Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Mike Anderson Era at a Crossroads.............

Started by hoglady, July 23, 2015, 06:24:48 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

moses_007

Mike has been very silent about this three player suspension. 

hogsanity

Quote from: moses_007 on July 26, 2015, 09:44:10 pm

what is there for him to say? They are suspended indefinitely. Mike really can't do anyting until the legal process plays out. If they go to trial on the current charges, that is really going to delay things. I can't see any way they can play while awaiting trial. If they plead it down, which for 1st time offenders seems very possible, it still may be months away.
People ask me what I do in winter when there is no baseball.  I will tell you what I do. I stare out the window, and I wait for spring.

"Anything goes wrong, anything at all, your fault, my fault, nobodies fault, I'm going to blow your head off."  John Wayne in BIG JAKE

HOGINTENNESSEE

July 27, 2015, 07:21:26 am #52 Last Edit: July 27, 2015, 07:41:19 am by HOGINTENNESSEE

You do realize that he has been in Vegas recruiting all week in addition to the players having been suspended immediately following the arrests.

He hasn't really had the opportunity to speak and honestly I'm not sure what else is need to be said about this at the point. Atleast not until something further happens legal wise

Mike Irwin

Quote from: TejasPete on July 24, 2015, 07:02:51 pm
OK keep beleiving that....anyone with even a passing interest in Hog ball knew Portis was going pro.

A typical response from someone who has no real knowledge of the facts and doesn't think he needs it. I've got news everyone reading this board who believes this nonsense. In real life (as opposed to what passes for reality on a message board) what seems like a no brainer often isn't. Portis told the coaches he was coming back. He told those close to him the same thing. What were they supposed to do, tell him they didn't believe him and they were going to actively recruit his replacement?

Dominicanhog

Quote from: Mike Irwin on July 27, 2015, 07:31:30 am
A typical response from someone who has no real knowledge of the facts and doesn't think he needs it. I've got news everyone reading this board who believes this nonsense. In real life (as opposed to what passes for reality on a message board) what seems like a no brainer often isn't. Portis told the coaches he was coming back. He told those close to him the same thing. What were they supposed to do, tell him they didn't believe him and they were going to actively recruit his replacement?

They expected Mike to say, "go pro".... and then recruit a player his equivalent... it's that easy... oh and by the way, pick up a couple more Mickey D AA's just in case some boneheads decide to play with funny money...don't worry about over signing, pissing of current or future players, the NCAA or any of that... Mike's job is as simple as typing on a message board....

NinoHogUNIA

It's starting to look like 2002 again.

Many of hogville's armchair ADs  didn't want MA hired anyway.

If Brett B bombs out next season I promise the call for his head will be nonexistent.

I already know why.
BIE

hogsanity

Quote from: Dominicanhog on July 27, 2015, 08:00:29 am
They expected Mike to say, "go pro".... and then recruit a player his equivalent... it's that easy... oh and by the way, pick up a couple more Mickey D AA's just in case some boneheads decide to play with funny money...don't worry about over signing, pissing of current or future players, the NCAA or any of that... Mike's job is as simple as typing on a message board....

Oversigning? You do know they are no where near the scholarship limit, even before the whole counterfeit thing came up. And no, I did not expect him to sign someone as good as Portis, but no way can you say, and truly believe it, that the last signing class was what you should get coming off a 27 win season, which according to may here was magically wonderful, and having the secpoty.

Who said it was easy? But he is getting paid big time money, but in recruiting is not producing big time results.
People ask me what I do in winter when there is no baseball.  I will tell you what I do. I stare out the window, and I wait for spring.

"Anything goes wrong, anything at all, your fault, my fault, nobodies fault, I'm going to blow your head off."  John Wayne in BIG JAKE

RazorPiggie

Quote from: NinoHogUNIA on July 27, 2015, 08:29:42 am

If Brett B bombs out next season I promise the call for his head will be nonexistent.

I already know why.

That's BS. But since I'm curious, Why wouldn't he in your opinion?

Kevin

Quote from: RazorPiggie on July 27, 2015, 09:45:05 am
That's BS. But since I'm curious, Why wouldn't he in your opinion?

There are people already saying he will be on the hot seat.

And Nino if you think it is race related spit it out, do be cryptic
Submit yourselves therefore to God. Resist the devil and he will flee from you.<br />James 4:7
Reject Every Kind Of Evil 1 Thessalonians 5:22

WilsonHog

Quote from: Kevin on July 27, 2015, 12:01:42 pm

I'll spit it out; I have no doubt that, for some people, it is race-related. To believe otherwise would be naive. I also believe that, for some people, it'd due to the fact that Mike is a protege of Nolan Richardson. Some of those folks might also fit into the first category, while the objection of others in that camp is based solely on Nolan suing UA. Finally, I have no doubt that, for some people, it's about the style of basketball that Mike coaches. Those folks might also fit in one of the first two categories, or might not.

hogsanity

Quote from: Tom Bennett on July 27, 2015, 12:22:43 pm
I'll spit it out; I have no doubt that, for some people, it is race-related. To believe otherwise would be naive. I also believe that, for some people, it'd due to the fact that Mike is a protege of Nolan Richardson. Some of those folks might also fit into the first category, while the objection of others in that camp is based solely on Nolan suing UA. Finally, I have no doubt that, for some people, it's about the style of basketball that Mike coaches. Those folks might also fit in one of the first two categories, or might not.

