Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Hogs up to #13

Started by PigWig, August 02, 2007, 08:34:23 am

Previous topic - Next topic

PigWig

The Hogs are now rated with the 13th best recruiting class per rivals.

http://footballrecruiting.rivals.com/

PigPusher

A loyal and proud Hogville Hog since 07-01-2003 "pushing" our hogs: And a loyal Razorback fan since 1954.

351hog

Quote from: sauce on August 02, 2007, 10:27:11 am
Check out our rankings at the skill positions. 2nd in QB's, 5th in RB's, and 6th in WR's

http://rivals100.rivals.com/TeamRank.asp?sort=0&year=2008&postype=4

http://rivals100.rivals.com/TeamRank.asp?sort=0&year=2008&postype=8

http://rivals100.rivals.com/TeamRank.asp?sort=0&year=2008&postype=9

Wow...that is impressive.

Getting some great skill position players to go with last years class of good o/d linemen.  Like the head coach or not, but you have to agree the future looks bright for the UofA football program. 

SoTexHog

Add a #9 ranking for DB's.  Tied for #16 in LB's.  Prospects for moving up in both categories exist.  Yep, I'd say this class has a very good foundation.  Now add D'Anton Lynn, Stacey McGee and/or Tony Gillespie, Jameel Owens and/or Joe Adams, and two good O linemen and this class will be excellent.  I am very intrigued by the guy from Pine Bluff I think, something Little.  He was hurt last year, but appears he has all the measureables you could ask for.  I'd like to sign him, if he has recovered.

351hog

Quote from: SoTexHog on August 02, 2007, 11:03:12 am
Add a #9 ranking for DB's.  Tied for #16 in LB's.  Prospects for moving up in both categories exist.  Yep, I'd say this class has a very good foundation.  Now add D'Anton Lynn, Stacey McGee and/or Tony Gillespie, Jameel Owens and/or Joe Adams, and two good O linemen and this class will be excellent.  I am very intrigued by the guy from Pine Bluff I think, something Little.  He was hurt last year, but appears he has all the measureables you could ask for.  I'd like to sign him, if he has recovered.

Little from Watson Chapel....he will be getting an offer after his first game and he will be a HOG.  4.4 40 yd dash at the first Hog Football Camp.

SoTexHog

Quote from: 351hog on August 02, 2007, 11:05:56 am

Little from Watson Chapel....he will be getting an offer after his first game and he will be a HOG.  4.4 40 yd dash at the first Hog Football Camp.
thanks  +1 for the quick response.

willkhitey

Quote from: 351hog on August 02, 2007, 11:05:56 am

Jeff Little...ran a 4.49, not 4.4 flat. Still that's moving for anybody, especially a 6-2, 220-pounder. I know we bemoan the "sleepers" we go after, but this guy could be the steal of the class, IMO.
"What a terrible waste it is to lose one's mind"
--Dan Quayle, speaking to the NAACP

Mr. Perfect

it's a top 15 class David Lee is paying serios dividends for the Hogs. This thread will be attacked by  Haters later I'm glad it's positive now , but nothing positive last very long with the Haters.

PhillyHog

Quote from: modabusesucks on August 02, 2007, 02:39:42 pm
Quote from: Mr. Perfect on August 02, 2007, 02:20:43 pm
it's a top 15 class David Lee is paying serios dividends for the Hogs. This thread will be attacked by  Haters later I'm glad it's positive now , but nothing positive last very long with the Haters.

You are just as bad as "the haters" you bash by bringing this up.

I think the class will end up in the top 20, but top 15 is a stretch barring a considerable bump in rankings of current commitments.

We will have a better idea on Monday if any prospects get a considerable bump in ratings as that is when Rivals is releasing their next update.

Hollywood_HOGan45

good job to all the coaches especially david lee.

PigPusher

And Auburn is number 45 today with Florida at 35. 
A loyal and proud Hogville Hog since 07-01-2003 "pushing" our hogs: And a loyal Razorback fan since 1954.

FootballHog

Quote from: PigPusher on August 02, 2007, 04:22:16 pm
And Auburn is number 45 today with Florida at 35. 

I really dont think Auburn is going to go that much higher. Saban is DOMINATING Alabama recruiting so far, and I dont expect that to change. Its looking bad for the Weagles right now.

On the other hand, Florida should skyrocket in the next couple of weeks.

