Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

2015-2016 Duck Season

Started by OnTheHillHogFan, November 22, 2015, 03:26:44 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

IronHog

lots of refuge birds right now......
Iron sharpens iron, So one man sharpens another.

ricepig

We had golf ball size hall just south of Jonesboro today. I saw this on twitter a few minutes ago.

https://twitter.com/nash_thomas22/status/679830139539046400

pick_DA_EAGLES

Quote from: ricepig on December 23, 2015, 07:44:52 pm
We had golf ball size hall just south of Jonesboro today. I saw this on twitter a few minutes ago.

https://twitter.com/nash_thomas22/status/679830139539046400

We had some baseball sized hail east of des arc, yesterday, but I haven't been out to see what it killed. I'm sure it got some geese and ducks, as there were several in the area.

onebadrubi

How's everyone season going now that we've got plenty of water and good weather?  Oh yeah, the birds are here now too.  We've been doing pretty good the last couple weeks on public land. 

theFlyingHog

We've got too much water to hunt the timber now(we don't like hunting out of our boat). Going down tomorrow to try the rice fields. Hoping a few dumb specks fly too low

hawgwild child

This is one of the worst seasons i have had in a while.  Hoping this weekend is better, but not having good success

IronHog

Lots of water.

Lots of new ducks came in on the front.....some places.
Iron sharpens iron, So one man sharpens another.

HogCard

What are some of the shell brands and loads you guys are using these days?

pick_DA_EAGLES

Quote from: HogCard on January 11, 2016, 04:25:30 pm
What are some of the shell brands and loads you guys are using these days?

I'm cheap, I been shooting federal speed shock 3" 1 1/4 oz #3 $100 case and federal ultra shock 3" 1 1/4 oz #2 $130 a case. And been killing ducks with both loads.

root_hawg

HogCard

What do you think of the Kent Faststeel?  Not too expensive.

theFlyingHog

Quote from: HogCard on January 12, 2016, 09:58:04 am
I shot some of those a while back. The crimped end had extra material and would hang up when ejecting a spent shell. I've been using federal cheapos for a while and they work great.

ricepig

Quote from: theFlyingHog on January 12, 2016, 10:56:38 am
I shot some of those a while back. The crimped end had extra material and would hang up when ejecting a spent shell. I've been using federal cheapos for a while and they work great.

Yeah, I buy whatever the Co-Op has in 3 1/2 and is the best deal by the case, lol. I figure throw up a lot of lead(steel) and hope one of them flys into it.

pick_DA_EAGLES

Quote from: HogCard on January 12, 2016, 09:58:04 am

I shot 3 or 4 shells through my 870 and I didnt have any issues. They shot and killed. I think a good choke is a big part of it

hogfanonthelake

Anybody hunted in the Wynne area recently? I'm taking my son there this weekend just curious if there are any birds.

HogCard

Another question for you guys.  Are you using any after market chokes and what works for you?  I know, patterning is everything but I don't have the money to buy a bunch of shells and chokes to see which patterns the best.  Wish you could try them out before you buy.  lol

pick_DA_EAGLES

Quote from: HogCard on January 13, 2016, 08:27:52 am
Another question for you guys.  Are you using any after market chokes and what works for you?  I know, patterning is everything but I don't have the money to buy a bunch of shells and chokes to see which patterns the best.  Wish you could try them out before you buy.  lol

I'm shooting a patternmaster anaconda, and it seems to shoot everything I've shot through it pretty good. It was about $60

We killed limits this morning in some green timber. What a blast!

ricepig

Quote from: pick_DA_EAGLES on January 13, 2016, 09:01:56 am
I'm shooting a patternmaster anaconda, and it seems to shoot everything I've shot through it pretty good. It was about $60

We killed limits this morning in some green timber. What a blast!

The best hunting in the world to me, I love it when those suckers are locked up and dropping through the tree tops.

pick_DA_EAGLES

Quote from: ricepig on January 13, 2016, 12:31:33 pm
The best hunting in the world to me, I love it when those suckers are locked up and dropping through the tree tops.

