Non Sports Forums > Travel & Vacation

Myrtle Beach

Pages: (1/1)

BR:

Going in June for 9 days... Never been there, driving down from NW Missouri to Nashville TN spending a day or 2 then over. 

McKdaddy:

Lots of quality golf for relatively low cost due to the many courses in the area.

Whiskeyhog:

--- Quote from: BR on May 11, 2016, 09:00:20 am ---Going in June for 9 days... Never been there, driving down from NW Missouri to Nashville TN spending a day or 2 then over.

--- End quote ---

I am heading there for 8 days.  My boy is playing in a tournament starting the 18th.  From my research a lot of good fishing in the area as well. 

Jackrabbit Hog:

I was there about eight years ago.  Nothing special about the town itself, or the beach for that matter, but there are probably more golf courses per square mile there than anywhere else in the country.  I got to play a couple of nice courses there; wish I could remember the names of them.

HogimusMaximus:

--- Quote from: Jackrabbit Hog on May 20, 2016, 09:28:47 am ---I was there about eight years ago.  Nothing special about the town itself, or the beach for that matter, but there are probably more golf courses per square mile there than anywhere else in the country.  I got to play a couple of nice courses there; wish I could remember the names of them.

--- End quote ---

Its better than Gulf Shores though.

TomasPistola:

--- Quote from: HogimusMaximus on May 22, 2016, 05:39:28 pm ---Its better than Gulf Shores though.

--- End quote ---

It's a little more touristy to me at Myrtle Beach. But I like both places.

Lanny:

Spend time in Charleston

sevenof400:

We ended up in North Myrtle Beach on our previous trip to that area - it definitely seemed less touristy that Myrtle Beach itself....

The beach area was very good when we were there too - little to no seaweed rolling in.  Long sandy beach shelfs going out in the surf. 

Lanny - what made (makes) Charleston such an attraction? 

OnTheHillHogFan:

--- Quote from: sevenof400 on June 03, 2016, 08:31:25 pm ---We ended up in North Myrtle Beach on our previous trip to that area - it definitely seemed less touristy that Myrtle Beach itself....

The beach area was very good when we were there too - little to no seaweed rolling in.  Long sandy beach shelfs going out in the surf. 

--- End quote ---
Stay in North Myrtle beach if you want to get away(as much as you can) from the crowds.

BR:

LOVED Golf Courses, Merrill's Inlet and North Myrtle Beach area.....     Myrtle Beach area is Branson on the Beach...   Liked Gulf Shores area a lot better..

cosmodrum:

--- Quote from: sevenof400 on June 03, 2016, 08:31:25 pm ---We ended up in North Myrtle Beach on our previous trip to that area - it definitely seemed less touristy that Myrtle Beach itself....

--- End quote ---

Not speaking for Lanny, and I've never been to Charleston, but I would imagine that history and culture (including food) are the big draws to Charleston.

sevenof400:

--- Quote from: cosmodrum on June 29, 2016, 11:57:22 am ---Not speaking for Lanny, and I've never been to Charleston, but I would imagine that history and culture (including food) are the big draws to Charleston.

--- End quote ---

I've heard that as well Cosmo.  At this point, Charleston (at least for me) is one of those places I'd be happy to visit as part of a further trip (sort of as a way point if you will) but perhaps on its own not quite enough of a destination to draw me there on its own merits.  I'll have to do some more reading on Charleston.

cosmodrum:

--- Quote from: sevenof400 on June 29, 2016, 12:04:04 pm ---I've heard that as well Cosmo.  At this point, Charleston (at least for me) is one of those places I'd be happy to visit as part of a further trip (sort of as a way point if you will) but perhaps on its own not quite enough of a destination to draw me there on its own merits.  I'll have to do some more reading on Charleston.

--- End quote ---

I would really love to visit Charleston. Very rich history. I would check out the Charleston wikipedia and their tourism site.

Jackrabbit Hog:

--- Quote from: cosmodrum on June 29, 2016, 12:17:12 pm ---I would really love to visit Charleston. Very rich history. I would check out the Charleston wikipedia and their tourism site.

--- End quote ---

Our youngest, who will be a senior at UA this fall, is dating a guy whose parents have a second home in Charleston (yes, they're well off; main residence is in Highland Park area of Dallas).  They've been there 4-5 times over the past year and she loves it.  Considering it's her, maybe the shopping is great there.   :D   But seriously, when he enters law school there next year I have no doubt she'll follow him there and it may be where they settle if they get married.

cosmodrum:

--- Quote from: Jackrabbit Hog on June 29, 2016, 12:24:57 pm ---Our youngest, who will be a senior at UA this fall, is dating a guy whose parents have a second home in Charleston (yes, they're well off; main residence is in Highland Park area of Dallas).  They've been there 4-5 times over the past year and she loves it.  Considering it's her, maybe the shopping is great there.   :D   But seriously, when he enters law school there next year I have no doubt she'll follow him there and it may be where they settle if they get married.

--- End quote ---

Well, if it doesn't work out with this fella, I'd like his number.

ricepig:

--- Quote from: Jackrabbit Hog on June 29, 2016, 12:24:57 pm ---Our youngest, who will be a senior at UA this fall, is dating a guy whose parents have a second home in Charleston (yes, they're well off; main residence is in Highland Park area of Dallas).  They've been there 4-5 times over the past year and she loves it.  Considering it's her, maybe the shopping is great there.   :D   But seriously, when he enters law school there next year I have no doubt she'll follow him there and it may be where they settle if they get married.

--- End quote ---

My oldest when he was a freshman went down to the aTm game with some of his pledge brothers, they lived in HP. He told me when I saw him at the game, "Dad, their yard looks like the country club, only better". I told him to study hard, if not, marry well!

Jackrabbit Hog:

--- Quote from: ricepig on June 29, 2016, 01:03:19 pm ---My oldest when he was a freshman went down to the aTm game with some of his pledge brothers, they lived in HP. He told me when I saw him at the game, "Dad, their yard looks like the country club, only better". I told him to study hard, if not, marry well!

--- End quote ---

Wiser words were never spoken.

God bless that boy if he marries her.  (and.....God help him.)

Großer Kriegschwein:

I used to live in Myrtle. The beach was WAY too touristy for me, but I went there for the women. I got into the Bowery, Mother Fletcher's and Studebaker's for free (I DJ'd in Conway at a local-only club and there were family perks for me at the Alabama Theater at Barefoot Landing).

North Myrtle was always more relaxed. If they'd have figured out a way to move Sloppy Joe's and Peach's Corner up to Ocean Drive, I'd move there after I retire. It had als turned into the strip club area in the Kings Highway area (not that I much care about that).

Pawley's Island is where you wanna go to catch blue crab if you can find a spot. Mickey Spillane used to live there and let my mother and brother pull in crabs off his pier while she was pregnant with me.

Yes, I was born there, before there was a hospital in MB, so it was the old Conway hospital.

PharmacistHog:

--- Quote from: cosmodrum on June 29, 2016, 12:32:53 pm ---Well, if it doesn't work out with this fella, I'd like his number.

--- End quote ---

Hahaha!  I was gonna say I might be a little sweet on him myself.

Pages: (1/1)

Go to full version