Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

John Chavis, Steve Caldwell, Trooper Taylor, Ron Cooper

Started by Rzback, December 29, 2017, 04:54:08 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

King Kong

Quote from: WaltonCollege on December 29, 2017, 08:39:37 pm
But I thought we were keeping our current d line coach because he can recruit GA and got us Fulwhinder?

Still possible. Caldwell sometimes coaches just DE

tennesseehogwild

Wasn't Taylor the assistant at Tennessee that Georgia lured away? And isn't he supposed to recruit the state of Georgia (Atlanta area) well? Not sure if I am thinking of the right guy?

WaltonCollege

Quote from: King Kong on December 29, 2017, 08:44:39 pm
Still possible. Caldwell sometimes coaches just DE

We can only hope Chad Morris is reading hogville as this would be an awesome move.

WaltonCollege

Quote from: tennesseehogwild on December 29, 2017, 08:51:23 pm
Wasn't Taylor the assistant at Tennessee that Georgia lured away? And isn't he supposed ti recruit the state of Georgia (Atlanta area) well? Not sure if I am thinking of the right guy?

He was on the staff with Chizik and Malzahn that won the ring with Cam Newton. He was their ace recruiter on staff.

JIHawg

Has Trooper been charged and found guilty of anything by the NCAA?    Some of you may be slandering him.  Lets have some links to some facts of any charges and punishment.  Rumors and opinions don't count.

King Kong

December 29, 2017, 09:13:21 pm #55 Last Edit: December 29, 2017, 10:12:27 pm by King Kong
Quote from: JIHawg on December 29, 2017, 09:10:45 pm
Has Trooper been charged and found guilty of anything by the NCAA?    Some of you may be slandering him.  Lets have some links to some facts of any charges and punishment.  Rumors and opinions don't count.

Well he was investigated and Auburn removed him from the recruiting during it. So more than rumors. However the NCAA did not charge him with anything.

Either way he brings in ballers

jkelly107

Had to look up Ron Cooper. What am I missing? Whats the draw to hire this guy? 49 and 59 as a head coach and hasn't
really kept a job long. I realize some of these are career advancement but many aren't. Everyone calls Gus a job hopper but he has nothing on this guy.

1983    Appalachian State (GA)
1984    Minnesota (GA)
1985–1986    Austin Peay (assistant)
1987–1988    Murray State (DC)
1989    East Carolina (assistant)
1990    UNLV (DC)
1991–1992    Notre Dame (assistant)
1993–1994    Eastern Michigan
1995–1997    Louisville
1998–2001    Alabama A&M
2002    Wisconsin (DB)
2003    Mississippi State (DC)
2004    South Carolina (DB)
2005    South Carolina (OLB/ST)
2006–2007    South Carolina (AHC/DB)
2008    South Carolina (S)
2009–2011    LSU (DB)
2012    Tampa Bay Buccaneers (DB)
2013–2014    South Florida (AHC/DB)
2015    FIU (DB)
2016    FIU (DC/LB)
2016    FIU (interim)
2017–present    Texas A&M (DB)

Hugo Bezdek

Quote from: tennesseehogwild on December 29, 2017, 08:51:23 pm
Wasn't Taylor the assistant at Tennessee that Georgia lured away? And isn't he supposed to recruit the state of Georgia (Atlanta area) well? Not sure if I am thinking of the right guy?

I think that was Rodney Gardner, currently the DLine coach at Auburn.

Hugo Bezdek

Quote from: jkelly107 on December 29, 2017, 09:16:06 pm
Had to look up Ron Cooper. What am I missing? Whats the draw to hire this guy? 49 and 59 as a head coach and hasn't
really kept a job long. I realize some of these are career advancement but many aren't. Everyone calls Gus a job hopper but he has nothing on this guy.