OR it could be that some think this is the type of program we will have under MA:

no post season
nit
bubble team, bubble burst
ncaat
bubble team, make the ncaat
sweet 16
no post season or maybe make nit
bubble team, end up in nit
no post season

We just do not think Mike is going to turn this program back into a perennial NCAAT team. And like it or not, THAT is what college bball is judged on, not the regular season anymore.

WilsonHog

Quote from: hogsanity on July 27, 2015, 12:36:18 pm
OR it could be that some think this is the type of program we will have under MA:

no post season
nit
ncaat
sweet 16
no post season

We just do not think Mike is going to turn this program back into a perennial NCAAT team. And like it or not, THAT is what college bball is judged on, not the regular season anymore.

I am sure some people think that as well.

There just is no way for me, you, or anyone else to define who the "we" you speak of is.

hogsanity

Quote from: Tom Bennett on July 27, 2015, 12:41:00 pm
I am sure some people think that as well.

There just is no way for me, you, or anyone else to define who the "we" you speak of is.

True, which is why I hate it when anyone is tagged as a hater, racists, etc when it comes to discussions about Mike Anderson.

WilsonHog

Here's what gets me. Maybe one of y'all can explain this.

The whole thing sort of reminds me of a guy who buys a SUV and three months in is pissed off because it only gets 14 miles a gallon.

Couple of realities here.

(1) Mike has not changed his style. He coaches what he was taught, and anyone who bets that he will suddenly morph into another coach is pinning their hopes on a losing proposition. When it works, it's one of the most beautiful things you've ever seen on a basketball court (see the first 20 minutes of the Texas A&M game last year). When it doesn't, it's one of the ugliest (see the last 20 minutes of the Texas A&M game last year).

This should be news to no one, and thus no reason to go screaming from the rooftops.

(2) We're not likely to go recruit a Top 10 class. I don't follow recruiting, but it would not surprise me to learn that Mike has never had one. I doubt seriously Nolan had one. Most players who have the talent to comprise a Top 10 class aren't likely to want to play the style Mike coaches (or perhaps not play at Arkansas, period, as far as that goes).

Again, this should be news to no one, and thus no reason to have a panic attack.

hogsanity

Quote from: Tom Bennett on July 27, 2015, 01:31:32 pm

The whole thing sort of reminds me of a guy who buys a SUV and three months in is pissed off because it only gets 14 miles a gallon.

(1) Mike has not changed his style. He coaches what he was taught, and anyone who bets that he will suddenly morph into another coach is pinning their hopes on a losing proposition. When it works, it's one of the most beautiful things you've ever seen on a basketball court (see the first 20 minutes of the Texas A&M game last year). When it doesn't, it's one of the ugliest (see the last 20 minutes of the Texas A&M game last year).

This should be news to no one, and thus no reason to go screaming from the rooftops.

(2) We're not likely to go recruit a Top 10 class. I don't follow recruiting, but it would not surprise me to learn that Mike has never had one. I doubt seriously Nolan had one. Most players who have the talent to comprise a Top 10 class aren't likely to want to play the style Mike coaches (or perhaps not play at Arkansas, period, as far as that goes).

Again, this should be news to no one, and thus no reason to have a panic attack.

Not sure if they rated classes back then, but I would have to say the 89 class had to be top 10, had 3 NBA draft picks in it, if Roosevelt Wallace was in that class, then it had 4. The class with Darnell Robinson and Lee Wilson had to be pretty highly rated as well.

But, to your points, those are both reasons why some of us thought/think MA is never going to be hugely successful here. If you can't change things when what you do is not working, and you can not attract top level talent, you are not going to win at a high level, at least not consistently.

WilsonHog

Quote from: hogsanity on July 27, 2015, 01:37:11 pm
Not sure if they rated classes back then, but I would have to say the 89 class had to be top 10, had 3 NBA draft picks in it, if Roosevelt Wallace was in that class, then it had 4. The class with Darnell Robinson and Lee Wilson had to be pretty highly rated as well.

But, to your points, those are both reasons why some of us thought/think MA is never going to be hugely successful here. If you can't change things when what you do is not working, and you can not attract top level talent, you are not going to win at a high level, at least not consistently.

I don't disagree with you; I'll simply add that I no longer believe any coach will be "hugely successful" here. There is an extremely short list of schools who can legitimately expect that, and I see no evidence that we're one of them.

Can you name another member of college basketball royalty that has largely been irrelevant for 15 years?

hellwonthaveme

Quote from: NinoHogUNIA on July 27, 2015, 08:29:42 am

I already know why.

But....Bret and his football team are not going to flame out this year. I have been one of his biggest critics from day one....but the guy is alright by me and I fully believe in what he is implementing here....

Mike took over a disastrous APR situation, a horrible locker room situation and a general low morale situation with the fans when he got here. Mike has rectified almost all of it. Mike has raised the APR. Mike has gotten the fans at least interested in the program again....for better or worse....with all the angst, wailing and knashing of the teeth in here.....

And Mike has recruited decent young men....until these three young men got ahold of a printing press. Everyone makes a recruiting mistake now and again...

