Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

John Chavis, Steve Caldwell, Trooper Taylor, Ron Cooper

Started by Rzback, December 29, 2017, 04:54:08 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

raZor71

Ugly Uncle

Quote from: The_Bionic_Pig on December 31, 2017, 11:51:59 am
Could we add Larry Porter to the staff at some capacity since we're assembling a team of elite recruiters??

Love it!  Beats Pepsi!
Retired Radio Host

bcdrules

ricepig

Quote from: raZor71 on January 01, 2018, 08:45:41 am
I'll say this, the info I know is not here say.

How about hearsay?  As to Taylor, I was like many who thought he was nothing more than a towel waving bagman at Auburn. All I can say is what involvement I've seen it him in Jonesboro has been exemplary. I have no idea about his coaching ability, or anything he's done at ASU, but the couple of times I've heard him speak to high school aged kids, he's had a good message.

raZor71

Didn't mean to split hearsay. I'm not the best typer this early in the am! What do you expect him to do at speaking engagements/ interviews?

ricepig

Quote from: raZor71 on January 01, 2018, 09:33:27 am
Didn't mean to split hearsay. I'm not the best typer this early in the am! What do you expect him to do at speaking engagements/ interviews?

Spill the beans then, you're an anonymous poster, please expand your reasons.

MuskogeeHogFan

January 01, 2018, 09:45:25 am #107 Last Edit: January 01, 2018, 10:10:53 am by MuskogeeHogFan
Quote from: Ched "UglyUncle" Carpenter on January 01, 2018, 08:57:31 am
Love it!  Beats Pepsi!

Speaking of Pepsi (I know, off topic but among the changes I would like to see made) I understand wanting to make more money and I also understand certain companies buying their way onto the menu's that are available to attendee's of Razorback sporting events, but among the things that are within the control of the University, I'd like to see them be more concerned with catering to the "preferred menu desires" of the people who buy tickets and attend games.

If folks prefer Coca Cola, give them what they want. If they want Coffee or Hot Chocolate, for goodness sakes you (the University) aren't rookies at this and it isn't your first rodeo, have enough on hand to serve everyone's purchasing needs throughout the entire game. You have surely tracked sales on all items long enough to know how much you need to last through 4 full quarters and serve everyone.

Maybe they need to do a public survey during the spring to survey the menu desires of the purchasing public. I understand the dollars and cents thing, but these fans, these ticket holders, are Customers of the University and you want your Customer to be happy. Tailor the menu to what the public wants. Be good to your Customer. With Long gone, this might be the perfect public relations move to bring the University and the fans back together to a greater degree, regardless of the money. JMO
Go Hogs Go!

raZor71

I'd like to. Not trying to protect him but other's.

Hugo Bezdek

Quote from: bcdrules on January 01, 2018, 08:59:46 am
Caldwell is retweeting hog stuff this morning.

He's also following several of the new Hog coaches...and Michael Smith.

King Kong

Quote from: raZor71 on January 01, 2018, 07:10:26 am
Trooper Taylor is a scumbag! I live in Jonesboro and for reasons not related to whatever he did at Awbarn, I promise you, we don't want him anywhere near the campus!

Seems extreme for someone who cut you off in traffic

King Kong

Cody Vincent our new Asst Director of Recruiting is following both Chavis and Ron Cooper.

So at the moment I believe it is safe to assume Chavis, Cooper and Caldwell are coming.

Jackson_64

I'm surprised it's not been announced. His A&M contract was up yesterday. Should be today unless a snag is happening.
Lane Kiffin.

And it is way closer to happening then you think.

Way closer.

PRJ

HOGINTENNESSEE

raZor71

ricepig

Quote from: King Kong on January 01, 2018, 01:43:08 pm
Cody Vincent our new Asst Director of Recruiting is following both Chavis and Ron Cooper.

So at the moment I believe it is safe to assume Chavis, Cooper and Caldwell are coming.

Yeah, Thigpen is going to UNC.

King Kong

Quote from: ricepig on January 01, 2018, 03:02:55 pm
Yeah, Thigpen is going to UNC.

Makes sense that way he can still be the first name we mention every offseason when there is a coaching change

The_Bionic_Pig

█ ▆ ▅ ▄ ▃ ▂ ▁ *Mute*

welchog

Dad spoke to SC's  dad at church last Sunday.  He will be in Fayetteville Thursday to start coaching our boys.

opineonswine

Quote from: welchog on January 01, 2018, 05:01:40 pm
Dad spoke to SC's  dad at church last Sunday.  He will be in Fayetteville Thursday to start coaching our boys.
West Plains?

lakecityhog

Let's talk about some of these other can't miss DC's for a minute.
Steele gives up 27 to UCF and basically refuses to blitz, and this is with a month to prepare.
Aranda gives up 15 in the 4th quarter playing prevent D.
Grinch got his butt handed to him with a large helping "Thank you sir, may I have another."!!

Guys, you simply have to face facts-- the game is now tailored for offense, PERIOD!
The rules are setup for the passing game. Officials simply refuse to call penalties for linemen downfiled on RPO plays and receivers absolutely maul DB's on the little quick screens.