1983    Appalachian State (GA)
1984    Minnesota (GA)
1985–1986    Austin Peay (assistant)
1987–1988    Murray State (DC)
1989    East Carolina (assistant)
1990    UNLV (DC)
1991–1992    Notre Dame (assistant)
1993–1994    Eastern Michigan
1995–1997    Louisville
1998–2001    Alabama A&M
2002    Wisconsin (DB)
2003    Mississippi State (DC)
2004    South Carolina (DB)
2005    South Carolina (OLB/ST)
2006–2007    South Carolina (AHC/DB)
2008    South Carolina (S)
2009–2011    LSU (DB)
2012    Tampa Bay Buccaneers (DB)
2013–2014    South Florida (AHC/DB)
2015    FIU (DB)
2016    FIU (DC/LB)
2016    FIU (interim)
2017–present    Texas A&M (DB)

I think Cooper's reputation is more as a position coach who puts guys in the NFL.

j-mann

i am checking Trooper Twitter   and he is fallowing i dont see morris  but i do see Fla st new coach         
calling the hogs from Jonesboro    i have  cerebral  palsy  Rheumatoid arthritis   and Chronic Fatigue Syndrome   i cannot space  well  or spell well   but i still  love the hogs

hog_fan

hog_fan

Quote from: HogFansReunited on December 29, 2017, 07:24:18 pm
I really hope we have a dedicated special teams coach. I really think it hurt us by not having one the last few years.

Me to, but going to be 5 and 5 with 1 focusing on Special Teams per CCM. Caldwell could do DE/Special Teams

razorback44

Quote from: Hugo Bezdek on December 29, 2017, 07:18:37 pm
I think this is close. I'd rather see Terry Price https://247sports.com/Coach/Terry-Price-292/AllTimeRecruits than Scott. Traylor was the STC when he was at Texas, so that is a possibility. Morris has also said he may use an Analyst for Special Teams rather than an on-field coach.

Morris - HC
Traylor - AHC/STC/RB
Craddock - OC/QB
Stepp - WR
Lunney - TE
Fry - OL
Chavis - DC/LB
Price - DT
Caldwell - DE
Cooper - S/OLB
Taylor - CB/NB

Caldwell has coached STs at Tennessee and one season at Arkansas so he's a possibility  too.
"No force and no man can abolish memory"  FDR

chiefsfan

For what its worth, Taylor has been squeaky clean every since he got here.  Excellent recruiter, not necessarily a great on field coach.  We play defensively very similar to what Chavis does with heavy doses of corners isolated on receivers, the issue is that our corners were (outside of Blaise) extremely undisciplined.  We gave up a lot of quick strike TD's on blown coverages.  There was also a big issue with taking stupid penalties at inopportune times, but that was a team wide thing as well.  Right or wrong, a few of our fans blamed Trooper for that, though the rest of us know where to pin the blame for that

Timing makes sense.  Blaise just graduated, so he's not tied to him anymore.  His daughter plays basketball here and his wife is a professor, and I don't see either of them moving, but I could see  Trooper taking the chance to get one last shot at the SEC.  I've heard nothing yet though.

If you guys do take him, would you be interested in a slightly used Head coach who'd be a good OC?  We've got one we'd sell you on the cheap.
Honor and Integrity no longer exist in the world of college football.  It is only filled with liar's cheater's, and traitors.

Iwastherein1969

Quote from: Rudy Baylor on December 29, 2017, 05:58:56 pm
Or unmotivated staff?
CHRISTMAS VACATION movie, scene, Clarke finally gets all the lights on the house shining, whole family in awe outside looking at lights...Clarke speaking, "Art, Uncle Art..." Art cuts in and says, "yeah, Clarke, but the little lights aren't twinkling", Clarke replies, "yeah I know, Art and thanks for noticing"

You need to change your forum name to Uncle Art or Mr Killjoy, either one will work.
The long Grey line will never fail our country.

RedyorNot

Quote from: Hugo Bezdek on December 29, 2017, 07:18:37 pm
I think this is close. I'd rather see Terry Price https://247sports.com/Coach/Terry-Price-292/AllTimeRecruits than Scott. Traylor was the STC when he was at Texas, so that is a possibility. Morris has also said he may use an Analyst for Special Teams rather than an on-field coach.

Morris - HC
Traylor - AHC/STC/RB
Craddock - OC/QB
Stepp - WR
Lunney - TE
Fry - OL
Chavis - DC/LB
Price - DT
Caldwell - DE
Cooper - S/OLB
Taylor - CB/NB

John Scott Jr. hasn't been released, he may have a spot as well.