Mike is a gentleman and a Damn fine coach. He wasn't hired just to win basketball games...he was hired to rebuild a program...from the ashes....and the embers were out.

He isn't going anywhere, anytime soon.

PRJ

Atlhogfan1

Nolan had the nation's top ranked recruiting class but it fell apart.  He also signed multiple classes with multiple McD AA's.  Different coach, era, dynamics, brand, staff etc. 

The worst position a program and fan base can be in is with an entrenched coach too good to fail but not able to sustain a high enough level of consistent success or maximize the program's potential.  Mike is a good coach.  There has never been a question in my opinion of would he fail at Arkansas because he won't.  But what happens if he can't maintain success?  Right now, some are telling others to just deal with it. Reasons are given as to why expectations should be tempered and remain very fluid.  It seems more important to some to have the coach we have and just accept whatever happens.  We went down this dangerous path as an athletic program and fan base before.  Venues such as in state media, talk radio and message boards told fans to shut up and deal with it.  It is starting again except this time we have The Card played. 

The program is at a crossroads.  We discussed this after this past season before the arrests and Kapita news.  The staff needs to provide the fans some hope that sustained success is coming and that the momentum that could have started from this past season is going to be built upon instead of dying out.  The best case scenario for us, Mike and the program is for him to have sustained success and retire from Arkansas.  Again, he is too good to fail and the state appears it will provide enough help in terms of talent, and more if the staff can recruit it, for firing him for failure to be an option.  The realistic worst case is for inconsistency to lead to either apathy or infighting and I see both coming if the staff doesn't recruit well in these next couple of classes.  The program is already stale enough.  Portis and Qualls provided some interest this past season but our non conf scheduling is very blah(although RPI effective) and our conference is providing little in terms of intrigue. 

I know some are still throwing out 27 wins, in addition to The Card, in efforts to shut down or quiet down discussions.  It was one season.  A very good season but it may end up more of an anomaly than a start.  Anomalies don't keep the masses interested or happy.  We need to see if 2009 Mizzou and 2015 Arkansas are signs of what Mike's career is going to be consistently or were they exceptions.  The dynamics of this past season where the Hogs had the best player and often the two best on the court against a schedule that couldn't have set up much better are over. 

As far as the football coach vs basketball coach and The Card, we hired a football coach without ties to the university, state, program and not because of who his daddy knew.  We hired him to do a job and that is to run a clean program, represent the university well and win consistently.  So far, the program is heading in the right direction.  He isn't perfect and deserves and receives criticism.  If the program turns in the other direction or doesn't continue improving, he will receive more and a change will be made.  His hiring wasn't personal or political.  If we had hired Strong or an AA coach, he should have been judged in the same manner.  In basketball, it is personal right now.  For some, it seems to be more important who our coach is than the program itself. 

I'll end this with some optimism.  This offseason may not be quite as bad as it seems.  As far as the arrests, I don't believe it will turn out as bad as it seems to some or has been suggested by some.  And Kapita could very well end up playing soon at Arkansas.  Perhaps if he has to wait a year, the injury may heal better anyway.  We have a good recruit committed and plenty of spots for more. 

Quote from: MaconBacon on March 22, 2018, 10:30:04 amWe had a good run in the 90's and one NC and now the whole state still laments that we are a top seed program and have kids standing in line to come to good ole Arkansas.  We're just a flash in the pan boys. 

RazorPiggie

Quote from: Atlhogfan1 on July 27, 2015, 02:14:45 pm
Nolan had the nation's top ranked recruiting class but it fell apart.  He also signed multiple classes with multiple McD AA's.  Different coach, era, dynamics, brand, staff etc. 

The worst position a program and fan base can be in is with an entrenched coach too good to fail but not able to sustain a high enough level of consistent success or maximize the program's potential.  Mike is a good coach.  There has never been a question in my opinion of would he fail at Arkansas because he won't.  But what happens if he can't maintain success?  Right now, some are telling others to just deal with it. Reasons are given as to why expectations should be tempered and remain very fluid.  It seems more important to some to have the coach we have and just accept whatever happens.  We went down this dangerous path as an athletic program and fan base before.  Venues such as in state media, talk radio and message boards told fans to shut up and deal with it.  It is starting again except this time we have The Card played. 

The program is at a crossroads.  We discussed this after this past season before the arrests and Kapita news.  The staff needs to provide the fans some hope that sustained success is coming and that the momentum that could have started from this past season is going to be built upon and instead of dying out.  The best case scenario for us, Mike and the program is for him to have sustained success and retire from Arkansas.  Again, he is too good to fail and the state appears it will provide enough help in terms of talent, and more if the staff can recruit it, for firing him for failure to be an option.  The realistic worst case is for inconsistency to lead to either apathy or infighting and I see both coming if the staff doesn't recruit well in these next couple of classes.  The program is already stale enough.  Portis and Qualls provided some interest this past season but our non conf scheduling is very blah(although RPI effective) and our conference is providing little in terms of intrigue. 

I know some are still throwing out 27 wins, in addition to The Card, in efforts to shut down or quiet down discussions.  It was one season.  A very good season but it may end up more of an anomaly than a start.  Anomalies don't keep the masses interested or happy.  We need to see if 2009 Mizzou and 2015 Arkansas are signs of what Mike's career is going to be consistently or were they exceptions.  The dynamics of this past season where the Hogs had the best player and often the two best on the court against a schedule that couldn't have set up much better are over. 

