Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Ted Kapita question ?

Started by Hoggard, August 20, 2015, 11:44:19 am

Previous topic - Next topic

Hoggard

I hope I don't regret starting this thread and hopefully I can just get a simple answer here. But is it possible for TK to be eligible to come in during the second semester and actually contribute to this years team ?

:razorback:
God is Love. Its as simple as that. It's the one fruit I can and WILL judge you by.

The_Iceman

Quote from: Hoggard on August 20, 2015, 11:44:19 am
I hope I don't regret starting this thread and hopefully I can just get a simple answer here. But is it possible for TK to be eligible to come in during the second semester and actually contribute to this years team ?

Yes, it is possible, I believe, but not likely. Its more likely he just reclassified to the 2016 class.

Hawg Red

Quote from: Hoggard on August 20, 2015, 11:44:19 am

Yes, it's possible. I think we can close the door on him getting eligible for the fall semester (he had still not ruled that out as of last update), but it's possible he finishes whatever course work the NCAA needs this semester and is eligible in December. Personally, I'd rather him just wait and come in next season with a full 4 years of eligibility (because I'm afraid he isn't in great shape/healthy right now).

Hoggard

God is Love. Its as simple as that. It's the one fruit I can and WILL judge you by.

The_Iceman

Quote from: Hawg Red on August 20, 2015, 12:01:33 pm
Personally, I'd rather him just wait and come in next season with a full 4 years of eligibility (because I'm afraid he isn't in great shape/healthy right now).

That's how I feel. He won't make a difference next year in a win or a loss, but him getting 4 full years here would be great for our program.

Hoggard

The kid is going to be a BEAST on the boards. IMO it was well worth the gamble bc we are still going to get him. Now you put him w a seasoned Whitt and what should be a very talented incoming class and we could be scary good next year.

-Blu

Quote from: Hawg Red on August 20, 2015, 12:01:33 pm
Yes, it's possible. I think we can close the door on him getting eligible for the fall semester (he had still not ruled that out as of last update), but it's possible he finishes whatever course work the NCAA needs this semester and is eligible in December. Personally, I'd rather him just wait and come in next season with a full 4 years of eligibility (because I'm afraid he isn't in great shape/healthy right now).

^This right here. 

And it may be for the best he comes in 2016.  Gives him a full year to recover, I had doubts about how much he'd be able to contribute this year anyways.  And another bonus of him coming in 2016, it separates him in class from Thompson by 2 years and Kingsley by 3 years.  So, now he can come in his freshman year and learn behind them, and still have a good 2-3 years where he is "The guy".  Rather than a Kingsley situation where he has to wait behind someone.  Had Portis stayed and these suspensions didn't happen it's very possible Kingsley would have been looking at another 10 MPG year.

hawgfan4life

I hope he gets eligible, arrives 2nd semester, and the coaching staff have the opportunity to evaluate whether he can help this year or help the next.  I would rather have him now than later.  Quality experience now, added to the other young players this year and next will pay big dividends down the road.  If AR can hold their own this year, improve next, and explode by his JR year, recruiting to replace him will be a lot easier than recruiting now and I would rather worry about now more than later.  Fix problems now and later fixes itself.

nwahogfan1

Quote from: hawgfan4life on August 20, 2015, 06:58:11 pm
I hope he gets eligible, arrives 2nd semester, and the coaching staff have the opportunity to evaluate whether he can help this year or help the next.  I would rather have him now than later.  Quality experience now, added to the other young players this year and next will pay big dividends down the road.  If AR can hold their own this year, improve next, and explode by his JR year, recruiting to replace him will be a lot easier than recruiting now and I would rather worry about now more than later.  Fix problems now and later fixes itself.
I agree with you.  If he is a true super star he will not stay 4 years in college so get him in and let him help us now and take his lumps in the spring so when we get more competitive next year or beyond he will be tested  and ready.

TomBigBeeHog

Quote from: nwahogfan1 on August 20, 2015, 08:52:20 pm
I agree with you.  If he is a true super star he will not stay 4 years in college so get him in and let him help us now and take his lumps in the spring so when we get more competitive next year or beyond he will be tested  and ready.

Who called Kapita a superstar?
I spent most of my life drankin', gamblin', and chasing women, the rest I just wasted.

nwahogfan1

Quote from: TomBigBeeHog on August 20, 2015, 10:07:55 pm
Who called Kapita a superstar?

He is rated a high 4 star when healthy.  That is much higher than Qualls was rated.  What do you call him?

-Blu

August 21, 2015, 12:15:11 am #11 Last Edit: August 21, 2015, 12:26:27 am by -Blu
Quote from: nwahogfan1 on August 20, 2015, 10:12:25 pm
He is rated a high 4 star when healthy.  That is much higher than Qualls was rated.  What do you call him?

Qualls is an exception.  Most 3 stars with only 1 high major offer aren't in a position to get drafted after 3 years. 

