Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Mike Anderson Era at a Crossroads.............

Started by hoglady, July 23, 2015, 06:24:48 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

hoglady

http://www.arkansasfight.com/2015/7/23/9020293/mike-anderson-era-crossroads-arkansas-razorbacks-basketball

"If you're keeping score, that's 10 open spots for new players over the last two years if you count the Keaton Miles transfer, and the only player to be genuinely excited about at this point is Whitt. That doesn't mean some of those players won't improve or turn out to be better than expected, but they'll have to prove it on the court.

That's the main reason Arkansas is in this position, and the main reason it's difficult not to think Anderson's fate at Arkansas won't be directly tied to the success of the 2016 recruiting class.

With the loss of Kapita, the Razorbacks have seven open scholarships for the 2016 group, and if Beard and Thomas don't make it back, that will be nine (!) spots. That's essentially an entirely new roster that Arkansas will have to live or die with for multiple seasons, and it must include some stars. Role players who "fit the system" won't be enough. This is the group that will define the program for the next 2-4 years."

This is a very fair concise article.
Inside every "older" person is a younger person wondering what the hell happened?

"Compassion for animals is intimately associated with goodness of character, and it may be confidently asserted that he who is cruel to animals cannot be a good man."
― Arthur Schopenhauer, The Basis of Morality

moses_007

The Hogs lost 90 percent of their scoring.  Madden and Harris graduated, Portis and Qualls went pro, and Beard and Williams may be lost as well.  Who's left to pick up the slack?  Unless Whitt can score 50 points a game, we're in deep trouble.

A young team like we'll have simply can't win in the SEC.  Auburn last year was like that... they played hard, but couldn't win games.

Omahabound

Quote from: moses_007 on July 23, 2015, 06:30:16 pm
The Hogs lost 90 percent of their scoring.  Madden and Harris graduated, Portis and Qualls went pro, and Beard and Williams may be lost as well.  Who's left to pick up the slack?  Unless Whitt can score 50 points a game, we're in deep trouble.

A young team like we'll have simply can't win in the SEC.  Auburn last year was like that... they played hard, but couldn't win games.
Witt better score 75 a game!

moses_007

Quote from: Omahabound on July 23, 2015, 06:35:17 pm
Witt better score 75 a game!
He'd better be as good as Michael Jordan.  Now, if we could only find a Scottie Pippen too.

nwahogfan1

Quote from: hoglady on July 23, 2015, 06:24:48 pm
http://www.arkansasfight.com/2015/7/23/9020293/mike-anderson-era-crossroads-arkansas-razorbacks-basketball

"If you're keeping score, that's 10 open spots for new players over the last two years if you count the Keaton Miles transfer, and the only player to be genuinely excited about at this point is Whitt. That doesn't mean some of those players won't improve or turn out to be better than expected, but they'll have to prove it on the court.

That's the main reason Arkansas is in this position, and the main reason it's difficult not to think Anderson's fate at Arkansas won't be directly tied to the success of the 2016 recruiting class.

With the loss of Kapita, the Razorbacks have seven open scholarships for the 2016 group, and if Beard and Thomas don't make it back, that will be nine (!) spots. That's essentially an entirely new roster that Arkansas will have to live or die with for multiple seasons, and it must include some stars. Role players who "fit the system" won't be enough. This is the group that will define the program for the next 2-4 years."

Lets see if he does as good a job as Coach Dykes of signing a mixture of JUCOs AAs and HS players.

I am hoping also for one or two Senior transfers who have one year of eligible.

Big Nasty 34

If we truly only have a 9 man squad, they could all average their high school numbers in scoring and we still might not break 80. Going to be lot of ugly ball I'm afraid :/

hoglady

Well, to me 2015-16 year is just going to be a tough one. Hope we have players who play hard and never quit. If they do that - I will be happy no matter the record.
The most important thing for the future stability of the program is the 2016 signing class. Probably the most important class in Arkansas basketball history.
Inside every "older" person is a younger person wondering what the hell happened?