As far as the football coach vs basketball coach and The Card, we hired a football coach without ties to the university, state, program and not because of who his daddy knew.  We hired him to do a job and that is to run a clean program, represent the university well and win consistently.  So far, the program is heading in the right direction.  He isn't perfect and deserves and receives criticism.  If the program turns in the other direction or doesn't continue improving, he will receive more and a change will be made.  His hiring wasn't personal or political.  If we had hired Strong or an AA coach, he should have been judged in the same manner.  In basketball, it is personal right now.  For some, it seems to be more important who our coach is than the program itself. 

I'll end this with some optimism.  This offseason may not be quite as bad as it seems.  As far as the arrests, I don't believe it will turn out as bad as it seems to some or has been suggested by some.  And Kapita could very well end up playing soon at Arkansas.  Perhaps if he has to wait a year, the injury may heal better anyway.  We have a good recruit committed and plenty of spots for more.

I'll leave after that. Well done. +1

hellwonthaveme

Quote from: Atlhogfan1 on July 27, 2015, 02:14:45 pm

The program is at a crossroads.  We discussed this after this past season before the arrests and Kapita news.  The staff needs to provide the fans some hope that sustained success is coming and that the momentum that could have started from this past season is going to be built upon and instead of dying out.  The best case scenario for us, Mike and the program is for him to have sustained success and retire from Arkansas.  Again, he is too good to fail and the state appears it will provide enough help in terms of talent, and more if the staff can recruit it, for firing him for failure to be an option.  The realistic worst case is for inconsistency to lead to either apathy or infighting and I see both coming if the staff doesn't recruit well in these next couple of classes.  The program is already stale enough.  Portis and Qualls provided some interest this past season but our non conf scheduling is very blah(although RPI effective) and our conference is providing little in terms of intrigue. 

I'll end it this with some optimism.  This offseason may not be quite as bad as it seems.  As far as the arrests, I don't believe it will turn out as bad as it seems to some or has been suggested by some.  And Kapita could very well end up playing soon at Arkansas.  Perhaps if he has to wait a year, the injury may heal better anyway.  We have a good recruit committed and plenty of spots for more. 

Mike Anderson is no Houston Nutt. And it's a ludicrous comparison. Nutt was and still is a scumbag who was protected by a few crusty old men and some jackboot  thugs. Some of them still permeate this board. Houston Nutt was a Swedish toe nail clipper...that is all he ever was...and will ever be. I find not one lil bitty slice of humor in knowing that he clipped the toe nails of Daddy Frank while Daddy Frank played the guitar and the French harp...while Diane and Theresa played the tambourine.

Mike Anderson has already revived other programs. UAB was a dumpster fire...Mizzou was on the cocaine train...he fixed it. He has handled every job with class and dignity and respect for the title he was given to be responsible and guide young men.

Nutt was as sleazy as a tent revival preacher whose door is guarded by a one eyed carnival.barker...

Mike has none of those scumbag traits.

Did I mention I miss Houston?

PRJ

hogsanity

Quote from: Tom Bennett on July 27, 2015, 01:55:02 pm
I don't disagree with you; I'll simply add that I no longer believe any coach will be "hugely successful" here. There is an extremely short list of schools who can legitimately expect that, and I see no evidence that we're one of them.

Can you name another member of college basketball royalty that has largely been irrelevant for 15 years?

I have no idea how you define royalty. The college landscape is littered with teams that have risen from less than elite status to enjoy some pretty good success the last 15-20 years. Wichita St, Gonzaga, San Diego St. Pitt had a really good run for several years. I am sure there are others.

I think there is an erroneous perception that I think the Hogs should be Kentucky. Not at all, but in a landscape where 68 teams make the ncaat every year, there is no reason a above avg coach, and if you make 2mil plus you should perform above average, can't make the ncaat 5 out of every 7 years.

Atlhogfan1

Quote from: Porkrind Jimmy on July 27, 2015, 02:30:04 pm
Mike Anderson is no Houston Nutt. And it's a ludicrous comparison. Nutt was and still is a scumbag who was protected by a few crusty old men and some jackboot  thugs. Some of them still permeate this board. Houston Nutt was a Swedish toe nail clipper...that is all he ever was...and will ever be. I find not one lil bitty slice of humor in knowing that he clipped the toe nails of Daddy Frank while Daddy Frank played the guitar and the French harp...while Diane and Theresa played the tambourine.

Mike Anderson has already revived other programs. UAB was a dumpster fire...Mizzou was on the cocaine train...he fixed it. He has handled every job with class and dignity and respect for the title he was given to be responsible and guide young men.

Nutt was as sleazy as a tent revival preacher whose door is guarded by a one eyed carnival.barker...

PRJ

Read my post again.  I didn't compare Mike to Nutt personally and never would.  I agree with you on Nutt.  Mike has none of those traits.  He is entrenched though. 

Nutt isn't the only example of an entrenched coach.  We've seen it at other programs in college sports.  Most recently football where some aging coaches who had success at some point kept holding on as their programs declined.  Nolan did it.  Not popular here to say and he may not have been as entrenched as Bowden or Brown were in football  but the 2000 SECT extended his career and delayed the flame out.

