Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

The interception was not Allen's fault

Started by Squinky The Curse, September 25, 2017, 01:39:07 am

Previous topic - Next topic

Squinky The Curse

Hopefully I can get this tweet to post here, it shows the end zone view of the last play.

[tweet]https://twitter.com/Shadid13/status/911680239926947841?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw&ref_url=http%3A%2F%2Ftexags.com%2Fforums%2F25%2Ftopics%2F2887989[/tweet]

ETA: Not sure how to get tweets to post on here since posting the link to tweet in the Twitter message box doesn't seem to work.

https://twitter.com/Shadid13/status/911680239926947841

You can see #23 Armani Watts in the bottom left corner as the play begins, he is helping double the slot receiver at the beginning of the play.

Allen passes the ball to a point, but Watts breaks on the ball ridiculously fast, comes across the field and gets in front for the interception.

This isn't Allen throwing into triple coverage because Watts wasn't actually there in coverage, he just made a great break on the ball.

East Clintwood

And why would that absolve Allen of the blame?
Any dog can be a seeing eye dog if you don't care where you're going.

Like  blows - Bring back Karma

Tejano Jawg

I thought our receiver was too covered up, even without Watts in the picture.
Between McAfee being obnoxious and Corso decomposing before our eyes I can't even watch GameDay anymore. —Torqued Pork

Dominicanhog

It was a terrible decision.. he was double covered at minimum.. watch the tape, he was never open and never going to be open, but AA knew where he was going from the start and he never wavered.. take the dump to Williams for 3/4 yards or run it in down the right side... it's 3rd down.. never, ever throw an int on 3rd down.. Just a poor decision on his part...

hogpc

Of course it wasn't his fault, why don't we go ahead and say he didn't throw the ball while we're at it...

Inhogswetrust

ANYTHING can happen in an OT. The bigger question is why did we even have to go to OT.
If I'm going to cheer players and coaches in victory, I damn sure ought to be man enough to stand with them in defeat.

"Why some people are so drawn to the irrational is something that has always puzzled me" - James Randi

Dominicanhog

Quote from: hogpc on September 25, 2017, 06:16:44 am
Of course it wasn't his fault, why don't we go ahead and say he didn't throw the ball while we're at it...

thought Ragnow threw that pick, maybe it was Froholdt...

gawntrail

That angle changed my opinion of that outcome.

There is no way Austin saw that guy.  That is a catch or an incompletion without that kids extraordinary break on that route. 

The live TV shot looked like he threw it directly into the teeth of double coverage.  But, the one dude was beat, the other was late, Austin put it on the money.  That kid made a huge break on that route and gambled on PI or break-up/pick.  He came up huge.

Doesn't absolve what led to that play.  But, that was a money throw. 

nwahogfan1

AA is to blame for his bad decision making.   I do not blame him for not having time to check down if he is being pressured by an DLM but if he is being pressured by an extra man blitzing then he has to recognize that and change the play at the line then find the hot receiver.  He is a 5th year Senior.  He must check off and get the ball out of his hands quicker when being blitzed.

Dominicanhog

Quote from: gawntrail on September 25, 2017, 06:43:50 am
That angle changed my opinion of that outcome.

There is no way Austin saw that guy.  That is a catch or an incompletion without that kids extraordinary break on that route. 

The live TV shot looked like he threw it directly into the teeth of double coverage.  But, the one dude was beat, the other was late, Austin put it on the money.  That kid made a huge break on that route and gambled on PI or break-up/pick.  He came up huge.

Doesn't absolve what led to that play.  But, that was a money throw.

The reason 23 is there is because AA is locked in on CJ and he recognizes it..  he starts out helping the CB but because of AA staring down, he slides over.... he's looking in the backfield ...you can see he's watching the QB's eyes...

Dr. Starcs

Quote from: Squinky The Curse on September 25, 2017, 01:39:07 am
Hopefully I can get this tweet to post here, it shows the end zone view of the last play.

[tweet]https://twitter.com/Shadid13/status/911680239926947841?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw&ref_url=http%3A%2F%2Ftexags.com%2Fforums%2F25%2Ftopics%2F2887989[/tweet]

ETA: Not sure how to get tweets to post on here since posting the link to tweet in the Twitter message box doesn't seem to work.

You can see #23 Armani Watts in the bottom left corner as the play begins, he is helping double the slot receiver at the beginning of the play.

Allen passes the ball to a point, but Watts breaks on the ball ridiculously fast, comes across the field and gets in front for the interception.

This isn't Allen throwing into triple coverage because Watts wasn't actually there in coverage, he just made a great break on the ball.