"Compassion for animals is intimately associated with goodness of character, and it may be confidently asserted that he who is cruel to animals cannot be a good man."
― Arthur Schopenhauer, The Basis of Morality

HF#1

If there is an area to criticize Mike, it's not being proactive on the recruiting trail. 
"We are all born ignorant, but one must work hard to remain stupid."  <br /><br />Benjamin Franklin

hawgfan4life

Quote from: HF#1 on July 23, 2015, 08:24:04 pm
If there is an area to criticize Mike, it's not being proactive on the recruiting trail. 

Exactly!  A good coach would be recruiting great players to come in to replace any players that might get into trouble and kicked off the team.

Big Nasty 34

I feel like we really need to bring in a top 10 class to right the ship. We have several scholarships, but still can't strike out much with them. Hope MA can pull it off, I like the guy and want us to be successful.

TejasPete

MA knew Portis was gone and that Qualls could be....yet lands only one good recruit and can't convince Babb to stay. We were gonna be below average even before Williams and Beard went full retard.

majp51

Quote from: hawgfan4life on July 23, 2015, 08:47:35 pm
Exactly!  A good coach would be recruiting great players to come in to replace any players that might get into trouble and kicked off the team.

I hope that is in need of a sarcasm emoticon. Only coaches who can come close to what you are saying are at places like Duke or Kansas or Kentucky.

Now not having someone in place for Qualls is arguably another story

TejasPete

Quote from: majp51 on July 23, 2015, 09:13:27 pm
I hope that is in need of a sarcasm emoticon. Only coaches who can come close to what you are saying are at places like Duke or Kansas or Kentucky.

Babb was in place but Mike couldn't keep him around.

Hawghiggs

Quote from: hawgfan4life on July 23, 2015, 08:47:35 pm
We simply cannot do that. This isn't the mid 90's anymore. Big time players aren't coming here.  What we need to start doing is not waste our time on players that aren't coming. Since we are basically going to have to rebuild now anyways. Then lets go out and try and sign three players that are at least 6'10". They don't have to be 4 or 5 star players. Heck, I would take 2 star players.

secfan30

Quote from: TejasPete on July 23, 2015, 09:09:09 pm
MA knew Portis was gone and that Qualls could be....yet lands only one good recruit and can't convince Babb to stay. We were gonna be below average even before Williams and Beard went full retard.

As it has been said by those that actually know a thing or two, everyone, including Portis' girlfriend, thought he was coming back up until a few days before he announced. Check some of Mike Irwin's post to find this.

3kgthog

Quote from: majp51 on July 23, 2015, 09:13:27 pm

I seem to remember that we used to beat teams like that quite regularly. A better recruiter could make it happen here again. Too bad this staff doesn't have that kind of recruiting ability or at least the coaching ability to take Burger King AAs and get more than 1 NCAAT win in 5 years.

I support Mike and want him to do well, but he's got himself a big hole in the program and I'm not sure he can fix it before it's too late. It'll be especially tough if football continues to improve and more fans wonder why basketball must wait 3-4 years between rays of sunshine.

Letsroll1200

Quote from: 3kgthog on July 23, 2015, 11:33:56 pm
I seem to remember that we used to beat teams like that quite regularly. A better recruiter could make it happen here again. Too bad this staff doesn't have that kind of recruiting ability or at least the coaching ability to take Burger King AAs and get more than 1 NCAAT win in 5 years.

I support Mike and want him to do well, but he's got himself a big hole in the program and I'm not sure he can fix it before it's too late. It'll be especially tough if football continues to improve and more fans wonder why basketball must wait 3-4 years between rays of sunshine.

Please don't mention the average football team! They finished the regular season 6-6 but the basketball team finished second in the conference.

Make a point without mentioning our great football program that is improving.

