Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

oregon state

Started by Kevin, October 09, 2017, 02:02:45 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Ironhawg

Quote from: longpig on October 09, 2017, 02:44:05 pm
You may be onto something.

This is a strange deal for sure.  He's only in his third year there.  While their record hasn't been great, he has a pretty good reputation as a coach.

judgeroyswine

Quote from: Dwight_K_Shrute on October 09, 2017, 02:39:06 pm
Exactly, no way I think he will or even expect him to walk away, but could see a negotiated settlement especially if it goes totally to hell and we finish with 3 or 4 wins.

If?

You are remarkably positive, my friend.
Overcoming the gloom, despair, and agony of Hog fandom since 1961.

Redhogs

Quote from: phadedhawg on October 09, 2017, 02:39:21 pm
Would be nice if Bert took the same road.  Odds are Bert is only gonna win 3 games this year, it would be hard to ask for a 15 million check after posting a record such as that.  If Bert got us to a bowl (impossible but let's say he did) I could see him wanting his money. 

So if Jeff Long gets rid of Bert without having to have a yard sale to raise cash, does that take the heat off of him?   If the buyout ceases to be a club for Bubba to hit him with, will the yankee hatred still demand a change in the BAC?
They are both dug in like ticks now...Bert even more so judging from his press conference today.
Will I live long enough to see us win again? Will any of us?

hog of steele

Quote from: 3Scoreand10 on October 09, 2017, 03:39:41 pm
So a good and honorable man will DEMAND to be paid his full due even when he has failed to deliver what that money was to buy?
I do not dispute the legal contract, but how could he in good conscious accept what he has not earned.

He is paid to coach the team. The buyout exists for the case where he is not coaching well enough. His punishment for non delivery of his promises is that he will be fired. The idea that he should self punish further than that is stupid.

Redhogs

Quote from: Surfing8 on October 09, 2017, 03:54:10 pm
In a thread full of inane hogsanity drivel, this post was under-appreciated.

Well done sir.
Love your avatar.... :) :)
Will I live long enough to see us win again? Will any of us?

3Scoreand10

Quote from: hog of steele on October 09, 2017, 04:00:39 pm
He is paid to coach the team. The buyout exists for the case where he is not coaching well enough. His punishment for non delivery of his promises is that he will be fired. The idea that he should self punish further than that is stupid.

Well, we disagree as to what an honorable and good man should do when he fails.

Bacons Rebellion

Quote from: phadedhawg on October 09, 2017, 02:41:30 pm
If Bert has managed his money well he's not going to go hungry without a huge payday on the way out the door. ...

Bert can go hungry on a walk to the car.

hog of steele

Quote from: 3Scoreand10 on October 09, 2017, 05:10:22 pm
Well, we disagree as to what an honorable and good man should do when he fails.

I doubt it. I think we actually disagree about what failure means. I think a man who works hard to provide for his family is no failure. On the other hand, giving a university a 15 million dollar gift as they fire you would be a failure. He won when he negotiated one fantastic contract for himself

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: Redhogs on October 09, 2017, 03:59:51 pm
They are both dug in like ticks now...Bert even more so judging from his press conference today.

He has 15 million reasons to be dug in.
If I'm going to cheer players and coaches in victory, I damn sure ought to be man enough to stand with them in defeat.

"Why some people are so drawn to the irrational is something that has always puzzled me" - James Randi

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: hog of steele on October 09, 2017, 05:33:07 pm
I doubt it. I think we actually disagree about what failure means. I think a man who works hard to provide for his family is no failure. On the other hand, giving a university a 15 million dollar gift as they fire you would be a failure. He won when he negotiated one fantastic contract for himself

And ALL theses posters on here saying "do the honorable thing and resign" would NEVER turn down 15 million if all it took to get it was getting fired.
If I'm going to cheer players and coaches in victory, I damn sure ought to be man enough to stand with them in defeat.

"Why some people are so drawn to the irrational is something that has always puzzled me" - James Randi

3Scoreand10

Quote from: hog of steele on October 09, 2017, 05:33:07 pm

He failed to accomplish what he was hired to do.  No honorable man should accept such a ridiculous amount of money for failure.

hog of steele

Sales manager: hey sales guy, come work for us, you will double our sales.
Sales guy: I think I could but il like my job
Manager: come, I will guarantee your salary just in case.
Sales guy: in that case, count me in

...a few years later

Manager: this isn't working. You are fired
Sales guy: that sucks. At least I negotiated that buyout
Manager: we would like you to wave that money

What should sales guy say?
A. Write my check
B. Show me the money
C. Stick it, then pay me

longpig

Quote from: Inhogswetrust on October 09, 2017, 05:39:43 pm
And ALL theses posters on here saying "do the honorable thing and resign" would NEVER turn down 15 million if all it took to get it was getting fired.

I'd be trying to get fired day one.
Don't be scared, be smart.

3Scoreand10

Quote from: Inhogswetrust on October 09, 2017, 05:39:43 pm

I expect him to collect every penny he can get before he leaves---
Salary and buy out.
I just do not think he cares about the U of A. or these kids on the football team anymore.  He knows he has failed and it is only about his money now.

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: 3Scoreand10 on October 09, 2017, 05:44:21 pm
He failed to accomplish what he was hired to do.  No honorable man should accept such a ridiculous amount of money for failure.

No honorable boss would renege on paying something they agreed to....
see how easy that is.

3Scoreand10

Quote from: Inhogswetrust on October 09, 2017, 06:05:25 pm
see how easy that is.

An honorable man would say--" I know we agreed to this buyout, but since I did not accomplish what I said I would, I will not accept it."
See how easy that is!!

3Scoreand10

Quote from: Inhogswetrust on October 09, 2017, 06:05:25 pm
see how easy that is.

I have never said we should renege on the contract, we should not.
My point is that an honorable man that has failed so badly should not take it, or at least take only a part of it until he can find another job.

hog of steele

Would you leave 15 million on the table? Keep in mind this is the buyout specifically designed for the case of failure.

BoynamedWooPigSooie

Quote from: RyanMallettsEgo on October 09, 2017, 02:06:51 pm
I bet we're gonna see some really new, fresh arguments stemming from this thread.

Keywords to look out for: buyout, Wisconsin, Alvarez, Long, walk-away, resign, built-to-win.

disappointed to not see "hand-written letter"
Hogville's resident uniform designer.

Ironhawg

Wasn't Bret's departure from Wisconsin somewhat acrimonious?  With that and how he reacted to Pittman leaving, some of his recent chippy comments regarding the negative fans and Jen's "karma" tweet directed at the Wisconsin fans, I just don't think they are walking away from any money due them anytime soon.

dhizzle

The morally right thing to do is to not get paid for years that you are not on the job. However the contract was signed by both parties.  We all know Jeff long goes by the contract, ask Little Rock.

code red

"If what you did yesterday seems big, you haven't done anything today."  Dr. Lou