BR

Quote from: RedyorNot on December 30, 2017, 08:10:48 am
John Scott Jr. hasn't been released, he may have a spot as well.
By the Razorback web site this is the only listed members of the staff as of 8:15am this morning.

Chad Morris    Head Coach         
Barry Lunney Jr.    Assistant Coach / TE         
Bobby Allen    Director of NFL & High School Relations   
"Cause I love Cajun martinis and playin' afternoon golf"

RedyorNot

Quote from: BR on December 30, 2017, 08:21:33 am
By the Razorback web site this is the only listed members of the staff as of 8:15am this morning.

Chad Morris    Head Coach         
Barry Lunney Jr.    Assistant Coach / TE         
Bobby Allen    Director of NFL & High School Relations   

I saw that also, I was going by his Twitter account profile and he's still a Hog coach. He hasn't been officially released, yet anyway, so he may still have a spot.

Hogarusa

Do Hog fans like Trooper Taylor now? I see a couple keeping it straight. He has certainly been insulted a lot over Hogville years
I'll ride the wave where it takes me

OneTuskOverTheLine™

Quote from: SooieGeneris on December 29, 2017, 06:41:27 pm
My guess would be Lunney right where he was: TEs. Steppe WRs, Fry OL, Traylor RBs and Craddock QBs/OC.

On defense: Chavis DC/LBs, Caldwell DEs, Cooper DBs, Scott DTs/ST and whoever is the 10th maybe S with Cooper coaching CBs. It could be that Caldwell takes the entire DL with Scott taking ST.

Nothing inside, just guesses from what I've heard and read..

Too close to D.B. Cooper... It beg's for an investigation that makes Mueller's look like a vacation.
Quote from: capehog on March 12, 2010...
My ex wife had a pet monkey I used to play with. That was one of the few things I liked about her

quote from: golf2day on June 19, 2014....
I'm disgusted, but kinda excited. Now I'm disgusted that I'm excited.

Hoot72

This morning my opinion of Trooper Taylor changed, even about wearing his hat backwards. If you have not read the story about his son on the sports page of the Democrat-Gazette, please do. Very informative, uplifting, and mind-changing.

jcharkansas

Quote from: Ched "UglyUncle" Carpenter on December 29, 2017, 05:34:20 pm
Not happy about the possibility of Trooper Taylor.  He is dirty.  Don't want him.

I want to win...but not slimy.
Don't really know much about Taylor except when he was at Auburn it seemed like he was a hot name and Considered a good recruiter I thought. I'm really surprised he's been at ASU so long.

lakecityhog

Back to the OP, If you look at things from a position-by-position standpoint how does it layout?
Chavis--------DC/LB
Caldwell------DL
Cooper-------DB
Taylor--------ST  I really like the idea of a dedicated Special Teams coach!!

Who is #5 and what position does he coach? Break out the Tackles and Ends?

I like the idea of the DB's being together as well as the LB's. The corners and safeties have to work together as team and having them coached apart could cause some confusion, same for the backers.

lakecityhog

According to a large percentage of posters here "It ain't the X's & O's, it's the Jimmys and Joes." And many of those same guys constantly tell the rest of us that "We have NO SEC talent." Why not hire another O coach and just try to outscore everyone?

I watched the Grinch truly do LESS with more than a whole lot of other teams. I also watched an Iowa State team with a 4 year average recruiting ranking of #55 play tremendous defense against a really good offensive team. I watched a Mississippi State defense play a great game against another offensive powerhouse. That was with an interim HC.

Guys, these Bowl Games should have proved to you that good coaching can overcome some talent deficiencies. Putting QB's under pressure creates mistakes, tackles for loss often causes OC's to get a little more conservative and turnovers are the great equalizer! If we get a defensive staff that is aggressive and teaches sound fundamental techniques we can compete.

If we have coaches with the name recognition to get into the homes and get the kids/parents to our campus we have a good chance to land them. If we can assemble a staff that is very good at identifying kids that can play and are coachable we will be ahead of the game to start with.

I will be the first to say that I am firmly in the "wait and see" camp. But, that is NOT to say that I don't have any faith, I do. I think Morris can build an offense for us. I also believe that Chavis can build a defense for us. I absolutely believe that we have LOTS of talented kids on the roster. I'm just willing to wait and see IF these guys can put it ALL together and build a GOOD football team.