TrueBlue

Should CMA be held accountable for his players actions? If you take in account that a coach should not only recruit with emphasis on a player's ability but also his character, then yes. The player is a reflection on his coach just like a child is a reflection on their parent.

The transfer from Colorado hasn't even played a game yet - makes you wonder if there were red flags at Colorado that made him want to transfer away...it sure didn't take him long to get into trouble. If there were issues at Colorado - then we have a problem in our recruiting efforts.

Worst thing about this is what happens when you start peeling back layers and it is revealed that there were a couple of more players implicated? Not saying there will be but Beard and Jacorey were tight with a lot of players on the team. If there were more players, this program will implode. 

azhog10

Quote from: TejasPete on July 23, 2015, 09:09:09 pm
If only this were true.

hogsanity

Quote from: azhog10 on July 24, 2015, 09:03:21 am
If only this were true.

What is not true about it? The odds were far greater that Portis would leave than stay, Qualls had family to support, and Babb left, even though he was in line to get a lot more playing time.
People ask me what I do in winter when there is no baseball.  I will tell you what I do. I stare out the window, and I wait for spring.

"Anything goes wrong, anything at all, your fault, my fault, nobodies fault, I'm going to blow your head off."  John Wayne in BIG JAKE

azhog10

Quote from: hogsanity on July 24, 2015, 09:11:23 am
What is not true about it? The odds were far greater that Portis would leave than stay, Qualls had family to support, and Babb left, even though he was in line to get a lot more playing time.
Here we go again....Odds were......That's different from CMA KNOWING BP was gone. We can re-hash this out all we want. Some know what CMA was told by BP himself as well as those really close to him as much as two weeks before the date he announced. Qualls was always the biggest threat to go to the staff believe it or not, and the Babb thing came out of the blue to CMA, although if you want to armchair it you can say you saw it coming the whole time.

Danny J

I have said the same thing for a year now. Yes...we must start landing more than the occasional talented basketball player. We need at least 4 per starting lineup to even be close to where we want to be. That is why I say CMA must get a proven recruiter capable of using summer league contacts.

Danny J

Quote from: azhog10 on July 24, 2015, 09:13:31 am
Here we go again....Odds were......That's different from CMA KNOWING BP was gone. We can re-hash this out all we want. Some know what CMA was told by BP himself as well as those really close to him as much as two weeks before the date he announced. Qualls was always the biggest threat to go to the staff believe it or not, and the Babb thing came out of the blue to CMA, although if you want to armchair it you can say you saw it coming the whole time.
LSU was in the same boat yet their coach had no issues filling those spots with good players. This isn't 1992 anymore. Better understand that kids these days are smart enough to understand that if a certain star stays he may not have a spot. Should have played the odds that since we have had at least one transfer every year CMA has been here we would likely have another and add to that Portis and that doesn't even include Qualls. We should have been looking to fill two more spots on top of losing Harris and Madden. If we are going to compete with the big boys consistently we better stop with the "aw shucks" attitude towards recruiting.

azhog10

Quote from: Danny J on July 24, 2015, 09:24:05 am
LSU was in the same boat yet their coach had no issues filling those spots with good players. This isn't 1992 anymore. Better understand that kids these days are smart enough to understand that if a certain star stays he may not have a spot. Should have played the odds that since we have had at least one transfer every year CMA has been here we would likely have another and add to that Portis and that doesn't even include Qualls. We should have been looking to fill two more spots on top of losing Harris and Madden. If we are going to compete with the big boys consistently we better stop with the "aw shucks" attitude towards recruiting.
Easy to say now. Like I said this can be archaired all day. But BP had always been truthful and honest with CMA. Not saying BP lied, his mind just changed. But it's a moot point now. I'm all for oversigning, but as soon as CMA does oversign and has to kick someone to the curb there will be people racking him over the coals for it. Probably the same people bitching that he didn't oversign in this situation.

hogsanity

To the thread title, the Anderson era is NOT at a crossroads. Pretty much everyone was giving a pass for 15/16 BEFORE this week happened.  Once BP and MQ left, along with the other departures, this team was offensively challenged. Now, assuming the worst case that Beard and Williams do not play this season, and Kapita never does get here, a likely nit team becomes a no post season team, so nothing really changed.

