Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Arkansas Razorbacks, epicenter of football

Started by jamie72921, September 28, 2006, 01:38:55 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

jamie72921

Until Houston Nutt.

I have read many times on here where you people believe that Razorback football's tradition happened too long ago to have been relevant. I won't criticize those of you too young to remember but it doesn't change that you are wrong.

Joe Gibbs-Redskins, Pete Carroll-USC
Jimmy Johnson shaped the current face of college football as you watch it today by introducing speed in combination with power. By the way, Arkansas was always a speed built team out of necessity, but still tried and succeeded at times to have the power game as well.

I just mentioned a paltry few of the great names of football who either played or coached here. Those of you who know more please add to this list. I am tired of our new fans believing we have always been a joke and no longer have any effect, even indirectly on the football world.
Bless your heart

UhOhioHog

Steve Atwater
Kenoy Kennedy
Ken Hamlin

Free Safety U!!!

kitshicker

I never realized JG had been associated with the Razorbacks.

jamie72921

Bless your heart

jamie72921

At one time, Oklahoma, Texas, and OSU all had former Hog players coaching them. OU and Texas were real players for the national title year in and year out during that time.
Bless your heart

jresrev

NaturalStateReb

Quote from: jamie72921 on September 28, 2006, 01:38:55 pm
Until Houston Nutt.

I have read many times on here where you people believe that Razorback football's tradition happened too long ago to have been relevant. I won't criticize those of you too young to remember but it doesn't change that you are wrong.

Jimmy Johnson shaped the current face of college football as you watch it today by introducing speed in combination with power. By the way, Arkansas was always a speed built team out of necessity, but still tried and succeeded at times to have the power game as well.

I just mentioned a paltry few of the great names of football who either played or coached here. Those of you who know more please add to this list. I am tired of our new fans believing we have always been a joke and no longer have any effect, even indirectly on the football world.

Just to be sure I understand, are you saying that Arkansas was a premiere football program until Houston Nutt came along and wrecked everything?
"It's a trap!"--Houston Nutt and Admiral Ackbar, although Ackbar never called that play or ate that frito pie.

sooie dog

Quote from: NaturalStateReb on September 28, 2006, 01:48:20 pm
Until Houston Nutt.

Just to be sure I understand, are you saying that Arkansas was a premiere football program until Houston Nutt came along and wrecked everything?

You don't understand the question.  Go read it agian and this time use your phonics. 

jamie72921

Yes I am. All programs go through down times and it is true that we were in one. When he arrived. The acceptance of mediocrity during his time here is equal to a paradigm shift. You usually do not come back from such a shift, because it is a shift in thought and perspective. We have never been as complete a program as some but we never before Nutt accepted that we couldn't be or didn't deserve to be. I am hoping that other posters will list the names of great coaches who have come through this program. College Football National Championships and Super Bowls have been won by such guys. Do you honestly believe we will ever hear of such happenings from any of Nutt's influence?
Bless your heart

sooie dog

Quote from: sooie dog on September 28, 2006, 01:52:48 pm
Quote from: NaturalStateReb on September 28, 2006, 01:48:20 pm
Until Houston Nutt.

never mind what I said

OnYourToes

I think this guy coached D at Arkansas
Monte Kiffin, Tampa Bay Buccaneers.
I know things aren't looking good this season but he does have a Superbowl Ring.
Quote from: Fresh Legs on September 22, 2006, 09:56:48 am
Quote from: OnYourToes on September 22, 2006, 09:48:23 am
The wife's b-day was this past Tuesday, I got her a gift certifiacte for a message, she is going to redeem it Saturday, around 2:35ish.  I had it planned all along.  House to myself, game on, free to yell as loud as I can!!!!!

You sir are a genius!

hogsNbeer

Quote from: OnYourToes on September 28, 2006, 01:57:19 pm
I know things aren't looking good this season but he does have a Superbowl Ring.

Concur....How sweet would it be to have him as Def Coord.....Holy shiite!

OnYourToes

Quote from: hogsNbeer on September 28, 2006, 01:59:06 pm
Quote from: OnYourToes on September 28, 2006, 01:57:19 pm

Concur....How sweet would it be to have him as Def Coord.....Holy shiite!