One of those spots that they break limbs to get into.

theFlyingHog

I hunted Sunday outside Lodge Corner. Damn spoonbills EVERYWHERE. Never seen so many

theFlyingHog

I have a Patternmaster ER tube that likes 3 1/2". I prefer 3" and mostly shoot a full remchoke. Usually shooting inside 40yds. I'll go to modified when I get in the timber

pick_DA_EAGLES

4 of us went back to same spot this morning and killed our limit of mallards. I carried my son's 11-87 20 guage and killed the heck out of them.

ricepig

Quote from: pick_DA_EAGLES on January 14, 2016, 02:44:03 pm
4 of us went back to same spot this morning and killed our limit of mallards. I carried my son's 11-87 20 guage and killed the heck out of them.

I've got a Browning Belgium made Sweet 16 that was given to me by my Dad, I take it once or twice a year and love it.

pick_DA_EAGLES

Quote from: ricepig on January 14, 2016, 03:59:06 pm
I've got a Browning Belgium made Sweet 16 that was given to me by my Dad, I take it once or twice a year and love it.

It was kinda nice shooting that 20 this morning. It's a newer one bout 3-4 years old. All camo points and aims great. Probably will take it again in the morning.

ricepig

Quote from: pick_DA_EAGLES on January 14, 2016, 04:49:39 pm
It was kinda nice shooting that 20 this morning. It's a newer one bout 3-4 years old. All camo points and aims great. Probably will take it again in the morning.

My youngest has a 20, he wants to shoot my Benelli, lol.

pick_DA_EAGLES

Quote from: ricepig on January 14, 2016, 04:57:32 pm
My youngest has a 20, he wants to shoot my Benelli, lol.

My son doesn't know I'm using his. Lol

Albert Einswine

Quote from: ricepig on January 14, 2016, 03:59:06 pm

My granddad bought my dad a Sweet 16 in '54. Dad passed it to me on my 16th birthday, I passed it to my younger son on his 16th birthday. That's our tradition.
"Funny thing, I become a hell of a good fisherman when the trout decide to commit suicide." ~ John D. Voelker

pick_DA_EAGLES

Quote from: Albert Einswine on January 14, 2016, 07:19:05 pm
My granddad bought my dad a Sweet 16 in '54. Dad passed it to me on my 16th birthday, I passed it to my younger son on his 16th birthday. That's our tradition.

Sweet!

onebadrubi

11-87 with long range pattern master as my backup and a SBe2 with long range pattern master as my primary.

Love kente new silver steel or whatever is that next step up from faststeel. Love the speed, clean shooting powder too. I shoot 3" 2's and 3-1/2 BB. Been through 4-5 cases last season and this season.

We've been hammering them the past two weeks in timber. 100-150 birds killed in timber since Dec 30 or 31st. Had to walk away this week for work but hoping to get back on them tomorrow.

If someone can tell me how to post a video I can share one hell of a sweet sound clip. Had couple hundred landing right on top of us before shooting time. All you hear is them hitting the water 5-10 feet in front of me and then bouncing around. I had a chubby the whole time. 6 full (6 bird) limits by 9 that morning.

onebadrubi

DeltaBoy

Per facebook they are wearing them out down on East Lake in Monroe County.
If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.
-- Major General Patrick Cleburne
The Confederacy had no better soldiers
than the Arkansans--fearless, brave, and oftentimes courageous beyond
prudence. Dickart History of Kershaws Brigade.

root_hawg

Club ended up with just under 700 birds this year, I didn't get to go much with the shoulder injury.  Went and called a bunch but didn't kill a whole bunch.  Pretty down year.

DeltaBoy

Word out of Monroe County was it was a good year.
If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.

pick_DA_EAGLES

Quote from: DeltaBoy on March 11, 2016, 09:24:53 am
Word out of Monroe County was it was a good year.

It was a good one on the Prairie and Woodruff county line. Just a little north of Monroe County.

DeltaBoy

Quote from: pick_DA_EAGLES on March 12, 2016, 12:10:13 pm
It was a good one on the Prairie and Woodruff county line. Just a little north of Monroe County.

It good to hear the Delta had a great year duck hunting.   Dad said at 71 he retired from 90% of his duck hunting.