The 2016 class is NOT dependent on Monk, the 2016 class has to have a solid core of players who are going to be here for 3 or 4 years.  It has to have a couple of solid guards who are going to get 9-11 ppg, 3 or 4 assists, take care of the ball, and play good D on the other teams guards. It needs a solid defender at the 4 spot, and a post presence. Getting that AND Monk would be great, but if all the 16 class has is Monk, then they cycle starts all over the next year.
People ask me what I do in winter when there is no baseball.  I will tell you what I do. I stare out the window, and I wait for spring.

"Anything goes wrong, anything at all, your fault, my fault, nobodies fault, I'm going to blow your head off."  John Wayne in BIG JAKE

Big Nasty 34

I'm not sure how you don't think this is a huge year for CMA. Not on court results but in recruiting. If he hauls in a mediocre class with all these scholarships I am not sure be can recover.

azhog10

Quote from: Big Nasty 34 on July 24, 2015, 09:49:51 am
I'm not sure how you don't think this is a huge year for CMA. Not on court results but in recruiting. If he hauls in a mediocre class with all these scholarships I am not sure be can recover.
This I can agree with. If the staff can't put together a good recruiting class and we go into next year with a lot of holes even still. Then I would fully support a change in assistants and possibly coach. 2016 is a loaded year for not only the state, (which isn't as loaded as it will be in 2017 and 2018), but also the region around Arkansas.

hawginbigd1

AZ I usually agree with a lot you say but not this, i said it in Jan. those 2 were gone and I aint in the program. I was 99% sure Qualls was leaving and about 80% on Portis. I think his heart was really in staying but his mind couldn't pass up the $'s. Qualls is different in that I firmly believe he was seriously considering going overseas this year, but definitely wasn't coming back next year. He played his way into a draft spot so it worked better for him.

To the OP article, it is if I had written it myself, exactly the things i have been saying about the program and MA for the past 6-8 months. The recruiting has been below average for the program to have sustained success, and the losses that are going to happen have not been adequately filled. The loss of kapita and the 3 knuckleheads just makes it that much worse. The 2016 recruiting class is make or break IMO for MA and the program, I was already worried about the affects of a really down season was going to have on his ability to land all of this talent that seems to have an interest at this point. Now the season looks to be much worse! Come play for us coming off 16 wins for your 1, 2 or 3 seasons or go to a program that is in a position to contend for titles in your short college career? I don't dislike MA at all, zero, nadda, zilch. Wanted him hired to replace every coach since NR including NR, but he has failed in recruiting the last 2 seasons. You can be successful as a coach and a program failing to win some games you should win, but you can't fail to win at recruiting and be successful!

psooie

Agreed 2016 class is vital for MA. If its lackluster, got to believe he will be fired if the on court results are bad as well next season.

HF#1

Quote from: azhog10 on July 24, 2015, 09:29:24 am
Easy to say now. Like I said this can be archaired all day. But BP had always been truthful and honest with CMA. Not saying BP lied, his mind just changed. But it's a moot point now. I'm all for oversigning, but as soon as CMA does oversign and has to kick someone to the curb there will be people racking him over the coals for it. Probably the same people bitching that he didn't oversign in this situation.

He should have gently guided Qualls and Portis to the NBA the day after the season ended. That's the difference between Mike and folks like Calipari and Coach K.

