Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Mullen at MSU keep being mentioned in several threads

Started by 12247, September 19, 2017, 03:51:40 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

So I did a dab of research on MSU and him.   From 1958 thru 1977 MSU had 5 winning seasons,  From 78 thru 97 they had 8 winning seasons and from 98 thru 2016 they've had 10 winning seasons.  Mullen has 8 full seasons with MSU as the HC and has had 6 winning seasons.  The 8 seasons before Mullen, MSU won 29 games for an average of 3.63 wins per season.  Mullen in the past 8 full seasons has won 61 games or 7.63 wins per season.  By most any reasonable standard, Mullen is a successful HC at MSU.  He has more than doubled the number of wins over the 8 seasons before he became HC.  He has surpassed many SEC teams as far as clout including OM, Ark, SC, and maybe catching A&M and TN.  I remember when we Hog fans looked at them pretty much as doormats. 

I have watched Mullen and company jerk defeat from the jaws of victory on several ocassions, but when you look at the facts, he has done a nice job considering where he has plied his trade.  And he is 3-0 this season.   
He certainly does more with less than most of his SEC foes.

razorbackfaninar

Quote from: 12247 on September 19, 2017, 03:51:40 pm
So I did a dab of research on MSU and him.   From 1958 thru 1977 MSU had 5 winning seasons,  From 78 thru 97 they had 8 winning seasons and from 98 thru 2016 they've had 10 winning seasons.  Mullen has 8 full seasons with MSU as the HC and has had 6 winning seasons.  The 8 seasons before Mullen, MSU won 29 games for an average of 3.63 wins per season.  Mullen in the past 8 full seasons has won 61 games or 7.63 wins per season.  By most any reasonable standard, Mullen is a successful HC at MSU.  He has more than doubled the number of wins over the 8 seasons before he became HC.  He has surpassed many SEC teams as far as clout including OM, Ark, SC, and maybe catching A&M and TN.  I remember when we Hog fans looked at them pretty much as doormats. 

I have watched Mullen and company jerk defeat from the jaws of victory on several ocassions, but when you look at the facts, he has done a nice job considering where he has plied his trade.  And he is 3-0 this season.   
He certainly does more with less than most of his SEC foes.

I agree with you.  Yet as recently as last year State fans were talking about firing him.

NaturalStateReb

He made Mississippi State the #1 team in the first ever CFP poll and took State to an Orange Bowl.  He's an excellent coach, probably the 2nd best behind Saban.

/thread
"It's a trap!"--Houston Nutt and Admiral Ackbar, although Ackbar never called that play or ate that frito pie.

ShadowHawg

Mullen is not the 2nd best coach in this conference.

Winning seasons and bowl games are zilch these days. Beat 4 cream puff non cons Ole Miss and and another low level SEC team and you get to play a bum team in one of 40 bowl games. Voila, winning season!

LZH

If Bielema gets ran off at the end of the year, would Mullins take the job? And how much would we have to pay him? I never have cared for the guy, he always had this weird demeanor thing that rubbed me the wrong way, but apparently he can coach like hell. I wasn't Bosom Buddies with Bobby Petrino either, but he could damn sure coach and that's what I wanted.

ricepig

Quote from: LZH on September 19, 2017, 04:49:53 pm
If Bielema gets ran off at the end of the year, would Mullins take the job? And how much would we have to pay him? I never have cared for the guy, he always had this weird demeanor thing that rubbed me the wrong way, but apparently he can coach like hell. I wasn't Bosom Buddies with Bobby Petrino either, but he could damn sure coach and that's what I wanted.

He's a Yankee, born in PA, Delta wouldn't approve.

Wildhog

I don't think we could get him.  It's basically a lateral move at this point.
Arkansas Razorbacks Football National Championships:
1909/1964/1965/1977

PorkRinds

Quote from: Wildhog on September 19, 2017, 05:04:45 pm

Not a chance.

Jek Tono Porkins

Mullen does more with less, but his recruiting rankings are historically around where Arkansas has been every year. As much as it pains me through every organ of my body to say this, from Mullen's perspective, Arkansas isn't a step up from MSU.
I have known the troubles I was born to know
I have wanted things a poor man's born to want
And in all my dreams and memories I go running
Through the fields of Arkansas from which I sprung

Bacon_Bitz

Mullen is not above board at all. Y'all do realize the Leo Lewis may have immunity but no one else does right?

Wildhog

Quote from: Jek Tono Porkins on September 19, 2017, 05:16:58 pm
Mullen does more with less, but his recruiting rankings are historically around where Arkansas has been every year. As much as it pains me through every organ of my body to say this, from Mullen's perspective, Arkansas isn't a step up from MSU.

Agreed. 
1909/1964/1965/1977

Porkette

September 19, 2017, 05:22:44 pm #11 Last Edit: September 19, 2017, 07:21:24 pm by Porkette
Dan Mullen is an excellent coach who has done a really great job building Miss State. I don't know why he would leave except maybe for a job with a lot of advantages like a Florida.