Thanks for chiming in, Bobby.

onebadrubi

If that play is made on the 50 yard line it's a completion or bounced pass. The safety would be deeper in coverage, but with the red zone he's playing the back line and watching the QB head for a stare down.  Austin has to look him off in that situation, I also believe that route is a very popular route for Arkansas all the way back to the henry days.  Also I believe it's the exact route o Grady scored on VT with

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: Dominicanhog on September 25, 2017, 06:50:17 am
The reason 23 is there is because AA is locked in on CJ and he recognizes it..  he starts out helping the CB but because of AA staring down, he slides over.... he's looking in the backfield ...you can see he's watching the QB's eyes...

So he can see a QB's eyes from that far away all the way through all those other guys between them..............
If I'm going to cheer players and coaches in victory, I damn sure ought to be man enough to stand with them in defeat.

"Why some people are so drawn to the irrational is something that has always puzzled me" - James Randi

onebadrubi

Quote from: Inhogswetrust on September 25, 2017, 06:53:27 am
So he can see a QB's eyes from that far away all the way through all those other guys between them..............

You should watch more football

Dominicanhog

Quote from: Inhogswetrust on September 25, 2017, 06:53:27 am

Yep...

HoggyCat

Bert, is that your secret account??

EDIT: After thinking it over, I know you're NOT Bert. Bert WOULD blame SOMEONE!!!
I'm only responsible for what I say, not how you perceive it.

1highhog

The only thing that this showed me that I didn't already know was that #25 for the Aggies made a classy move at the end of the play.

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: Dominicanhog on September 25, 2017, 06:55:41 am
Yep...

No he can't. Viewing angles of eyes and lines of sight are a tricky thing. He MIGHT have been able to see a helmet move. Why do you think a lot of coaches put strips on helmets during practice they don't normally have during games. It's so they can see on film which way a guys head is pointed to see.

Dominicanhog

Dominicanhog

September 25, 2017, 07:04:29 am #19 Last Edit: September 25, 2017, 07:15:12 am by Dominicanhog
Quote from: Inhogswetrust on September 25, 2017, 07:00:56 am
No he can't. Viewing angles of eyes and lines of sight are a tricky thing. He MIGHT have been able to see a helmet move. Why do you think a lot of coaches put strips on helmets during practice they don't normally have during games. It's so they can see on film which way a guys head is pointed to see.

OK.. .. btw the strip would have shown him staring down CJ... 23 had already broken for the post before AA threw the ball guess it was just dumb luck...

hoglady

Quote from: 1highhog on September 25, 2017, 07:00:06 am
The only thing that this showed me that I didn't already know was that #25 for the Aggies made a classy move at the end of the play.

I noticed that, too.
Inside every "older" person is a younger person wondering what the hell happened?

"Compassion for animals is intimately associated with goodness of character, and it may be confidently asserted that he who is cruel to animals cannot be a good man."
― Arthur Schopenhauer, The Basis of Morality

Squinky The Curse

Quote from: 1highhog on September 25, 2017, 07:00:06 am

LB Tyrel Dodson

He's a terrific kid and player. He came to A&M from Tennessee, was a RB in high school.

He's second on the team in tackles so far this season, has 4 sacks and 2 interceptions, including a pick-six against Louisiana-Lafayette. He only had 5 tackles and a sack against Arkansas. One of the most impressive things about Arkansas' performance Saturday was their ability to make him disappear for big chunks of the game.

gawntrail

I'd have to see a couple different angles.  From that angle (the one provided in the op) I can't see Austin's helmet the whole time. 

Could be route recognition like someone else said... and could be the CB had his guy blanketed.  Either way the kid looked inside and made a solid move on the ball. 

NaturalStateReb

When you score 43 points, the problem isn't offense.
"It's a trap!"--Houston Nutt and Admiral Ackbar, although Ackbar never called that play or ate that frito pie.

thebignasty

Quote from: NaturalStateReb on September 25, 2017, 04:09:07 pm

Not sure why people cant see this.
Quote from: IronHog on March 22, 2016, 02:08:54 pm
They shoot family in Bama
But they win
Quote from: nuttless hog on January 13, 2021, 04:03:02 pm
take me almost all day to get it up to ride it 5 minutes

IronHog

Except when you should score 70.

These Big 12 teams are gonna get some points.....you gotta light up their soft Ds.
Iron sharpens iron, So one man sharpens another.

ShadowHawg

Quote from: Inhogswetrust on September 25, 2017, 07:00:56 am

If db's can't read a qb's "eyes", then why are qbs taught to look off defenders?

IronHog

That ball was bad late and underthrown.  100% on the QB

You put that ball high where your guy gets it or no one does.

Pancetta

Also he ran all the way around the backside of the receiver to then strip him of the ball.  It was a great threading of the needle by AA but an outstanding play by the A&M defender.  The ball was right in the receiver's hands and was taken away by the defender.  People are going to view it the way they have already decided to see it so it doesn't matter if you show video of the defender slipping the laws of physics and moving matrix style, they will still say it's AA fault, not a great play by the defender. 
Jump Ball / Re: Time to hit the panic button?
January 06, 2022, 05:32:59 pm
Nah. Every single transfer can score. The shots will come once the pecking order gets sorted out.
Pancetta

Jim Harris

Quote from: Dominicanhog on September 25, 2017, 06:39:20 am
thought Ragnow threw that pick, maybe it was Froholdt...