As long as the rules are set-up this way the D will suffer. Saban saw this firsthand and adapted, Arkansas has hired a guy that will take advantage of these rules too.

About the best that you can hope for is to create enough havoc to get a turnover and a couple of 3 and outs per half. Try to hold the opponent to less than your own O can score. If I saw anything today it was that holding back on D is just a slower death. If you give a good D1 quarterback time he WILL find the open guy.

ATTACK! Make the QB uncomfortable and you just might get a bad pass, an interception, a sack on just a simple 3NOut. Yeah, you will give up the big play every now and then, but you do that anyway.

opineonswine

Quote from: welchog on January 01, 2018, 05:01:40 pm

https://mobile.twitter.com/CoachSCaldwell

Rzback

If Venables, I would think we should hear something soon. If Chavis, I would guess they are waiting until A&M finds another DC and release him which could be a while. CCM said he was hoping to have his coaches announced by Jan 1st. Seems to be delayed. Is there any connection between Caldwell and Taylor with CCM? Spoke with an ASwho supporter and he does not want Trooper to leave and says that he's a good man being talked about negatively based on false accusations.
Winning Percentages (how times have changed!) Frank Broyles 71%  Lou Holtz  74%  Ken Hatfield 76%  Jack Crowe 38%  Joe Kines 35%  Danny Ford 47% Houston Nutt 61%  Bobby Petrino 67%  John L Smith  33%  Bret Bielema 46%  Chad Morris 14%  Sam Pittman 52%

Rzback

Winning Percentages (how times have changed!) Frank Broyles 71%  Lou Holtz  74%  Ken Hatfield 76%  Jack Crowe 38%  Joe Kines 35%  Danny Ford 47% Houston Nutt 61%  Bobby Petrino 67%  John L Smith  33%  Bret Bielema 46%  Chad Morris 14%  Sam Pittman 52%

Freebrd

Quote from: lakecityhog on January 01, 2018, 05:23:14 pm
Let's talk about some of these other can't miss DC's for a minute.
Steele gives up 27 to UCF and basically refuses to blitz, and this is with a month to prepare.
Aranda gives up 15 in the 4th quarter playing prevent D.
Grinch got his butt handed to him with a large helping "Thank you sir, may I have another."!!

Guys, you simply have to face facts-- the game is now tailored for offense, PERIOD!
The rules are setup for the passing game. Officials simply refuse to call penalties for linemen downfiled on RPO plays and receivers absolutely maul DB's on the little quick screens.

As long as the rules are set-up this way the D will suffer. Saban saw this firsthand and adapted, Arkansas has hired a guy that will take advantage of these rules too.

About the best that you can hope for is to create enough havoc to get a turnover and a couple of 3 and outs per half. Try to hold the opponent to less than your own O can score. If I saw anything today it was that holding back on D is just a slower death. If you give a good D1 quarterback time he WILL find the open guy.

ATTACK! Make the QB uncomfortable and you just might get a bad pass, an interception, a sack on just a simple 3NOut. Yeah, you will give up the big play every now and then, but you do that anyway.
Only problem with the comments above is the two best teams in the country , IMO Alabama and Clemson, DO play defense.  And with Georgia, right at the end of the first half Kirby Smart, former DC, took over and changed the outcome WITH defense.

Kevin

figure a&m & chavis are playing chicken over the money.  that is what all the delay is.
Submit yourselves therefore to God. Resist the devil and he will flee from you.<br />James 4:7
Reject Every Kind Of Evil 1 Thessalonians 5:22

BR

"Cause I love Cajun martinis and playin' afternoon golf"

welchog

Quote from: BR on January 02, 2018, 09:33:18 am
great town Mammoth Spring.....   Class of 78 Bear
Spent all but last two years there.  Moved across the border and graduated in 85 at Thayer MO.

PonderinHog

Quote from: welchog on January 02, 2018, 09:36:14 am
Spent all but last two years there.  Moved across the border and graduated in 85 at Thayer MO.
That's quite the journey!   ;)

ALLVOL

Chavis is a very good DC and if he does come to Hogs you will be happy. I know there's talk about the bowl game. But I wouldn't put much thought into a bowl game that doesn't matter, much less one where there's an interim and the players have checked out.

Rzback

If they let him choose his assistants we might prove to be pretty salty

Snout team

So, from what I am hearing, it looks like Trooper didn't make the cut.  Hmmm as they say
Some will be happy, some won't.

I'm not sure how I feel about it.  Some on here (including UU) seem to have a strong reaction to the potential of his hiring.  Others say "he was never charged with anything".  I'm not sure if there is substance to the dislike or not.  I do respect UU and do not find him to be a person who slings mud without significant reason.

The scout team (snout team) is an important part of the team although it gets little credit.

colbs

Quote from: #hammerdown on January 02, 2018, 03:49:41 pm
So, from what I am hearing, it looks like Trooper didn't make the cut.  Hmmm as they say

I'm not sure how I feel about it.  Some on here (including UU) seem to have a strong reaction to the potential of his hiring.  Others say "he was never charged with anything".  I'm not sure if there is substance to the dislike or not.  I do respect UU and do not find him to be a person who slings mud without significant reason.

