Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Lovely Little Rock and Memphis

Started by HognotinMemphis, December 16, 2006, 12:05:22 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

HognotinMemphis

December 16, 2006, 12:05:22 pm Last Edit: December 16, 2006, 12:07:43 pm by HoginMemphis
http://www.commercialappeal.com/mca/health_and_fitness/article/0,1426,MCA_522_5217824,00.html

From an article in today's Commercial Appeal about Memphis being the city with the most overweight men among larger cities, this info stands out:

"Memphis,...is once again the unhealthiest big city in the nation for men, according to Men's Health magazine."

"The magazine crunched numbers in 24 categories from rates of heart disease and strokes to lifestyle factors including crime rates and daily commutes to rank Memphis dead last."

"Individual statistics were not available Friday in all categories, but Megan Montenaro, a spokesman for Men's Health, said Memphis' high crime rate was one of many factors in the overall ranking. Memphis had the fourth-highest crime rate, behind No. 1 St. Louis, No. 2 Little Rock and No. 3 Jersey City, N.J."

Wow. Who knew LR had worse per capita crime rate than Memphis?!?!

More:  "The survey ranked San Jose, Calif., as the healthiest city. Among Mid-South cities included in the rankings, Jackson, Miss., also fared poorly, coming in 83rd out of 100. Nashville was 87th, and Little Rock came in 91st, only slightly better than Memphis."

Read the entire article at the link above.
I don't want you to agree with me because you're weak. I want you to agree with me because you know I'm right.

imahoggie

Arkansan by birth. Razorback fan by the grace of god.

whatsshakinbacon

imahoggie

thanks. ill be here all week.
try the veal and dont forget to tip your servers.
Arkansan by birth. Razorback fan by the grace of god.

Torqued pork

December 16, 2006, 12:38:41 pm #4 Last Edit: December 16, 2006, 12:40:42 pm by Bubbaswinestein
Who needs a low crime rate and healthy citizens when you've got The Big Dam Bridge and the hallowed ground of WMS?

lookinupthehill

Quote from: HoginMemphis on December 16, 2006, 12:05:22 pm

LR's been ranked at the top of national crime cities for a looong time.  I don't get to spend much time in LR, but the wife and I are from NE Ark so we are pretty fond of Memphis.  

jared2456

http://www.commercialappeal.com/mca/health_and_fitness/article/0,1426,MCA_522_5217824,00.html

I did.  I lived in the LR area for 17 years and now have lived in Fayetteville for 8 years.  I would never move back to that dump and deal w/ all the crime, big-city problems without the benefits of living in a big city, etc.

PS move all games to Fayetteville

HognotinMemphis

Quote from: jared2456 on December 16, 2006, 01:05:57 pm

I did.  I lived in the LR area for 17 years and now have lived in Fayetteville for 8 years.  I would never move back to that dump and deal w/ all the crime, big-city problems without the benefits of living in a big city, etc.

PS move all games to Fayetteville

Steve Jackson would argue with you about living in Memphis vs. living in LR. Hahahaha.
I don't want you to agree with me because you're weak. I want you to agree with me because you know I'm right.

hoghearted

Quote from: Bubbaswinestein on December 16, 2006, 12:38:41 pm
Who needs a low crime rate and healthy citizens when you've got The Big Dam Bridge and the hallowed ground of WMS?
Don't forget Bubba's big ugly trailer/museum!
It really is this simple. Unchecked government power leads to corruption, and lack of accountability for it is drastically eroding confidence in our institutions.    aristotle

WestMemphisHogFan

Interesting stuff HiM.  I'm glad that I live across the bridge from Memphis.  It's a little healthier over here in West Memphis. ;D

Pork Salad Annie

And they still have time to police ticket scalpers outside the lovely War Memorial Stadium?

Dwight_K_Shrute

LR-Memphis-Jackson.  Have someone blindfold you.  Drive you to the middle or a neighborhood in the middle of anyone of these cities and try to tell them apart.

I would rank Memphis ahead of the other based soley on the quality and quantity of gentlemen's clubs compared to the other two.  Other than that not much difference.
Little known fact, but prior to settling on Guantanamo, the Pentagon wanted to house terror suspects at War Memorial Stadium.  It was deemed to be cruel and unusual punishment and in violation of the Geneva Convention.

Red Tusk

Whats this thread doing in MMQB?? Is there a lifestyle page?
If you can accept losing, you can't win.-Vince Lombardi

'Why don't they make the whole plane out of that black box stuff.'-Steven Wright

e_dub

Piss on you people that are bashing my city.  If you had a real job where you could afford to live in WLR instead of the ghetto, you wouldn't have to deal with the crime. ;)

Rsvlhog

These sort of things are good to know. About ten years ago I read an article that said 90% of all fatal car crashes happen within five miles from your house. So I sold my house and moved to the other side of town. ;)
Quote from: threeNout

I still have images of JFB, holding a shotgun behind Altman, ala Deliverance,

"Go on boy, you call them Hogs, you call 'em good"

whatsshakinbacon

Quote from: Rsvlhog on December 16, 2006, 10:40:13 pm
These sort of things are good to know. About ten years ago I read an article that said 90% of all fatal car crashes happen within five miles from your house. So I sold my house and moved to the other side of town. ;)

I park my car five miles away.

