Hogz87

March 12, 2017, 02:12:30 pm Last Edit: March 12, 2017, 03:17:05 pm by Hogz87
March 12, 2017:  L, 82-65
January 7, 2017:  L, 97-71
January 21, 2016:  L, 80-66
March 15, 2015:  L, 78-63
February 28, 2015:  L, 84-67

Average Margin of Defeat: 17.8 PPG

Meanwhile, over the last three years we've seen other SEC teams with equal, or maybe even worse, talent than us play Kentucky close and even beat them.  Georgia took them to the wire twice.  Alabama played them close in the semi's.  Tennessee beat them.  Vandy took Kentucky down to the wire/final minute twice.  And those are examples from just this season.  I'm sure you can find just as many other examples of teams on our level over the last three seasons that have played Kentucky close through the final minute or even beat them.  Meanwhile, Kentucky is on a five game run of making sure the game was in hand way, WAY before the final minute.

moses_007

I don't think we've beaten them since Qualls last second dunk at BWA.

HawgnCorona

Is that it? Is that all you have?!!!
Wisdom is the principal thing; therefore get wisdom: and with all your getting, get understanding." --   Proverbs 4:7

"Live justly, love mercy and to walk humbly with the Most High."-- Micah 6:8

hogfooey

So what is it that you are trying to say?
If the Hogs are wrong!  I don't want to be right!

LRHawg

The two games this year, we did play bad for big stretches of the game, but when you can't touch their players on their end but they call everything on your end, well, blowouts tend to happen.

WorfHog

We should go buy us some blue chips,put them in a luxury resort and not make them go to class.

TNhawgfan

I'd rather be dead than be a Vol

WaltKowalski

KY is the highest paying school in CBB and cannot even get a one seed.

FrankCourtneyNicodemus

LR_Matt

It's their league.... wish we had a coach who could keep up.

hog golf

We gonna do what we do, meanwhile, other teams game plan. Slow the game down, play zone, keep them out of the lane, block out, you know.... Basketball stuff. We just want to run with them and can- for about 6 minutes.
I'd kill for a Nobel Peace Prize

Chivas

Came to echo previous sentiment. We're not beating Kentucky...yet. Still got bigger fish to fry as Anderson continues to rebuild the brand. We're getting there.

FrankCourtneyNicodemus

Quote from: hog golf on March 12, 2017, 02:21:34 pm
We gonna do what we do, meanwhile, other teams game plan. Slow the game down, play zone, keep them out of the lane, block out, you know.... Basketball stuff. We just want to run with them and can- for about 6 minutes.

Any more new and hard-hitting insight where that came from you'd like to share? 

Am I the only one just happy we made it to the SECCG?

3kgthog

Because Cal has MA pegged. He said just as much in his pre-game speech that ESPN showed. He knew we'd panic under pressure and he knew we'd start jacking threes. That's what happened and no real effort or change in plan was needed by UK.

Killean

Playing 5 v 8 against professional players is what it is.

Kentucky hasn't won anything legitimately since.. not sure.. before Rupp? lol
Everyone is born with the right to exist. When you become a Nazi you give up that right.

Ironhawg

I'm pretty frustrated with our recent performance against Kentucky too, but I try to look at it from a standpoint of where we started this trip.  We started this trip as a program being really, really bad for a long, long time.  We are starting to get better, but we are still behind Kentucky, which is the best college team money can buy.  We have reached the point where we are competing with the rest of the conference.  Maybe when we start getting a little bit better athletes we start competing with Kentucky again.  It's a journey.  We are finally out of the ditch, but we're still not ready to drive in the fast lane yet.

cram224

Quote from: Chivas on March 12, 2017, 02:22:48 pm
Came to echo previous sentiment. We're not beating Kentucky...yet. Still got bigger fish to fry as Anderson continues to rebuild the brand. We're getting there.
Please what is the brand MA is trying achieve?

