Austin Reaves

Started by draftkings33, February 07, 2018, 09:09:37 am

Previous topic - Next topic

FineAsSwine

Hogs up! Covid down!

NinoHogUNIA

Quote from: HawgHeadCheese on February 07, 2018, 10:44:07 pm
😂😂😂 What do they have in common?

Same thing majority of our Quarterbacks have been in football.
BIE

Dominicanhog

Quote from: hogsanity on February 07, 2018, 10:41:01 pm
Then again, Mike did not offer Hannahs either out of hs, he and Reaves do have one thing in common............

So you hate the coach because he's black and you think he doesn't take players because they are white.. at least you are consistent..

Peter Porker

Quote from: FineAsSwine on February 07, 2018, 10:02:24 pm
Ok so he can't recruit, can't evaluate talent, and can't coach, but still he: is second in SEC wins over last 3 years; made it to the SEC championship game 2 of last 3 years; and he's 1 of only 4 coaches who never had a losing season (min. 15 seasons).

Can you explain his success in light of all of the limitations you believe he has?

Consider half the coaches in the league didn't start coaching in the league until 2015.....
Quote from: Peter Porker on January 08, 2014, 04:03:21 pm
Notice he says your boy instead of "our coach". Very telling.

I'm not worried. If he recruits like he did here Louisville will fire him in about 5 years.

hogsanity

Quote from: FineAsSwine on February 07, 2018, 10:55:40 pm
They is white?

Quote from: NinoHogUNIA on February 08, 2018, 06:22:59 am

Quote from: Dominicanhog on February 08, 2018, 06:38:53 am
So you hate the coach because he's black and you think he doesn't take players because they are white.. at least you are consistent..

All the things those 2 have in common - great shooters, can create off the dribble, good passers, smart defenders even though perhaps not quite as good on ball as others, good teammates, good people not getting into trouble, yet everyone goes to the race issue, kind of telling.

But since it was brought up, how many white players has Mike signed while at AR? I know he got Mickelson in his 1st class.
People ask me what I do in winter when there is no baseball.  I will tell you what I do. I stare out the window, and I wait for spring.

"Anything goes wrong, anything at all, your fault, my fault, nobodies fault, I'm going to blow your head off."  John Wayne in BIG JAKE

Cotton

Quote from: hogsanity on February 08, 2018, 08:22:55 am
All the things those 2 have in common - great shooters, can create off the dribble, good passers, smart defenders even though perhaps not quite as good on ball as others, good teammates, good people not getting into trouble, yet everyone goes to the race issue, kind of telling.

But since it was brought up, how many white players has Mike signed while at AR? I know he got Mickelson in his 1st class.
Oh boy here we go...

*Grabs Popcorn*
"Who got a Scantron for Ryan Mallet?"  - Ryan Mallet, 2009

Razorbacks in Mexico

Ponderin' SUX

hogsanity

Quote from: Cotton on February 08, 2018, 08:32:03 am
Oh boy here we go...

*Grabs Popcorn*

Seemed like at least 3 posters wanted to talk about it
People ask me what I do in winter when there is no baseball.  I will tell you what I do. I stare out the window, and I wait for spring.

"Anything goes wrong, anything at all, your fault, my fault, nobodies fault, I'm going to blow your head off."  John Wayne in BIG JAKE

(notOM)Rebel123

Quote from: hogsanity on February 07, 2018, 10:41:01 pm
Academic issues never stopped Anderson, and they sure never stopped his mentor, from taking risks on the type of kids they were willing to take risks on. Then again, Mike did not offer Hannahs either out of hs, he and Reaves do have one thing in common............

For some reason Mike did not want a guy that can shoot AND play defense. Mike prefers one dimensional players. Barford and Macon can score, but are nothing special on D. Had guys in the past like Bell that were the same. Or a guy like Manny Watkins, who until the last few games of his sr year never saw a shot he would not pass up, but played really good.

Academic issues caused Mike and everyone else to back off of Reaves. He most certainly had qualifying problems and this came from someone who coaches at Cedar Ridge High School. Go to ESPN college hoops recruiting, it shows one school, Wichita St, same with Rivals. ASU even shied away from him. He's a good player, but he just wasn't academically eligible when Mike, and many others, had to make a decision.
"Knowledge is Good"....Emil Faber

HogFaninMemphis

Quote from: hogsanity on February 08, 2018, 08:41:59 am
Seemed like at least 3 posters wanted to talk about it
This has nothing to do with racism. Mike Anderson likes to recruit athletic guards and forwards who can run up and down the floor to play his style of stifling D (don't insert here that we don't play D, no matter how true). Most non-elite recruits who are great shooters are either not very athletic, undersized, can't handle the ball, or some combination of those things. Dusty when he came out of high school could shoot 3s and not do much else. Ant Bell took 3 years to develop enough to play defense, because he wasn't quick enough to play good full-court man. We got the developed end of Dusty's career, which was lots of fun, but let's not act like he was a complete player coming out of high school.
I know nothing of Austin Reaves's academic situation, but based on MA's recruiting history, he doesn't seem like someone MA would have recruited anyway. Am I wrong about that?
Go Hogs, Go Cardinals, and Go Grizzlies!