Pork Twain

Like me and you, most posters have never coached at any college level so anything any of us say isn't really worth much.
"It is better to be an optimist and proven wrong, than a pessimist and proven right." ~Pork Twain

https://www.facebook.com/groups/sweetmemes/

The_Bionic_Pig

Could we add Larry Porter to the staff at some capacity since we're assembling a team of elite recruiters??
█ ▆ ▅ ▄ ▃ ▂ ▁ *Mute*

go hogues

There are only a handful of programs that really play and/or care about defense anymore and three of them are in the CFP.

Unless our defensive recruiting changes drastically, I don't see the DC position making that big of a difference. We have had good DC's here over the last 20+ years and generally produce the same kind of results on that side of the ball.
Quote from: Leadbelly on September 24, 2019, 09:05:22 pm<br />Dude, our back has been against the wall so long, we are now on the other side of the wall!<br />

King Kong

Quote from: The_Bionic_Pig on December 31, 2017, 11:51:59 am
Could we add Larry Porter to the staff at some capacity since we're assembling a team of elite recruiters??

I don't think he will leave Auburn to come here. Also it been a bit since he recruited at that elite level he had for a few years at LSU

I'd rather get a Curtis Luper and Tommy Thigpen

King Kong

Smashmouth2004

Tell me truthfully if we had a truly good recruiting defensive staff the last 6 years. We need a staff who historically have been good recruiters and when that happens we'll see better results.

Hawgzinbowlz

lakecityhog

Guys, it's not just about the DC that we hire! It's about the TOTAL package, does the DC hire guys that mesh with him AND his style? Does the Head Coach FULLY support the DC and what he is trying to accomplish?

How many times during Petrino's show did he point out a missed assignment and how that 1 guy out of 11 missing his assignment caused a failure for that play? Coordinating a defense is EXACTLY the same thing. 1 coach not being on the same page with the rest of the staff, 1 coach not working at his peak or 1 coach accepting less from his group can have a HUGE impact on an entire game outcome.

That concept is exactly how an Iowa State goes out and beats an Oklahoma! That is how a Coastal Carolina very nearly beats us AT HOME!! Coaches coach and players play is a very true statement, but the statement should be that players play the way that they are coached. If a coach accepts a half-assed effort then players will play that way on game day!

We ARE NOT a National Championship caliber team right now and we may have to wait for a very long time to get there. But, we can be a competitive SEC team right now and that simply has to be enough for right now. Let's get to a point where winning 8 games every year is the norm, then we can work on winning 9 or 10 every year and then we can start thinking about making a run at an SEC Championship.

It is a process and it starts with COACHING!!!

hogmolar

3 of the 4 teams in the playoff have a total defense in the Top 8. Oklahoma is the outlier in at low 50's but have the best player in college football. So to answer your question....Yes who we hire at DC does matter.

Jek Tono Porkins

Of course it matters in the SEC. How many times over the past decade have we witnessed near-incompetence on defense? Missed tackles out the wazoo, blown assignments out the wazoo, etc. If you're in a lesser conference you can just rely on the offense to score 50 points a game and whatever happens happens. But in the SEC there are going to be games where the offense is going to struggle and your defense or special teams  is going to have to win you the game.
I have known the troubles I was born to know
I have wanted things a poor man's born to want
And in all my dreams and memories I go running
Through the fields of Arkansas from which I sprung

WorfHog

PonderinHog

The Kig

It's critical to hire the right type of DC.  High octane offenses put more pressure on the defense because they will be back on the field quickly.  No matter who the DC is, we are going to give up points and yards, but with the right DC we can get a timely turnover that proves the difference in winning and losing.  So Chavis style of being aggressive is exactly what we need.
Poker Porker

BroyledNutts

Well, if you can't get the 4s and 5s to come play defense for you, then the talent of the guy (and his staff) you hire to make 2s and 3s into a workable defense becomes even more important.

lakecityhog

Based on the few responses to this thread it looks like many agree with me, coaching matters!

I have always contended that better coaching can overcome perceived talent gaps. I have never truly bought into the recruiting services. #1 they don't grade all the players, #2 they miss a LOT and #3 a great player that doesn't fit the system is worse than a good player that does fit the system.

