Non Sports Forums > Travel & Vacation

Longest Flights

Pages: (1/2) > >>

Blutoblutarsky:

Sitting here about to board a flight from OHare to South Korea, 14 hours of fun. Was curious if anyone has been on something similar or longer in the air without connecting.

ricepig:


--- Quote from: Blutoblutarsky on May 12, 2015, 11:11:17 am ---Sitting here about to board a flight from OHare to South Korea, 14 hours of fun. Was curious if anyone has been on something similar or longer in the air without connecting.

--- End quote ---

The longest I've ever been on is Atlanta to Honolulu. My oldest was suppose to fly from Dallas to Shanghai, 15 1/2 hours, but bad weather kept them in XNA on Sunday. Instead, the went from Dallas to London, and from London to Shanghai, lol. He texted me at 6am this morning our time saying they were boarding in London. I'll have to check with him on the length. He had originally stayed up all Saturday night, just graduated, and had planned on sleeping to Shanghai. I have no idea how he worked it out this time, haha.

pigture perfect:

I was on a flight from Johannesburg SA to Atlanta. 17 hours. At 6'4 and 300 pounds, my legs still hurt. I do it again in 2 weeks.

Grizzlyfan:

Anywhere to Hawaii is a long flight.  Ours was from Dallas.  But flying West is awesome.

Hogfly:

Flew to Sydney from LA. It's a looooong flight (14 hours, I believe). I think I got drunk, slept it off, woke up and got drunk again.



ricepig:


--- Quote from: Hogfly on May 13, 2015, 12:05:44 pm ---Flew to Sydney from LA. It's a looooong flight (14 hours, I believe). I think I got drunk, slept it off, woke up and got drunk again.



--- End quote ---

Well, got a text from my son, it was 10hrs from Dallas to London, switch planes, and another 11 to Shanghai.

HawgWild:

My sister used to fly for Wal-Mart. They were prevented from flying more than 8 hours a day. When they had a flight to China, she'd take a commercial flight up to Alaska to meet the plane where they'd switch crews to fly on to China.

Flying Razorback:

I have flown myself from Newfoundland to Germany which was about 9.5 hours.  And I have flown myself from Greece to Qatar which is about 10 hours going the long way through Egypt and Saudi. I have been on a plane for about 20 hours but with 3 stops going from Qatar back to Little Rock stopping in Kuwait, Germany, and Baltimore along the way.

But I have never been on a plane without stopping for as long as some of you guys.  I'm not a real big dude and that still doesn't sound that fun.

Richard_white:

I fly to Asia just about every other month for work and that is the longest flight I had. 

LSUFan:

ATL to Dubai, we had a hell of a headwind, so said the dude driving, was 18 hours. Had to do it twice, obviously.

Ambien was my friend.

Flying Razorback:


--- Quote from: LSUFan on May 13, 2015, 06:58:28 pm ---ATL to Dubai, we had a hell of a headwind, so said the dude driving, was 18 hours. Had to do it twice, obviously.

Ambien was my friend.

--- End quote ---


Ha, I knew guys that took ambien or restorol before one of those flights and then had to deplane because of a mechanical issue.  They had to be carried off the plane.  Timing it is important!  I knew another guy that popped one right after we got wheels up out of Qatar.  He thought he was smart.  What he didn't realize is we were stopping in Kuwait in 40 minutes and deplaning for 3 hours while they refueled and loaded more guys.  We had to walk arm in arm with him to get him on the plane.

LSUFan:


--- Quote from: Flying Razorback on May 13, 2015, 07:42:57 pm ---
Ha, I knew guys that took ambien or restorol before one of those flights and then had to deplane because of a mechanical issue.  They had to be carried off the plane.  Timing it is important!  I knew another guy that popped one right after we got wheels up out of Qatar.  He thought he was smart.  What he didn't realize is we were stopping in Kuwait in 40 minutes and deplaning for 3 hours while they refueled and loaded more guys.  We had to walk arm in arm with him to get him on the plane.

--- End quote ---
That stuff is bad!

