Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Wow!!!!! Same old same old!!!

Started by Tweeter, January 10, 2017, 10:15:38 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Tweeter

Anyone got any answers for the Basketball team. I'm lost as to what is wrong.   :puke:

HiggiePiggy

Quote from: Tweeter on January 10, 2017, 10:15:38 pm
Anyone got any answers for the Basketball team. I'm lost as to what is wrong.   :puke:

We just need to accept that we are a track school and start packing the track stadium!!!!! 
If a man speaks and no woman is around to hear him, is he still wrong?

root_hawg

Just give him time, the recruits are coming.  number 1 class in country for 2018

1highhog

So do y'all still think this team is going to lose only 4-5 games in the SEC?  As I've been saying, we'll be lucky to go 50% in the SEC again and back into the NCAA Tournament.

1highhog

Quote from: root_hawg on January 10, 2017, 10:19:07 pm
Just give him time, the recruits are coming.  number 1 class in country for 2018

The recruits are not going to get it done if we don't have the Coach to get the job done.  Mike's a great guy, but he's not the coach we need here.

Iwastherein1969

Quote from: 1highhog on January 10, 2017, 10:20:24 pm
So do y'all still think this team is going to lose only 4-5 games in the SEC?  As I've been saying, we'll be lucky to go 50% in the SEC again and back into the NCAA Tournament.
this team won't make any of the 3 post season college basketball tournaments...the putrid product by the putrid coach put on that sacred floor is a slap in the face to all the great players that wore the cardinal and white through the years
The long Grey line will never fail our country.

BassinHawg

And Soft, Sour Faced Mike will ruin them if still here!
"It is what it is." has replaced "Yesssss Sirrrrr!!!!"

WooPig90

Who cares if they dont have someone that can coach them properly. And give him time? ARE YOU KIDDING ME?

Frontrowhog

When will MA learn that switching every screen is lazy and will not work. Defenders get blown by and they need help defense that leads to open shots. It's not hard to see this!

cityhog

Same old same Old indeed.
Can't outbound the 13th worst rebounding team in the league
Can't defend the 3 - made yet another player look like
An all American shooting the ball
Continued to press in the face of layup after layup
Couldn't hit free throws (although I will admit that is an anomaly this year)
Out coached

I never ever ever want to hear the youth excuse used for Arkansas again. The second youngest team in the NCAA just kicked our tails.

Mike Anderson is an enthusiasm killer. I actually tuned into this game with a modicum of confidence that we'd win. Foolish foolish me.

No excuse for this loss.

lynbug

For me the past 20 years was heartbreak after heartbreak with continual hoping and praying that things would change.  Now I'm happy to say that I'm numb.  Much easier on my health.

TexArkHogFan

We always do the same old every game so why should we expect different results?  The one constant in Anderson's coaching style is the inability to defend the three and lack of effort in rebounding.  I counted at least two times when they got three offensive boards in one possession.  His player rotation does not make any sense.  Thank God this is Manny's last year and hopefully his dad leaves with him.  It doesn't matter how good the next class is, Mike will coach them down, not up.  We don't have any shooters. the only one we have is streaky and when he is off he will lay up enough bricks to build a condo.  MS had a real 3 point shooter.  When he shot, it was like money in the bank.  All I know is I'm getting too old for this s**t.  It's no wonder Hog fans are crazy. our coaches make us that way. 
There are all kinds of Lions, Tigers and Bears in college football.  But there is only one Razorback.  Beware the Tusks!!! They are coming

The_Iceman

Mike Anderson.

3kgthog

We're not winning the right games. We don't rebound or play defense. Mike Anderson's coaching tree is Baby Groot sized. Fan apathy is increasing week by week. Even slightly improved recruiting isn't preventing the dimming of that light at the end of the tunnel. Seriously, what positives are there to continuing this walk down memory lane?

JayBell

Quote from: root_hawg on January 10, 2017, 10:19:07 pmJust give him time, the recruits are coming.  number 1 class in country for 2018

Exactly how much more successful do you expect him to be with more talent?  I think that class would become an NCAA Tournament team, but even with Portis and Qualls in the best season of the past 20 years, they were only a 5 seed and won just one game in the tournament.