Yes Mike had success at UAB and Mizzou.  It is why he was certainly qualified for our job and why he received the salary he did.  He earned both based on what he has done as a head coach.  Now he should have to have sustained success at Arkansas to keep both.  He has done a nice job with the program in terms of APR, academics and for the most part discipline.  All part of the job he is paid to do.
Quote from: MaconBacon on March 22, 2018, 10:30:04 amWe had a good run in the 90's and one NC and now the whole state still laments that we are a top seed program and have kids standing in line to come to good ole Arkansas.  We're just a flash in the pan boys. 

WilsonHog

Quote from: hogsanity on July 27, 2015, 02:42:52 pm
I have no idea how you define royalty. The college landscape is littered with teams that have risen from less than elite status to enjoy some pretty good success the last 15-20 years. Wichita St, Gonzaga, San Diego St. Pitt had a really good run for several years. I am sure there are others.

I think there is an erroneous perception that I think the Hogs should be Kentucky. Not at all, but in a landscape where 68 teams make the ncaat every year, there is no reason a above avg coach, and if you make 2mil plus you should perform above average, can't make the ncaat 5 out of every 7 years.

I think that depends on context.

Let's assume Mike announced his retirement tomorrow.

Do I expect our new coach to take us to the NCAA Tournament next spring? No. In the spring of 2017? No. Maybe in 2018. After that, barring unexpected developments, I expect it yearly.

To address a couple of your points, "basketball royalty" are those schools that pretty much do not miss a beat. Coaches come, coaches go, success continues...because of who they are, not because of who the coach is.

hellwonthaveme

Quote from: hogsanity on July 27, 2015, 02:42:52 pm

Down scholarships...grade problems causing those scholarship reductions...selfish players...drug problems..head cases...that is what he cleaned up. If he had ran the whole team off campus from day one...you people would still be calling for his head. You say 5 out of 7 years...Mike will be here at least another 5 years...lets see how it goes from here on out. He will meet your expectations

PRJ

hellwonthaveme

Quote from: Atlhogfan1 on July 27, 2015, 02:47:08 pm
Read my post again.  I didn't compare Mike to Nutt personally and never would.  I agree with you on Nutt.  Mike has none of those traits.  He is entrenched though. 

Nutt isn't the only example of an entrenched coach.  We've seen it at other programs in college sports.  Most recently football where some aging coaches who had success at some point kept holding on as their programs declined.  Nolan did it.  Not popular here to say and he may not have been as entrenched as Bowden or Brown were in football  but the 2000 SECT extended his career and delayed the flame out.

Yes Mike had success at UAB and Mizzou.  It is why he was certainly qualified for our job and why he received the salary he did.  He earned both based on what he has done as a head coach.  Now he should have to have sustained success at Arkansas to keep both.  He has done a nice job with the program in terms of APR, academics and for the most part discipline.  All part of the job he is paid to do.

And he won 27 games last year also. Tragedies happen every day...mistakes happen every day..and sometimes the ball just bounces the wrong way..and this has been Mike's luck this offseason.

And my post wasn't really directed at you...alot of folks pulling the fire alarm prematurely...

PRJ

hogsanity

Quote from: Porkrind Jimmy on July 27, 2015, 02:51:15 pm
Down scholarships...grade problems causing those scholarship reductions...selfish players...drug problems..head cases...that is what he cleaned up. If he had ran the whole team off campus from day one...you people would still be calling for his head. You say 5 out of 7 years...Mike will be here at least another 5 years...lets see how it goes from here on out. He will meet your expectations

PRJ

No one is calling for his head, no one. That is a fallacy dreamed up by those hell bent on defending his every sneeze and hiccup.

This is his team, completely, not one player on it he did not recruit. No one should question if he runs clean programs or not. To my knowledge there has never been a hint of improprieties at any of his HC stops, as far as things he controls.

He will meet my expectations, because I never expected much when he was hired. Actually, I expected exactly what we have gotten, one good year, fueled by a home grown superstar, and then looking at a complete rebuild ( even before the counterfeit money fiasco ), and hanging all their hopes on another in state superstar, who they may not even convince to come play here at all.

hogsanity

Quote from: Tom Bennett on July 27, 2015, 02:51:13 pm
I think that depends on context.

Let's assume Mike announced his retirement tomorrow.

Do I expect our new coach to take us to the NCAA Tournament next spring? No. In the spring of 2017? No. Maybe in 2018. After that, barring unexpected developments, I expect it yearly.

To address a couple of your points, "basketball royalty" are those schools that pretty much do not miss a beat. Coaches come, coaches go, success continues...because of who they are, not because of who the coach is.

Is anyone really royalty then? Kentucky suffered when BCG was there, NC dropped after Dean left ( although it took a couple of years ). No ones knows what will happen at Duke when coach k leaves. Indiana tanked after Knight left. UCLA has been to the grave and back 3 or 4 times.

HotlantaHog

I am a MA fan and supporter. But I agree ... There is little he can say about the player suspension but it wouldn't be bad for him to be out there expressing some optimism about the season and long-term future.