Apparently it's O'Grady's fault for not getting open.
"We've been trying to build a program on a 7-8 win per season business model .... We upgraded the Business Model." -- John Tyson

phadedhawg

The only redeeming thing I see in that angle is the A&M offering a moment of comfort to our receiver laying in the endzone.  Good to see sportsmanship

IronHog

Quote from: Pancetta on September 25, 2017, 04:32:20 pm
Also he ran all the way around the backside of the receiver to then strip him of the ball.  It was a great threading of the needle by AA but an outstanding play by the A&M defender.  The ball was right in the receiver's hands and was taken away by the defender.  People are going to view it the way they have already decided to see it so it doesn't matter if you show video of the defender slipping the laws of physics and moving matrix style, they will still say it's AA fault, not a great play by the defender. 

It was a bad throw.

IronHog

Quote from: Jim Harris on September 25, 2017, 04:40:55 pm
Apparently it's O'Grady's fault for not getting open.

You throw him open

Bout 9'6" would be right

Sho Nuff

Try again.  I watched that video 5 times.  The speed that Watts moved with is not above average.

311Hog

How is No. 25 for A&M not flagged for PI on this play.  He is clearly holding O Grady's left arm.
Watts made an amazing play he is a really good player i will be happy when he is gone, but he jumped infront and our TE only had 1 arm to go for the ball with.

MrKlem10

Point is you have another down.  A senior QB should know better than to fit a ball into double coverage in the situation.   

IronHog

Quote from: MrKlem10 on September 25, 2017, 05:28:39 pm
Point is you have another down.  A senior QB should know better than to fit a ball into double coverage in the situation.   

He was trying to force it to his best receiver

What he shoulda done is pull it down and run

GoHogzzGo

Oooh it wasn't triple coverage it was only double coverage. Bad throw whatever it was AA threw the pick.

That being said the offense put up 43 points. Play some defense and special teams, and we win.
Success isn't permanent and failure isn't fatal.

phadedhawg

Quote from: MrKlem10 on September 25, 2017, 05:28:39 pm

The INT would have been understandable on 4th down.  Forcing the ball in that situation is necessary.

Tuskya

PI should've been called, but wasn't seen.

code red

It was third down he had another bullet. He should have thrown the fade.
"If what you did yesterday seems big, you haven't done anything today."  Dr. Lou

gchamblee

nice to see the sportsmanship at the end. not much of that around these days.

PygmalionEffect2

O'Grady didn't go aggressively for the ball.  I think he saw the ball late, probably expecting a higher throw but AA's throw was affected as he saw Watts coming over, so he went lower and more middle of the field, but the dude got to it anyway.

It was a very good defensive play.

Should have never occurred though because AA made a much worse pass on first down where he had the juco TE wide open and half the end zone to throw it in for a TD and he couldn't manage it.  Threw it way too high and behind him when he had 20 yards of field to work with from the 13 yd line or so.

So much easier of a TD pass than freshman Monds had to make under pressure.  Monds made his.
President Donald Trump, on "60 Minutes," Nov. 13, 2016
"Facebook and Twitter were the reason we won this thing."

Hannity - This Nunes memo is going to make Watergate look like someone stole a candy bar.

baconbits256

This Plus 1000.......Allen is 100% to blame...stared it down and yes threw into Triple coverage because #23 was coming in and cut in front of the receiver who already had 1 defender to his left and another to his right.....bad decision by a 5th year QB period!!

ShadowTheHedgehog

Whey did we not just run the ball? CK was getting 4-6+ yards per carry.

HoggyCat

And score 50....  IE: against Mississippi state...
I'm only responsible for what I say, not how you perceive it.

kodiakisland

Certainly got to shake my head at that analysis.
If gun control worked, Chicago would look like Mayberry, not Thunderdome. http://heyjackass.com/

HardCore

Nah...it was that HVAC system that pushed the ball from Allen's into triple coverage.  Doesn't really matter...the issue is that we should have never even approached the possibility of going to OT.  It should have easily been finished in regulation.  Once again, can't close out a game we had control of.
Beware the lollipop of mediocrity; lick it once and you'll suck forever....Brian Wilson (Beach Boys)

hobhog

I like AA, but he should have thrown a better ball for wide open TD on 2nd down, when he threw the lob too far in back of endzone.

Stuff happens. Moving on.

311Hog

Quote from: hobhog on September 26, 2017, 09:20:17 am
I like AA, but he should have thrown a better ball for wide open TD on 2nd down, when he threw the lob too far in back of endzone.

Stuff happens. Moving on.

That is how insanely close this game really is.  Patton almost had that and then who knows what would have happened.