard area (just north of the arch off the River) has a bunch of cafes/bars/restaurants that you can find whatever you want. 

Also in the Clayton area there are many nice places ($$$): Morton's (steak), Portabella (Mediterranean), and Cafe Napoli (Italian) are all very nice.

Atreyu

Quote from: HOG 50 on June 29, 2006, 08:08:14 am
The Soulard area (just north of the arch off the River) has a bunch of cafes/bars/restaurants that you can find whatever you want. 

Also in the Clayton area there are many nice places ($$$): Morton's (steak), Portabella (Mediterranean), and Cafe Napoli (Italian) are all very nice.

And to think I thought you only posted in Reith's Insights. I bet you've cleaned out your fair share of buffets, huh?

I can remember going to Barnhills in Jonesboro with my O Line and Linebackers, and watching them down 8-10 plates of food. Hoo, boy.

Back to St. Louis. I haven't been in so long...but I can remember this burger joint that served the biggest, fattest, juiciest hamburgers you'll ever eat. It was a little place. I don't even think it had it's own parking lot.
HEYHEYHEY

HOG 50

Quote from: Atreyu on June 29, 2006, 08:17:07 am
Quote from: HOG 50 on June 29, 2006, 08:08:14 am

And to think I thought you only posted in Reith's Insights. I bet you've cleaned out your fair share of buffets, huh?

I can remember going to Barnhills in Jonesboro with my O Line and Linebackers, and watching them down 8-10 plates of food. Hoo, boy.

Back to St. Louis. I haven't been in so long...but I can remember this burger joint that served the biggest, fattest, juiciest hamburgers you'll ever eat. It was a little place. I don't even think it had it's own parking lot.

I like to lurk around other forums given the time. . . Travel is something that I have done a little bit of and enjoy. 

Needless to say, I have been a part of groups that have been kicked out of buffets since high school - several posters on here can vouch for that.  I also know a guy that ate the 72 ounce 'Big Texan' in Amarillo in less than 30 minutes, and then asked if he could do it again (BTW - they wouldn't let him).  Now that I'm not practicing every day, the buffets are much different - otherwise I would be pushing 400 lbs more than I already am.

TuckFexas

The Station Grille is pretty good, located inside the Union Station Mall. I believe it's off of Market Street downtown. Dress nice, the waiters are in tuxedos and the food is a bit expensive. But it was excellent.
Famous quote.
Follow me on Twitter: www.twitter.com
Become my friend on Facebook: www.facebook.com
The post above may or may not accurately reflect the views of TuckFexas.
Yes, they let me out of the Tavern on a day pass.

WilsonHog

You also have Mike Shannon's and Charlie Gitto's downtown, just a couple of blocks from Busch.

Shannon's isn't quite what it used to be. At one time they served outstanding food, especially steaks, in a sports bar atmosphere. I had the pleasure of meeting Kenny Hatfield and Bob Gibson there one evening after a game. The last time I was there they had "upscaled" it. Same great food, but totally different atmosphere. And totally different prices.

If you like Italian food, go to Gitto's. Great food and an old-world atmosphere.

TuckFexas

I just hope I can catch some Cards players at Shannon's Wednesday July 12th, They should be back in town (the All-stars anyway) by then. Going to the Cards/Dodgers game on the 13th.
Famous quote.
Follow me on Twitter: www.twitter.com
Become my friend on Facebook: www.facebook.com
The post above may or may not accurately reflect the views of TuckFexas.
Yes, they let me out of the Tavern on a day pass.

Lando Calrissian

Thanks for the suggestions, fellas.

FYI - I'm going to the Cards/Royals game on Saturday.

HogCard

I have seen this Soulard area mentioned a lot.  Just north of the arch?  Is that what used to be Laclede's Landing or is it one in the same?

HOG 50

Quote from: HogCard on June 29, 2006, 12:41:50 pm
I have seen this Soulard area mentioned a lot.  Just north of the arch?  Is that what used to be Laclede's Landing or is it one in the same?

Same thing generally - Soulard is the name of the district that the Landing is part of. 

Lando Calrissian

Quote from: HOG 50 on June 29, 2006, 12:59:37 pm
Quote from: HogCard on June 29, 2006, 12:41:50 pm

Same thing generally - Soulard is the name of the district that the Landing is part of. 

Excellent. 

That's within walking distance of my hotel, too.

go hogues

Quote from: WilsonHog on June 29, 2006, 10:01:19 am
You also have Mike Shannon's and Charlie Gitto's downtown, just a couple of blocks from Busch.

Shannon's isn't quite what it used to be. At one time they served outstanding food, especially steaks, in a sports bar atmosphere. I had the pleasure of meeting Kenny Hatfield and Bob Gibson there one evening after a game. The last time I was there they had "upscaled" it. Same great food, but totally different atmosphere. And totally different prices.

If you like Italian food, go to Gitto's. Great food and an old-world atmosphere.
If you go there, you have to get their onion strings. Mike Shannon's is a GREAT restaurant. Also, not too far away (walking distance) there is Union Station, which at one point had good places to eat.  I havent been to STL in a while, so I don't know if it still does or not.
Quote from: Leadbelly on September 24, 2019, 09:05:22 pm<br />Dude, our back has been against the wall so long, we are now on the other side of the wall!<br />

UhOhioHog

Laclede's Landing is a fun area.  Lots of restaurants and bars.  Just be careful when you leave the bars, those cobblestone streets are tough on ankles!