Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Austin Reaves

Started by draftkings33, February 07, 2018, 09:09:37 am

Previous topic - Next topic

draftkings33

This kid is gonna play pro basketball for a long time.  His coach is finally playing him and he is ranked near the top in the nation in offensive efficiency.  Huge miss for the Hogs. 

HogInThaGrove

A lot of people will say he wouldn't qualify academically and I think that's bullshart.  Mike didn't do his homework on him just like Nolan didn't with Keith Carter back in the 90's.  We just got lucky that Reaves went out of conference whereas Carter went to Ole Miss and proceeded to drop 30 on us every time we played them.  Believe Ole Miss had 4-5 kids from Arkansas on that team and beat Arkansas 5/6 times in that span. 

When Reaves dropped 70 with the whole Forrest City 5A state championship team trying to stop him, that should have been an indicator of how good he is.  Coaches kid, great ballhandler, 6'5" with range, and great passer.  Yeah, we don't need that kind.  Instead we have CJ who quite possibly can't dribble the ball and can't create his own shot, though he is a good streaky shooter.

Mike and Co missed on this one.  IF people say we were leery because of the Kapita situation, then these coaches aren't smart.  This is an instate kid who we could have stayed on and even had done summer school with.  Kapita never did qualify for the Hogs, played 1 season at NC State, and then tried to go pro.  Not bright to begin with obviously.

onebadrubi

My guess is he wasn't wanted because he didn't put the same intensity of the defensive side of the ball as the offensive side.  Possibly a partial step slow compared to the athleticism of the some of the recruits we took instead (previous poster said jones), might not be a lights out free throw shooter, might miss a three or two, worse case he might be a step slow closing out on a three point shooter on the defensive side of the ball.  and most importantly, he might not be very good at the full court trap trap game...

Oh waaaiiiitt...  I think I just mentioned all of the Arkansas current issues..  oops

Cotton

Quote from: onebadrubi on February 07, 2018, 10:14:46 am
My guess is he wasn't wanted because he didn't put the same intensity of the defensive side of the ball as the offensive side.  Possibly a partial step slow compared to the athleticism of the some of the recruits we took instead (previous poster said jones), might not be a lights out free throw shooter, might miss a three or two, worse case he might be a step slow closing out on a three point shooter on the defensive side of the ball.  and most importantly, he might not be very good at the full court trap trap game...

Oh waaaiiiitt...  I think I just mentioned all of the Arkansas current issues..  oops
LOL
"Who got a Scantron for Ryan Mallet?"  - Ryan Mallet, 2009

Razorbacks in Mexico

Ponderin' SUX

tomw

mike too busy giving schollies to his nephews and friends sons to recruit a really good team...needs new assistant coaches but that wont happen either..riding andersons coattails..no one wants any of andersons assistants, they arent any good

HogFaninMemphis

It happens. Sometimes you miss guys. I'm more concerned with missing the top recruits in the state than missing diamonds in the rough. There's a lot of luck involved with that. There is plenty to be said about MA's recruiting over the years, but I don't think this is one we can complain too much about. He was a nobody on the recruiting trail.
Go Hogs, Go Cardinals, and Go Grizzlies!

Hawg Red

Reaves was absolutely at risk of not qualifying at least as of the early signing period. Programs like Gonzaga and Miss. State were looking at him also and did not offer. I'm not saying it would have made a difference because I really don't think it would have (Mike wanted C.J.), but you can trust that there were academic concerns. Again, I think that was more of a factor for other schools that may have legitimately been looking to sign him but it was real.

awshucks

After reading some of the comments in the Recruiting Forum about Austin Reaves I have to shake my head at the lack of basketball knowledge of some of the people who post on this forum.  Wichita State played Memphis last night. After that game Reaves has scored at least 20 points in three straight games. Over that span, the sophomore guard has made 21 of 35 shots, including 15 of 27 from outside the arc.  And he is now a starter for Gregg Marshall.

Yet, HawgHead Cheese mocked Austin Reaves basically saying that Reaves is not a "lockdown defender".  (I have now gone back and watched the last 3 Wichita State games.  Reaves is killing it on the defensive end.)