hogsanity

Quote from: (notOM)Rebel123 on February 08, 2018, 08:55:38 am
Academic issues caused Mike and everyone else to back off of Reaves. He most certainly had qualifying problems and this came from someone who coaches at Cedar Ridge High School. Go to ESPN college hoops recruiting, it shows one school, Wichita St, same with Rivals. ASU even shied away from him. He's a good player, but he just wasn't academically eligible when Mike, and many others, had to make a decision.

Hannah's had no academic issues. As for " they couldn't wait to see if Reaves qualified " yea, I guess  there was a rush to sign Hazen, who played in all of 10 games before transferring out. 

(notOM)Rebel123

Quote from: hogsanity on February 08, 2018, 09:12:06 am
Hannah's had no academic issues. As for " they couldn't wait to see if Reaves qualified " yea, I guess  there was a rush to sign Hazen, who played in all of 10 games before transferring out. 

Curious why Reaves offer list was so short? I guess every coach besides Marshall missed on him.

hogsanity

Quote from: (notOM)Rebel123 on February 08, 2018, 09:16:10 am
Curious why Reaves offer list was so short?

There were legit questions surrounding his eligibility. My point is those saying Mike just could not wait to see what happened are a little hollow when you see the last signee in that class. To say Hazen was a reach is being kind. Not one thing about him said " Mike Anderson type player ". Leaving that scholarship unfilled would have been better.

Cotton

Rotnei jumped shipped after 3 months with Mike too... Just saying

Razorbacks in Mexico

Ponderin' SUX

(notOM)Rebel123

Quote from: hogsanity on February 08, 2018, 09:19:39 am
There were legit questions surrounding his eligibility. My point is those saying Mike just could not wait to see what happened are a little hollow when you see the last signee in that class. To say Hazen was a reach is being kind. Not one thing about him said " Mike Anderson type player ". Leaving that scholarship unfilled would have been better.

In hindsight, I agree.

NoogaHog

Quote from: Cotton on February 08, 2018, 09:32:35 am
Rotnei jumped shipped after 3 months with Mike too... Just saying

Rotnei had been wanting to leave for over a year when Pelphrey was still there and his family made it very public that Arkansas wasn't stroking his ego enough, him being the second coming of Pete Maravich and all.
Слава Богу - Slava Bogu - "Glory to God"

(notOM)Rebel123

How many has Calipari signed?  ;)

HogInThaGrove

Quote from: NoogaHog on February 08, 2018, 09:38:43 am
Rotnei had been wanting to leave for over a year when Pelphrey was still there and his family made it very public that Arkansas wasn't stroking his ego enough, him being the second coming of Pete Maravich and all.

Rotnei is what Tim Tebow would be if Tim was a fake.  Thankfully, Timmy is the real deal and backs up what he says with his actions.  Rot was all about Rot. 

farfromgroovins

http://www.kansas.com/sports/college/wichita-state/article197492984.html

Seven 3-pointers all off 1 dribble. 6 of 7 were from assists.
Catch-and-shoot on a break, coming off screens, kick-outs from inside or penetration.

Even had he ended up here, I haven't seen anything from this team that would have set him up like that. It's not about creating your own shot, it's about creating other's shots.

NoogaHog

You know, I think this board could really use another Bobby Petrino or KJ Hill or Malik Monk thread. Maybe we need 2 or 3 threads on Andre Igoudala or Al Jefferson or Mike Conley, Jr.

Move ON, people!

hogsanity

Quote from: (notOM)Rebel123 on February 08, 2018, 09:40:08 am
How many has Calipari signed?  ;)

No idea. How many nba lottery picks has Mike signed? 

My point on Reaves is that while there may have been questions about him getting eligible, it is not like Mike was going to have to turn away anyone of substance to wait and see if he was going to make it.

Adam Stokes

Quote from: awshucks on February 07, 2018, 12:16:24 pm
In football there is no question....in basketball I don't agree.  The only advantage the SEC has is that they refuse to schedule away games against smaller NAME conference opponents because of their fear of losing to a "no name."  Go back and check out how over the years UCONN, KENTUCKY, UCLA, DUKE, INDIANA, OHIO ST, KANSAS, LOUISVILLE, FlORIDA, and ARIZONA never seem to go on the road to play a tough Mid Major Conference opponent on their home court.  Almost never happens.  Jim Calhoun was famous for it.

