Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Who stays after a coaching change?

Started by razorhog52, February 07, 2017, 10:55:14 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

razorhog52

Honest question, trash if you want. Do we need a Hawk insider on the new staff to hold on to everyone?

ADavisTheGOAT

I think they all stay. Bill Ingram will tell them all to stick.
Razorbacks | Redskins | Pelicans | LA Tech

hogwood

Quote from: razorhog52 on February 07, 2017, 10:55:14 pm
Honest question, trash if you want. Do we need a Hawk insider on the new staff to hold on to everyone?

That would be a good idea. I'd be most worried about losing Khalil Garland. He was committed to Memphis before until this staff turned him around and Pastner was fired. He may look elsewhere.

Hawg Red

I think all will stay. They all want to play together and Arkansas is the only school where they can do that.

The_Iceman

Make a good hire, and they all will stay.

King Kong

Letsroll1200

Hall might stay. Garland and Gafford are gone. If Mike is hired someplace else in the south all three will follow Mike Anderson to his next school. I really believe that if Mike is fired LSU will come after Mike Anderson. He has done well with getting players from Louisiana and Scotty is from Louisiana.

jry04

Quote from: Letsroll1200 on February 08, 2017, 12:42:03 pm
Hall might stay. Garland and Gafford are gone. If Mike is hired someplace else in the south all three will follow Mike Anderson to his next school. I really believe that if Mike is fired LSU will come after Mike Anderson. He has done well with getting players from Louisiana and Scotty is from Louisiana.
Gafford has been all Hog since day 1. He is similar to a Portis. Garland is the only one who was ever on the fence. The good thing is, those guys signed. Florida refused to let Allen out of his  LOI when he requested it, and they ended up convincing him to stay. With the right coach, and the 2018 class coming in, I highly doubt we lose any of the signed recruits just months before they will be reporting to campus. The recruiting process ended for Gafford so long ago that I cannot imagine him requesting a release.

HawgAdvocate

"Done well" = Signing three players, among 30 signees, in six seasons. Dee Wagner and Adrio Bailey don't exactly scream recruiting 'success.'
"The supreme benevolent force of Hogville, who is impervious to pervasive form of confirmation bias, which is inherent to ALL human beings" - intelligence 4/4/16
I used to argue with HA about how Pel ran the basketball team.  I've since learned to like and respect him.  In fact, I'd go as far to say that HA is well connected or extremely perceptive. - Porkatarian, 11/7/12

Letsroll1200

Quote from: jry04 on February 08, 2017, 01:55:43 pm
Gafford has been all Hog since day 1. He is similar to a Portis. Garland is the only one who was ever on the fence. The good thing is, those guys signed. Florida refused to let Allen out of his  LOI when he requested it, and they ended up convincing him to stay. With the right coach, and the 2018 class coming in, I highly doubt we lose any of the signed recruits just months before they will be reporting to campus. The recruiting process ended for Gafford so long ago that I cannot imagine him requesting a release.

You guys are so out of touch with whats going on outside of NWA its kind of scary.

Hawg Red

Quote from: Letsroll1200 on February 08, 2017, 02:45:06 pm
You guys are so out of touch with whats going on outside of NWA its kind of scary.

Dan Gafford isn't going to a C-USA school.

klp1

Quote from: Hawg Red on February 08, 2017, 03:04:32 pm

Gafford, if he opened things up, would be poached by a blue-blood type program.  Perry would also.  These guys would have options.  I dont think a Pelphrey style hire would keep them. 

Hawg Red

Quote from: klp1 on February 08, 2017, 03:40:51 pm
Gafford, if he opened things up, would be poached by a blue-blood type program.  Perry would also.  These guys would have options.  I dont think a Pelphrey style hire would keep them.

Agreed.

That's why I don't see him following Mike to C-USA or AAC.

