Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

April 18, 2024, 08:43:01 pm

Reporting Track Times

Started by Peter Porker, February 17, 2017, 01:02:15 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Peter Porker

Should a reporter go by what the kid tells him without looking it up to see if it's accurate when it comes to reporting track times?

I've attached an image of the top 400m times for sophomores last season. There's a name missing that was recently reported as running a 47.00 400m (which is flying!).

Milesplit does an excellent job of posting track times so it's hard to dispute what they've listed.

I shouldn't get annoyed, but it happens in nearly every story.
Quote from: Peter Porker on January 08, 2014, 04:03:21 pm
Notice he says your boy instead of "our coach". Very telling.

I'm not worried. If he recruits like he did here Louisville will fire him in about 5 years.

hawgdavis

Not sure what the point is. Is it somehow football related.

By the way I'm not trying to be a smart ass just truly not following you here.

ricepig

Quote from: hawgdavis on February 17, 2017, 06:13:44 pm

Yeah, doesn't really matter, you run what you run, not what is reported on a website.

Hog Fan from Camden

Who are we talking about here?

Peter Porker

Quote from: hawgdavis on February 17, 2017, 06:13:44 pm

It's in an article recently written about a possible recruit.

I'm not worried. If he recruits like he did here Louisville will fire him in about 5 years.

Richard Davenport

Quote from: Peter Porker on February 17, 2017, 06:37:54 pm
It's in an article recently written about a possible recruit.

Just spill it Jason. You're the always accusing me so say it.

Bryson said he ran the 47.0 at a qualifier. I have no idea what mile split goes by. Do they only count finals? No idea.

I reported Maleek Barley running a 10.54 as a sophomore because that's what he told me. His father confirmed. Did he do it in the prelims and it wasn't recorded? I have no idea.

I'm sure you'll tell me.

tophawg19

to be honest Richard D i'd rather see 10 yard times , 20 yard times , shuttle etc, . I'm darned if I ever saw a football player break off a 400 yard run . Track times don't relate because track starts require a good technique to get off the blocks .
if you ain't a hawg you ain't chitlins

HOGINTENNESSEE

factchecker

WORK FOR IT
PLAN ON IT
EARN IT
OMAHOGS

pigtrino

That would be the Arkansas state record.

Deep Shoat

All Gas, No Brakes!

pigtrino

It might have been a 47 high split in a relay too. The running start really helps.

hawgdavis

Quote from: Richard Davenport on February 17, 2017, 06:48:19 pm
Just spill it Jason. You're the always accusing me so say it.

Bryson said he ran the 47.0 at a qualifier. I have no idea what mile split goes by. Do they only count finals? No idea.

I reported Maleek Barley running a 10.54 as a sophomore because that's what he told me. His father confirmed. Did he do it in the prelims and it wasn't recorded? I have no idea.

I'm sure you'll tell me.

Get him Richard lol

hawgdavis

Quote from: tophawg19 on February 17, 2017, 07:01:49 pm
to be honest Richard D i'd rather see 10 yard times , 20 yard times , shuttle etc, . I'm darned if I ever saw a football player break off a 400 yard run . Track times don't relate because track starts require a good technique to get off the blocks .

This is good lol

presidenthog

I'm seriously confused what this is about.

jgphillips3

Wait, is this the dog track or the ponies?

3kgthog

He's no Tanner English, so this thread is pointless.

pigtrino

Quote from: presidenthog on February 18, 2017, 12:14:22 am
I'm seriously confused what this is about.

It's about the infatuation with embellished running times, all the 4.4s that never were.

ricepig

Quote from: jgphillips3 on February 18, 2017, 12:48:34 am
Wait, is this the dog track or the ponies?

Big difference, and what happens when the dog catches Rusty?

Peter Porker

It's about super elite times constantly being reported  with no vetting and Richard writes them like there's tons of sophomores running 47.00 400m or guys running 10.3 in the 100m. It is rare for high school kids to casually run the times that are reported. Follow track, Richard, and you'll see real times. According to Richard, all these kids are faster than Shabazz.

You want to know what milesplit reports? Get a membership. You'll have access to race videos, live timing, etc.

Now, I'm just venting. I've brought this up before to Richard and I know all of yall will come to his rescue and defend him. That's fine. I just want accuracy. It'd be like reporting the kid is 6-7 250 lbs and runs a 4.3 laser and as a senior he ran for 4,000 yards and 100 TDs while throwing for 10,000 yards and 200 TDs. It's not accurate and it should be. I know most don't care about track like I do, so it doesn't matter. I'm not sure why the kids and parents fudge on times anyway. Well, I guess they do about forty times so why not track times?