TX HOG

Auburn and florida don't have too many commitments right now.  Their avg. star is higher than ours.

jww1323

I think one thing that goes overlooked a lot is our staffs ability to scout and find good talent. We were one of the first schools, if not the first school, to offer D'Anton Lynn before he went to camp at USC. It was only after the USC camp that the USC's and Florida's offered him.

Hollywood_HOGan45

August 02, 2007, 04:55:16 pm #15 Last Edit: August 02, 2007, 04:59:45 pm by Hollywood_HOGan45
Quote from: 100+GM HAWG on August 02, 2007, 04:39:00 pm
Quote from: Hollywood_HOGan45 on August 02, 2007, 04:18:10 pm
Reckon who hired David Lee?

nm

cant say anything bad about nutt in the recruiting forum

Hollywood_HOGan45

August 02, 2007, 05:01:33 pm #16 Last Edit: August 02, 2007, 05:03:58 pm by Hollywood_HOGan45
Quote from: 100+GM HAWG on August 02, 2007, 04:58:49 pm
Quote from: Hollywood_HOGan45 on August 02, 2007, 04:55:16 pm
Quote from: 100+GM HAWG on August 02, 2007, 04:39:00 pm
Quote from: Hollywood_HOGan45 on August 02, 2007, 04:18:10 pm
Reckon who hired David Lee?

oh yeah
that guy who hired lee behind his previous OC's back.

We're winning in recruiting despite your hero.

Kills you to say it, but you got it out. That's right, Houston Nutt.

not gonna risk getting banned debating about your hero in the recruiting forum

guess you're another one of those fans that loves being average

The Hog

Quote from: TX HOG on August 02, 2007, 04:27:16 pm
Auburn and florida don't have too many commitments right now.  Their avg. star is higher than ours.
Someone on this board understands the rankings.  This is elementary math but some do not understand it. 

I do not know how many we can sign this year but they better be great because we will drop from the present standings if they are not.  Some of these guys rankings will change as the high school season winds down and folks get a chance to evaluate their talent.
Automatic RUN!

HugoBezdek

For some reason I'm excited about being ahead of Nebraska and I have my sights set on finishing ahead of Bama 264 points ahead of us.  Is that wrong?

ThisTeetsTaken

Doesn't really mean anything at this point because we are ranked this high because of the high number of commits we have.  The other schools will catch up by signing day and we'll end up somewhere around 30th-40th nationally and 6th-8th in the conference.
***"He must increase, but I must decrease"***

Hawgballz

Quote from: ThisTeetsTaken on August 02, 2007, 07:01:39 pm
Doesn't really mean anything at this point because we are ranked this high because of the high number of commits we have.  The other schools will catch up by signing day and we'll end up somewhere around 30th-40th nationally and 6th-8th in the conference.

You may be about right on the 6-8 in the SEC, but you are way low on the national rank.  I say 18-20.
Players Win Games And Winning Brings Players!

Albert Swinestein

Actually, I think that is a mathematical impossibility (your statement that the Hawgs will finish from 30-40 nationally.  In fact, we could stop now and not be ranked as low as 40 for past 3 year rankings.
Quote from: ThisTeetsTaken on August 02, 2007, 07:01:39 pm

ThisTeetsTaken

40th may have been an exaggeration. We were ranked 31st last year by rivals.  My point was that we sign ABOUT the same quality of players every year(according to the rivals ranking system).
***"He must increase, but I must decrease"***

Albert Swinestein

I think this class is better than most past classes per the Rivals system, but I have not gone back and researched it.  Out of curiosity, does anyone know the highest the Hawgs have finished in football recruiting per the Rivals system?  It will be interesting to see how this year closes out...although I realize there are a handful of schools that may leap us by years end (FL, etc).

Quote from: ThisTeetsTaken on August 02, 2007, 07:59:01 pm
40th may have been an exaggeration. We were ranked 31st last year by rivals.  My point was that we sign ABOUT the same quality of players every year(according to the rivals ranking system).

UAfanatic

13th.. Right between Texas A&M and Nebraska.. 

cardinalhawg

The key to us going up in regards to average stars, may not be guys jumping from three to four stars, but the guys jumping from two stars to three stars.  We may have some move up to four, but if most of the two stars go up to three stars, that will help a lot.  If we can get it down to just one or two two stars, then the average star rating will be around 3 or better, thus giving us a better chance for a higher rated recruiting class come signing day.

justmaybe

It would be interesting to look but we have probably because of many factors have a chance to hold our own. It is not just a numbers game with how many recruits we have I do not believe. Our recruits which are usually 3 stars with some 2 stars have more of a chance to move than someone elses 4 stars. particularly when we have a lot of guys not yet evaluated. Florida and LSU have hardly anyone not already evaluated.