And yes, any chance that the DC has to be successful is directly proportional to the support that he gets from the Head Coach! If Morris gives Chavis the leeway to really do his job I really believe that he can produce a top 50 defense in year 1.

Pig Worshipper

I will agree that an elite head coach with good assistants can make all the difference. We partially had it with Petrino - he had an indomitable will and play-calling genius but lacked the staff. We had it in full with Lou Holtz - elite coach and staff and, of course, with Frank Broyles in the 1960's.
Chad Morris may be a good offensive assistant coach but he is not elite head coach-material. Chavis was great at one time but does he still have fire in his belly or is this going to be one last retirement-fund padding venture?
For a school like Arkansas, hiring an elite coach, whether he's an up-an-comer or someone well-established is a much, much more important priority than recruiting more four and five-stars.

Sed76

At this point just about anything would be better that the last 2 seasons. Most atrocious displays of defense I can remember the Razorbacks ever putting on the field.

Freebrd

To roughly quote last week's paper, "Yes Virginia there is a need for defense".
I hope we have to wait until AFTER the national championship is decided due to availability!

lakecityhog

"Chad Morris may be a good offensive assistant coach but he is not elite head coach-material."

And you know this how? I have no idea what kind of HC Morris will be and the truth is YOU don't either! You appear to be quite biased and you almost went to the same spot with Chavis, but stopped short.

Due to Morris being the offensive guru similar to Petrino and Malzahn we do have to wonder how much of an effect that will have on our defense.

The_Bionic_Pig

Quote from: King Kong on December 31, 2017, 11:58:34 am
I don't think he will leave Auburn to come here. Also it been a bit since he recruited at that elite level he had for a few years at LSU

I'd rather get a Curtis Luper and Tommy Thigpen

Oh yeah Tommy is unemployed so we don't have to outbid anyone...
█ ▆ ▅ ▄ ▃ ▂ ▁ *Mute*

HOGINTENNESSEE

texas tush hog

Quote from: lakecityhog on December 31, 2017, 05:08:24 pm
"Chad Morris may be a good offensive assistant coach but he is not elite head coach-material."

And you know this how? I have no idea what kind of HC Morris will be and the truth is YOU don't either! You appear to be quite biased and you almost went to the same spot with Chavis, but stopped short.

Due to Morris being the offensive guru similar to Petrino and Malzahn we do have to wonder how much of an effect that will have on our defense.

Nobody on this board has been more critical and or opposed to this hire than I have been, but that was before I talked to my old friend, class mate, and buddy, Terry Don Phillips, he changed my mind completely. I would never listen to Bo, Clay, Trey, or Otis but Terry Don is different. He was the athletic director at Clemson for several years and is more familiar with the development of that program than anybody. I would listen to him but none of these sunshine pumpers. So when you so called experts criticize anything Morris does or who he hires you are wasting your time with me. I admit that I was wrong, ya'll need to wait and see what he and Chavis defense produces before you trash them.

raZor71

Trooper Taylor is a scumbag! I live in Jonesboro and for reasons not related to whatever he did at Awbarn, I promise you, we don't want him anywhere near the campus!

Torqued pork

January 01, 2018, 08:39:33 am #98 Last Edit: January 03, 2018, 09:15:51 am by NaturalStateReb
QuoteTrooper Taylor is a scumbag! I live in Jonesboro and for reasons not related to whatever he did at Awbarn, I promise you, we don't want him anywhere near the campus!
Got any details?

Rzback

Quote from: raZor71 on January 01, 2018, 07:10:26 am
Trooper Taylor is a scumbag! I live in Jonesboro and for reasons not related to whatever he did at Awbarn, I promise you, we don't want him anywhere near the campus!
can you elaborate? Do most other Jonesboro and ASU people feel the same as you?
Winning Percentages (how times have changed!) Frank Broyles 71%  Lou Holtz  74%  Ken Hatfield 76%  Jack Crowe 38%  Joe Kines 35%  Danny Ford 47% Houston Nutt 61%  Bobby Petrino 67%  John L Smith  33%  Bret Bielema 46%  Chad Morris 14%  Sam Pittman 52%