We do always need to keep things in perspective though. Probably every fan base in the country right now that is unhappy with things (and that is probably at least half of them  ;)) is chattering about wanting Dan Mullen this week because of what they just did to LSU. The people with shorter attention spans may not want him as soon as they lose again, or wouldn't have last year when State was bad.
GO HOGS GO!

yocdaddy

Mullen went 6-7 last season in his 8th season at Miss St.  Most of his years look very similar to the last 4 here.  He's had one 10 win season in 8 years.  I can't see our fan base raving about that.  I think Mullen is a good coach, probably very similar to the one we have. 

I would just as soon keep the one we have, than take a shot at an unknown.  Stability works in college sports
"More people would learn from their mistakes, if they weren't so busy denying them."  --Harold J. Smith

NaturalStateReb

Quote from: ShadowHawg on September 19, 2017, 04:37:37 pm
Mullen is not the 2nd best coach in this conference.

Winning seasons and bowl games are zilch these days. Beat 4 cream puff non cons Ole Miss and and another low level SEC team and you get to play a bum team in one of 40 bowl games. Voila, winning season!

Great. Who's #2?

Bert?
Unfrozen Caveman Ballcoach?
Swag Sumlin?
St. Gus?
McElwain?
Mason?
Coach Boom?
Stoops?
Big Game Butch?
Smart?
Luke?
The Random Guy at Mizzou?

Just curious which of these all stars you're going with over Mullen.
"It's a trap!"--Houston Nutt and Admiral Ackbar, although Ackbar never called that play or ate that frito pie.

LZH

Quote from: ricepig on September 19, 2017, 05:02:58 pm

Well when you consider the odds of 1 in 65000, I think we have a pretty good shot.

jacobp

They play a notoriously weak non con schedule every year and have a weak permanent opponent from the east. Bowl eligible is handed to them pretty much every year.
He's finished with a winning conference record exactly 1 time in his entire stint in Starkville.
Nevermind that once the NCAA is done with ole miss, State is probably going to be the next one on probation

Athog

Quote from: razorbackfaninar on September 19, 2017, 03:58:40 pm
I agree with you.  Yet as recently as last year State fans were talking about firing him.

Agree! Yes there was a fire him movement!

tangman

He is the #2 coach in the SEC. He seems to develop QB's. I can see him leaving for the right offer. The questions is, how much do we offer him?

NaturalStateReb

Quote from: jacobp on September 19, 2017, 07:15:51 pm
They play a notoriously weak non con schedule every year and have a weak permanent opponent from the east. Bowl eligible is handed to them pretty much every year.
He's finished with a winning conference record exactly 1 time in his entire stint in Starkville.
Nevermind that once the NCAA is done with ole miss, State is probably going to be the next one on probation

This is just "surely we're better than them" syndrome.

They just boat raced LSU and the guy is fantastic with QBs.

ghostzapper

Quote from: NaturalStateReb on September 19, 2017, 04:06:22 pm
He made Mississippi State the #1 team in the first ever CFP poll and took State to an Orange Bowl.  He's an excellent coach, probably the 2nd best behind Saban.

/thread

In SEC or country?

jacobp

Quote from: NaturalStateReb on September 19, 2017, 07:59:31 pm
This is just "surely we're better than them" syndrome.

They just boat raced LSU and the guy is fantastic with QBs.
He is great with QB's. still only has one year with a winning SEC record

porkrindjimmy

I got 2 words for ya....Joey Freshwater...

PRJ

porkrindjimmy

Quote from: tangman on September 19, 2017, 07:31:23 pm
He is the #2 coach in the SEC. He seems to develop QB's. I can see him leaving for the right offer. The questions is, how much do we offer him?

He has basically tried to run out of Starkville. Tried like the devil to get the Miami job....

But he aint coming here...

PRJ

Wildhog

Quote from: porkrindjimmy on September 19, 2017, 09:16:09 pm
I got 2 words for ya....Joey Freshwater...

PRJ

I hope you're not suggesting we hire Joey Freshwater. 
1909/1964/1965/1977

porkrindjimmy

Quote from: Wildhog on September 19, 2017, 09:22:49 pm
I hope you're not suggesting we hire Joey Freshwater. 

Ummmm.....No. But he would win here.

PRJ

NaturalStateReb

RedRazorHog

Quote from: Wildhog on September 19, 2017, 05:04:45 pm

Ours may not be at the level of MSU at this point.  He has a team that is better than ours and a franchise QB for a few years.  I doubt he would leave to come here.
"I've found that prayers work best when you have Big Players"

--Knute Rockne

hobhog

Quote from: NaturalStateReb on September 19, 2017, 06:48:50 pm
Great. Who's #2?

Bert?
Unfrozen Caveman Ballcoach?
Swag Sumlin?
St. Gus?
McElwain?
Mason?
Coach Boom?
Stoops?
Big Game Butch?
Smart?
Luke?
The Random Guy at Mizzou?

Just curious which of these all stars you're going with over Mullen.

The nicknames are so cute....

DeltaBoy

Quote from: ricepig on September 19, 2017, 05:02:58 pm

If he WINS like Bobby Did I am fine.
If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.
-- Major General Patrick Cleburne
The Confederacy had no better soldiers
than the Arkansans--fearless, brave, and oftentimes courageous beyond
prudence. Dickart History of Kershaws Brigade.

FBREW000

Mason at vandy is starting to grow on me.  If he continues his streak with their limitations.  He may overtake others in the top 3 coaches in the SEC.