HardingHog

I think all current commits stay committed. They all appear to be committed to ARKANSAS and not Mike Anderson. They always talk about turning Arkansas around, and usually don't make any mention of doing that with Anderson. Sure, they might be disappointed if he's gone, but if we get a good new coach here then I don't think there's any fear in losing any of them

King Kong

Please on all accounts.  Atleast try to get something correct

poloprince

Quote from: HardingHog on February 08, 2017, 04:13:14 pm
I think all current commits stay committed. They all appear to be committed to ARKANSAS and not Mike Anderson. They always talk about turning Arkansas around, and usually don't make any mention of doing that with Anderson. Sure, they might be disappointed if he's gone, but if we get a good new coach here then I don't think there's any fear in losing any of them

lol don't kid yourself man. Those kids committed to MA if he leaves all of them will as well.  You heard it hear first
$PoLoPrInCe$

King Kong

Quote from: poloprince on February 08, 2017, 04:57:16 pm
lol don't kid yourself man. Those kids committed to MA if he leaves all of them will as well.  You heard it hear first

I hear Kevaughn will ask out of his NLI if Billy leaves

RaisinHog

Idk about this year's class but the one for next year I'm.pretty sure your right I think that's mostly a fitz hill and MA buddy deal .. I would think we would loose several of those ..

Edit.. obviously if we could bring in a big name this may not be the case but honestly who the hell wants to come to Arkansas and coach this mess.. we are looking at another up and comer type deal .. and the sad thing is alot of ppl don't understand that and I guess figure coach k or bill self or maybe even coach cal will be coming in ..

lefty08

So, from this thread I've learned nobody knows.  Cool
Re: So far the UC press conference is hilarious   Reply
Losing gracefully isn't taught in second-tier programs. See Arkansas, Cincinnati, et al.
3/21 8:11 PM | IP: Logged

Youngsta71701

Quote from: Hawg Red on February 08, 2017, 03:04:32 pm
If Mike gets fired he's not going to a smaller school. He's going somewhere like LSU then he's going to come back and beat our ass! And those kids are going with him. I think you need to read the Reggie Perry thread.
"The more things change the more they stay the same"

Youngsta71701

Quote from: HardingHog on February 08, 2017, 04:13:14 pm
Why do you think they want to come turn Arkansas around? Because Mike Anderson is the coach. Most kids don't commit to a school these days. They build relationship with the coach and then they commit to the school that coach is at.

Hawg Red

This pretty much guarantees that all of them will stay.

Hawg Red

Quote from: Youngsta71701 on February 09, 2017, 07:12:32 am
If Mike gets fired he's not going to a smaller school. He's going somewhere like LSU then he's going to come back and beat our ass! And those kids are going with him. I think you need to read the Reggie Perry thread.

Those kids aren't going with him.

And for the record, I don't care if they do. I'm more concerned, at this point, with having a coach that can properly coach the team. If it costs us these recruits (which it won't, not all of them anyway), so be it. I see some coaches out there that I have full confidence would keep them all in-house. Those kids and families themselves don't even know what they would do if Anderson were fired because they haven't had to face the reality of scrapping the plans they've had months (and in Gafford's case, years).

TrueBlue

This isn't the University of Mike Anderson. It's the University of Arkansas.

If they don't stick after a coaching change, they were never "committed" to making the Razorbacks prominent again. We need players that want to be "Razorbacks", not to come here because of some HC that runs an undisciplined, chaotic, lack of preparation basketball program that will never achieve the type of success that we deserve. Hopefully they are not like the Archie Goodwin's and the Malik Monk's of the world, which are in it for themselves, not for team success.

Hawg Red

It is not uncommon for a school to lose a recruit, maybe two after a coaching change. It is, however, uncommon for a school to lose an entire recruiting class. Especially one made up entirely of in-state players!!!