I think we will drop some but not a whole lot. Particularly if we have a good year, and pick a Gillespie, an Adams, or gasp! Brown.

I think we will offer Little from PB and the OL from AL we just sign goes to a 3 star. One guy moving doesn't affect the avg much I realize. But I still think this class if we hold em stays in the top 20.

The Hog

Why are we wanting so many early commits?  Is it to put us in a position to cancel verbal commitments with kids who would sign today?  Interesting strategy.
Automatic RUN!

Porkahontas

All I'm gonna say is that the staff better land a couple of big ones or we'll fall like a rock down the stretch.

Remember when Mitch recommitted? We shot up like 7 spots when that happened. That's what landing a coveted 5-star recruit will do for the ranking of a class.

There are still a LOT of top prospects out there and unless we land one or two of them, or three or four 4-star and very high 3-star prospects, we stand the real risk of seeing the Hogs tumble quite a bit from the #13 perch once these top prospects start pledging with schools like Florida and those below the Hogs with less prospects on board.

Nothing wrong with getting excited about the class but keep things in perspective. I also have no idea how the grades look with all of these kids, though that won't affect the rankings and number of commits and such.

Hawgballz

Quote from: The Hog on August 03, 2007, 09:20:20 pm
Why are we wanting so many early commits?  Is it to put us in a position to cancel verbal commitments with kids who would sign today?  Interesting strategy.

Cancelling verbal commitments is not a strategy.

The Hog

Quote from: Hawgballz on August 03, 2007, 11:14:43 pm

Are you saying offers are never pulled to "sign a LOI" with another player the coaches would like better?  It is a strategy and is used by colleges.  I did not say a good strategy, just a somethng that happens.
Automatic RUN!

Hawgballz

Quote from: The Hog on August 04, 2007, 09:34:57 am

Are you saying offers are never pulled to "sign a LOI" with another player the coaches would like better?  It is a strategy and is used by colleges.  I did not say a good strategy, just a somethng that happens.

A "strategy" is something you design & plan on from the start (beforehand).  Having to pull an offer after a kid commits is an unfortunate reality of college football when more kids qualify for a particular year than what you had planned on.  There is a huge difference and no coach would go into a recruiting season planning on pulling offers from kids.

Adam Stokes

Quote from: Hawgballz on August 04, 2007, 09:48:04 am
Quote from: The Hog on August 04, 2007, 09:34:57 am

A "strategy" is something you design & plan on from the start (beforehand).  Having to pull an offer after a kid commits is an unfortunate reality of college football when more kids qualify for a particular year than what you had planned on.  There is a huge difference and no coach would go into a recruiting season planning on pulling offers from kids.

If kids see a trend in players being cut near signing day they may not want to commit to us in the first place.  They are giving their word to us that they will be on campus.  It's bad enough when a player changes his mind, but when a university does it puts that university in a very bad light.  It could hurt future recruiting very much, especially when coaches from other universities point it out to prospects interested in us.

blu

Quote from: UAfanatic on August 03, 2007, 09:58:55 am
13th.. Right between Texas A&M and Nebraska.. 

This ain't bad - I think based on the fact we competed well against every team except USC last season is an indication of the overall good job the coaches do in evaluating talent. All 4 of the teams that beat us were in the final Top 7. This looks like a very good group, especially for this early in the process - Plan A players.
"But it is no shame to suffer for being a Christian. Praise God for the privilege of being called by His name!"  I Peter 4:16

The Hog

August 04, 2007, 05:43:20 pm #34 Last Edit: August 04, 2007, 05:46:36 pm by The Hog
Has the slide started?  We are down one.  14th on Rivals average 2.75 and down from 2.89.  17 on Scout and 2.5.
Automatic RUN!

arklahoman36

The strategy in that regard is actually to use a conditional offer -- letting the kid know he's not choice #1 and his offer is conditioned upon certain circumstances.

Only bush league coaches pull a scholarship offer without that understanding up front.

jackflash

I like to look at the rating of players myself to see how we match up with other schools.  Saying that, I like this class so far, do not care how Rivals or Scout see them, getting these kids to committ early is a plus, playing well during the season will be the key to how many you lose to other schools. Hope to finish it off with more defensive players, especially at DT or CB