Hawg Red implied that Reaves is not really an offensive threat.  That he "Is more likely going to be the next Evan Wessel."  (So do these two views cancel each other out?  HawgHead Cheese says that Reaves can't defend, and Hawg Red saying that Reaves can't score but he can defend like one of Wichita States greatest defenders ever.

And then there is this from Shadow Hawg "Reaves is a PROJECT in a power league though."  A Project in basketball is someone that you take a chance on and hope that after 2 or 3 years they will have serviceable skills their Junior or Senior season.  Let me just repeat, Reaves has scored at least 20 points in three straight games. Over that span, the sophomore guard has made 21 of 35 shots, including 15 of 27 from outside the arc.  All this while playing around 23 minutes per game.

We missed on this one.  I don't think it was Academics that made us not go after him....this is pure speculation on my part....I think part of it was his shoulder problem.  The kid had a shoulder that would pop out of socket if he sneezed too hard.  His Freshman season at WSU he was hit on a screen and the shoulder went again.  During the off season he had surgery to tighten up the whole shoulder.  He now leads the team in taking charges.  Amazing.

cardsNhogs

MA wanted CJ over Reaves. His recruiting may be worse than his coaching

dsims2k3

Reaves is playing in the AAC. The SEC is a totally different animal.
Quote from: Boston RedHogs on October 23, 2013, 06:39:15 pm
I am always ready for Hog Ball!

The football season has no bearing on my excitement for basketball season to begin. 

I know I'm in the minority, but I rank Hog basketball above Hog football every day of the week and twice on Sundays. Has a lot to do with the era in which I grew up, but for me personally there is just nothing better than watching the Hogs run up and down the court!
Woo Pig Sooiee!  Can't wait for the season to tip off.  I'm hoping for a much more competitive team this season.

draftkings33

Quote from: HogFaninMemphis on February 07, 2018, 11:01:19 am
It happens. Sometimes you miss guys. I'm more concerned with missing the top recruits in the state than missing diamonds in the rough. There's a lot of luck involved with that. There is plenty to be said about MA's recruiting over the years, but I don't think this is one we can complain too much about. He was a nobody on the recruiting trail.
Um wrong

draftkings33

Quote from: awshucks on February 07, 2018, 11:48:28 am
After reading some of the comments in the Recruiting Forum about Austin Reaves I have to shake my head at the lack of basketball knowledge of some of the people who post on this forum.  Wichita State played Memphis last night. After that game Reaves has scored at least 20 points in three straight games. Over that span, the sophomore guard has made 21 of 35 shots, including 15 of 27 from outside the arc.  And he is now a starter for Gregg Marshall.

Yet, HawgHead Cheese mocked Austin Reaves basically saying that Reaves is not a "lockdown defender".  (I have now gone back and watched the last 3 Wichita State games.  Reaves is killing it on the defensive end.)

Hawg Red implied that Reaves is not really an offensive threat.  That he "Is more likely going to be the next Evan Wessel."  (So do these two views cancel each other out?  HawgHead Cheese says that Reaves can't defend, and Hawg Red saying that Reaves can't score but he can defend like one of Wichita States greatest defenders ever.

And then there is this from Shadow Hawg "Reaves is a PROJECT in a power league though."  A Project in basketball is someone that you take a chance on and hope that after 2 or 3 years they will have serviceable skills their Junior or Senior season.  Let me just repeat, Reaves has scored at least 20 points in three straight games. Over that span, the sophomore guard has made 21 of 35 shots, including 15 of 27 from outside the arc.  All this while playing around 23 minutes per game.

We missed on this one.  I don't think it was Academics that made us not go after him....this is pure speculation on my part....I think part of it was his shoulder problem.  The kid had a shoulder that would pop out of socket if he sneezed too hard.  His Freshman season at WSU he was hit on a screen and the shoulder went again.  During the off season he had surgery to tighten up the whole shoulder.  He now leads the team in taking charges.  Amazing.