And as far as Kapita, I'm with Tom, who called him a Superstar? I haven't read anything about anyone saying he's a guy that's only going to be in school a couple of years.  The main thing with him right now is to get eligible and get healthy, him thinking about being a superstar and leaving school early needs to be the last thing on his mind.

Mike Irwin

From what I understand he's only allowed to make up one per semester of the three uncertified courses he lacks from the Congo. However the ACT is a factor. If he could make up one course this fall and jump his ACT score up he would have a shot at coming in by mid December. The key factor apparently is getting that ACT score high enough. It's not a matter of meeting the minimum standard but going a certain score higher. I don't know the particulars on that.

Big Nasty 34

I would much rather have him for 4 full, healthy hopeful ncaa runs. This could be best case scenario really with him having a year to get completely healthy. Should have a more productive 4 years now.

mizzouman

Mizzou had a kid who was in a similar situation back in the Quin Snyder days.  He actually went prep school for the first semester then played at Mizzou second semester.  It happens.  The kid did OK that semester but burned an entire year.  I'm not sure it's worth it.  Better for him to come in second semester and redshirt.

TomBigBeeHog

Quote from: Big Nasty 34 on August 21, 2015, 07:45:26 am
I would much rather have him for 4 full, healthy hopeful ncaa runs. This could be best case scenario really with him having a year to get completely healthy. Should have a more productive 4 years now.

This looks to be a down year, with or without him. So, I agree with you that it would be better for us if he had a full year to get healthy and then we got him for full seasons.
I spent most of my life drankin', gamblin', and chasing women, the rest I just wasted.

Hoggard

Quote from: Mike Irwin on August 21, 2015, 01:29:27 am
From what I understand he's only allowed to make up one per semester of the three uncertified courses he lacks from the Congo. However the ACT is a factor. If he could make up one course this fall and jump his ACT score up he would have a shot at coming in by mid December. The key factor apparently is getting that ACT score high enough. It's not a matter of meeting the minimum standard but going a certain score higher. I don't know the particulars on that.

Thank you for the update Mike. As always you know your stuff. Plz let us know when things change.

nwahogfan1

Quote from: Big Nasty 34 on August 21, 2015, 07:45:26 am

If he is poor and his family is poor and he is a stud which was why he was a top 50 player when healthy we will be lucky to keep him 2 years. 

Hawg Red

August 21, 2015, 09:26:47 am #18 Last Edit: August 21, 2015, 10:34:03 am by Hawg Red
Quote from: nwahogfan1 on August 21, 2015, 09:03:56 am
If he is poor and his family is poor and he is a stud which was why he was a top 50 player when healthy we will be lucky to keep him 2 years.

Not relevant. You still want as much eligibility as possible in your back pocket.

Big Nasty 34

Like Kingsley?

Kapita will most likely be a 4 year guy.

TomBigBeeHog

Poor relative to what standard? NBA riches and fame also tempt kids with very well off parents. Also, are you saying that most top 50 players turn pro within two years?

Hawg Red

Rashad Madden was a top 50 player. Moses Kingsley was a top 50 player.

Those are guys you definitely want to stock your roster with. They might only be there a couple of years, but more than likely, they'll be there for 3-4 years. Top 10-15 guys (like Portis) are the ones you can expect to move on rather quickly.

TomBigBeeHog

Quote from: Hawg Red on August 21, 2015, 10:42:42 am
Top 10-15 guys (like Portis) are the ones you can expect to move on rather quickly.

Pretty much what I was thinking

hawgfan4life

Quote from: nwahogfan1 on August 20, 2015, 08:52:20 pm

I am not considering whether he is a super star or a role player.  I am saying it from the team and program perspective.  Arkansas needs to hold its own as much as possible this year.  Sign a great class for next year, and have a strong perception of being a program on the rise. If they do that, recruiting gets easier two years from now and Kapita's status as star or role player is greatly less significant.

outlawhogeywells

Quote from: The_Iceman on August 20, 2015, 12:14:18 pm
That's how I feel. He won't make a difference next year in a win or a loss, but him getting 4 full years here would be great for our program.
If he can come at semester you let him come and then get him in shape for the 2016-2017 season. 
Put him in conditioning all semester with tutors so he can get ahead of the curve.  No playing just working with strength and conditioning

Hawg Red

Quote from: outlawhogeywells on August 24, 2015, 01:43:47 pm
If he can come at semester you let him come and then get him in shape for the 2016-2017 season. 
Put him in conditioning all semester with tutors so he can get ahead of the curve.  No playing just working with strength and conditioning

So, you think he should redshirt? I'd be okay with that.

-Blu

Quote from: Hawg Red on August 24, 2015, 01:46:08 pm
So, you think he should redshirt? I'd be okay with that.

I doubt the staff would do that unless he absolutely cannot play.

Hawg Red

Quote from: -Blu on August 24, 2015, 03:36:44 pm
I doubt the staff would do that unless he absolutely cannot play.

Definitely unlikely.