Who did make the cut?

MuskogeeHogFan

Quote from: ALLVOL on January 02, 2018, 09:51:27 am
Chavis is a very good DC and if he does come to Hogs you will be happy. I know there's talk about the bowl game. But I wouldn't put much thought into a bowl game that doesn't matter, much less one where there's an interim and the players have checked out.

I guess we could say that Kirby Smart has lost control of his defense too? I mean, look at all those points scored on him with a lot better talent than Chavis had at A&M?
Go Hogs Go!

ALLVOL

Quote from: MuskogeeHogFan on January 02, 2018, 04:05:39 pm
I guess we could say that Kirby Smart has lost control of his defense too? I mean, look at all those points scored on him with a lot better talent than Chavis had at A&M?
The Rose Bowl was a good game but one that was a head scratcher for sure on OU's part. They squib to end the half, throwing a wheel route when you need 2 yards and not being nearly as aggressive in the 2nd half as they were in the 1st half.
But at the end of the day (and what matters much more) Chavis is a very, very good DC and I fully expect him to do good things at Arkansas.

MuskogeeHogFan

Quote from: ALLVOL on January 02, 2018, 04:25:16 pm
The Rose Bowl was a good game but one that was a head scratcher for sure on OU's part. They squib to end the half, throwing a wheel route when you need 2 yards and not being nearly as aggressive in the 2nd half as they were in the 1st half.
But at the end of the day (and what matters much more) Chavis is a very, very good DC and I fully expect him to do good things at Arkansas.

The head scratcher was Georgia not playing better shut down defense against Oklahoma who they had to know, relied on the big chunk yardage plays to keep their offense moving. Now granted, Oklahoma was THE big play team in the country with a big play (plays in excess of a 10 yard gain) in every 1.8 offensive plays, but Georgia appeared to be playing more of a contain, though they did gain 5 Sacks, 9 TFL. Still, they let OU run all over them. Not at all what I expected of them.   
Go Hogs Go!

Hugo Bezdek

Quote from: #hammerdown on January 02, 2018, 03:49:41 pm

With the Cowboys doing some housecleaning, does anyone think Greg Jackson might be a possibility for the Secondary? http://www.dallascowboys.com/team/coaches/roster/greg-jackson

ALLVOL

Quote from: MuskogeeHogFan on January 02, 2018, 04:54:44 pm
The head scratcher was Georgia not playing better shut down defense against Oklahoma who they had to know, relied on the big chunk yardage plays to keep their offense moving. Now granted, Oklahoma was THE big play team in the country with a big play (plays in excess of a 10 yard gain) in every 1.8 offensive plays, but Georgia appeared to be playing more of a contain, though they did gain 5 Sacks, 9 TFL. Still, they let OU run all over them. Not at all what I expected of them.   
I thought Riley had them ready and hit UGA where they were vulnerable. They went right at the aggressive rush with short quick passes. That opened up the run game significantly. When UGA blitzed in that first half Mayfield was killing them. In the 2nd half OU tried to throw more down field and run between the tackles.
Top to bottom UGA was the better team but Oklahoma err chokelahoma cropped their britches for sure.

opineonswine

Oliver

I really hope we are smart enough to hire Trooper too

MemphisBossHog

Quote from: Oliver on January 02, 2018, 07:20:19 pm
I really hope we are smart enough to hire Trooper too
he was so annoying on the sidelines at Awbarn waving that big towel all the time but hey, if the guy can recruit today's elite talent to Fayetteville, then bring him on.   I never thought I would see the day when we would be talking about Trooper Taylor coming to the Hill.  WOW

Rzback

Pork Twain

"It is better to be an optimist and proven wrong, than a pessimist and proven right." ~Pork Twain

https://www.facebook.com/groups/sweetmemes/

ricepig

Quote from: Rzback on January 02, 2018, 09:15:31 pm
Can anyone confirm?  https://tinyurl.com/ya4prcm3

FootballScoop and the station confirmed each other as a source, so....you've got that....I expect some announcements today, PC tomorrow.

opineonswine

I value this opinion much more than the ones from those who wanted someone else:
http://www.hogville.net/yabbse/index.php?topic=654971.msg11303927#msg11303927

And you have this from one of his players at AtM:

Tyrel Dodson (Aggie LB) to Chavis:
@tdots25
I wouldn't be the player I am today without you. I wouldn't be here in College Station, Texas if it wasn't for you. What's understood doesn't need to be explained. Thank you for the tools to greatness.

NaturalStateReb

I'm a no on Trooper Taylor, but otherwise some good hires.
"It's a trap!"--Houston Nutt and Admiral Ackbar, although Ackbar never called that play or ate that frito pie.

opineonswine

Justin Wells (@justinwells2424)
1/3/18, 9:36 AM
Former Gilmer and A&M QB, and WR GA at Texas, @JordanTraylor, has accepted a position as Offensive Analyst at Arkansas. #WPS #bEASTtexas

TX HOG