What a load of crock. There look to be around 10 mid-majors that look like they will be at-large contenders this year. Those teams are Cincinnati, Rhode Island, Gonzaga, St Mary's, Wichita State, Nevada, Houston, Boise State, MTSU, and SMU. The SEC played 10 games against the group.

Here are a few examples from just this season of SEC teams traveling to play mid-majors. Maybe "few" isn't the right word, as no one would say they had a few kids when they had 12.

- We went to Houston
- Auburn traveled to Dayton and Murray State
- Mizzou went to UCF
- LSU went to Memphis
- MSU went to Cincinnati
- South Carolina went to Wofford and FIU
- Georgia played at Cal State Fullerton and Umass
- Ole Miss went to MTSU
- Vanderbilt went to Belmont

The SEC also played 44 neutral site games, and most teams had an away game at a P6 school. If anything, the reason that SEC teams don't go out and schedule "tough mid-major opponents" is that besides from Gonzaga, Cincinnati, and Wichita St, the bulk of the other teams are rarely at-large contenders and flaky from year to year. I think last year had what, 3 or 4 at large bids from non-P6 schools make the tourney?

I haven't even mentioned how $$$ plays into scheduling non-con opponents. Sigh.

I hardly even know who Austin Reeves is, but since you are so sorely wrong on this point my default is to think anything you post is short-sighted and not well thought out.

NoogaHog

Quote from: Adam Stokes on February 08, 2018, 10:13:33 am
What a load of crock. There look to be around 10 mid-majors that look like they will be at-large contenders this year. Those teams are Cincinnati, Rhode Island, Gonzaga, St Mary's, Wichita State, Nevada, Houston, Boise State, MTSU, and SMU. The SEC played 10 games against the group.

Here are a few examples from just this season of SEC teams traveling to play mid-majors. Maybe few isn't the right word, as no one would say they had a few kids when they had 12.

- We went to Houston
- Mizzou went to UCF
- LSU went to Memphis
- MSU went to Cincinnati
- Ole Miss went to MTSU

The SEC also played 44 neutral site games in tournaments, and most teams had an away game at a P6 school. If anything, the reason that SEC teams don't go out and schedule "tough mid-major opponents" is that besides from Gonzaga, Cincinnati, and Wichita St, the bulk of the other teams are rarely at-large contenders and flaky from year to year. I think last year had what, 3 or 4 at large bids from non-P6 schools make the tourney?

I hardly even know who Austin Reeves is, but since you are so sorely wrong on this point my default is to think anything you post is short-sighted and not well thought out.

Son, you better be careful. You're gonna get yourself bant bringing, like, facts and stuff.

FineAsSwine

Hogs up! Covid down!

Hawg Red

February 08, 2018, 10:46:06 am #73 Last Edit: February 08, 2018, 12:03:26 pm by Hawg Red
Quote from: awshucks on February 07, 2018, 11:48:28 am
After reading some of the comments in the Recruiting Forum about Austin Reaves I have to shake my head at the lack of basketball knowledge of some of the people who post on this forum.  Wichita State played Memphis last night. After that game Reaves has scored at least 20 points in three straight games. Over that span, the sophomore guard has made 21 of 35 shots, including 15 of 27 from outside the arc.  And he is now a starter for Gregg Marshall.

Yet, HawgHead Cheese mocked Austin Reaves basically saying that Reaves is not a "lockdown defender".  (I have now gone back and watched the last 3 Wichita State games.  Reaves is killing it on the defensive end.)

Hawg Red implied that Reaves is not really an offensive threat.  That he "Is more likely going to be the next Evan Wessel."  (So do these two views cancel each other out?  HawgHead Cheese says that Reaves can't defend, and Hawg Red saying that Reaves can't score but he can defend like one of Wichita States greatest defenders ever.

And then there is this from Shadow Hawg "Reaves is a PROJECT in a power league though."  A Project in basketball is someone that you take a chance on and hope that after 2 or 3 years they will have serviceable skills their Junior or Senior season.  Let me just repeat, Reaves has scored at least 20 points in three straight games. Over that span, the sophomore guard has made 21 of 35 shots, including 15 of 27 from outside the arc.  All this while playing around 23 minutes per game.

We missed on this one.  I don't think it was Academics that made us not go after him....this is pure speculation on my part....I think part of it was his shoulder problem.  The kid had a shoulder that would pop out of socket if he sneezed too hard.  His Freshman season at WSU he was hit on a screen and the shoulder went again.  During the off season he had surgery to tighten up the whole shoulder.  He now leads the team in taking charges.  Amazing.

Yeah, so you've taken quite a bit of liberty with what I actually said. My Evan Wessel comment was really just to say that Austin Reaves was more likely to be a role player type player. It wasn't a direct stylistic comparison. To be honest, I'm not all that familiar with Evan Wessel so I wouldn't have been able to have my comment mean that Reaves was a limited offensive player but a gifted defender.