Send them off to the NBA and go get players.  Instead, we waited too long, got 1 1/2 players, and are in quite a pickle for the future.
"We are all born ignorant, but one must work hard to remain stupid."  <br /><br />Benjamin Franklin

azhog10

Quote from: HF#1 on July 24, 2015, 10:52:55 am
He should have gently guided Qualls and Portis to the NBA the day after the season ended. That's the difference between Mike and folks like Calipari and Coach K.

Send them off to the NBA and go get players.  Instead, we waited too long, got 1 1/2 players, and are in quite a pickle for the future.
If that's the case, you have to commit to that line of thinking before the season starts, not when it ended. But i'm with you. I think your best bet when you have guys that are on the fence or boarderline you are better off pushing them out, signing a class knowing you are pushing them out and letting them get drafted or not, but it's not your problem now.

Hog_Swanson

We have not lost Kapita.  Come on people, get it together.
Quote from: JIMMY BOARFFETT on February 08, 2018, 08:00:41 pm

I have gonads, and as soon as my wife gets back I'll prove it.  I keep 'em in her purse. >:(

Quote from: PorkSoda on Today at 04:03:25 pm
Okay, you are right, I should have done that first instead of going off of what other people said was said.
So basically all my complaining was for nothing and I'm a dumbass.  I should have just watch the presser BEFORE commenting.

hogsanity

Quote from: Hog_Swanson on July 24, 2015, 02:22:18 pm
We have not lost Kapita.  Come on people, get it together.

No, he himself only said he was enrolling somewhere else for the fall semester, nothing in that is telling at all................

Biggus Piggus

Quote from: hogsanity on July 24, 2015, 02:39:04 pm
No, he himself only said he was enrolling somewhere else for the fall semester, nothing in that is telling at all................

Wow, you really are intentionally ignorant.
[CENSORED]!

Hog_Swanson

Quote from: Biggus Piggus on July 24, 2015, 02:42:10 pm
Wow, you really are intentionally ignorant.
My thoughts exactly.  The Ohio prep school is a fall back plan in case the NCAA does not get the records they need from the Congo.  He is still coming here, we just don't know when.
Quote from: JIMMY BOARFFETT on February 08, 2018, 08:00:41 pm

I have gonads, and as soon as my wife gets back I'll prove it.  I keep 'em in her purse. >:(

Quote from: PorkSoda on Today at 04:03:25 pm
Okay, you are right, I should have done that first instead of going off of what other people said was said.
So basically all my complaining was for nothing and I'm a dumbass.  I should have just watch the presser BEFORE commenting.

HotlantaHog

This will be a big year from Mike from a recruiting standpoint. Assuming the three suspended players don't come back (which is unknowable at this point), on court expectations will be low.

TejasPete

Quote from: secfan30 on July 23, 2015, 11:21:30 pm
As it has been said by those that actually know a thing or two, everyone, including Portis' girlfriend, thought he was coming back up until a few days before he announced. Check some of Mike Irwin's post to find this.

OK keep beleiving that....anyone with even a passing interest in Hog ball knew Portis was going pro.

WarPig88

So Captain Obvious is a sports writer now.

cram224

Trying to understand some comments above. Are you people that think Mike didn't know if Portis was leaving or staying, implying that CMA never took his feet off his desk to recruit any players until he got word from Portis. Please show me a big time recruit that CMA has been able to sign in the 4 years he has been here. Remember Portis, bleed Razorback Red and didn't need much recruiting to be a Razorback.  As I recall even Forest City Joe, who knows everything, has said give CMA 4 or 5 years and he will turn this program around. If we don't reach the sweet 16 this coming year surely Mike will understand he is way over his head and step down. We should be looking at a coach's best year coming up not his worst.

secfan30

Quote from: TejasPete on July 24, 2015, 07:02:51 pm
OK keep beleiving that....anyone with even a passing interest in Hog ball knew Portis was going pro.