Great post.  Reaves is currently the best player on Wichita State and its not close.  Should have been getting more minutes all along but his coach loves to oversub and overcoach.  The kid is so good and was a late bloomer so will only keep improving.  It amazes me how some say he wasn't right for Anderson's system.  To me he was a perfect fit. 

awshucks

Quote from: dsims2k3 on February 07, 2018, 11:57:26 am

In football there is no question....in basketball I don't agree.  The only advantage the SEC has is that they refuse to schedule away games against smaller NAME conference opponents because of their fear of losing to a "no name."  Go back and check out how over the years UCONN, KENTUCKY, UCLA, DUKE, INDIANA, OHIO ST, KANSAS, LOUISVILLE, FlORIDA, and ARIZONA never seem to go on the road to play a tough Mid Major Conference opponent on their home court.  Almost never happens.  Jim Calhoun was famous for it.

draftkings33

Quote from: dsims2k3 on February 07, 2018, 11:57:26 am
LOL ok man. 

hawg4life2202

Quote from: draftkings33 on February 07, 2018, 12:21:53 pm
LOL ok man.

American will get 3 teams in tops, SEC will probably get 8 or 9 so yeah different animal.

draftkings33

Quote from: hawg4life2202 on February 07, 2018, 12:29:59 pm
American will get 3 teams in tops, SEC will probably get 8 or 9 so yeah different animal.
Does he play on a team better than most teams in the SEC?  Yes.  Is he rated the best offensive player on that team?  Yes.  Could he help Arkansas?  Yes.  SEC is a better conference but its not like a total different animal.  Reaves scored more on Memphis than any SEC team has. 

HogFaninMemphis

Quote from: draftkings33 on February 07, 2018, 12:08:25 pm
Um wrong
um wrong what? Which recruiting resources were you using?

Quote from: hawg4life2202 on February 07, 2018, 12:29:59 pm
That's not necessarily fair. WSU is a nationally relevant program, so him being good for them doesn't necessarily need a big adjustment for the conference he's playing in. Plus, Cincinnati is awesome. They play each other twice before the end of the year. should be fun games
Go Hogs, Go Cardinals, and Go Grizzlies!

hawg4life2202

Quote from: draftkings33 on February 07, 2018, 12:40:42 pm
Does he play on a team better than most teams in the SEC?  Yes.  Is he rated the best offensive player on that team?  Yes.  Could he help Arkansas?  Yes.  SEC is a better conference but its not like a total different animal.  Reaves scored more on Memphis than any SEC team has.

He's gone off 3 straight games against teams who won't sniff the NCAA tournament. These are his results against teams who will go to the NCAA tournament;

Oklahoma- 6 points/3 rebounds/1 assist
Oklahoma St- 5 points/5 rebounds
Houston- 5 points/2 rebounds/1 assist
Houston- 2 points/4 rebounds/3 assists

Throw in Notre Dame (2 points) and Baylor (5 points) who were ranked when Wichita State as well.

Get back to me when he puts 20 up against Cincinnati.

hawg4life2202

Quote from: cardsNhogs on February 07, 2018, 11:51:40 am

CJ Jones- 7 points/1.5 rebounds/.5 assists
Austin Reaves- 8.2 points/3.6 rebounds/2.1 assists

CJ also plays 5 less minutes a game.

draftkings33

Quote from: hawg4life2202 on February 07, 2018, 12:54:47 pm
He's gone off 3 straight games against teams who won't sniff the NCAA tournament. These are his results against teams who will go to the NCAA tournament;

Oklahoma- 6 points/3 rebounds/1 assist
Oklahoma St- 5 points/5 rebounds
Houston- 5 points/2 rebounds/1 assist
Houston- 2 points/4 rebounds/3 assists

Throw in Notre Dame (2 points) and Baylor (5 points) who were ranked when Wichita State as well.