Kevin

Quote from: Tom Bennett on July 27, 2015, 01:55:02 pm

If the university of Arkansas is not trying to be elite, then why are they spending/ have spent millions on facilities. Lots of teams have worse facilities, and stay in the upper half of average.
Submit yourselves therefore to God. Resist the devil and he will flee from you.<br />James 4:7

Kevin

Quote from: Tom Bennett on July 27, 2015, 01:31:32 pm

I will try. Most of your post is why I did not want him. Most people did not look at the total body of work when he was hired. All you heard was one elite eight & no losing season. But if you looked deeper, he is going to win, on average 23 games a year, play in the first weekend of the tournament.

Now you stated in another post,, you don't think we will ever be royalty, so mike's average is good with you.  Which is fine.

Just stop spending millions, acting like you want to be royalty

Last, he cannot be fired.  Just don't like being in that position. Someone has said the program would have to go off the rails for anything to be done.  Under no circumstance do I want our program to go to that depth.

Sorry, if I rambled was having a conversation with the wife while posting.

Go hogs. Get it done coach Anderson

WilsonHog

Quote from: Kevin on July 27, 2015, 04:04:29 pm
I will try. Most of your post is why I did not want him. Most people did not look at the total body of work when he was hired. All you heard was one elite eight & no losing season. But if you looked deeper, he is going to win, on average 23 games a year, play in the first weekend of the tournament.

Now you stated in another post,, you don't think we will ever be royalty, so mike's average is good with you.  Which is fine.

Just stop spending millions, acting like you want to be royalty

Last, he cannot be fired.  Just don't like being in that position. Someone has said the program would have to go off the rails for anything to be done.  Under no circumstance do I want our program to go to that depth.

Sorry, if I rambled was having a conversation with the wife while posting.

Go hogs. Get it done coach Anderson

I don't think you can "buy" elite status; you either have it, or you don't. We thought we had it; we were wrong. Otherwise, we wouldn't have spent the last 15 years in the wilderness, most of which were spent dicking around with guys like Pelphrey and Heath.

We are on our third coach since we last enjoyed "elite" status, and Nolan's last few years weren't great (by our definition at the time; I'd kill for them now).

As far as when I think we will be a perennial top 10 program again, I don't.

A program that can win 20+ a season and go to the NCAAs most years? Yeah, we can do that.

ArkansasI

Quote from: Tom Bennett on July 27, 2015, 04:47:30 pm
I don't think you can "buy" elite status; you either have it, or you don't. We thought we had it; we were wrong. Otherwise, we wouldn't have spent the last 15 years in the wilderness, most of which were spent dicking around with guys like Pelphrey and Heath.

We are on our third coach since we last enjoyed "elite" status, and Nolan's last few years weren't great (by our definition at the time; I'd kill for them now).

A program that can win 20+ a season and go to the NCAAs most years? Yeah, we can do that.
Whoaaaaa Tom.  Hold it my friend.  We agree that Arkansas can't buy elite status, but you are flat wrong when you claim that Arkansas was not an elite program.

Check the rafters.  Arkansas has been elite.  We're not now, but our fall from grace was hard and not difficult to understand.

People may disagree with me or simply think I'm crazy, but I believe that part of our fall occurred because our program focused solely on basketball.  We were not sufficiently committed to our players.

But let's be perfectly clear - it has taken elite coaches for Arkansas to be an elite basketball program.  We didn't need a specific coach to be elite - we've been elite with more than one guy.  One coach got us a national championship and a return to the national championship game.  But Arkansas has managed excellence with more than one coach.

Mike has not proven himself to be an elite coach.  Yet, Arkansas has paid Mike to be elite.  This is the problem...

That stated, I do not blame Mike for the problems that Beard, Williams and Thomas find themselves in.  Beard made a terrible decision - this saddens me.  I reserve judgment on the other two.

However, I am amazed that reasonable people defend Mike's recruiting.  It is at best incomplete.  I don't care what Bobby told the coaching staff, any reasonable mind could see that an SEC MVP season might be Bobby's maximum potential at Arkansas.  Millions of dollars influence minds.  I don't blame Bobby at all.  I know that millions of dollars would influence me.

Until Kapita is made eligible, we have a major fail.  If Ted makes it to campus this fall, then we have a fail, the level of which is to be determined.

Atlhogfan1

This elite conversation makes me think of a recent conversation I had with a delusional Mizzou fan who said their history and tradition exceeded Arkansas'.  And he tried to make the case that the job was better because they have KC and StL from which to recruit.  Too bad for them they don't come close to controlling either area in terms of recruiting.  I had to politely correct that nonsense and enlighten him to how NCAAT appearances, wins, Final 4's and of course NC compare between the two.  I have some respect for their basketball history.  I hate Mizzou but having them in the SEC should at some point help SEC basketball (as it can use all the help it can get).  They have a good history.

Mizzou: 
26 NCAAT's
22 NCAA wins(NCAA has taken a few for infractions)

We aren't elite but:
30 NCAAT's
41 NCAAT wins
6 Final 4's
1 NC

Our fan base isn't as stupid or as spoiled as some want to paint it as.  We can see when something special may be coming.  Go ahead and make this job seem as hard as possible if you want.  That it is near impossible to have sustained success here.  If Hog fans don't see signs success are coming, our give a darn will decline.  The job isn't as bad or hard as some of you are trying to make it.  This isn't the uphill battle in terms of competition we face in football.  The staff has seemed to right the ship off the court and their foundation should be set. 