These kids all want to play together. What school is going to take all 5 of them on? I'm sure there has been talk between the 2017 and 2018 players as well. So make that number 8 if you add in the 2017 recruits. It's just not going to happen. If there is a new coach, he will have to re-recruit them, of course, but Mike Anderson was able to come in here and keep Pelphrey's vaunted 2011 recruiting class (another reason not to fear losing recruits). Surely an average recruiting coach can keep these kids. Mike Anderson isn't the only good man out there. He isn't the only head coach that they can trust out there.

nwahogfan1

Quote from: razorhog52 on February 07, 2017, 10:55:14 pm
I think if our new coach is the right guy who is nationally recognized then I do not think we lose anyone.  He will have to have a brand name who can recruit the team and recruits.  At least the ones he wants to keep.  Lets face it some players on our team are not playing really hard nosed defense or hard nosed rebounding so maybe he will have to cut bait on one or more of the ones who do not want to buy in to being better less selfish team mates.  We will see. 

But the whole thing is hiring the right guy.  Do not settle and do not go get a up and comer unless he has many years of experience at maintaining a program at a high level. 

jry04

Quote from: Letsroll1200 on February 08, 2017, 02:45:06 pm
Not really. Nothing I said was incorrect. Gafford and Hall will be Hogs regardless. Again, they are signed, so unless they are granted a release it will mot be as easy as opening up their recruitment. Also, as everyone pointed out with Allen, the SEC requires a special waiver for a kid who signed with a SEC school to sign with another SEC school, so if they wantes to go to a UK, UF, A&M, etc it would require more hoops. The 2018 class is who we will have to worry about.

Go ahead and respond letting us know nobody is going to stay and the program is in ruins.

Youngsta71701

February 10, 2017, 07:27:39 am #27 Last Edit: February 13, 2017, 12:54:26 pm by Youngsta71701
Won't be a coaching change after this year.

MountieDawg

Do you seriously believe if MA is fire there is a Power 5 school out there that would hire him after only making the tourney 1 time in the past 6 years.  Ben Howland had a NCAA Championship and he wasn't hired that fast..  Maybe MA could get the #27 recruiting class all to set out a year and see if he gets a job the next year...  They will be done playing college ball before MA gets another Power 5 gig... 
SEC!

jethro

It will not matter.First, MA not fired after this year.  Just will not happen.  Unless there is some major thing that forces it.

Second, depending on the coach (whenever we have an opening), he will re-recruit the players and they can decide if they want to be Razorbacks or not. AND, the new coach may be on other players that fit what he does or are of comparable talent.  I like the players that are committed, but they are not the only players out there.  They will decide what is best for them and the coach will decide what is best for him.  Hopefully, for all concerned, those things align.

That is true whether it is next year or 15 years down the line.
Registered in 2003.

Least post per day average on this board.

hawgfan4life

Quote from: King Kong on February 08, 2017, 05:20:27 pm

FL is the new Ole Miss! 

The_Bionic_Pig

If Arkansas can win 5 more games (including the SEC touney games) this conversion is mute.
█ ▆ ▅ ▄ ▃ ▂ ▁ *Mute*

Jonteviosk

Quote from: King Kong on February 08, 2017, 05:20:27 pm

I also heard this year is over...errr wait no theres 6 games left and Mike Anderson is not getting fired so move on with your life.
You never know in advance what the outcome of any given situation is so either get busy living or get busy dying.

The_Iceman

Quote from: The_Bionic_Pig on February 11, 2017, 11:26:19 pm
If Arkansas can win 5 more games (including the SEC touney games) this conversion is mute.

When a coach loses at 0-win Mizzou and at home to a bad Vandy team, that seems like a lot to wish for. Let hope if what you says doesn't happen, then we will be moving on from Mike.

Jonteviosk

Quote from: The_Iceman on February 12, 2017, 06:40:31 am
When a coach loses at 0-win Mizzou and at home to a bad Vandy team, that seems like a lot to wish for. Let hope if what you says doesn't happen, then we will be moving on from Mike.

Same 0 for Mizz team that has won 2 straight and same terrible Vandy team that knocked off both Florida on the road and oh yea Big 12 school and has played top 5 schedule? Those the teams are what your reffering Fair weather expert and no Mike is not going anywhere move on.
You never know in advance what the outcome of any given situation is so either get busy living or get busy dying.