Get back to me when he puts 20 up against Cincinnati.
Um he wasn't getting minutes those games and was coming off surgery.  He is rated one of the top players in the nation. 

draftkings33

Quote from: hawg4life2202 on February 07, 2018, 12:58:02 pm
CJ Jones- 7 points/1.5 rebounds/.5 assists
Austin Reaves- 8.2 points/3.6 rebounds/2.1 assists

CJ also plays 5 less minutes a game.
Didn't put the % in there huh what really matters.....And the funny thing is Reaves plays better/smarter defense

FineAsSwine

From reading the comments on here, Austin Reeves will be declare for the draft after this season. Why would he come back and risk injury to his shoulder and hurt his draft stock.

Let me go and check a few mock drafts and see where he is projected this year. I've seen Landry Shamet projected as a first round pick and someone in this thread says that Reeves is Wichita State's best player by far. I'm pretty sure the experts are on top of this as well. Well, not at NBADraft.net as of today.

So really, all I see a guy who was not heavily recruited (for various reasons) who goes out of state and has what looks to be a very promising career. Instead of congrats and best wishes to him, it is another bash CMA opportunity. Smh at you guys.
Hogs up! Covid down!

dsims2k3

Quote from: draftkings33 on February 07, 2018, 12:40:42 pm
Does he play on a team better than most teams in the SEC?  Yes.  Is he rated the best offensive player on that team?  Yes.  Could he help Arkansas?  Yes.  SEC is a better conference but its not like a total different animal.
Fine. Let's put the numbers up against common  Quality opponents.
6 pts vs OU Sooners
5 pts vs Ok State
5 pts vs Houston
2pts  @ Houston

The football season has no bearing on my excitement for basketball season to begin. 

I know I'm in the minority, but I rank Hog basketball above Hog football every day of the week and twice on Sundays. Has a lot to do with the era in which I grew up, but for me personally there is just nothing better than watching the Hogs run up and down the court!
Woo Pig Sooiee!  Can't wait for the season to tip off.  I'm hoping for a much more competitive team this season.

draftkings33

Quote from: FineAsSwine on February 07, 2018, 01:00:15 pm
From reading the comments on here, Austin Reeves will be declare for the draft after this season. Why would he come back and risk injury to his shoulder and hurt his draft stock.

Let me go and check a few mock drafts and see where he is projected this year. I've seen Landry Shamet projected as a first round pick and someone in this thread says that Reeves is Wichita State's best player by far. I'm pretty sure the experts are on top of this as well. Well, not at NBADraft.net as of today.

So really, all I see a guy who was not heavily recruited (for various reasons) who goes out of state and has what looks to be a very promising career. Instead of congrats and best wishes to him, it is another bash CMA opportunity. Smh at you guys.
Watch more games please.  Any Wichita St fan would tell you Reaves has been best player lately.  Reaves is basically better than him almost at every statistical category.  Remember the NBA scouts had Monk projected high and I told everyone how awful he was.  Got laughed at.  Well he's the worst player in the NBA. 

hawg4life2202

Quote from: draftkings33 on February 07, 2018, 12:58:16 pm
Um he wasn't getting minutes those games and was coming off surgery.  He is rated one of the top players in the nation.

Oklahoma St- 19 minutes
Oklahoma- 15 minutes
Houston- 19 minutes
Houston- 19 minutes

You can't just make stuff up. Also where is he rated as one of the top players in the nation besides in your head?

draftkings33

Quote from: dsims2k3 on February 07, 2018, 01:01:29 pm
Fine. Let's put the numbers up against common  Quality opponents.
6 pts vs OU Sooners
5 pts vs Ok State
5 pts vs Houston
2pts  @ Houston
You need to watch more games.  He wasn't getting big minutes then and he was playing a role.  Now the coach and team realize he is best offensive player on the team.   Finally!

draftkings33

Quote from: hawg4life2202 on February 07, 2018, 01:03:05 pm
Oklahoma St- 19 minutes
Oklahoma- 15 minutes
Houston- 19 minutes
Houston- 19 minutes

You can't just make stuff up. Also where is he rated as one of the top players in the nation besides in your head?
Go to synergy sports and pay the 20 bucks for the analytics.   Its not rocket science but if you are bad at math it helps.  If you shoot 48 percent from three and get assists and few turnovers you are gonna be ranked pretty high.  And like I said not big minutes.  Last 3 games finally getting consistent minutes and starting and averaging 22 ppg

FineAsSwine

Quote from: draftkings33 on February 07, 2018, 01:02:58 pm
Watch more games please.  Any Wichita St fan would tell you Reaves has been best player lately.  Reaves is basically better than him almost at every statistical category.  Remember the NBA scouts had Monk projected high and I told everyone how awful he was.  Got laughed at.  Well he's the worst player in the NBA.

