Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Mike Anderson Era at a Crossroads.............

Started by hoglady, July 23, 2015, 06:24:48 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Hawg Red

Quote from: ricepig on July 29, 2015, 11:16:28 am
I guess we'll have to disagree on "freebie," I don't say it doesn't count, but if we suck bad, he won't be fired type "freebie." I also agree he should have landed someone to replace Qualls, just as you said to avoid any roster disruption.

I don't think we disagree, but I wasn't thinking him being fired was even be a part of the conversation (that may surprise some to see me say that). A bad season here goes in his file (so to speak), is what I was getting at. It counts towards the resume. Could be his first losing season ever.

ricepig

Quote from: hogsanity on July 29, 2015, 11:21:06 am
they could go 10-23 and he won't even be on a seat that is warm. He is not getting fired, not after this season, not after next season. He would have to have 3 consecutive non post season seasons to get booted.

I've got no problem with that.

ricepig

Quote from: Hawg Red on July 29, 2015, 11:24:38 am
I don't think we disagree, but I wasn't thinking him being fired was even be a part of the conversation (that may surprise some to see me say that). A bad season here goes in his file (so to speak), is what I was getting at. It counts towards the resume. Could be his first losing season ever.

Yep, it goes on his file.

PonderinHog

ricepig

Quote from: PonderinHog on July 29, 2015, 11:30:37 am
Do you think it will keep him out of Hog Heaven ???

No, but not the Principal's office.

PonderinHog

ricepig

TomBigBeeHog

Quote from: Hawg Red on July 29, 2015, 11:10:03 am
Is Jeff Long giving him a freebie? Did I miss that announcement? I wouldn't think Long would want to see a 27-win season followed by a 15-win season (or thereabouts).

No one is saying Anderson's job should be in jeopardy if we have a poor season, but to say that it basically doesn't count if he does? Ridiculous. He would be partially responsible for the Hogs have a down year (if that happens). Flip side is, it would look that much better if the team does well. But I can't get down with saying it doesn't matter if the team does bad but it does if they do well. That's essentially what a "freebie" in this situation. The season will be what it will be, and whatever happens, it's going to reflect on Anderson to whatever degree (we can argue that all day long).

They haven't had a poor season yet and I never said that it doesn't count if MA does have a poor season. I think that context matters as to how next season is viewed ie., recruiting for 2016 class and development of current players in the upcoming season.
I spent most of my life drankin', gamblin', and chasing women, the rest I just wasted.

hogsanity

Quote from: ricepig on July 29, 2015, 11:29:08 am
I've got no problem with that.

Just to be clear, you are just peachy with a coach in years 5 6 and 7 not making it to any post season play?  If so, you may be the poster boy for the blind love of Mike Anderson group some of us are talking about
People ask me what I do in winter when there is no baseball.  I will tell you what I do. I stare out the window, and I wait for spring.

"Anything goes wrong, anything at all, your fault, my fault, nobodies fault, I'm going to blow your head off."  John Wayne in BIG JAKE

ricepig

Quote from: hogsanity on July 29, 2015, 11:49:14 am
Just to be clear, you are just peachy with a coach in years 5 6 and 7 not making it to any post season play?  If so, you may be the poster boy for the blind love of Mike Anderson group some of us are talking about

Nah, I really don't care about him one way or another. I think he is an average recruiter and coach, but his resume has produced results over it's tenure. I also don't believe in firing coach's every few bad seasons.

WilsonHog

Quote from: hogsanity on July 29, 2015, 11:49:14 am

Well, just to be clear, I have no problem with us not making the postseason this year. If we don't make the postseason for the two years after that, I have no problem with Mike being fired.

I see you still haven't shown me, on the facts, that Mike wasn't the best coach we've hired in 45 years.

hogsanity

Quote from: Tom Bennett on July 29, 2015, 11:57:59 am
Well, just to be clear, I have no problem with us not making the postseason this year. If we don't make the postseason for the two years after that, I have no problem with Mike being fired.

I see you still haven't shown me, on the facts, that Mike wasn't the best coach we've hired in 45 years.

Nolan was much better than Mike when we hired him. At Tulsa in his 5 years they had a 70+ win %, had been to the nit or ncaa every season. Not too mention his record as a HS coach and in JC.
People ask me what I do in winter when there is no baseball.  I will tell you what I do. I stare out the window, and I wait for spring.

"Anything goes wrong, anything at all, your fault, my fault, nobodies fault, I'm going to blow your head off."  John Wayne in BIG JAKE

Hawg Red

Quote from: TomBigBeeHog on July 29, 2015, 11:48:32 am
They haven't had a poor season yet and I never said that it doesn't count if MA does have a poor season. I think that context matters as to how next season is viewed ie., recruiting for 2016 class and development of current players in the upcoming season.

The whole discussion centered about next season being a "freebie." I agree with everything you're saying, but I took "freebie" to mean anything positive is a bonus (have since cleared that up). You know, like a free play in football. Throw a bomb downfield and if it's an INT, it doesn't count. If it's a TD, you decline the penalty and take the points.

HotlantaHog

Not sure the season should or will be considered a ''freebie''. Every season matters. Also not sure next season is going to be a disaster that many see. There are lots of moving parts. And whether some players will have roles is still TBD.

WilsonHog

Quote from: hogsanity on July 29, 2015, 12:18:05 pm
Nolan was much better than Mike when we hired him. At Tulsa in his 5 years they had a 70+ win %, had been to the nit or ncaa every season. Not too mention his record as a HS coach and in JC.