HOGINTENNESSEE

Quote from: Jonteviosk on February 12, 2017, 05:14:15 am

I also heard this year is over...errr wait no theres 6 games left and Mike Anderson is not getting fired so move on with your life.

If he doesn't make the tournment he gone

Jonteviosk

Well you of course are sure welcome to believe that but Long likes CMA too much.

The_Bionic_Pig

Quote from: HOGINTENNESSEE on February 12, 2017, 09:22:48 am
If he doesn't make the tournment he gone

And your source is (please state something other than a guess)
█ ▆ ▅ ▄ ▃ ▂ ▁ *Mute*

OnTheHillHogFan

Quote from: The_Bionic_Pig on February 12, 2017, 10:32:18 am
And your source is (please state something other than a guess)
You don't need a source. If we don't make the tournament that will be 1 tourney appearance in 6 years. That gets you fired at almost any school that cares about basketball.
Quote from: JaketheSnake on November 07, 2012, 10:28:17 am
Shoot the Obama deer... the ones that come for the free corn.
Quote from: ReddieHawg on November 06, 2013, 09:38:24 am
Do you happen to have any rapping skills? I think we could set you up with DJ Khaled and you could make a song entitled, "All I Do Is Bitch"

mhuff

Think everything is a guess right now. However, pretty good guess he's gone if he doesn't make tourney. I want Scotty no matter who is the coach. He is a hard worker. Wish he were coaching defense.

Rocky&Boarwinkle

the word you were looking for was moot. But I agree with the sentiment

mhuff

Saw mute and thought he might have meant that it was a point they weren't going to be talking about. I would have said moot as in irrelevant.

Rocky&Boarwinkle

Quote from: mhuff on February 12, 2017, 01:40:04 pm
Saw mute and thought he might have meant that it was a point they weren't going to be talking about. I would have said moot as in irrelevant.
This is one of the most common spelling mistakes after their/there  and you're/your.  many don't know the difference.

mhuff

February 12, 2017, 02:38:47 pm #43 Last Edit: February 12, 2017, 02:53:48 pm by mhuff
Quote from: Rocky&Boarwinkle on February 12, 2017, 01:47:05 pm
This is one of the most common spelling mistakes after their/there  and you're/your.  many don't know the difference.

True, but, if it's " alright " with them ,it's all right with me. I " ain't " gonna tell nobody what to say. I can only control what I say. Don't tell anyone ,but I am wrong a lot of the time.

PonderinHog

HogsonHicks

Quote from: lefty08 on February 09, 2017, 06:46:49 am
So, from this thread I've learned nobody knows.  Cool

Par for the course.

ShadowHawg

Quote from: Hawg Red on February 09, 2017, 07:47:02 am
This pretty much guarantees that all of them will stay.

Hardly. Justice Hill and his Dad love MA. If Hill reopens his recruitment, then their will be a mass defection. These kids are being pursued by big time programs....still.

passinghog

It's delusional to think that even half would stay. Understand where our program is at right now. To think that even the majority of them would stay because of the university? Come on now. Step outside of the state, your region and understand they have too many options to stay with an unstable situation. Don't throw big name coaches out there because the last 15 years have shown they WILL not take this job. Hopefully our fanbase has grown out of the delusion

Youngsta71701

Quote from: The_Iceman on February 12, 2017, 06:40:31 am
You must be missing something. Missouri has won two conference games now.

Youngsta71701

Quote from: Showtimehog on February 12, 2017, 05:03:28 pm
It's delusional to think that even half would stay. Understand where our program is at right now. To think that even the majority of them would stay because of the university? Come on now. Step outside of the state, your region and understand they have too many options to stay with an unstable situation. Don't throw big name coaches out there because the last 15 years have shown they WILL not take this job. Hopefully our fanbase has grown out of the delusion
Unfortunately they haven't. Still living in a pipe dream.