I seen multiple Wichita State games this season. Wichita State fans are in short supply in my area so... I'm going to wait for the NBA scouts to move Reeves ahead of Shamet in this years draft projections over anything a Shocker would say anyway. Good luck to Reeves. I hope he does become their best player. He is an Arkansas kid and I hope he represents the state well.
Hogs up! Covid down!

kaki

Mistake or not, how does continually harping on this change anything?

FineAsSwine

Quote from: kaki on February 07, 2018, 01:12:53 pm

Kinda satisfying for some i guess. Sorta like a dog chewing on an old dry bone.
Hogs up! Covid down!

draftkings33

Quote from: kaki on February 07, 2018, 01:12:53 pm
I don't know.  I just get tired of watching some of our players then watching Reaves

dsims2k3

FineAsSwine

Quote from: draftkings33 on February 07, 2018, 01:17:10 pm
I don't know.  I just get tired of watching some of our players then watching Reaves

You would have probably hated watching Scottie Pippen too.
Hogs up! Covid down!

dsims2k3

In my book Reaves gets the same treatment as Monk or any other Arkansas prep who leaves. Congratulations and the best of luck to you. Stay humble and hungry!

draftkings33

Quote from: dsims2k3 on February 07, 2018, 01:21:23 pm
In my book Reaves gets the same treatment as Monk or any other Arkansas prep who leaves. Congratulations and the best of luck to you. Stay humble and hungry!
LOL I don't think Monk got that treatment....

FineAsSwine

Quote from: draftkings33 on February 07, 2018, 01:23:41 pm
LOL I don't think Monk got that treatment....

Social media commentary is not representative of the majority of the fanbase whether it be Twitter or Hogville. Most Arkansans who I come in contact with don't give a flip about what Monk is doing now that he is gone. I talk to Razorback fans all the time and none of them ever bring Monk up or ask about what he is doing. There has been no lingering hate nor lasting interest. Now, if he starts lighting it up and being a regular on SC Top 10, I would expect that to change.
Hogs up! Covid down!

sadhogfan

Quote from: draftkings33 on February 07, 2018, 01:05:19 pm
Go to synergy sports and pay the 20 bucks for the analytics.   Its not rocket science but if you are bad at math it helps.  If you shoot 48 percent from three and get assists and few turnovers you are gonna be ranked pretty high.  And like I said not big minutes.  Last 3 games finally getting consistent minutes and starting and averaging 22 ppg

I'm really glad that your little brother has had a good last 3 games.

ShadowHawg

Quote from: awshucks on February 07, 2018, 11:48:28 am

Power league. He plays in a chump league even now and is just now showing toward the end of his soph season. He still sux on d against athletic players and he WAS an academic risk all the way into to the end of the spring semester of his senior year.

Let it go.

FATHAWG08

Quote from: sadhogfan on February 07, 2018, 01:44:02 pm
I'm really glad that your little brother has had a good last 3 games.
This is funny!! +1
I love off season Football!!

razorback1829

LOL at whoever started this thread. Austin Reaves is no better than any guard we have here, and wouldn't be any better than Garland. CJ most definitely has a higher ceiling and Reeves hasn't done much to even earn a thread on Hogville. Boy you show you know nothing about talent and basketball.

nwahogfan1

Quote from: cardsNhogs on February 07, 2018, 11:51:40 am

I agree.  Terrible evaluater of talent.

farfromgroovins

Watched him in the state tournament and kid can play ball. Smart and patient. Gets defenders in bad positions.

farfromgroovins

......but....from reading Wichita State articles on him when he arrived there, he didn't want to be a Hog anyway. When other Hog fans started calling the Hogs, he would boo. If he went in state, it would have been ASU. Seems like neither wanted each other.

