Previous topic - Next topic

yraciv

Anyone know who we have coming in?  I've only heard 3 names:
Spencer McCorkel- All American pole vaulter
Michael Chinchar- All American distance runner
Nate Durham- State High Jump Champ

JKT

Here's an article about the spring signings:

http://www.hogwired.com/ViewArticle.dbml?SPSID=30837&SPID=2430&DB_OEM_ID=6100&ATCLID=880716

Also Alex and Andy McClary (twins that transferred from Cal) will be eligeble next season.
They are both middle distance (800, mile) guys.   Andy finished fifth at the US national championships
in the 1500 in June.

tbhogfan

Add to your list
Duncan Phillips - middle distance runner from Texas.
Lane Boyer, middle distance from KS
Alex Neff, middle distance from KS
Chris Bilbrew, probably an 800 meter runner from Alabama
Eric Thompson, high jumper and long jumper from Illinois
Luke Laird, javelin thrower from KS

And a couple of transfers to keep your eye on are the McClary twins, Alex and Andy.   
Go Hogs!

tbhogfan

I went to school with Cam and Judy McClary (Alex and Andy's mom and dad).  I feel old.
Go Hogs!

jbhicks

Also, Spencer McCorkel is an awesome pole vaulter. He went to Bryant High School, and broke the 15 year old state recrord set by Morry Sanders, who now coaches at Lake Hamilton. He has been ranked as one of the top 3 pole vaulters in the country the past 3 years. This year he had the 3 highest vaults of any high schooler. Spencer's best jump came in June with a leap of 17'9. This is the 4th best jump ever for a high schooler.

He was featured in SI's Faces In the Crowd: http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/scorecard/faces/2007/06/25/

tbhogfan

Spencer has the potential to make a huge impact over the next few years.  Even though he has been extremely well coached, he will benefit greatly from Arkansas' weight program, facilities and the coaching staff's mentality.
Go Hogs!

jbhicks

Quote from: tbhogfan on August 01, 2007, 11:59:55 am
Spencer has the potential to make a huge impact over the next few years.  Even though he has been extremely well coached, he will benefit greatly from Arkansas' weight program, facilities and the coaching staff's mentality.

Morry Sanders is the best pole vault coach in the state, and one of the best in the country. He has been asked by several colleges to come coach, but he loves it at Lake Hamilton, his alma mata. He is in line to take over for legendary track coach Karl Koonce when he retires.

FayettenamVeteran

Quote from: jbhicks on August 01, 2007, 12:09:31 pm

Morry Sanders is the best pole vault coach in the state, and one of the best in the country. He has been asked by several colleges to come coach, but he loves it at Lake Hamilton, his alma mata. He is in line to take over for legendary track coach Karl Koonce when he retires.

I pole vaulted in high school and a season in college back in the early 90's.  Sanders was the unattainable standard then and recently, until McCorkel came along.  I'm looking forward to McCorkel vaulting at Arkansas. 

Arkansas has some very good women's vaulters at the high school and collegiate level too. 

jbhicks

August 01, 2007, 12:27:34 pm #8 Last Edit: August 01, 2007, 03:21:34 pm by jbhicks
Quote from: FayettenamVeteran on August 01, 2007, 12:15:31 pm
Quote from: jbhicks on August 01, 2007, 12:09:31 pm

I pole vaulted in high school and a season in college back in the early 90's.  Sanders was the unattainable standard then and recently, until McCorkel came along.  I'm looking forward to McCorkel vaulting at Arkansas. 

Arkansas has some very good women's vaulters at the high school and collegiate level too. 

Yes, actually one of Morry's female athletes was ranked in the Top 5 in the country this past season. Stephanie Foreman from Lake Hamilton vaulted 13'2. This is one of the ten best vaults ever high school girls.

jbhicks