Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Re: Frank Martin and game prediction

Started by GuvHog, February 15, 2017, 10:48:35 am

Previous topic - Next topic

GuvHog

Quote from: Next1_04 on February 15, 2017, 10:21:46 am
So the moral of the story is to cancel the game tonight, and hire Martin?

I don't agree with canceling the game but I'd take Frank Martin as Hog's head basketball coach anytime. However, he most likely has a clause in his contract preventing him from leaving to take the HC job at any other SEC school so that isn't likely to happen.
Bleeding Razorback Red Since Birth!!!

GuvHog

Quote from: daprospecta on February 15, 2017, 11:04:48 am
Mike Anderson has had a better career at Arkansas than Frank Martin has had at USC-E. Don't believe me? Just watch.

2012–13   South Carolina   14–18   4–14   T–12th   
2013–14   South Carolina   14–20   5–13   13th   
2014–15   South Carolina   17–16   6–12   T–11th   
2015–16   South Carolina   25–9   11–7   T–3rd   NIT Second Round
2016–17   South Carolina   19–4   9–1   1st[10]   

Frank Martin losing seasons = 2, Mike Anderson losing seasons = 0
Frank Martin years to make the tourney and have a good year = year 5, Mike Anderson = year 4

I could go on but you get the idea.  Frank Martin, IMO, would not be an upgrade.  I would go as far as to say Mike would have not gotten a fourth year if he started like Frank Martin did at USC-E.

Now check out Frank Martin's record at Kansas State, a school that had not had a team go to the NCAA Tournament in 15 years when he took over, and stop embarrassing yourself.

Frank Martin inherited a real dumpster fire when he arrived at South Carolina while Mike Anderson inherited a program that was on the upswing when he took over as Hog HC.

GuvHog

Quote from: jjdlc on February 15, 2017, 12:42:17 pm
We were also 7-9 in conference, it was Pel's first year with a winning (barely) record since his first.  I honestly have no idea how we ended up with a NIT invite with that record. 

The APR was better, but we weren't out of the woods by any means, it limited CMA on what he could do roster wise early on.

That top 10 class turned out to be massively overrated. 

I might go as far as to say the pendulum was starting to swing back our direction, but I would hardly call it an upswing.  Nothing about SCs situation was that much worse than what CMA inherited.

Wrong. Frank Martin inherited a true dumpster fire at South Carolina. They hadn't been to the NCAA Tournament in several years and he actually had to run off some players who were locker room cancers then basically start from scratch and almost totally rebuild that program. It was FAR worse than what Mike inherited.

Youngsta71701

Quote from: GuvHog on February 15, 2017, 10:48:35 am
I don't agree with canceling the game but I'd take Frank Martin as Hog's head basketball coach anytime.
Come again... ::). Both did pretty good in the Big12 but Mike has been better overall and in the SEC.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Frank_Martin_(basketball)
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mike_Anderson_(basketball)
"The more things change the more they stay the same"

Youngsta71701

Quote from: GuvHog on February 15, 2017, 11:19:32 am
Now check out Frank Martin's record at Kansas State, a school that had not had a team go to the NCAA Tournament in 15 years when he took over, and stop embarrassing yourself.

Frank Martin inherited a real dumpster fire when he arrived at South Carolina while Mike Anderson inherited a program that was on the upswing when he took over as Hog HC.
Guv, your all over the place. Doing too much to try to make MA look bad. Trust me, it's not a good look. Kansas State was 23-12, 10-6 the year before Frank Martin took over. "Come on man".

Youngsta71701

Quote from: GuvHog on February 15, 2017, 12:20:11 pm
Frank's tenure at Kansas state tells a different story. Besides, Frank inherited a true dumpster fire at South Carolina while Mike inherited a Hog program that was on the upswing.
Why is it so hard for you to understand that 99.9% of new coaches inherit dumpster fires. That's why they are the new coach! Although 23-12, 10-6 in the Big 12 isn't exactly inheriting a dumpter fire. 18-13, 7-9 in the "dreaded" SEC is more like a dumpster fire.

GuvHog

Quote from: Youngsta71701 on February 15, 2017, 01:18:19 pm
Guv, your all over the place. Doing too much to try to make MA look bad. Trust me, it's not a good look. Kansas State was 23-12, 10-6 the year before Frank Martin took over. "Come on man".

As a coach, Mike doesn't need any help looking bad, his record at Arkansas spells that out clearly. I NCAA Tournament bid in 5 years is not close to being good with what he inherited.

GuvHog

Quote from: Youngsta71701 on February 15, 2017, 01:23:53 pm
Why is it so hard for you to understand that 99.9% of new coaches inherit dumpster fires. That's why they are the new coach! Although 23-12, 10-6 in the Big 12 isn't exactly inheriting a dumpter fire. 18-13, 7-9 in the SEC says dumpster fire.

No, as bad as you want to believe it, Mike did not inherit a dumpster fire when he arrived at the U of A. Frank Martin most certainly did inherit a dumpster fire when he took over at South Carolina.