Jackrabbit Hog:

Flown twice from LAX to Tahiti (round trips each).  It's about 8 hours and the flights on Air Tahiti are generally middle of the night so you can sleep through it.  But every single mile of it is over ocean.

husker71:

I fly from Atl or Xna to Manila often and the Atl to Japan leg is 14 hours   Brutal if the movies are not working on the back of the seat in front which happened to me   

GolfNut57:

I am SHOCKED! All these stories of long flights and not one single mention of mile high clubs being joined.  ;)

john c:

New York to Capetown was 16-18 hrs.  I had aisle seat, 6' 7" guy with me was assigned middle.  I switched with him or he would have been really miserable.  I got up every hour and walked the aisles - still miserable for both of us.   

JIMMY BOARFFETT:

On a trip to Africa took 18 hours flight time.  We landed on Cape Verde but didn't deplane.  They refueled, emptied the trash and pumped the crapper with everyone still on the plane.  I still haven't figured out what that was about.

Boarcephus:

I guess the longest flight we've had is from Houston to Hawaii and that was miserable.  We've reached the point we hate to fly.  I guess if you've got the cash and you can pony your way up to fly first class it'd be another deal but that $1000-2000 buys a lot of stuff once you land.  They've reduced the size of the seats to the point we've eliminated some places we thought we might like to visit due to the length of the flight.  We took the same flight JackRabbit Hog took and that was a miserable flight.

Jackrabbit Hog:


--- Quote from: JIMMY BOARFFETT on May 20, 2015, 07:53:47 pm ---On a trip to Africa took 18 hours flight time.  We landed on Cape Verde but didn't deplane.  They refueled, emptied the trash and pumped the crapper with everyone still on the plane.  I still haven't figured out what that was about.

--- End quote ---

Pretty obvious that Cape Verde was short on crap at the time.  I guess it was a humanitarian flight.

JIMMY BOARFFETT:


--- Quote from: Jackrabbit Hog link=topic=592810.msg9711509#msg97115By[quote author=Jackrabbit Hog on May 21, 2015, 12:14:12 pm ---Pretty obvious that Cape Verde was short on crap at the time.  I guess it was a humanitarian flight.

--- End quote ---

If I had known that, I might coulda wrote my donation off on my taxes.

Razorback7281:

Just booked this one.  Have been to Australia a couple times but connected in LA.  This is the first time I've been since Quanta started flying out of DFW. 

 
"Dallas to Sydney on Qantas is 8578 miles and 17 hours


All hail this mega Qantas route, trouncing its closest competitor to the top spot here with an eye-popping, milometer-defying 8,578-mile length. And like the two cities it's connecting, the route itself has no room for half measures it seems, with the Australian airline recently pledging to use its gargantuan Airbus A380s for the flight. That means more leg room, bigger cabins, more seats and better in-flight facilities, which are certainly welcome when it's going to take almost 17 hours before arrival!"

http://www.hopper.com/articles/1049/the-worlds-20-longest-non-stop-flights

pigture perfect:

If they are going to use the A-380, it will not give you more leg room than the Boeing 777 or 747. I really dread Airbus seats as well. There is no way those can be used as floatations devices. They are thin and hard as concrete. At least in Coach.

Razorback7281:


--- Quote from: pigture perfect on July 28, 2015, 04:06:46 pm ---If they are going to use the A-380, it will not give you more leg room than the Boeing 777 or 747. I really dread Airbus seats as well. There is no way those can be used as floatations devices. They are thin and hard as concrete. At least in Coach.

--- End quote ---
When they first started the route the used a 777 then a 747.  When DFW added the ability to handle the A380 they started using it for the route.

SA Hog Fan:

I've flown transcontinental multiple time but the longest flight ever was a recent DC to Denver flight in the middle seat on frontier airlines.  A lawn chair would have been more comfortable. I almost fired my secretary over that.