This current team is not without talent.  Kingsley, Hannahs, Beard and Macon could all play for any other team in the SEC and could at least compete for minutes at Kentucky.

JayBell

If the ceiling with Portis and Qualls was a 5 seed and 27 wins (and they couldn't even make the NCAAT the year before, which is still more egregious than the terrible 2015-16 season, IMO) and this team is struggling to even make the tournament, I just don't think we will see the success fans are hoping for just because he signs a few more talented players.

HawgTrough

In conference play we squeaked
Quote from: 1highhog on January 10, 2017, 10:20:24 pm

I think you're correct. We're 1-3 with a squeaked out win over Tennessee. The 3 losses were no contests and 2 of them were on our home floor. Ouch
WPS

hogsanity

Quote from: JayBell on January 11, 2017, 09:24:36 am
I just don't think we will see the success fans are hoping for just because he signs a few more talented players.

the people wanting keep Mike, assuming they are not just trolling and actually think Mike should stay, are hoping for success for MIKE ANDERSON's sake, they really could not care less about the program.
People ask me what I do in winter when there is no baseball.  I will tell you what I do. I stare out the window, and I wait for spring.

"Anything goes wrong, anything at all, your fault, my fault, nobodies fault, I'm going to blow your head off."  John Wayne in BIG JAKE

razorson

Yeah that's great but we still have the same old coaching if you can call it that.

1highhog

Where's Forrest City Joe?  I said from the very beginning Mike would be a bad hire, and low and behold it's turned out just as I said before we hired him.  So many fan's thought hiring Mike was like hiring and bringing home the incarnation of Rollin with Nolan and back to the promised land.  I love Mike and always will, but knew that it'd be a disaster if he ever became the Coach here, and it's proven true.  Mike never showed he could coach or had a system he coached, and at Mizzou, life on the road sucked for their program, same as it has here.  Sure, we can beat the cream puffs, and a weak SEC at home, but the SEC teams are getting better, and now we can't even beat them at home.  Mike has now had 6 years to turn this program around, 6 years to turn a basketball program around.  Who hardly gives that long?  I don't care how bad you say it was when Mike got here, look around at some of the other schools in the league that are now beating us, look like they've turned around pretty good, actually, they didn't have nothing to begin with.  Mike's not our coach, go ahead and tell me about the recruits he has coming in next year, so!!  You can have the best recruits in the nation, but if you can't coach it doesn't matter.

Next1_04

Honest question here: What is the difference between this "!", and this "!!!!!"?

Just wondering.

hogsanity

Quote from: 1highhog on January 11, 2017, 12:15:22 pm
Where's Forrest City Joe? 

HE and LEtsroll are off thinking up the next troll thread title.
People ask me what I do in winter when there is no baseball.  I will tell you what I do. I stare out the window, and I wait for spring.

"Anything goes wrong, anything at all, your fault, my fault, nobodies fault, I'm going to blow your head off."  John Wayne in BIG JAKE

1highhog

Shrevepork

It's a virus they caught from the football team.

Youngsta71701

1. Stop pressing teams that have quicker and faster guards than us giving up easy layups.
2. Guards fight over the top of screens and recover so Moses don't have to switch on the perimeter so he can stay in the lane and rim protect and rebound. 4 rebounds in a game for him is inexcusable.
3. Stop double teaming the post and let the bigs guard their man one on one. When we do that we give up open shots to the 3 point shooters.
4. Work inside out on the offensive end. If Moses or Dustin don't have a shot they will pass it out. They are already too unselfish anyways.
5. Keep making free throws. If we shoot our season average against Mississippi State we win that game.

That's a start... ;D
"The more things change the more they stay the same"

26.2Hog

Quote from: Frontrowhog on January 10, 2017, 10:27:56 pm
When will MA learn that switching every screen is lazy and will not work. Defenders get blown by and they need help defense that leads to open shots. It's not hard to see this!

That is a great observation, and shines a bright light on one of the reasons his coaching is suspect.

Good coaches don't teach that nonsense.