NotSoFastMyFriend

Quote from: WorfHog on March 12, 2017, 02:16:12 pm
We should go buy us some blue chips,put them in a luxury resort and not make them go to class.
Exactly - "business decisions" and all that. :puke:

rude1

If KY is the standard we are trying to achieve, we are light years away from that standard. We are being taken to the wood shed every game against them now. Hopefully next year this turns when we have a team of more seniors who contribute that have been through the wars.

ShadowHawg

I think it just shows their players don't take us for granted the way they do other teams in the conference.

That tends to happen when you are the last team to sweep them in a season.

KentuckyFan

Say it what is it.  MA's style doesn't bode well against a team like UK who usually has good guards and athletic bigs.

The teams that give UK fits are the teams who make them grind all game on defense and can make offensive plays when needed.

That's exactly what Alabama does and both the UK games against Bama were borefest grinders.

Danny J

Quote from: KentuckyFan on March 12, 2017, 02:46:05 pm
Say it what is it.  MA's style doesn't bode well against a team like UK who usually has good guards and athletic bigs.

The teams that give UK fits are the teams who make them grind all game on defense and can make offensive plays when needed.

That's exactly what Alabama does and both the UK games against Bama were borefest grinders.
Yep...it's why I want to stay away from KU and UNC in the dance. It's why we lost twice to UK and the Gators. We don't have the talent yet to compete with those teams playing full court/fast break basketball. We will be closer next year in terms of talent seeing the court but imagine our record will be a bit worse which isn't negative just the way it is.

HiggiePiggy

What is the point of this thread? Sometimes a team is just better than us or up to facing us more than others.  It was the SEC championship game. Kentucky came with their A games and refs.  It's similar to us and Alabama in football. We haven't beaten them in a decade, but ole miss has twice.

Kentucky is full of first round picks every year. It is not easy to beat that. Some teams catch them on off nights. It just happens that Arkansas used to be their rivals in the SEC back in the 90s.
If a man speaks and no woman is around to hear him, is he still wrong?

forrest city joe

Quote from: Hogz87 on March 12, 2017, 02:12:30 pm

Meanwhile, over the last three years we've seen other SEC teams with equal, or maybe even worse, talent than us play Kentucky close and even beat them.  Georgia took them to the wire twice.  Alabama played them close in the semi's.  Tennessee beat them.  Vandy took Kentucky down to the wire/final minute twice.  And those are examples from just this season.  I'm sure you can find just as many other examples of teams on our level over the last three seasons that have played Kentucky close through the final minute or even beat them.  Meanwhile, Kentucky is on a five game run of making sure the game was in hand way, WAY before the final minute.
It's called talent.they have a lot more than we do. and that's why they keep beating us.throw in the refs,and we have no chance.

Hogz87

Quote from: forrest city joe on March 12, 2017, 03:54:48 pm
It's called talent.they have a lot more than we do. and that's why they keep beating us.throw in the refs,and we have no chance.
I'm not denying that they have more talent than we do.  It's just frustrating that over the last three seasons we can't even hang with Kentucky but teams with similar talent as us can give Kentucky a fight every once in awhile and, occasionally, although rarely, beat them.

BallHog1

You need to seriously stick to hour Nancy act about the players behavior and leave this alone. Your testimony today has proven to all that you are a true fan of women's flag football and out of your league when a discussion of men's sports is happening.

Hogz87

Quote from: BallHog1 on March 12, 2017, 04:05:17 pm
You need to seriously stick to hour Nancy act about the players behavior and leave this alone. Your testimony today has proven to all that you are a true fan of women's flag football and out of your league when a discussion of men's sports is happening.
Really?  So I don't agree with our players immature actions at the end of a game means I'm a Nancy?

Do you have kids?  If Dusty Hannahs or Moses Kingsley was your son, would you be telling them after the game that what they did is ok because Kentucky had it coming because the refs had been on Kentucky's side the whole game?  I'm just trying to figure out why so many of our fans are trying to justify what Moses and Dusty did.

BallHog1

Quote from: Hogz87 on March 12, 2017, 04:08:44 pm
Really?  So I don't agree with our players immature actions at the end of a game means I'm a Nancy?

