Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Commitment number 20

Started by JackJohnson, August 03, 2007, 03:25:29 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

JackJohnson

Jacobr

I trust Markuson.

By the way, nice job lifting premium info from Dudley. 

The_Bionic_Pig

Quote from: JackJohnson on August 03, 2007, 03:25:29 pm
or hold off until after the year is over and get someone with some actual offers???

http://arkansas.scout.com/a.z?s=10&p=8&c=1&nid=2991337

Allen & Herring have on hell of a track record of eyeing talent over ratings......
█ ▆ ▅ ▄ ▃ ▂ ▁ *Mute*

JackJohnson

Quote from: Jacobr on August 03, 2007, 03:28:04 pm
I trust Markuson.

The link says he is a verbal.  Free info...

JackJohnson

Quote from: Woo_Pig_Stewie on August 03, 2007, 03:30:12 pm
Quote from: JackJohnson on August 03, 2007, 03:25:29 pm
or hold off until after the year is over and get someone with some actual offers???

http://arkansas.scout.com/a.z?s=10&p=8&c=1&nid=2991337

Allen & Herring have on hell of a track record of eyeing talent over ratings......

Allen and Herring didn't recruit him...

Jacobr

August 03, 2007, 03:33:21 pm #5 Last Edit: August 03, 2007, 03:35:51 pm by Jacobr
Quote from: JackJohnson on August 03, 2007, 03:30:35 pm
I trust Markuson.

No it doesn't.  I just clicked on it.  Whatever it doesn't matter.

crap gets out and about no matter what.

Never mind now I see it.  Quite coincedence that he just posted it and 2 minutes later you post about
"why would we offer this guy". 

JackJohnson

August 03, 2007, 03:35:40 pm #6 Last Edit: August 03, 2007, 04:04:18 pm by JackJohnson
Quote from: Jacobr on August 03, 2007, 03:33:21 pm
Quote from: JackJohnson on August 03, 2007, 03:30:35 pm
I trust Markuson.

No it doesn't.  I just clicked on it.  Whatever it doesn't matter.

crap gets out and about no matter what.

I clicked it and it worked for me. 

FBPLAYER65

Yes the link says he is a verbal genius. And woo_pig_stewie, how does Herring have a great track record eyeing talent? No players he has recruited to Arkansas have performed yet. He has had a lot of guys bust out already though. Deandre Bryant, Michael Hall etc. Not to mention Anthony Brown playing at LB in a critical game against Alabama last season. Everyone says Herring has such an eye for talent but you just can't say that yet. No one knows if he does yet.

RazrFan

Josh Tatum OL from AL.

6'6" 300 lbs

You're Welcome.

FBPLAYER65

rzrbckfan426

Where's RD to confirm this?

Jacobr

Quote from: FBPLAYER65 on August 03, 2007, 03:36:26 pm
Yes the link says he is a verbal genius. And woo_pig_stewie, how does Herring have a great track record eyeing talent? No players he has recruited to Arkansas have performed yet. He has had a lot of guys bust out already though. Deandre Bryant, Michael Hall etc. Not to mention Anthony Brown playing at LB in a critical game against Alabama last season. Everyone says Herring has such an eye for talent but you just can't say that yet. No one knows if he does yet.

WTH? Herring had the foresight to take a skinny WR and turn him into a 1st round draft pick.  I know he motivated KJ Jr from a average DT to an all-SEC type.  IMO you can find fault with a lot of the staff, but Herring is not one of them. 

PigWig

FBPLAYER65

Jacob, Dave Wommack moved Jamaal Anderson to DE smart one. You can credit him to an extent with the development of Anderson but he did NOT find him. And how is motivating an already talented guy like Jackson equate to having an eye for talent?

piggingout

So, how did this guy get on the radar?  He doesn't have any offers and he's a one star rated player.  I'm not getting into the debate with star rated players, I'm just saying with 19 recruites, shouldn't we be a little more selective.

FBPLAYER65

I don't consider a guy that is 6'6 300 pounds and runs a 5.03 at the camp to be a bad recruit. He reminded the coaches of Luigs. He is a solid OL in the state of Alabama in a loaded year there.

Jacobr

Quote from: FBPLAYER65 on August 03, 2007, 03:42:22 pm
Jacob, Dave Wommack moved Jamaal Anderson to DE smart one. You can credit him to an extent with the development of Anderson but he did NOT find him. And how is motivating an already talented guy like Jackson equate to having an eye for talent?

Oops.  I forgot that Wommack did that.  I will concede the argument that it remains to be seen at how well he can evaluate talent (how about the Hewitt to LB move.  That worked out well).  I do think he is a helluva coordinator.

FootballHog

It says on Rivals that Alabama, Arkansas, and Auburn were recruiting him. I dont EVER pay attention to scout.