Bacon out...

HognotinMemphis

Quote from: Red Tusk on December 16, 2006, 10:23:08 pm
Whats this thread doing in MMQB?? Is there a lifestyle page?

You wasted one of your 73 posts on being a forum cop?

fleer51

well, i have lived in LR for 8 years, Fayettville for 5 years and Memphis for 3 years.

LR wins hands down.  i love being 12 minutes from my job (on a bad day) and there is just a whole lot to do here.  i have never experienced any crime here and i live next to WMS.  also helps that most of my family is within an hour.

Fayetteville is 2nd because it is actually a lot of fun, very nice place, but the unbelievable traffic kills it for me.

Memphis...  well, i liked Memphis too, but the crime is not contained to certain areas there like it is in LR.  you HAVE to go through a bad area or two to get anywhere else.  and when you drive and have a flat tire, i can tell you that it sucks.

HognotinMemphis

Quote from: fleer51 on December 17, 2006, 12:24:55 am
well, i have lived in LR for 8 years, Fayettville for 5 years and Memphis for 3 years.

LR wins hands down.  i love being 12 minutes from my job (on a bad day) and there is just a whole lot to do here.  i have never experienced any crime here and i live next to WMS.  also helps that most of my family is within an hour.

Fayetteville is 2nd because it is actually a lot of fun, very nice place, but the unbelievable traffic kills it for me.

Memphis...  well, i liked Memphis too, but the crime is not contained to certain areas there like it is in LR.  you HAVE to go through a bad area or two to get anywhere else.  and when you drive and have a flat tire, i can tell you that it sucks.

I've never lived in LR as an adult...4 yrs of college life in Fayetteville and been in Memphis since then...22 years now. I'm 10 min from work, 5 min from Racquet Club, 5 min from Germantown. Lot to do here too...more than in LR. You are correct about the neighborhoods not laid out as well here...you have to go through ghettos sometimes to get where you want to go. Memphis is a lot more enjoyable if you live within the loop or at least just outside of it. But, many can't afford to live in that area and so they live out a bit and makes commutes necessary.

WindyCityHog

I like to visit both cities....and then leave.....for the big city of Chicago :P.

You want crime and corruption?  Chicago is a good city to visit....but then leave.

HasidicHog

I would rank Memphis ahead of the other based soley on the quality and quantity of gentlemen's clubs compared to the other two.  Other than that not much difference.

Not after

HasidicHog

Was suppose to be . . . not after Operation Last Call.  Shut down Platnum Plus and others.

DeltaBoy

I lived in LR from 1986-1991 (College) I have been going to Memphis since I could drive.  I rank Memphis ahead of LR because of all the fine BBQ places to eat in Memphis.  Corkies, Jim Neely's Interstate BBQ, etc.   LR had Jr's but after the ownership changed it went downhill. Now Say Macintosh's family has some good Mustard based BBQ but it is in a tough Neighborhood in LR.
If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.
-- Major General Patrick Cleburne
The Confederacy had no better soldiers
than the Arkansans--fearless, brave, and oftentimes courageous beyond
prudence. Dickart History of Kershaws Brigade.

pigture perfect

Quote from: DeltaBoy on March 29, 2007, 10:02:40 am
I lived in LR from 1986-1991 (College) I have been going to Memphis since I could drive.  I rank Memphis ahead of LR because of all the fine BBQ places to eat in Memphis.  Corkies, Jim Neely's Interstate BBQ, etc.   LR had Jr's but after the ownership changed it went downhill. Now Say Macintosh's family has some good Mustard based BBQ but it is in a tough Neighborhood in LR.
You are right about the Bar BQ. I only love Memphis in May. After that you can have her.
The 2 biggest fools in the world: He who has an answer for everything and he who argues with him.  - original.<br /> <br />The first thing I'm going to ask a lawyer (when I might need one) is, "You don't post on Hogville do you?"

HognotinMemphis

I lived in LR from 1986-1991 (College) I have been going to Memphis since I could drive.  I rank Memphis ahead of LR because of all the fine BBQ places to eat in Memphis.  Corkies, Jim Neely's Interstate BBQ, etc.   LR had Jr's but after the ownership changed it went downhill. Now Say Macintosh's family has some good Mustard based BBQ but it is in a tough Neighborhood in LR.

JR's didn't have an ownership change. The only thing they did was get rid of JR. He was never there and being paid for it. I know this because my father was majority owner of JR's from the get-go. They continued cooking the meat the same way, using the same sauces, marinades, etc. It was the best BBQ I've ever had. What shut them down was Corky's opening on Rodney Parham. Corky's was/is inferior BBQ but their marketing prowess and power is substantial and it got JR's eventually.

