Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Tony Gillespie

Started by rzrbckfan426, August 02, 2007, 12:56:25 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

rzrbckfan426

Any inside word on this guy.  He's a big boy and would be nice to have him helping secure that inside D-Line for a few years to come.  Right out of Tulsa, would be a great pickup.

jhudson84

He should eventually be a hog. Him qualifing is yet to be known.

Hollywood_HOGan45

if anything it would help to keep that jenks HS pipeline going strong.

Gillispie will give up good depth at DT if he qualifies.

jbhicks

I think we sign him, and then ,if necessary, we place him at Arkansas Baptist.

japhog

Does he plan on commiting anytime soon?

gohawgsgo

Quote from: japhog on August 02, 2007, 03:19:55 pm
Does he plan on commiting anytime soon?

Hmmmmm, good question.  Hope we get him.

ListenHereMister

Are we just assuming his grades aren't in order?
Also, I believe we are in his Final 5, not necessarily his favorite?!?

PhillyHog

Forgive my inability to provide a link, but it has been discussed many times on this board (as well as numerous other sources) that Gillespie may have academic problems.  If I am not mistaken, other prospects to come out of Jenks have had the same problem.

Perhaps somebody can provide a link but I know for certain that I have read about Gillespie's issues many times.

Adam Stokes

So why would we worry if Gillespie has bad grades?  It may make him not be able to come on campus but that is why we oversign anyway.  As long as we have 25 guys at the end of the class it doesn't matter right?  Even if he does go the JUCO route we will still likely be at the top of his list because he committed to us in the first place.  I can see the problem if you have too many with academic problems, but having 3 or 4 doesn't really hurt does it?

PhillyHog

Quote from: ajs15razorman on August 03, 2007, 09:57:07 am
So why would we worry if Gillespie has bad grades?  It may make him not be able to come on campus but that is why we oversign anyway.  As long as we have 25 guys at the end of the class it doesn't matter right?  Even if he does go the JUCO route we will still likely be at the top of his list because he committed to us in the first place.  I can see the problem if you have too many with academic problems, but having 3 or 4 doesn't really hurt does it?

I agree.  We are recruiting football players not brain surgeons...although I do know a former DE that has gone on to become a brain surgeon...I digress.

Getting these guys to committ not only gives us an advantage post-JUCO but it also gives us exposure at their HS and indicates that we want to work with the players to help them succeed.  Auburn illustrates the danger of not caring about grades at all, but I think its a risk worth taking on 3-4 players a year that have strong upside.

SoTexHog

Quote from: rzrbckfan426 on August 02, 2007, 12:56:25 pm
Any inside word on this guy.  He's a big boy and would be nice to have him helping secure that inside D-Line for a few years to come.  Right out of Tulsa, would be a great pickup.
[/quote
Quote from: rzrbckfan426 on August 02, 2007, 12:56:25 pm
He's not a big boy.  He is a large young man, however.

arklahoman36

Arkansas is on DT prospects that don't have as many stars next to their name as Gilliespie, but are probably better prospects.

There's a reason (actually a couple) you don't see offers from top 10 programs for a top 20 DT --

1) Concern about grades; it's no secret in Oklahoma. The same was true for Michael Harris, it was no secret in Oklahoma that he had academic issues.
Failure to keep up with academics hurt both of these guys' opportunity to draw interest from more schools.
Of course, Tony G. will have his senior year to show a dedication to academics, and possibly draw greater interest. But it's the assumption that he will go JUCO before D-1.

2) I saw him play twice last year, and at times in both games he just seemed to become disinterested. I've heard this knock on him from people that get paid to know those types of things. When he's motivated, he is a monster, but how often will he be motivated.
I have to think that creates some concern among coaches looking at him.

Consider the fact that OU wants to pick up 2-3 DT in recruiting this year, and he's an instate kid who's supposed to be a monster, and he's not even on the radar with OU.

TMc

Make me think of Fred Bledsoe.  If that is the case, (of which I do not know).., I wouldn't waste my time.  I'm pulling for Fred .. but he's wasted a lot of time and opportunity to reach his potential.  I don't think I would have the patience with those type of kids.

Mr. Prozac

No offense to Tony, but his surname sounds too much like Gillispie--and that name gives me seizures...

Hog Fan from Camden

Quote from: Mr. Prozac on August 04, 2007, 12:16:28 am
No offense to Tony, but his surname sounds too much like Gillispie--and that name gives me seizures...
Yea, everytime I see his name the vien in my forehead pops out!  ;)

arklahoman36

Quote from: TheHOGDog_111 on August 04, 2007, 07:15:04 am

Shouldn't it be JFB and the incompetent leakers who make that vein pop out? Why would JFB or the leakers tell anyone Billy G was a done deal when ARK hadn't even gotten permission from aTm to talk to the guy?

Hawgballz

Quote from: arklahoman36 on August 04, 2007, 05:29:46 pm

Shouldn't it be JFB and the incompetent leakers who make that vein pop out? Why would JFB or the leakers tell anyone Billy G was a done deal when ARK hadn't even gotten permission from aTm to talk to the guy?

No, it is Billy G who led everyone to believe that it was a done deal if they would just get rid of Stan Heath.  I have to run to the bathroom to take a Billy G so I will catch you later.
Players Win Games And Winning Brings Players!

Proud Hog

Quote from: Hawgballz on August 04, 2007, 07:58:58 pm

No, it is Billy G who led everyone to believe that it was a done deal if they would just get rid of Stan Heath.  I have to run to the bathroom to take a Billy G so I will catch you later.
+1 Hawgballz I like it.

arklahoman36

Quote from: Hawgballz on August 04, 2007, 07:58:58 pm

And once they let Heath go and they weren't talking to Billy G., that didn't give someone a clue it was time to start hedging their bets?
Instead it's leaked that Billy G. is in the bag -- most likely intentionally -- and the admin apparently had no Plan B.
That's what created the embarrassment; an administration that was so inept it had no plan beyond that.