Do you have kids?  If Dusty Hannahs or Moses Kingsley was your son, would you be telling them after the game that what they did is ok because Kentucky had it coming because the refs had been on Kentucky's side the whole game?  I'm just trying to figure out why so many of our fans are trying to justify what Moses and Dusty did.
I'll answer the first question. Yes, really.

Hogz87

Quote from: BallHog1 on March 12, 2017, 04:09:52 pm
I'll answer the first question. Yes, really.
And completely ignore the second question.  So I can assume you'd be giving your son a hug and telling him what he did was warranted if he acted like Hannahs and Kingsley acted at the end of the game?

forrest city joe

Quote from: Hogz87 on March 12, 2017, 04:03:33 pm
I'm not denying that they have more talent than we do.  It's just frustrating that over the last three seasons we can't even hang with Kentucky but teams with similar talent as us can give Kentucky a fight every once in awhile and, occasionally, although rarely, beat them.
UGA hangs with KY because they shorten the game with their slow style of play.yet we beat UGA a lot.KY having all those MBA players is why.along with the BS refs.

BallHog1

Quote from: Hogz87 on March 12, 2017, 04:11:36 pm
And completely ignore the second question.  So I can assume you'd be giving your son a hug and telling him what he did was warranted if he acted like Hannahs and Kingsley acted at the end of the game?
I'd tell my son there is a point where you stand up for yourself and your brothers. Understand there will be consequences and accept them but don't be treated like a doormat or you'll become one.
Does that work for an answer or is it too rough?

Stewhog 11

Two years ago Kentucky went undefeated, and last year we were in total rebuild. They are on a streak against us, but dude come on, we had won 4 out of the last 5 before this streak. I bet we beat them at the Bud next year. Chill out. Go get some ice cream or something and watch the selection show. There's no need for this.

Hogz87

Quote from: rob99SS on March 12, 2017, 04:11:20 pm
A thread to belittle Coach Anderson.
It's not.  It's really, really not.  I'm perfectly fine with Mike Anderson as our head basketball coach.  He acquitted himself nicely this year and deserves a raise and an extension.  I'm just frustrated by the fact that this is the third season in a row we haven't been able to even hang with Kentucky.

Letsroll1200

Hogz87

Quote from: BallHog1 on March 12, 2017, 04:15:00 pm
I'd tell my son there is a point where you stand up for yourself and your brothers. Understand there will be consequences and accept them but don't be treated like a doormat or you'll become one.
That's fine, but there's better, much more mature ways to do that than what we saw from Moses and Dusty today.  What they did is forgivable, but it's not warranted nor justifiable.

GoHogs1091

Well, today's outcome was the difference between a possible 2 seed and a possible one-and-done 8 or 9 seed.

There are teams in the SEC who are catching up to Kentucky.  Alabama only lost to Kentucky by 5 points yesterday, and Mississippi State only lost to Kentucky by 7 points in January.  Kentucky was fortunate to have won both games.

k.c.hawg

Just sitting on the deck with a cold beer and a hot tequila watching the razorbacks roam.

rwspear

Quote from: BallHog1 on March 12, 2017, 04:15:00 pm

BallHog1

Quote from: Hogz87 on March 12, 2017, 04:19:33 pm
That's fine, but there's better, much more mature ways to do that than what we saw from Moses and Dusty today.  What they did is forgivable, but it's not warranted nor justifiable.
You're right, we should just concede when we play the great Kentucky.
Should have just flown home yesterday like good little boys.
Or we could just learn to take our whipping and not resist.....

Hogz87

Quote from: Letsroll1200 on March 12, 2017, 04:18:21 pm
Exactly!! Taking a shot at MA
It's not.  I didn't even mention Mike Anderson's name or take a direct shot at him.  If that's how this thread came off, though, I apologize because that was not my intent.