Jonteviosk

Quote from: jjdlc on February 15, 2017, 10:45:39 am
So, fire a coach that has been to 1 NCAAT in 5 years (7 appearances overall) to hire a coach that has been to 0 NCAAT in 4 years (4 appearances overall).  Sounds like a recipe for firing another coach and repeating the cycle in 5 years to me.

That's what all the fairweathers want anyways. What will happen if they let CMA go. Repetitive cycle.
You never know in advance what the outcome of any given situation is so either get busy living or get busy dying.

Youngsta71701

Quote from: GuvHog on February 15, 2017, 01:30:20 pm
No, as bad as you want to believe it, Mike did not inherit a dumpster fire when he arrived at the U of A. Frank Martin most certainly did inherit a dumpster fire when he took over at South Carolina.
I'm not goinna deny that he took over a dumpster fire at South Carolina but you can't make me believe he took over a dumpster fire at Kansas State like you stated in one of your earlier post. 23-12, 10-6 in the "all mighty" Big 12 is not a dumpster fire.

Jonteviosk

Quote from: GuvHog on February 15, 2017, 01:26:04 pm
As a coach, Mike doesn't need any help looking bad, his record at Arkansas spells that out clearly. I NCAA Tournament bid in 5 years is not close to being good with what he inherited.

Yeah what he inherited a limited returing group who played their hearts out and a severely overrated class. Not to mention a huge mess with the grades. Btw Pel isn't even coaching so much for your hero. Frank Martin is back out of the tourney and back to sucking once Thornwell leaves.
You never know in advance what the outcome of any given situation is so either get busy living or get busy dying.

daprospecta

Quote from: GuvHog on February 15, 2017, 01:26:04 pm
But it's O.K. to go to your first tourney in five years if you did inherit a dumpster fire? I'm sorry to tell you this but if he is as good as you suggest, it would not take him five years.  Mike lost his hat last year in players and still managed to break even.  What was Frank's excuse in year 2?  He's an above average-good coach just like Mike has been since he's been on the the hill outside of one year. 

20gauge

Quote from: Jonteviosk on February 15, 2017, 01:33:15 pm
That's what all the fairweathers want anyways. What will happen if they let CMA go. Repetitive cycle.
So just stay on the bubble for consistency. Got it.

Jonteviosk

Quote from: GuvHog on February 15, 2017, 10:48:35 am
I don't agree with canceling the game but I'd take Frank Martin as Hog's head basketball coach anytime. However, he most likely has a clause in his contract preventing him from leaving to take the HC job at any other SEC school so that isn't likely to happen.

Seriously why don't you go cheer for South Carolina and leave the Hogs to the real fans.

GuvHog

Quote from: Youngsta71701 on February 15, 2017, 01:35:37 pm
I'm not goinna deny that he took over a dumpster fire at South Carolina but you can't make me believe he took over a dumpster fire at Kansas State like you stated in one of your earlier post. 23-12, 10-6 in the "all mighty" Big 12 is not a dumpster fire.

Actually Frank Martin was an assistant under Huggins at KState and was promoted to HC when Huggins left so he actually had a great deal to do with building that 23-12, 10-6 team the year before he took over.

Jonteviosk

Quote from: GuvHog on February 15, 2017, 01:41:37 pm
Actually Frank Martin was an assistant under Huggins at KState and was promoted to HC when Huggins left so he actually had a great deal to do with building that 23-12, 10-6 team the year before he took over.

Yet they were a dumpster fire you contradict yourself...try again

Youngsta71701

Quote from: Jonteviosk on February 15, 2017, 01:40:25 pm
Seriously why don't you go cheer for South Carolina and leave the Hogs to the real fans.
Don't worry about him Jonteviosk. I'm finally starting to realize my buddy Guv don't really have a clue. ;). He just spits out things to try to make Mike look bad before doing some research. Even if we go to the NCAA tournament this year and win a game or two he'll still be dogging Mike. No amount of winning is going to change that.

Biggus Piggus

Martin was Huggins's ace recruiter. That's why he got promoted. He took over a good team + good recruiting pipeline. It was as though all Huggins had to do was touch that place, and they rose to another level.
[CENSORED]!

Youngsta71701

Uh huh...so now he also takes the "dumpster fire" credit away from Bob Huggins. Man, Frank is a credit stealer. He should be ashamed of himself.

GuvHog

Quote from: Jonteviosk on February 15, 2017, 01:43:51 pm
Yet they were a dumpster fire you contradict yourself...try again

How did I contradict myself?? I said KSU hadn't gone to the NCAA Tournament in years when Frank Martin arrived on campus. Frank arrived on the KSU campus as Huggins assistant, not as HC.

GuvHog

Quote from: Youngsta71701 on February 15, 2017, 01:46:24 pm
Uh huh...so now he also takes the "dumpster fire" credit away from Bob Huggins. Man, Frank is a credit stealer. He should be ashamed of himself.

I refer you to reply #17 in this thread. Biggus knows what he is talking about.

The OTR

My mods have done a good job on this collection of posts

Excellent work

My mods