Wrong

arkansasrazorback

Quote from: HF#1 on July 23, 2015, 08:24:04 pm
exactly!!! And if he fails in 2016, we are in serious trouble

Otis

Or here's a novel idea. Since Portia's and Qualls have been there for 2 and 3 years respectively, maybe we should've recruited better these last 3 years for their replacement.

Letsroll1200

The assumption by many on this board is Beard and Williams will not play this season. I just think it's too early to assume Beard and Williams will not be Razorbacks. Their crime is not a DUI, possession of firearm, poss. Of drugs,domestic violence etc..... . I'm just saying the kids can recover from this terrible mistake and restore the trust of the coaching staff. I'm a little concerned about Beard but I think Williams will play this season.

2016 is already looking good with the commitment of Juco All American Daryl Macon. The Razorbacks are on some very talented players in 2016. The NCAA hasn't made a decision on Kapita!!! Kapita could be a addition and it worse Kapita could be another solid recruit for the 2016 class to go along with Macon.

All sickness is not death!

GuvHog

Quote from: Letsroll1200 on July 25, 2015, 04:08:12 am
The assumption by many on this board is Beard and Williams will not play this season. I just think it's too early to assume Beard and Williams will not be Razorbacks. Their crime is not a DUI, possession of firearm, poss. Of drugs,domestic violence etc..... . I'm just saying the kids can recover from this terrible mistake and restore the trust of the coaching staff. I'm a little concerned about Beard but I think Williams will play this season.

2016 is already looking good with the commitment of Juco All American Daryl Macon. The Razorbacks are on some very talented players in 2016. The NCAA hasn't made a decision on Kapita!!! Kapita could be a addition and it worse Kapita could be another solid recruit for the 2016 class to go along with Macon.

You're correct its not any of those, it's passing counterfeit money which is worse than all of them.
Bleeding Razorback Red Since Birth!!!

Hawghiggs

Quote from: Letsroll1200 on July 25, 2015, 04:08:12 am

They shouldn't even be allowed in school. Let alone on the basketball program.

GatorHog

Quote from: GuvHog on July 26, 2015, 05:42:17 pm
You're correct its not any of those, it's passing counterfeit money which is worse than all of them.

Passing $300 in fake cash is worse than domestic violence.  Tell me you're not a legislator.

Letsroll1200

Quote from: Hawghiggs on July 26, 2015, 06:39:53 pm
They shouldn't even be allowed in school. Let alone on the basketball program.

You have to just laugh at some comments!!!! Lol

azhog10

Quote from: Otis on July 25, 2015, 12:24:47 am

Or here's a novel idea. Since Portia's and Qualls have been there for 2 and 3 years respectively, maybe we should've recruited better these last 3 years for their replacement.
You think? I feel like we did. The class after Qualls was better than him. So i would say we recruited better. Then we brought in Beard, Thompson(who we haven't even seen yet), and Dusty. Babb would have helped but he opted out to what would have been a lot of playing time. It's not like we brought in scrubs. Kingsley was going to take a year or two to develop. You don't just find a kid like Portis every year and Qualls developed into who he is, he didn't come to school like that.

HF#1

Quote from: azhog10 on July 26, 2015, 07:08:04 pm
You think? I feel like we did. The class after Qualls was better than him. So i would say we recruited better. Then we brought in Beard, Thompson(who we haven't even seen yet), and Dusty. Babb would have helped but he opted out to what would have been a lot of playing time. It's not like we brought in scrubs. Kingsley was going to take a year or two to develop. You don't just find a kid like Portis every year and Qualls developed into who he is, he didn't come to school like that.

Still astonishing to me that we lost Babb due to "lack of playing time".  Had he stayed, he'd have a legit shot at starting this season.  Just mind boggling.

HogBreath

Quote from: hogsanity on July 24, 2015, 09:11:23 am
Babb likely never understood the wonderful system he was playing for.
I said...LSU has often been an overrated team.

That ignoramus Draconian Sanctions said..if we're overrated, why are we ranked higher than you are?