Kevin McPherson

Hogs are 0-5 vs. FL and 0-5 vs. KY the last 3 years. Hogs have played 2 of those 10 games at BWA, 5 games on the road, & 3 games at SECT. 2 of the KY losses were against a team that did not lose a game until the Final Four, and 3 of the losses (1 vs. KY, 2 vs. FL) were suffered by last year's 16-16 team. The other 5 losses? Hogs played 1 of those games at home (against FL in Dec this year).

Think about that for a minute. Not only did those teams have better players, but they didn't have to come to BWA but once each in the past 3 seasons.

Hogz87

Quote from: BallHog1 on March 12, 2017, 04:23:15 pm
You're right, we should just concede when we play the great Kentucky.
Not what I said and that's never been the point I'm trying to make.  I don't think we should just concede when we play Kentucky.

QuoteOr we could just learn to take our whipping and not resist.....
Yes, we should resist from taking cheap physical shots at our opponent in a game we're losing just because we're frustrated.  That I agree with.  We don't have to just "take our whippin" but we don't have to not take it by showing our frustration in the manner we did today.

BallHog1

Hollywood870

Well you should be tickled pink then. Congratulations.

Hollywood870

Quote from: KentuckyFan on March 12, 2017, 02:46:05 pm

Well we are finally recruiting better so we'll see how it goes. We won't get the rent-a-pros who don't even go to class, but we've got several quality classes lined up.

HogHomer

Quote from: Hogz87 on March 12, 2017, 04:27:00 pm
Not what I said and that's never been the point I'm trying to make.  I don't think we should just concede when we play Kentucky.

Yes, we should resist from taking cheap physical shots at our opponent in a game we're losing just because we're frustrated.  That I agree with.  We don't have to just "take our whippin" but we don't have to not take it by showing our frustration in the manner we did today.
You play it off as if it was all because our guys were frustrated from losing. That's not the entire picture. Kentucky was being physical the entire game getting no calls and when we tried to tighten up and play their game we get called. Then there was blatant taunting in front of the ref not called. If you don't understand the mindset of a athlete in the later stages of the game then idk what to tell you.

Personally I'm excited because the fire that we saw from the team at the end of the game is what carries a team through a bracket like we have.

Boss Hog in the Arkansas

Our strength is keeping the pace up and scoring in transition, Kentucky just so happens to be even better at it. Its like a great white shark being the top of the food chain until he runs into a killer whale
That's right, you don't want to be the man to replace the man.  You want to be the man to replace Rory Segrest.

BoarnSupremacy

Quote from: hog golf on March 12, 2017, 02:21:34 pm

This

Hogz87

Quote from: HogHomer on March 12, 2017, 05:16:25 pm
You play it off as if it was all because our guys were frustrated from losing. That's not the entire picture. Kentucky was being physical the entire game getting no calls and when we tried to tighten up and play their game we get called. Then there was blatant taunting in front of the ref not called. If you don't understand the mindset of a athlete in the later stages of the game then idk what to tell you.

Personally I'm excited because the fire that we saw from the team at the end of the game is what carries a team through a bracket like we have.
I've never said it was only about being frustrated about losing.  I acknowledge and know that it goes beyond that.  I played competitive sports throughout high school and have coached at various levels since.

What Dusty and Moses did should never be justified.  Forgivable, yes, but not justifiable.  I've tried to make this clear but apparently I'm not doing a good enough job.  That's on me and I apologize.  I started this whole thing off being a little irrational and poorly voicing my frustration but I still feel the same way about the core issue: there's nothing that can excuse or justify what Hannahs and Kingsley did today.  Absolutely nothing.  It was a poor, immature way to handle their emotions and frustrations and it made our school and basketball program look bad. It'll be forgotten and forgiven, as it should be, but that still doesn't excuse what they did.

DeltaBoy

1. They have more talent.
2. Cal always has them ready to play us.
If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.
-- Major General Patrick Cleburne
The Confederacy had no better soldiers
than the Arkansans--fearless, brave, and oftentimes courageous beyond
prudence. Dickart History of Kershaws Brigade.