The_Iceman

Quote from: Youngsta71701 on January 12, 2017, 10:11:45 am
1. Stop pressing teams that have quicker and faster guards than us giving up easy layups.
2. Guards fight over the top of screens and recover so Moses don't have to switch on the perimeter so he can stay in the lane and rim protect and rebound. 4 rebounds in a game for him is inexcusable.
3. Stop double teaming the post and let the bigs guard their man one on one. When we do that we give up open shots to the 3 point shooters.
4. Work inside out on the offensive end. If Moses or Dustin don't have a shot they will pass it out. They are already too unselfish anyways.
5. Keep making free throws. If we shoot our season average against Mississippi State we win that game.

That's a start... ;D

Not gonna happen. Mike believes:

"If we do what we do, they won't be able to do what they want to do."

Which is why he puts so little emphasis on pre-game scouting and game planning to stop the other team's best players (see Weatherspoon).

rmcchris

This is what I posted after the FL game.  Man does it still hold true and many aspects is a mirror to the MS State game.  And to the reply poster poloprince, the sky is falling and I'll take my donation money wherever I want.

poloprince
All-American Hogvillian
Re: Completely outclassed....

« Reply #93 on: December 30, 2016, 03:59:21 pm »

ReplyQuote
Quote from: rmcchris on December 30, 2016, 03:44:27 pm

Amen on nothing has changed.
I donate a considerable sum and family's lifetime is good.  I do support our university and our athletic programs.  Proud to be a Hog and a graduate.
Mike Anderson and Jeff Long, I hope you read this. Enough is enough, MA is so hard headed and outdated, he will never change, adapt or adopt new ways to win big/important basketball games.  The day of I'm going to run them to death and wear them down with my athletes is gone.  Guess what, lot's of teams have good athletes.
The day of I'm just one good run away from taking control of the game or blowing them out is gone (for good teams). Example:  Last night we had our runs, crowd into it etc. then went back to the same poor fundamental basketball. Might work 1/10 times.
Let the list begin:
1. Defense fundamentals or lack of.  We switch every time, which allows our on ball defender to play back and passive.  A basic weave/hand-off offense will quickly get one of our bigs on one of their guards. Their guard then blows past our big down the middle of the lane, breaks down the defense, either finishes with a layup or dishes for a dunk or layup.  How many times have you seen this scenario this year and past years?  Play tough on the ball defense, hedge your bigs and get over the top of screens when at all possible.  Switch and play help defense when you have too.
2.  Press, what press?  We try one lazy trap on the inbound and towards the corner. Sometimes we don't even set a trap.  Ball is reversed and then we have two or three players trailing the opponents, who then kicks to the side and a wide open three or takes it to the rack for easy layup or dish/dunk.
3. Coaching rotation.  What is the plan and purpose?  Just to play everyone you promised?  Example:  Last night you rotated Macon out for 10 minutes in a somewhat close game.  You left Beard and the other guy (juco guy-Barford) on the court a long time together.  Both were unproductive, forced shots, turned it over, hung their head, you name it.  Come up with a plan and a rotation to be successful.
4.  Rebounding, block out sometimes.
5.  See the ball and your man (even in the 2/3 zone) when the other team is in-bounding the ball.
6.  Turnovers or points off turnovers.  Look at the stats from last night.  Guess who won that part of the game and big?  See the no press (#2 above) and no on ball defensive pressure (#1 above).  So how do you plan to create turnovers and points off turnovers playing that kind of defense?
7.  MA was mad the football game was taking away from the basketball stage and played the music for shoot around vs the football game broadcast as planned, etc. I agree with fact I don't want football to upstage an important basketball game.  However, Jeff/Mike, when you can't win games and your play can't draw fans, you need a promotion like last night to get butts in the seats.  Improve the program, adapt your style of play to win important games and you won't have to have promotions to fill the big arena.  If not, it will be like a Minor League baseball game, with lots of circus acts (like the half time one) to fill seats.

I hope someone within the program wakes up.
Reply:
I'm sure the program won't miss your considerable contribution.  Hogs lost two games to two good teams.  The sky isn't  falling........yet

Champs04

Are you calling Mississippi State good?

Youngsta71701

Quote from: Champs04 on January 12, 2017, 11:35:01 am
Are you calling Mississippi State good?
I think he's calling Kentucky and Florida good. (Could be wrong) Mississippi State is talented but I wouldn't say they are good yet although they have the potential to be. I'm not sure about Minnesota. I didn't get a chance to watch that game on TV.
"The more things change the more they stay the same"