Ok mods, trash can.

ricepig

Quote from: Peter Porker on February 18, 2017, 08:53:53 am
It's about super elite times constantly being reported  with no vetting and Richard writes them like there's tons of sophomores running 47.00 400m or guys running 10.3 in the 100m. It is rare for high school kids to casually run the times that are reported. Follow track, Richard, and you'll see real times. According to Richard, all these kids are faster than Shabazz.

You want to know what milesplit reports? Get a membership. You'll have access to race videos, live timing, etc.

Now, I'm just venting. I've brought this up before to Richard and I know all of yall will come to his rescue and defend him. That's fine. I just want accuracy. It'd be like reporting the kid is 6-7 250 lbs and runs a 4.3 laser and as a senior he ran for 4,000 yards and 100 TDs while throwing for 10,000 yards and 200 TDs. It's not accurate and it should be. I know most don't care about track like I do, so it doesn't matter. I'm not sure why the kids and parents fudge on times anyway. Well, I guess they do about forty times so why not track times?

Ok mods, trash can.

So, recruiting writers are to verify every thing a recruit tells them? Why don't you just do like the rest of the world, and take what is said with the proverbial "grain of salt" and chill.

PorkRinds

Quote from: ricepig on February 18, 2017, 09:00:59 am
So, recruiting writers are to verify every thing a recruit tells them? Why don't you just do like the rest of the world, and take what is said with the proverbial "grain of salt" and chill.

Can't. This is serious bidniss ya know?

gmarv

Quote from: ricepig on February 18, 2017, 09:00:59 am
Really if we,re gonna start b*#ching about Richard giving us stuff on recruits then we have really reached the bottom rung of fandom.

Cubbie08

Recruiting people just report what people tell them. For years all these recruits have run 4.4's in high school, but we all know it's not true, look at the lack of speed on the team. I don't understand what the big deal is.

Grizzlyfan

These recruiting guys consider themselves reporters and many of them charge very good money for the information they sell.  So yes, I would say they should confirm any kind of factual statement they put in print.  If they can't verify it, then generalize the statement or state very clearly that the information they are printing can't be confirmed.

southarkhog06

Quote from: Grizzlyfan on February 23, 2017, 11:21:22 am
These recruiting guys consider themselves reporters and many of them charge very good money for the information they sell.  So yes, I would say they should confirm any kind of factual statement they put in print.  If they can't verify it, then generalize the statement or state very clearly that the information they are printing can't be confirmed.
If RD was reporting on T&F recruiting you would have a point, if he starts misreporting guys season stats and camps attended ill be irritated.

I think the bigger picture here is that all the recruiting forum regulars are tired of Porkers Track guru superhero crap.

Jackrabbit Hog

Quote from: southarkhog06 on February 23, 2017, 02:53:54 pm
I think the bigger picture here is that all the recruiting forum regulars are tired of Porkers Track guru superhero crap.

I, for one, think that Track guru superheros should be worshiped. 

Love me some old time track meets.
Quote from: JIMMY BOARFFETT on June 29, 2018, 03:47:07 pm
I'm sure it's nothing that a $500 retainer can't fix.  Contact JackRabbit Hog for payment instructions.

ricepig

Quote from: Jackrabbit Hog on February 23, 2017, 03:24:40 pm

You'll have a small circle for your circle jerk......

Jackrabbit Hog

Quote from: ricepig on February 23, 2017, 05:42:16 pm
You'll have a small circle for your circle jerk......

That seems to be a recurring theme with you.  Voice of experience, perhaps?
Quote from: JIMMY BOARFFETT on June 29, 2018, 03:47:07 pm
I'm sure it's nothing that a $500 retainer can't fix.  Contact JackRabbit Hog for payment instructions.

ricepig

Quote from: Jackrabbit Hog on February 23, 2017, 05:51:30 pm
That seems to be a recurring theme with you.  Voice of experience, perhaps?

Hmm....don't think I've ever mentioned it before, you must have me mixed up with one of your cohorts.

jkstock04

Kind of goes along with the theme of height, weight, and 40 times in football. You know what is reported there isn't accurate for the most part...is instead exaggerated.

Not surprised track is the same way.
Thanks for the F Shack. 

Love,

Dirty Mike and the Boys

southarkhog06

Quote from: Jackrabbit Hog on February 23, 2017, 03:24:40 pm

I am not taking anything away from track, I love T&F. The thing is track times are for track, I can watch film and get a general idea of a kids football speed. I don't need someone to come on every thread feuding with people saying "this guy isn't that fast because I'm a track guru and I know".