Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Starting 5

Started by UNCLE BACK, July 29, 2015, 08:26:07 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

-Blu

Quote from: JayBell on August 05, 2015, 09:17:10 am
Anderson's road record is about to tank.....again.

Very possible we could go back to our losing ways on the road, we'll get a chance to see early.  We have some winnable road/neutral games early in the non-conference.  @Wake Forest, @Dayton, neutral court against Georgia Tech, then neutral vs Villanova/Stanford.

If we can go 2-2 in those games, I think that would be tremendous.  Wake Forest and Georgia Tech aren't good, or at least they were not last year.  Dayton should be solid, but not unbeatable, and I'm assuming Villanova will beat Stanford, so if we were to play them, that would be a really good test to see how good or not good we will be this season.

And I'm assuming the rest of the non-conference should be pretty easy.  So doing well in those road games could be key heading into conference play.

Biggus Piggus

Quote from: -Blu on July 29, 2015, 09:14:30 pm
Still a lot of unanswered questions but as of right now with current roster, I think this would be starting lineup.

Whitt
Bell
Watkins
Thompson
Kingsley

Been hearing good things about Thompson, that's why I got him there, although I could see Miles starting as well.

Don't see a point guard there, -Blu. Or enough outside shooting.
[CENSORED]!

JayBell

Quote from: Biggus Piggus on August 05, 2015, 12:43:19 pmDon't see a point guard there, -Blu. Or enough outside shooting.

A lot of folks see Whitt as a 1-2 hybrid.  Considering he'll probably be the best ball handler on the team if Beard doesn't come back, it's not crazy to have him at the 1.

And that lineup already has Whitt and Bell as outside shooters.  The only way you have any more outside shooting is to replace Watkins with Durham or Hannahs.  You're not going to have three of those four together at all times, especially when Watkins may be the only other serviceable option at guard.

hogsanity

Quote from: JayBell on August 05, 2015, 02:25:56 pm
A lot of folks see Whitt as a 1-2 hybrid.  Considering he'll probably be the best ball handler on the team if Beard doesn't come back, it's not crazy to have him at the 1.

And that lineup already has Whitt and Bell as outside shooters.  The only way you have any more outside shooting is to replace Watkins with Durham or Hannahs.  You're not going to have three of those four together at all times, especially when Watkins may be the only other serviceable option at guard.

And Watkins has not shown any inkling of being an offensive threat. Look at his pts per minutes played last year. Then look at his to/asst ratio.
People ask me what I do in winter when there is no baseball.  I will tell you what I do. I stare out the window, and I wait for spring.

"Anything goes wrong, anything at all, your fault, my fault, nobodies fault, I'm going to blow your head off."  John Wayne in BIG JAKE

Dominicanhog

Quote from: hogsanity on July 30, 2015, 11:30:03 am
that looks like about 40ppg, and that is IF Whitt gets 15ppg by himself. Watkins never saw a shot he would not pass up, Moses is not a 15ppg guy, no idea on Miles.

That's about right between 40-50 ... and the bench will average about 30 as well.....  I think we'll score in the 78-80 range... isn't that about the average for a CMA team.. this is going to be a better team than many are giving credit.

hogsanity

Quote from: Dominicanhog on August 05, 2015, 06:02:22 pm
That's about right between 40-50 ... and the bench will average about 30 as well.....  I think we'll score in the 78-80 range... isn't that about the average for a CMA team.. this is going to be a better team than many are giving credit.

Really? This team, minus MQ and BP, is going to score MORE than last years team did? 
People ask me what I do in winter when there is no baseball.  I will tell you what I do. I stare out the window, and I wait for spring.

"Anything goes wrong, anything at all, your fault, my fault, nobodies fault, I'm going to blow your head off."  John Wayne in BIG JAKE

Dominicanhog

Quote from: hogsanity on August 06, 2015, 12:19:42 am
Really? This team, minus MQ and BP, is going to score MORE than last years team did?

I think we'll shoot the three a lot better and we'll score plenty..I think our tempo will be even faster than last year.. Rebounding is my biggest concern followed by interior defense, I'm hoping Kouassi fills a big void here,  Trey being able to step up would go a long way as well....