FineAsSwine

Quote from: nwahogfan1 on February 07, 2018, 09:31:31 pm
I agree.  Terrible evaluater of talent.

Ok so he can't recruit, can't evaluate talent, and can't coach, but still he: is second in SEC wins over last 3 years; made it to the SEC championship game 2 of last 3 years; and he's 1 of only 4 coaches who never had a losing season (min. 15 seasons).

Can you explain his success in light of all of the limitations you believe he has?
Hogs up! Covid down!

PonderinHog

Quote from: FineAsSwine on February 07, 2018, 10:02:24 pm
Ok so he can't recruit, can't evaluate talent, and can't coach, but still he: is second in SEC wins over last 3 years; made it to the SEC championship game 2 of last 3 years; and he's 1 of only 4 coaches who never had a losing season (min. 15 seasons).

Can you explain his success in light of all of the limitations you believe he has?
Just damn lucky, I guess...

HawgHeadCheese

I can't lie I liked Reaves film but I wouldn't compare his numbers to C.J. Jones when you consider we have 2 of the top scorers in the SEC.

hoglady

Great - the kid is doing good.

But to backtrack and say he wasn't an academic risk at the time is just not true.
Heck - his AAU coach confirmed as much on the radio.
Inside every "older" person is a younger person wondering what the hell happened?

"Compassion for animals is intimately associated with goodness of character, and it may be confidently asserted that he who is cruel to animals cannot be a good man."
― Arthur Schopenhauer, The Basis of Morality

awshucks

Quote from: ShadowHawg on February 07, 2018, 06:39:42 pm
Power league. He plays in a chump league even now and is just now showing toward the end of his soph season. He still sux on d against athletic players and he WAS an academic risk all the way into to the end of the spring semester of his senior year.

Let it go.

Let what go?  It was you that made the grandiose statement that Reaves would be a PROJECT in a Power league.  Now you say that he "just now showing toward the end of his soph season," and that "he sux against athletic players."  Yea right.  Coach Gregg Marshall is known for playing guys that can't play defense.  Why, he has made a career of having players who are weak against "athletic players."

And, could you explain what Reaves is "just know showing?"  What does that statement mean? 

For a PROJECT he sure is putting on a show.  Especially considering he had to have his shoulder put back together after having it dislocated at least 8 different times in the last 36 months.  I was really impressed with the show against Tulsa when he hit 7 straight 3s.  Not bad for a Project. 

hogsanity

Quote from: hoglady on February 07, 2018, 10:34:41 pm
Great - the kid is doing good.

But to backtrack and say he wasn't an academic risk at the time is just not true.
Heck - his AAU coach confirmed as much on the radio.

Academic issues never stopped Anderson, and they sure never stopped his mentor, from taking risks on the type of kids they were willing to take risks on. Then again, Mike did not offer Hannahs either out of hs, he and Reaves do have one thing in common............

For some reason Mike did not want a guy that can shoot AND play defense. Mike prefers one dimensional players. Barford and Macon can score, but are nothing special on D. Had guys in the past like Bell that were the same. Or a guy like Manny Watkins, who until the last few games of his sr year never saw a shot he would not pass up, but played really good.
People ask me what I do in winter when there is no baseball.  I will tell you what I do. I stare out the window, and I wait for spring.

"Anything goes wrong, anything at all, your fault, my fault, nobodies fault, I'm going to blow your head off."  John Wayne in BIG JAKE

HawgHeadCheese

Quote from: hogsanity on February 07, 2018, 10:41:01 pm
Academic issues never stopped Anderson, and they sure never stopped his mentor, from taking risks on the type of kids they were willing to take risks on. Then again, Mike did not offer Hannahs either out of hs, he and Reaves do have one thing in common............

For some reason Mike did not want a guy that can shoot AND play defense. Mike prefers one dimensional players. Barford and Macon can score, but are nothing special on D. Had guys in the past like Bell that were the same. Or a guy like Manny Watkins, who until the last few games of his sr year never saw a shot he would not pass up, but played really good.
😂😂😂 What do they have in common?