Kevin

Quote from: Tom Bennett on July 27, 2015, 04:47:30 pm

Then why are we spending all that money to build facilities. I did not say buy elite. If they are not trying to be elite, then why are they spending so much money.

WilsonHog

Quote from: Kevin on July 27, 2015, 09:24:45 pm
Then why are we spending all that money to build facilities. I did not say buy elite. If they are not trying to be elite, then why are they spending so much money.

I expect the powers that be believe we are trying to be an elite basketball school...which is why they hired Mike. I cannot help it if a few people on Jump Ball don't share their view.

ricepig

Truthfully, because we have so much of it, and our counterparts have already done so.

dhornjr1

Quote from: Porkrind Jimmy on July 27, 2015, 02:30:04 pm

PRJ

This post deserves a +1 just for the Merle Haggard reference.

WilsonHog

As far as how much money they are spending on coaches' salaries, facilities, etc., I do not care. In fact, care so little that I couldn't tell you any figures whatsoever. They make what they make. In all the years I've been a Hog fan, probably 40, I've never once made a judgment about a coach based on how much money he made. I've never once been prevented from attending a game because the coach made too much money or the stadium cost too much.

azhog10

Quote from: Kevin on July 27, 2015, 12:01:42 pm

Its very much race related for some. I'll say it.

ArkansasI

Most people's compensation reflects the value they bring to their employer or whoever is paying them. My guess is the reason you don't care what the coaches earn is because you are paying a modest fraction of their salaries.

When the people who pay significant portions of Mike's salary stop sensing an adequate return, then a change will be made. These are the people that brought Mike home.

I hope that Mike exceeds all expectations. Mike is living his dream on the Hill - can't we all see that?  I am ELATED for his success and honestly believe that few Razorback fans want Mike gone.

As for me, I haven't seen a miraculous turn around in the basketball program since his return home. Last year was fun, but it doesn't appear that the Hogs should expect sustained growth. If Kapita clears, that would help fans... a lot.

Perhaps the most important thing that Mike can do is gain Malik's commitment as soon as possible. I know he's doing everything he can to gain his pledge. It would certainly settle some concerns.

If Malik doesn't choose to be a Razorback, then I'm afraid the future becomes more cloudy. What would Malik's commitment elsewhere say about Mike?  It would tell me that we don't have the right coach.

That's a lot of pressure on Mike. And it's a lot of pressure on Malik. I hope they're both up to the challenge.

GO HOGS!

farmhawg

Quote from: hogsanity on July 27, 2015, 12:36:18 pm

no post season
nit
ncaat
sweet 16
no post season

And you were one of the biggest nut supporters. Amazing how your stance changes.....
From theflyinghog

Jeff Long is sitting around drinking some fruity girl drink and reading this and realizing he was the wrong man for the job. We're crazy. We love us some damn hog football. There may be a bunch of suits sitting behind glass on gameday but dammit you better not cross us airplane-tracking, fence-jumping, hangar-breakin-entering night-vision purchasin sumbitches! We're Miracle on Markham and 4th and 25, 7 overtime-winning tear down the goalposts and drag em down Dickson because you ain't goin to the BCS, fat phil!! BRING ME A COACH WITH A PAIR AND SACRIFICE A VIRGIN CUZ ITS TIME TO FUSCING WIN!!!!

farmhawg

Quote from: azhog10 on July 27, 2015, 10:52:50 pm
Its very much race related for some. I'll say it.
Absolutely, just look in the bb recruiting forum.
From theflyinghog

Jeff Long is sitting around drinking some fruity girl drink and reading this and realizing he was the wrong man for the job. We're crazy. We love us some damn hog football. There may be a bunch of suits sitting behind glass on gameday but dammit you better not cross us airplane-tracking, fence-jumping, hangar-breakin-entering night-vision purchasin sumbitches! We're Miracle on Markham and 4th and 25, 7 overtime-winning tear down the goalposts and drag em down Dickson because you ain't goin to the BCS, fat phil!! BRING ME A COACH WITH A PAIR AND SACRIFICE A VIRGIN CUZ ITS TIME TO FUSCING WIN!!!!

hogsanity

Quote from: farmhawg on July 28, 2015, 07:05:20 am
And you were one of the biggest nut supporters. Amazing how your stance changes.....

How so?  Like it or not, HDN had a lot of success as the Hogs HC. took the team to the seccg twice, played in several new years day bowls, beat the snot out of the Longhorns twice.

Some do not want to admit it, but a college basketball program is looked at on what it does in the post season. No one out side of of Arkansas cares if they won 27 games last year. You know what the nation saw? They saw KY blast them in the sectcg, they saw them struggle to win their 1st ncaat game, and then they saw them lose to NC. What they see for the last 4 years is two seasons of no post season, a NIT blowout at CAL, and the ncaat. What they are likely to see this year is at best a NIT appearance.

texas tush hog

Quote from: hawgfan4life on July 23, 2015, 08:47:35 pm
Exactly!  A good coach would be recruiting great players to come in to replace any players that might get into trouble and kicked off the team.

Easier said than done. Give Mike a break, it's going to be a long hard climb, but I bet he can put out an acceptable product. As long as your expectations are not Elite-8 or above.
Be realistic, and we will be fine.

hogsanity

Quote from: texas tush hog on July 28, 2015, 10:06:41 am
Easier said than done. Give Mike a break, it's going to be a long hard climb, but I bet he can put out an acceptable product. As long as your expectations are not Elite-8 or above.
Be realistic, and we will be fine.