-Blu

Quote from: Biggus Piggus on August 05, 2015, 12:43:19 pm
Don't see a point guard there, -Blu. Or enough outside shooting.

JayBell answered it perfectly, my thoughts exactly.

Quote from: JayBell on August 05, 2015, 02:25:56 pm

JayBell

Quote from: Dominicanhog on August 06, 2015, 08:17:44 amI think we'll shoot the three a lot better and we'll score plenty..I think our tempo will be even faster than last year.. Rebounding is my biggest concern followed by interior defense, I'm hoping Kouassi fills a big void here,  Trey being able to step up would go a long way as well....

You think the team loses all five starters, including the three best athletes, and scores more points with a faster tempo and less depth???

That makes zero sense.

TomBigBeeHog

Quote from: JayBell on August 05, 2015, 09:07:24 am
I'm thinking it will have to be either:

Whitt
Bell
Hannahs
Miles
Kingsley

Or:

Durham
Whitt
Bell
Miles
Kingsley

Either way, if Beard and Williams can't come back, you're likely looking at more of an 8 or 9-man rotation instead of Anderson's usual 10-12.  With that roster, he's just going to have to have Whitt, Miles and Kingsley on the floor more than he wants to if they are going to compete.  Those three are crucial to playing Anderson's style because no one else on the team can score like Whitt.  The other post options aren't as athletic as Miles and Kingsley.

That's the worrisome part, Kingsley staying on the floor. Because of his aggressiveness, I can see him picking up 2 quick fouls early quite often.
I spent most of my life drankin', gamblin', and chasing women, the rest I just wasted.

-Blu

Quote from: JayBell on August 06, 2015, 09:04:34 am
You think the team loses all five starters, including the three best athletes, and scores more points with a faster tempo and less depth???

That makes zero sense.

While, I personally don't think we'll average more points than we did last year.  I can see the logic in his post.  A lot of times last year, we slowed down in the half court and would let Portis go to work in the post.  We really don't have a proven post player this year, so it's assumed our guards will be our primary scorers.  Which means more scoring by attacking the basket early in the clock, 3 point shooting, and hopefully getting to the foul line more if we are in attack mode.  And that's not to mention the new shot clock rule, which should give us a few extra possessions per game.  So, it is possible for us to score more and play faster, and still not be as good as we were last year.

hogsanity

August 06, 2015, 09:14:53 am #61 Last Edit: August 06, 2015, 09:28:25 am by hogsanity
Quote from: Dominicanhog on August 06, 2015, 08:17:44 am
I think we'll shoot the three a lot better and we'll score plenty..I think our tempo will be even faster than last year.. Rebounding is my biggest concern followed by interior defense, I'm hoping Kouassi fills a big void here,  Trey being able to step up would go a long way as well....

So, exactly who is going to score the points?  Heck, lets give Whitt 20ppg. where are the other 50 going to come from?  If Moses, Bell, Watkins and Durham TRIPLE their ppg, that is still only 45 points.

-Blu

Quote from: hogsanity on August 06, 2015, 09:14:53 am
So, exactly who is going to score there points?  Heck, lets give Whitt 20ppg. where are the other 50 going to come from?  If Moses, Bell, Watkins and Durham TRIPLE their ppg, that is still only 45 points.

Just because a team can score the ball doesn't mean they are good.  Notice the team that lead the nation in scoring didn't win the National Championship.  Northwestern St. lead the nation in scoring last year with 84 PPG and went 19-13, they could score but they couldn't stop anybody.  Theoretically, between Beard, Bell, Hannahs, Durham, and Whitt, we could be a great 3 point shooting and attacking team and score a lot, but if we can't stop anybody doesn't mean anything.

hogsanity

Quote from: -Blu on August 06, 2015, 09:30:21 am
Just because a team can score the ball doesn't mean they are good.  Notice the team that lead the nation in scoring didn't win the National Championship.  Northwestern St. lead the nation in scoring last year with 84 PPG and went 19-13, they could score but they couldn't stop anybody.  Theoretically, between Beard, Bell, Hannahs, Durham, and Whitt, we could be a great 3 point shooting and attacking team and score a lot, but if we can't stop anybody doesn't mean anything.