RoaminHawg:

I lived in China 3+ years! OHare to Hong Kong was a long flight and swore when we got home, I would not do that again! Now we are moving to Johannesburg, South Africa! This Atlanta to Johannesburg flight is longer! Not a bad flight in First/Business, but a lot longer flight in Coach!

husker71:

I just looked at 1st class tickets from XNA to Manila     $9176 roundtrip     normal coach is about $1100     that's steep for upgrade 14 hour flight     and out of my price range

OnTheHillHogFan:


--- Quote from: husker71 on August 02, 2015, 11:50:07 am ---I just looked at 1st class tickets from XNA to Manila     $9176 roundtrip     normal coach is about $1100     that's steep for upgrade 14 hour flight     and out of my price range

--- End quote ---
Wow. I'll suck it up and sit in coach for 8k

theFlyingHog:

My longest was DFW-NRT. 13.5 hours gate to gate. I worked for AA then so got first class for my father and I for $850 total, round trip.

Boardon Hamsay:


--- Quote from: Razorback7281 on July 27, 2015, 02:07:07 pm ---Just booked this one.  Have been to Australia a couple times but connected in LA.  This is the first time I've been since Quanta started flying out of DFW. 

 
"Dallas to Sydney on Qantas is 8578 miles and 17 hours


All hail this mega Qantas route, trouncing its closest competitor to the top spot here with an eye-popping, milometer-defying 8,578-mile length. And like the two cities it's connecting, the route itself has no room for half measures it seems, with the Australian airline recently pledging to use its gargantuan Airbus A380s for the flight. That means more leg room, bigger cabins, more seats and better in-flight facilities, which are certainly welcome when it's going to take almost 17 hours before arrival!"

http://www.hopper.com/articles/1049/the-worlds-20-longest-non-stop-flights

--- End quote ---

Flew this one as well last Aug/Sept when the equipment was a 747. DFW to Brisbane on the way out and SYD to DFW on the way back. Was the #6 and #1 ranked mileage flights commercially offered at the time. Qantas changed to an A380 a couple weeks after my trip (mid Sept 2014) but 16 hours on the way out and a touch under 17 on the way back home. I've also done the LAX to SYD and SYD to LAX runs on Delta and those were 14-15 hours.

I didn't mind those long flights personally cause there was plenty of entertainment options on the plane in between naps and stretching. Definitely nice to have an aisle seat and if you don't like flying, get some melatonin, ambien, liquor, or whatever will knock you out for a good chunk of the flight.


pigture perfect:

At my size, I can tell you that the Airbus 380 gives you less leg room than the 777. I hate Airbus on long flights. Seats have no cushion either.

ErieHog:

Chicago to Hong Kong is the longest I've been on;  I thought that flight would never end-- felt like 2 days, between time zone changes, but it wasn't.    I didn't have a clue what day it was, when I arrived.   Took two days before I felt like I was well enough to feel jet lagged.

Wildhog:

For my honeymoon, we went from Little Rock to Dallas to Los Angeles to Papeete, Tahiti.

That was a long day.

Jackrabbit Hog:


--- Quote from: Wildhog on September 04, 2015, 11:16:21 am ---For my honeymoon, we went from Little Rock to Dallas to Los Angeles to Papeete, Tahiti.

That was a long day.

--- End quote ---

For your sake, hope it was an even longer night..

Boarcephus:

The cramped seating has taken the joy out of flying for us and has a big bearing on the trips we won't take.  Houston to Hawaii is about as long as we've  taken and it was 10-12 hours of misery.  The only time in my life I wished I were 5 feet tall and 100 pounds.  If you had the wherewithal and wanted to spend the $$$ to upgrade to first class that would make the trip much more enjoyable but that $$$ buys an awful lot of stuff once you land. 

vandybuff:

DFW to Sydney is perhaps the longest.  A close second is Atlanta to Johannesburg S. A.  Both are not bad, but there is a bit of jet lag for this old guy.

Albert Einswine:

Y'all have taken some seriously long flights. Longest one I've ever been on was 7 hours from KI Sawyer AFB, Michigan to Eielson AFB, Alaska in a C-141 in the incredible comfort of web seats in a cargo hold. Wasn't too bad really, plenty of leg room and freedom to move about the plane, haha.

RoaminHawg:

I am heading back to NW Arkansas from Johannesburg on Friday! Back in time to be calling the Hogs inside the stadium when we crush Texas Tech! Go Hogs! :razorback:


oldhawg:

Frankfurt to San Francisco.