DeltaBoy

Quote from: MarkinMemphis on March 30, 2007, 11:03:31 am

JR's didn't have an ownership change. The only thing they did was get rid of JR. He was never there and being paid for it. I know this because my father was majority owner of JR's from the get-go. They continued cooking the meat the same way, using the same sauces, marinades, etc. It was the best BBQ I've ever had. What shut them down was Corky's opening on Rodney Parham. Corky's was/is inferior BBQ but their marketing prowess and power is substantial and it got JR's eventually.

I always thought the atmosphere went down after JR left.  Those Drop Biscuts and Honey was great!
If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.

DCHawg

JR's was great...I think those were the first "dry" ribs i had ever eaten as a kid.  I do remember the fried biscuits and honey, delicious.  Corky's is the most overhyped, disappointing Q I've ever experienced.  My folks always favored JR's.  Always. 

I don't think I've ever paid for Corky's...only had it at functions where the catering was out of my control.  These days, Whole Hog has the best in LR and Interstate is the best in Memphis.

SpareRib

Lived in LR for 20 years but grew up in Memphis.  Interstate is the best in Memphis.  JR's was the king pin in LR.  Mark, you are right - what Corky's has is marketing muscle.  The Q ain't up to grade.
I'll fish 'til the money's gone ... then I'll fish for food!<br /><br />My heritage - Dutch/Polish/German on one side, English/Welsh on the other.  I'm a mutt, not a show dog.  Proud to be an American!

HognotinMemphis

Quote from: DeltaBoy on April 03, 2007, 10:12:58 am

I always thought the atmosphere went down after JR left.  Those Drop Biscuts and Honey was great!

Well, I'm not sure how that happened since JR didn't spend much time there to begin with, which is why JR was fired/bought out by my father and his partner.

On top of that, JR had about oh, 1/5 the intelligence and prior success that my father had. But that's another story.

DeltaBoy

I miss JR's and I only eat Corkies at the one just past White Station in Memphis.
If your in the Delta on Hwy 49 look for Shaddens Grocery just outside Marvell Ar. Wayne has got some real good Pork BBQ Sandwich's! I love Wayne's so much that I had Wayne cater my Rehearsal Dinner when I got married 12 years ago.  All these Texans loved it!

HognotinMemphis

Quote from: DeltaBoy on April 04, 2007, 11:31:01 am
I miss JR's and I only eat Corkies at the one just past White Station in Memphis.
If your in the Delta on Hwy 49 look for Shaddens Grocery just outside Marvell Ar. Wayne has got some real good Pork BBQ Sandwich's! I love Wayne's so much that I had Wayne cater my Rehearsal Dinner when I got married 12 years ago.  All these Texans loved it!
Next time you are in Memphis, try Three Little Pigs on Quince, just east of White Station/Quince intersection. Quince Rd. is south of Poplar, south of Park Ave, parallel to both Poplar and Park. All 3 streets are east/west streets. Its pork sandwiches are superior to Corky's.

DeltaBoy

Quote from: MarkinMemphis on April 09, 2007, 08:07:31 am
Next time you are in Memphis, try Three Little Pigs on Quince, just east of White Station/Quince intersection. Quince Rd. is south of Poplar, south of Park Ave, parallel to both Poplar and Park. All 3 streets are east/west streets. Its pork sandwiches are superior to Corky's.

Thanks for the Info. I am really tempted just to keep going back to Mr. Jim's place.  It was shore enough good!

SpareRib

Some of the best I've ever eaten was at proprietary shops in small southern towns.  There are some real jewels out there.
I'll fish 'til the money's gone ... then I'll fish for food!<br /><br />My heritage - Dutch/Polish/German on one side, English/Welsh on the other.  I'm a mutt, not a show dog.  Proud to be an American!

SpareRib

Quote from: DeltaBoy on April 12, 2007, 11:41:52 am

Thanks for the Info. I am really tempted just to keep going back to Mr. Jim's place.  It was shore enough good!

Did this one used to be a Top's?   I'll try it.  By the way, Top's varies from shop to shop, but the one in by Methodist Central is pretty darned good.  The sauce reminds me of what we had when I was a kid.

HognotinMemphis

Quote from: Porkaholic on April 12, 2007, 01:27:04 pm
Quote from: DeltaBoy on April 12, 2007, 11:41:52 am

Did this one used to be a Top's?   I'll try it.  By the way, Top's varies from shop to shop, but the one in by Methodist Central is pretty darned good.  The sauce reminds me of what we had when I was a kid.

No. It's always been Three Little Pigs...been there at least as long as I've been in Memphis - since 1984.

HognotinMemphis

Quote from: whatsshakinbacon on April 12, 2007, 10:54:01 pm
MIM - which area Memphis McDonalds has the best McRibs?

Bacon out...

The one in Orange Mound, just off Southern Ave. Check it out next time you're here.

DeltaBoy

Quote from: whatsshakinbacon on April 12, 2007, 10:54:01 pm
MIM - which area Memphis McDonalds has the best McRibs?

Bacon out...

That is sacrilegious to even mention when talking about eating in Memphis.