And theoretically, but with some evidence based on what we saw from Beard, Bell, Moses, Durham and Watkins last year, they might only score 50-60 a game.

With their limited depth, even assuming Beard ends up playing ( which I think is a good assumption ) trying to track meet people is going to be very difficult.

-Blu

Quote from: hogsanity on August 06, 2015, 09:37:20 am
And theoretically, but with some evidence based on what we saw from Beard, Bell, Moses, Durham and Watkins last year, they might only score 50-60 a game.

With their limited depth, even assuming Beard ends up playing ( which I think is a good assumption ) trying to track meet people is going to be very difficult.

People step up and score more with bigger roles, you mean to tell me a former top 40 player in Moses Kingsley can't get better in the off-season and score more with an increased role, or Anton Beard an All-SEC Freshman can't score more?

Do you remember Qualls and Madden's stats during BJ Young and Marshawn Powell's last year?  Madden averaged 4.3 PPG and Qualls averaged 4.6 PPG.  The year after Powell and Young left Madden lead the team in scoring with 12.7 and Qualls had a breakout year of 11.6 PPG.  It's not like everybody is just going to average the same numbers.  There's going to be some guys that have a big spike in production.

hogsanity

Quote from: -Blu on August 06, 2015, 09:44:11 am
People step up and score more with bigger roles, you mean to tell me a former top 40 player in Moses Kingsley can't get better in the off-season and score more with an increased role, or Anton Beard an All-SEC Freshman can't score more?

Do you remember Qualls and Madden's stats during BJ Young and Marshawn Powell's last year?  Madden averaged 4.3 PPG and Qualls averaged 4.6 PPG.  The year after Powell and Young left Madden lead the team in scoring with 12.7 and Qualls had a breakout year of 11.6 PPG.  It's not like everybody is just going to average the same numbers.  There's going to be some guys that have a big spike in production.

Which is why I said if they TRIPLE their output, which is what Madden and Qualls basically did ( actually a little less than triple but still quite a jump ). BUt again that is putting a burden on Whitt to score 15-20ppg as a FR.

Hawg Red

Without players kicked off:

C - Kingsley
F - Thompson
F - Miles
G - Whitt
G - Beard

2nd unit:

C - Kouassi
F - Williams
G - Watkins/Jenkins
G - Hannahs/Bell
G - Durham/Hannahs

With players kicked off:

C - Kingsley
F - Thompson
G - Watkins
G - Whitt
G - Durham

2nd unit:

C - Kouassi
F - Miles
F - Jenkins
G - Bell
G - Hannahs

-Blu

Quote from: hogsanity on August 06, 2015, 09:48:38 am
Which is why I said if they TRIPLE their output, which is what Madden and Qualls basically did ( actually a little less than triple but still quite a jump ). BUt again that is putting a burden on Whitt to score 15-20ppg as a FR.

He doesn't have to do all that.

You could easily have these numbers.  (I omitted suspended players for now) and put Jenkins in there since it's very likely he's a hog after this weekend.

Whitt 15 PPG
Bell 12 PPG
Hannahs 10 PPG
Kingsley 10 PPG
Thompson 6 PPG
Durham 5 PPG
Watkins 5 PPG
Jenkins  4 PPG
Kouassi 4 PPG
Miles 3 PPG

That gives you 74 PPG right there.  And those are kinda modest numbers.  Some of those guys like Durham and Thompson should have an opportunity to score more and could possibly average better than that.

Jonteviosk

Do not forget about our new possible signing Lorenzo "Doobie" Jenkins. 6'7 Small forward. Now it will be 5 in 5 out as long as we stay healthy. Come on down kid Doobie doobie do.
You never know in advance what the outcome of any given situation is so either get busy living or get busy dying.

trok24

Quote from: -Blu on August 06, 2015, 10:00:14 am
He doesn't have to do all that.

