Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

dang cold temps

Started by GolfNut57, December 28, 2017, 09:17:46 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

GolfNut57

All of this near freezing to sub freezing weather is bumming me out. Having to lay off golf for more than a week or two really sucks! I hear it is going to be a LONG winter.  :(
"Golf is deceptively simple and endlessly complicated; it satisfies the soul and frustrates the intellect. It is at the same time rewarding and maddening – and it is without a doubt the greatest game mankind has ever invented." Arnold Palmer.

BR

Stay warm everyone, Think we can get in 18 today... Tee Time not needed. Make today count, do it up right. Winter rules, play the ball up.. Must use a Bright colored ball to save time looking for it.. Beer Cart will not be running.. Use Frozen Ponds to your advantage.. 

Moila CC , St. Joseph MO,  #1 & #10 Tee Box

"Cause I love Cajun martinis and playin' afternoon golf"

BR

Quote from: sevenof400 on December 29, 2017, 08:58:08 am
The heavy stuff isn't due for quite some time....
As frozen as the ground is, 300 yards drives would not be an Issue...

cc

We need a week of it not getting above 25 in S Arkansas to kill red banded stink bugs so we can afford to grow soybeans.  And knock back fire ants for a while.

BR

Quote from: cc on December 29, 2017, 09:56:08 am
We need a week of it not getting above 25 in S Arkansas to kill red banded stink bugs so we can afford to grow soybeans.  And knock back fire ants for a while.
Up here in NW Missouri we will of had 14 days of below 32 and 4-5 with of w/c of -1 to -30 when this all breaks..Sunday am low is suppose to be -14 without wind chill.  Jan 7th is the next day scheduled to hit 32, we be killing some bugs.

ricepig

Quote from: cc on December 29, 2017, 09:56:08 am

Going to be pretty close to that, at least in NEA.

cc

Quote from: BR on December 29, 2017, 09:59:58 am
Up here in NW Missouri we will of had 14 days of below 32 and 4-5 with of w/c of -1 to -30 when this all breaks..Sunday am low is suppose to be -14 without wind chill.  Jan 7th is the next day scheduled to hit 32, we be killing some bugs.

Yes I bet so.  I always get questions about how cold to wipe out mosquitoes.  I remind them that they are in Minnesota, so best to hope for dry summer. The red banded has moved in from Brazil to S Louisiana and now up to past I-40 with mild winters.  They were not getting up here till after most beans were done till it has been warm enough for them to overwinter in S Ark.  I did my thesis work on them.  I had to have research on them translated from Portuguese to English.  Fun days.

clutch

Quote from: cc on December 29, 2017, 11:15:20 am
Yes I bet so.  I always get questions about how cold to wipe out mosquitoes.  I remind them that they are in Minnesota, so best to hope for dry summer. The red banded has moved in from Brazil to S Louisiana and now up to past I-40 with mild winters.  They were not getting up here till after most beans were done till it has been warm enough for them to overwinter in S Ark.  I did my thesis work on them.  I had to have research on them translated from Portuguese to English.  Fun days.

I always get a kick out of the mosquito thing as well. Alaska has about the biggest mosquito problem you can find, no way Arkansas winter is going to kill them.

HognitiveDissonance

Quote from: sevenof400 on December 31, 2017, 09:58:41 am
Mosquito or black fly?
Was talking to a lady in Hot Springs Village one time who was from Minnesota. Was talking about how hot it was and saying they didn't have to deal with that up there. She corrected me and said it was hotter than I thought it got up there. Then she mentioned the mosquitoes would carry you away they were so large.