FBPLAYER65

I do think Herring is a huge step up at DC. I also am much happier with where the DL and LB are compared to when Wommack was here. I'm just worried about his recruiting and his stubborness when it comes to scheme.

JackJohnson

Quote from: FBPLAYER65 on August 03, 2007, 03:47:04 pm
I don't consider a guy that is 6'6 300 pounds and runs a 5.03 at the camp to be a bad recruit. He reminded the coaches of Luigs. He is a solid OL in the state of Alabama in a loaded year there.

He was measured at 6-3 300 5.4 on April 16th of this year at the Spain Park combine in alabama. 

http://hsalabama.scout.com/2/636066.html

I think we do really well at our OL evaluations, and hopefully this is another good one from Markuson out of Alabama!!

Foshodo

dude's big... i'll give him that.  Hopefully he'll come in and learn. they had to see something in him

kibster

I am least concerned with the ratings of our OL recruits.  We always evaluate well and develop these guys into monsters.
Electronic communities build nothing. You wind up with nothing. We are dancing animals. How beautiful it is to get up and go out and do something. We are here on Earth to fart around. Don't let anybody tell you any different. - Kurt Vonnegut

that_guy

Maybe you should look at what he did at NCState before you say Herring hasn't proven anything yet.  The year before he came here - he had 2 first round picks from NCstate. Add Anderson to the mix and the dude has a nice track record.

ListenHereMister

Our last OL from Alabama did pretty well.
I think he was All-SEC.  I think his name was
Zac Tubbs.  

Pork Twain

Quote from: that_guy on August 03, 2007, 03:57:43 pm

Maybe you should look at what he did at NCState before you say Herring hasn't proven anything yet.  The year before he came here - he had 2 first round picks from NCstate. Add Anderson to the mix and the dude has a nice track record.
You guys are doing a great job of derailing a post. 

FYI #1- Who has RH ever recruited???  FYI #2 - Who really cares because he sure knows how to put people where they do the most good and motivate them.
"It is better to be an optimist and proven wrong, than a pessimist and proven right." ~Pork Twain

https://www.facebook.com/groups/sweetmemes/

justmaybe

The guy can bench press 400 lbs already. That is pretty good for OL now.  Of course Chriss Houston a dback could do more- but I guess not when he got here.

A coach told me that it is getting harder and harder to find good OL that can bench a whole bunch particularly early. The reason is that some of the highly ranked ones have long arms which was not a big deal in the past. They have to have long arms to be effective pass blockers although strength is key to. Seems kind of funny in a way but I do remember them trying to move some guys to OL from DL a few years back but wound up moving them back and they kept repeating that their arms were too short. Most likely their were bunches of other reasons also..........

Anyway. It is a bigger deal at tackle I would imagine than guard. Maybe not. I could tell you everything I know about this subject and I think I just did.

SoTexHog

August 03, 2007, 06:27:57 pm #27 Last Edit: August 03, 2007, 06:34:22 pm by SoTexHog
Quote from: The_Champ on August 03, 2007, 03:45:26 pm
He is our worst recruit
He might be a reach alright.  Not gonna argue about that.  But apparently the staff saw something in the young man at camp this summer they liked.  He has size for sure and agility also, if you look at the shuttle time.  Says he wants to come in and work hard.  Sounds like a formula for success.

The_Hill

John, I was first team All-State. I can put the ball anywhere I want to. I'll make it rain out here.

PorkSoda

He's got size alright, but it will take a couple years to turn that girth into strength.  Games are won and lost in the trenches, so I never complain when recruit linemen.  Most are projects anyway.  If he works hard, he will be in the rotation in a couple years.
"I became insane, with long intervals of horrible sanity." ― Edgar Allan Poe
"If quantum mechanics hasn't profoundly shocked you, you haven't understood it yet. Everything we call real is made of things that cannot be regarded as real." – Niels Bohr
"A mind stretched to a new idea, never returns to its original dimensions" ~ Oliver Wendell Holmes
Quote from: PonderinHog on August 07, 2023, 06:37:15 pmYeah, we're all here, but we ain't all there.

big john

Josh Tatum of Marbury High School in Alabama orally committed to the Arkansas Razorbacks on Friday afternoon; welcome to the hawg family big guy. ;D
john goodwin

The Coletrain

Welcome to the program, big fella!!  Glad to have you on board.  Can't ever have enough size on your O Line. 

Quote from: that_guy on August 03, 2007, 03:57:43 pm

Not to be a stickler, but NC State actually had three DL that were first round picks that year.  Pretty impressive!!  Herring might have some deficiencies as a recruiter, but he is a good evaluator of talent and knows how to develop his defensive players.   
Razorbacks, Cardinals, and Cowboys!!  A 30+ year addiction.

piggingout

Can we just turn him into a DT?!

dj shanon "Notshavin" smeya

Richard had a GREAT comment on Sports Rap tonight.  He said that Auburn stole Lee Ziemba and maybe AR got a little bit of revenge by getting this kid out of Alabama's backyard.