You could easily have these numbers.  (I omitted suspended players for now) and put Jenkins in there since it's very likely he's a hog after this weekend.

Whitt 15 PPG
Bell 12 PPG
Hannahs 10 PPG
Kingsley 10 PPG
Thompson 6 PPG
Durham 5 PPG
Watkins 5 PPG
Jenkins  4 PPG
Kouassi 4 PPG
Miles 3 PPG

That gives you 74 PPG right there.  And those are kinda modest numbers.  Some of those guys like Durham and Thompson should have an opportunity to score more and could possibly average better than that.

trok24

if they all score like that then color me purple...i just dont see it.  Its gonna be about defense defense defense not scoring im afraid with this team..hope i'm wrong but ...

WayneHawg

Larry, No,Curly and 2 goons from the students section

HoopS

Quote from: WayneHawg on August 07, 2015, 07:13:00 am
Larry, No,Curly and 2 goons from the students section
Larry has no skills really. But he'd rock a headband. 2 Guard
Moe has mojo. Attitude. Plays with aggression. Leader. 1 guard
Curly brings the bulk we need to bang inside. Limited offense. PF
Shemp needs to be inserted in due to his height. Above average rebounder and an undervalued mid range game. Garbage man. Center
Joe is often forgotten but brings some of the same skills Curly brings. I'd label him a "poor man's Curly" and that's not a bad thing. Often ignored and will find himself unchecked around the arc more times than not. Good set shot. Can drift down low and clog the lane if need be. A Heavy 3 as opposed to a stretch 4

Just my perspective on it.

Jonteviosk

F-Keaton Miles
G-Manny Watkins
C-Moses Kingsley
G-Anthlon Bell
G-Jabril Durham

2nd
F-Willie Kuwasii
F-Lorenzo Jenkins
C-Trey Thompson
G-Dusty Hannahs
G-Jimmy Whitt

initially this will be the starting lineup based on coaches preference for initially starting the veterans to see what all hes got. Another guy said this team scoring more than last years without MQ and BP. Answer yes I remember Hogs scoring more after losing BJ Young and Marshawn Powell. So yes could happen. As far as the defensive question come on now. Kuwasii, Miles, Watkins, Jenkins, Whitt, Durham are known for being outstanding defenders, Bell and Kingley have the potential and all Hannahs  and Thompson have to be is adequate. Need Kingsley and Kuwassi even Thompson blocking shots. Thompson blocked 4 shots a game as a sr in high school. That will do a lot to close down the middle. Then the guards ahould be more efficient at getting steals and deflections and the system and style will do the rest. Need team 6-7 blocks a game, 9-11 steals and force 18-20 turnovers a game. All certainly possible. Then need to avg 40-50 % of offense off turnovers then all of the sudden the lack of superstars doesn't loom as important does it. Were not going to be an elite halfcourt defense or offensive team its not our style.
You never know in advance what the outcome of any given situation is so either get busy living or get busy dying.

HF#1

Some of you are really putting forth an effort to be optimistic. Bless your hearts.  But this thread is making this season look even more bleak for me.
"We are all born ignorant, but one must work hard to remain stupid."  <br /><br />Benjamin Franklin

Biggus Piggus

If Hannahs does not start I will be shocked.
[CENSORED]!

Big Nasty 34

Quote from: Biggus Piggus on August 10, 2015, 08:45:52 pm
If Hannahs does not start I will be shocked.

What's your lineup BP? I'm most excited to see what Hannahs can do.

Hoggard

You guys amaze me. Mike Anderson has turned this program around !!! He has increased his win totals every single season since he took the job. Could we be a bit down next year ? Sure. But even the mighty Kentucky with one of Arkansas' best kids exited in the first round of the NIT. And that was a year after they won it all if memory serves.

So Mike isn't allowed a down year ? I could see us struggling a little bit next year. We lost a lot. But kids like Whitt are going to get some major experience and its going to be fun to see these guys grow. 2016 COULD be one of the best recruiting classes we've had in basketball in years. So how about we stop all the crying and just enjoy our team ?
God is Love. Its as simple as that. It's the one fruit I can and WILL judge you by.