Toronto to Tokyo

Johannisberg to Frankfurt, around the Horn.  At the time the South African Airlines I was on could not fly over parts of Africa ---- a very long flight, about 14 hours as I recall.

lechon:

DFW to Hong Kong 17hrs non stop. It's the polar route, you head to Northern Alaska then dive south thru Siberia, Tibet then China. Boeing 777 used nowadays, the 747 was much smoother and less stress. 4 big engines instead of 2 while flying over the frozen north without an airport in sight was easier on the nerves.........

go hogues:

I've done DFW-SYD, JoBurg-ATL, Doha-DFW. All of those are right at 17 hours. Another crazy routing I did one time was on a trip to Papua New Guinea. Did Continental's LIT-IAH-HNL-Guam-Cairns flight all back to back. That one was tough.
I actually don't mind the long hauls that originate or terminate in the US. Would rather do that than layovers in Europe.

If you ever have a long layover in Doha, I highly recommend the airport hotel. You are already behind security, so you just wake up a half hour before boarding and cruise to your gate. Super nice and that airport is insanely opulent.

h0gfan6:

I've done a couple of 10+ hour flights, but none of the 15+ hour monsters.  In my travels I've had to get accustomed to flying in ATR 42's and Dash 8's to places the Boeing's and Airbuses won't fly (and sometimes even the Ilyushins and Tupolevs), enough so to finally convince myself that they're not going to fall out of the sky. 

I really came to this thread to post this image, which I found on Reddit - the longest domestic flights (note, domestic).  The sun never sets on the...French empire?



bplease:

On the topic of flights, does anyone have any experience with WOW airlines?

Jackrabbit Hog:

I flew from Detroit to Memphis in a crowded commuter plane with several infants and toddlers in the cabin this weekend.  I'll swear it was a longer flight than any of the ones anybody else has mentioned..

Hawgitall:

Have done DFW to Tokyo in 777 and Chicago to Tokyo in 747.  About 13.5 hours either one. 777 was more comfortable than the cramming they did on the 747.  On the return leg, an Asian lady next to me made the 747 seat look like a Lazy-Boy.  I was jealous!!!!!

onebadrubi:

Dfw to Tokyo for me.  Took a customer over there for work.  He was able to sleep the entire way so I read a book.  Learned on the flight home international flights the beer was free, got drunk and passed out. Woke up somewhere over the Rockies.  Landed at Dfw at like 9:30 am, found the chilis and started drinking again.

Inhogswetrust:


--- Quote from: onebadrubi on March 14, 2016, 06:43:57 am ---Dfw to Tokyo for me.  Took a customer over there for work.  He was able to sleep the entire way so I read a book.  Learned on the flight home international flights the beer was free, got drunk and passed out. Woke up somewhere over the Rockies.  Landed at Dfw at like 9:30 am, found the chilis and started drinking again.

--- End quote ---

Same here. That is one long flight! Then we had to transfer the same day to another airport there to fly to Sakata.

Hogberry Snortcake:


--- Quote from: onebadrubi on March 14, 2016, 06:43:57 am ---Dfw to Tokyo for me.  Took a customer over there for work.  He was able to sleep the entire way so I read a book.  Learned on the flight home international flights the beer was free, got drunk and passed out. Woke up somewhere over the Rockies.  Landed at Dfw at like 9:30 am, found the chilis and started drinking again.

--- End quote ---

Doing JFK to Tokyo in a couple weeks.  Then 6 hours from Tokyo to Hanoi.  That should be fun. 

oldhawg:

Dubai to Dallas a couple weeks ago.  16 hours.

majestic:

I sat middle row between two 350+ lb. dudes from Dallas to XNA once. That was a long flight.


ricepig:


--- Quote from: majestic on May 27, 2016, 02:41:58 pm ---I sat middle row between two 350+ lb. dudes from Dallas to XNA once. That was a long flight.


--- End quote ---

Yeah, you should have moved, it was uncomfortable for me.

Pages: (1/2) > >>

Go to full version