In today's college basketball, if your goal is not elite 8 or above, whats the point?

texas tush hog

Quote from: hogsanity on July 28, 2015, 10:18:35 am
In today's college basketball, if your goal is not elite 8 or above, whats the point?

Under normal circumstances, yes, but get real, we just had a train wreck of apocalyptic proportions which Mike is not responsible for. Can't believe I am responding to a Nutthugger.

Hawg Red

Quote from: Mike Irwin on July 27, 2015, 07:31:30 am

How far into the season did Anderson know Nick Babb was leaving? With how quickly it went down, I'd say Anderson probably knew for a while (perhaps why he didn't play Babb in the first place?). You know where I'm going with this.

The numbers will always work themselves out because there's a gigantic transfer culture in college basketball right now. When's the last time the Hogs didn't lose someone to transfer under Anderson? It's happened every year he's been here because it's happening everywhere else in college basketball. That's why you still recruit to replace Portis, and if he really does decide to stay, you still have that spot for the player you technically over-signed for (Anderson's over-signed at Arkansas before). Worst case scenario is you somehow escape with no one transferring (unlikely) and you have to sit down with Keaton Miles and just shoot him straight. Keaton's had the 4-year college experience and has graduated. Mike has even made comments that he wasn't exactly impressed with his willingness to fight for playing time (and he's been injured, as he has his entire college career). I know you've already said that you think Mike wouldn't do that, and you may be right. But it's an acceptable plan.

But my thinking is, you have a guy as good as Portis, you HAVE TO operate under the assumption he's leaving because 8 or 9 times out of 10 he will. If he doesn't, you'll figure the rest out, but a coach, in today's game, cannot just sit there and take a kid at his word knowing that the tone almost always changes when they can smell the money and let the emotion of the season wear off. Anderson had to know better. One could even say it's his job. He has to be prepared. He wasn't.

I know you won't agree with me, and that's fine. I'm still a big fan of you and I love your opinions on things even when I don't agree. I miss hearing you on the radio everyday in the noon hour. But I think your thinking is a little antiquated here, and I believe Anderson's may be too. I just think a high-major D1 coach has to be more proactive in situations like this, especially when their forte is not the reactiveness.

GuvHog

Quote from: hogsanity on July 27, 2015, 03:04:25 pm
No one is calling for his head, no one. That is a fallacy dreamed up by those hell bent on defending his every sneeze and hiccup.

This is his team, completely, not one player on it he did not recruit. No one should question if he runs clean programs or not. To my knowledge there has never been a hint of improprieties at any of his HC stops, as far as things he controls.

He will meet my expectations, because I never expected much when he was hired. Actually, I expected exactly what we have gotten, one good year, fueled by a home grown superstar, and then looking at a complete rebuild ( even before the counterfeit money fiasco ), and hanging all their hopes on another in state superstar, who they may not even convince to come play here at all.

Mike isn't on the Hot seat and I haven't noticed anyone calling for his head either but anyone who doesn't believe Mike has a serious problem when it comes to this years team has their head buried in the sand. Is he capable of solving it?? Absolutely, but it remains to be seen how he'll do that.
Bleeding Razorback Red Since Birth!!!

bigdaddyhawg

Quote from: Porkrind Jimmy on July 27, 2015, 02:54:47 pm
And he won 27 games last year also.

Good point.

Tragedies happen every day...mistakes happen every day..and sometimes the ball just bounces the wrong way..

Ok, another good point.

..and this has been Mike's luck this offseason.

Luck?? We're going to slide this current situation off as bad luck?

It's not been bad luck.  That is pure baloney.

Results like this are not determined by bad luck.  Each of these "tragedies" can be traced to a point of origin, and none of them had to do with bad luck.

Most of it can simply be traced to weak recruiting.  Mike and his staff had nothing but whiffs this spring, and there was a drastic need for them to hit homeruns. 

But doubles and singles would have been awesome.  But to never put the bat to the ball, well, that goes way, WAY beyond bad luck.

As far as Williams and Beard ... I remember a recent quote "You recruit your problems".  It's true.

This is not a doomsday post, nor a "fire Mike" post.  This is a post to give a perspective that needs to be acknowledged.

Mike and his staff have earned a year of grace IMO.  But I also believe they'd better be fighting their best fight out on the recruiting trail, every day, every step, because if they don't start having successes out there, things are not going to be pretty.
Let us then turn this government back into the channel in which the framers of the Constitution originally placed it.  Abraham Lincoln, 1858

SuperSid4Ever

Quote from: hawgfan4life on July 23, 2015, 08:47:35 pm
Exactly!  A good coach would be recruiting great players to come in to replace any players that might get into trouble and kicked off the team.

If only it were that simple.  Unfortunately, not too many capable players are going to come here with the understanding that they'll be sitting on the bench while hoping that the 2-3 players in front of them are going to get caught counterfeiting and committing forgery.

We just lost a heckuva class.  Losing these players at this juncture certainly hurts, and while next season will most likely suck, the bright side is that it opens the door for as many as 3 more players who want to come here the following season and compete immediately for playing time.