Cotton

Quote from: NoogaHog on February 08, 2018, 09:38:43 am
I'm aware, just stirring the pot.

He's actually doing pretty well in the Australian League last I heard. 

Razorbacks in Mexico

Ponderin' SUX

NoogaHog

Quote from: Cotton on February 08, 2018, 10:54:54 am
I'm aware, just stirring the pot.

I figured. Awesome! Makes stupid irrelevant threads more fun.

Cotton

Quote from: NoogaHog on February 08, 2018, 11:19:02 am
Just trying to stick with the status quo...

Razorbacks in Mexico

Ponderin' SUX

hogsanity

Quote from: NoogaHog on February 08, 2018, 11:19:02 am

what fun would it be if everyone agreed and there was no controversy? We'd have one thread " Hogs are awesome"

HawgHeadCheese

Quote from: NinoHogUNIA on February 08, 2018, 06:22:59 am
😂😂😂

hogsanity

awshucks

Quote from: Adam Stokes on February 08, 2018, 10:13:33 am

Here are a few examples from just this season of SEC teams traveling to play mid-majors. Maybe "few" isn't the right word, as no one would say they had a few kids when they had 12.

- We went to Houston
- Mizzou went to UCF
- LSU went to Memphis
- MSU went to Cincinnati
- Ole Miss went to MTSU

The SEC also played 44 neutral site games, and most teams had an away game at a P6 school. If anything, the reason that SEC teams don't go out and schedule "tough mid-major opponents" is that besides from Gonzaga, Cincinnati, and Wichita St, the bulk of the other teams are rarely at-large contenders and flaky from year to year. I think last year had what, 3 or 4 at large bids from non-P6 schools make the tourney?

You are absolutely correct about those teams, the bottom of the SEC, (or BIG Ten, or ACC) or BIG EAST) but I listed the teams that won't travel.  For example Tennessee got beat at Wichita State, so did Alabama, and Texas Tech as well.  But, no BLUE BLOODS.  Where are they on that list?

HawgsPolo

He will never play in the NBA, maybe overseas
Go Cubs Go!!!!!

draftkings33

How could we not offer after watching this.  17 years old and physically immature.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=MlO1mQse-Sk

daprospecta

Quote from: HawgsPolo on February 08, 2018, 01:27:15 pm
He will never play in the NBA, maybe overseas
I thought the same but Dusty is absolutely killing it in the g league. Dusty may just get a ten day contract to see what he can do. Austin might too if he does the same.

draftkings33

Quote from: daprospecta on February 09, 2018, 08:53:34 am
I thought the same but Dusty is absolutely killing it in the g league. Dusty may just get a ten day contract to see what he can do. Austin might too if he does the same.
I saw a pic of him the other day.  From the looks of him our strength coach needs fired immediately because he did not look like that at Arkansas.  No guy averaging 7 ppg in the G league is gonna get called up

Illinihog

Quote from: dsims2k3 on February 07, 2018, 11:57:26 am
Reaves is playing in the AAC. The SEC is a totally different animal.

I get your sentiment, but that AAC team isn't a mid-major.  At this point who would you trust more evaluating a kids talent, MA or Marshall?

daprospecta

Quote from: draftkings33 on February 09, 2018, 09:03:03 am
I saw a pic of him the other day.  From the looks of him our strength coach needs fired immediately because he did not look like that at Arkansas.  No guy averaging 7 ppg in the G league is gonna get called up
He was killing it his first month or so. He had several 30 pt games. Maybe it has tapered off.

Hawg Red

Quote from: daprospecta on February 09, 2018, 11:31:02 am
He was killing it his first month or so. He had several 30 pt games. Maybe it has tapered off.

Not quite.

https://basketball.realgm.com/player/Dusty-Hannahs/GameLogs/44091

He had one 33-point game and one 23-point game. Outside of those games, he's only scored in double figures 7 times in 33 games.

Razorpigg

Come on mods. Can we not move this post please. It has ZERO to do with Razorback basketball.

Dominicanhog

Quote from: Cotton on February 08, 2018, 08:32:03 am
Oh boy here we go...

*Grabs Popcorn*

he can't help himself.. true colors always come out...

hoglady

The guards in our 2016 recruiting class were Macon, Barford and CJ Jones.

Certainly wouldn't trade Macon or Barford for Reaves.
We'll know alot more about CJ Jones next year when he'll need to play a bigger role.
Inside every "older" person is a younger person wondering what the hell happened?

"Compassion for animals is intimately associated with goodness of character, and it may be confidently asserted that he who is cruel to animals cannot be a good man."
― Arthur Schopenhauer, The Basis of Morality