So the only coach more qualified than Mike, in your eyes, was the one man at whose feet he learned the game.

I can agree with that, I suppose. Thanks.

bigdaddyhawg

Quote from: Tom Bennett on July 29, 2015, 12:58:13 pm
So the only coach more qualified than Mike, in your eyes, was the one man at whose feet he learned the game.

Eddie was a better coach than Mike is IMO, and I believe his career results support that.

I don't think Eddie was as good a coach as Nolan, though.
Let us then turn this government back into the channel in which the framers of the Constitution originally placed it.  Abraham Lincoln, 1858

WilsonHog

Quote from: bigdaddyhawg on July 29, 2015, 01:09:06 pm
Eddie was a better coach than Mike is IMO, and I believe his career results support that.

I don't think Eddie was as good a coach as Nolan, though.

I agree with you; I was doing a comparison at the time of their respective hires.

bigdaddyhawg

Quote from: Tom Bennett on July 29, 2015, 01:16:01 pm
I agree with you; I was doing a comparison at the time of their respective hires.

Gotcha.
Let us then turn this government back into the channel in which the framers of the Constitution originally placed it.  Abraham Lincoln, 1858

JayBell

All I know is a bunch of us were castigated over the last two years for pointing out that this situation was looming if Anderson didn't make some changes.  As with his coaching style, Mike hasn't changed a damn thing.  He had two more scholarships to work with at the end of the year and did nothing with them.  That itself was extremely disappointing.

As much as I've criticized Anderson, I've praised his leadership of the program.  Grades were on the rise, everybody was graduating and there was hardly ever any disciplinary issues.  With the recent arrests, that may need to be re-evaluated.

JayBell

That being said, I don't see it as a doomsday scenario like others do.  It's still a team that can play Anderson's system (they better, because he's not changing it).  No one is good enough to not be subbed out, so he should be shuttling in 10 guys easy.

You've still got Miles, Kouassi and Thompson to go with Kingsley inside.  I really do think Moses will have a huge year.  IMO, Anderson's substitution patters have held Kingsley back more than anything.  Then Whitt, Durham, Hannahs, Bell and Watkins outside.

Again, it's nothing spectacular, but they could still win 8 games in the SEC.  Win 8 SEC games and 8 out of conference and they could get to 16 wins.  If Whitt, Bell and Hannahs really start to hit from the outside, then Arkansas could push for a few more.

hogsanity

Only among the choices given. They have only hired 5  ( 6 if you count Altman ) mens bball HC's in that span. 

WilsonHog

July 29, 2015, 02:46:34 pm #171 Last Edit: July 29, 2015, 02:58:19 pm by Tom Bennett
Quote from: hogsanity on July 29, 2015, 02:13:13 pm
Only among the choices given. They have only hired 5  ( 6 if you count Altman ) mens bball HC's in that span.

It amazes me that a percentage of our fan base just thinks we can go hire whoever we want. Delusional. Then again, most fan bases are. It ought to become a drinking game.

With the recent hires of Bobby Petrino and Bret Bielema, we at least are beginning to develop a track record in football. We have no such track record in basketball.

hogsanity

Quote from: Tom Bennett on July 29, 2015, 02:46:34 pm
It amazes me that a percentage of our fab base just thinks we can go hire whoever we want. Delusional. Then again, most fan bases are. It ought to become a drinking game.

With the recent hires of Bobby Petrino and Bret Bielema, we at least are beginning to develop a track record in football. We have no such track record in basketball.

I never said we could have gone out and hired anybody. I have always said they could have found a lot of guys with the same career stats as Mike had.   

WilsonHog

Quote from: hogsanity on July 29, 2015, 02:51:53 pm
I never said we could have gone out and hired anybody. I have always said they could have found a lot of guys with the same career stats as Mike had.

Didn't say you, specifically. I said, "a percentage of our fan base."

I guarantee you that if Mike left next spring, we'd have folks up here tossing around the names of coaches who have turned down much better jobs than ours has become over the last 15 or so years. 

ricepig

Quote from: Tom Bennett on July 29, 2015, 03:00:15 pm

I guarantee you that if Mike left next spring, we'd have folks up here tossing around the names of coaches who have turned down much better jobs than ours has become over the last 15 or so years. 

I've got it on good word that Coach K always wanted to retire in NWA......

hamARchy in the USA

Quote from: hogsanity on July 29, 2015, 12:18:05 pm

Sutton and Richardson didn't have a track record at this level prior to their hire but Arkansas had an AD who knew how to identify coaching talent.  Those two quickly showed the caliber of coach they were.  Sutton won a SWC championship in only his third year after taking over what appeared by many to be a hopeless job.  Richardson had his first championship in his fourth season.

Elite programs are a result of elite leadership.  That's been missing at Arkansas since John White inserted himself.

hogsanity

Quote from: Tom Bennett on July 29, 2015, 03:00:15 pm

That I do not doubt.

WarPig88

Quote from: hamARchy in the USA on July 29, 2015, 03:11:51 pm
Sutton and Richardson didn't have a track record at this level prior to their hire but Arkansas had an AD who knew how to identify coaching talent.  Those two quickly showed the caliber of coach they were.  Sutton won a SWC championship in only his third year after taking over what appeared by many to be a hopeless job.  Richardson had his first championship in his fourth season.

Elite programs are a result of elite leadership.  That's been missing at Arkansas since John White inserted himself.

John White tried to fire Broyles. JFB pimp slapped him with his political ties when that happened. John White did inject himself, but Broyles literally could have stopped all interference at any time he wanted.

JFB shouldn't get a pass for sitting back and watching.