WPS
published songwriter(ASCAP)/audio production/radio jingles/producer<br /><br />Audio Production/Music

R.I.P. notshavintilnuttgo 12/11/07

mrcrowley

August 03, 2007, 09:00:05 pm #34 Last Edit: August 03, 2007, 09:02:57 pm by mrcrowley
He is our worst recruit
if you are gonna reach id rather reach with a kid thats 6'6" 315  5.02  an not 5 ft nuttin an a buck sixty.

im not saying this kids a reach ive never seen him play. i imagine  alabama  a&m would be proud owners of his signiture if he couldnt play.

yraciv

Quote from: notshavintilnuttgo on August 03, 2007, 07:51:58 pm
Richard had a GREAT comment on Sports Rap tonight.  He said that Auburn stole Lee Ziemba and maybe AR got a little bit of revenge by getting this kid out of Alabama's backyard.

WPS

Ziemba was a huge recruit though, and this guy we're his only offer.  I see the resemblence.

The Hog

Project player.  Could turn out to be good but needs a lot of work.
Automatic RUN!

ballhog88

With that size and speed if he's a hard worker, he'll be a good one. That's probably what they saw when he was at camp was the work ethic.

Welcome aboard

Quote from: yraciv on August 03, 2007, 09:00:41 pm

WPS

Ziemba was a huge recruit though, and this guy we're his only offer.  I see the resemblence.

I thought Alabama offered him.  Am I wrong?
published songwriter(ASCAP)/audio production/radio jingles/producer<br /><br />Audio Production/Music

TMc

Alabama is only taking 3 OL this year.., and they have 2 .. Auburn took 7 this past year .. so they are not placing a premium on OL (I gather).. Josh, as FB said, is the 5th rated OL in the state of Alabama, in a year where the state is loaded with good OL.  I think this is a good pick up for us.  Otis stated he was the best looking OL he saw in camp this year.. , reminded him of Luigs.. and thought they should have offered him on the spot.  Markuson wanted him, and that's good enough for me.  I'm glad we've got him. 6'6'' / 315 /5.02.

Pork Twain

Quote from: notshavintilnuttgo on August 03, 2007, 09:28:45 pm

WPS

Who are you???
"It is better to be an optimist and proven wrong, than a pessimist and proven right." ~Pork Twain

https://www.facebook.com/groups/sweetmemes/

JackJohnson

WPS

According to the kid from all the articles on scout, we were his first offer...

Tomhog™

Guys, a kid that is 6'6", 315 and runs a 5.02 is flat out fast for his size.  He obviously has some athleticism about him that caught the coach's eyes.  How many times do OL flop at Arkansas?  I don't think it happens often.  Let's trust that it was a wise offer. 

It's still so early in the process, remember, this guy is a plan A player.

JackJohnson

August 03, 2007, 10:15:33 pm #43 Last Edit: August 03, 2007, 10:26:59 pm by JackJohnson
Quote from: mrcrowley on August 03, 2007, 09:00:05 pm
He is our worst recruit
if you are gonna reach id rather reach with a kid thats 6'6" 315  5.02  an not 5 ft nuttin an a buck sixty.

im not saying this kids a reach ive never seen him play. i imagine  alabama  a&m would be proud owners of his signiture if he couldnt play.

at a combine he went to in april, he was 6-3 300 5.4 in the 40.  He has either done some a lot of growing and speed work, or the numbers are getting fudged a bit somewhere along the lines...

Quote from: BeoPig on August 03, 2007, 09:54:10 pm

WPS

Who are you???

LOL, that's fair.  Well, I like Richard and I'm paying more attention to recruiting lately.

oldfart

one thing for sure you cant coach size... you have it or you dont.. and this guy has the ideal size.. tall and apparently fairly mobile

pcrouch3809

Calling All Hogs

I always wished there was some way for a comparable body fat count to be reported about recruits especially 300 pound linemen. Weight per se can be misleading although a height like 6'6 accounts for a lot of that.  But if he really run a 5.02 in the 40-yard dash weighing 315 it gets my attention quick!

cbjagman

I know that *s don't mean much in recruiting; however, it would sure make me feel a little more joyous about landing this kid if he could at least earn one before this forthcoming season is over................

Razorhogs

Quote from: JackJohnson on August 03, 2007, 10:14:08 pm

WPS

According to the kid from all the articles on scout, we were his first offer...

I get the feeling by reading his quotes that he might have jumped at the first offer.  I wonder if he will stay committed.  I don't have a good feeling about a strong commitment from him.  I hope he stays committed and becomes a great OL for the Hogs.   WPS!!!