Bring him back!!!!!!!!!!
After this season he may be looking for a job.
I would take him over RH, no offense, but Monte's resume speaks for itself.
Quote from: Fresh Legs on September 22, 2006, 09:56:48 am
Quote from: OnYourToes on September 22, 2006, 09:48:23 am
The wife's b-day was this past Tuesday, I got her a gift certifiacte for a message, she is going to redeem it Saturday, around 2:35ish.  I had it planned all along.  House to myself, game on, free to yell as loud as I can!!!!!

You sir are a genius!

Sao Ming

The day we get a Bo Schembechler type of guy in to coach, with an "owner" like Mark Cuban we will turn the corner.  Bo to kick everyone in the teeth and accept nothing but a winner here, and Cuban to write the checks for whatever/whoever Bo needs.

Know of any?

HogFaninGA

Quote from: Sao Ming on September 28, 2006, 02:02:14 pm
The day we get a Bo Schembechler type of guy in to coach, with an "owner" like Mark Cuban we will turn the corner.  Bo to kick everyone in the teeth and accept nothing but a winner here, and Cuban to write the checks for whatever/whoever Bo needs.

Know of any?

How about Jerry Jones as AD and Jimmy Johnson as HC. :)

BigHog396

How about...  Hayden Fry, Johnny Majors, Jackie Sherrill, and Doug Dickey just to name a few more.  Broyles was the master.  His influence probably touches more big time coaches than any other coach in history.

Tusks

You guys need to read the medial guide more.....

Johnny Majors, Jackie Sherril, Barry Switzer, Fred Akers, Jimmie Johnson, Bill Lewis, Monte Kiffin, Joe Gibbs, Larry Beghtol (NLF assistant), Pat Jones, Don Lindsey (DC won RoseBowl with USC), Hayden Frey, Raymond Berry (NE superbowl coach)
sometimes it's a good and some times it's a schit

BigHog396

Here is the complete list for ya.

Broyles assistant coaches & their Head coaching Jobs:

Joe Gibbs - Washington Redskins
Hayden Fry - Iowa, SMU, N. Texas
Johnny Majors - Pittsburgh, Tennessee
Barry Switzer - Oklahoma, dallas cowboys
Jimmy Johnson - Miami, Dallas Cowboys, Miami Dolphins, Oklahoma St,
Jackie Sherrill - Pittsburgh, Texas A&M, Mississippi St, Washington St
Raymond Berry - New England Patriots
Doug DIckey - Florida, Tennessee
Pepper Rogers - UCLA, Georgia Tech, Kansas
Hootie Ingram - Clemson
Bo Rein - LSU, North Carolina State
Jim Mackenzie - Oklahoma
Jerry Claiborne - maryland, Kentucky
Jim Carlen - South Carolina, Texas Tech
Pat Jones - Oklahoma State
Bill Lewis - Georgia Tech, East Carolina, Wyoming
Richard Williamson - Tampa Bay, Memphis State
Richard Bell - South Carolina
Bill Pace - Vanderbilt
Charley Coffey - Virginia Tech
Harold Horton - Central Arkansas
Ken Turner - henderson State
Ken Stephens - Central Arkansas, lamar
Jesse Branch - Southwest Missouri St, Henderson St
Fred Akers* - Texas, Purdue, Wyoming
Ken Hatfield* - Arkansas, Clemson, Air Force, Rice
Houston Nutt* - Arkansas, Boise St, Murray St
*Players under Broyles, not assistants

NaturalStateReb

Quote from: jamie72921 on September 28, 2006, 01:54:23 pm
Yes I am. All programs go through down times and it is true that we were in one. When he arrived. The acceptance of mediocrity during his time here is equal to a paradigm shift. You usually do not come back from such a shift, because it is a shift in thought and perspective. We have never been as complete a program as some but we never before Nutt accepted that we couldn't be or didn't deserve to be. I am hoping that other posters will list the names of great coaches who have come through this program. College Football National Championships and Super Bowls have been won by such guys. Do you honestly believe we will ever hear of such happenings from any of Nutt's influence?

First, let me just go ahead and say I'm not a big fan of Nutt's.  But, not so fast, my friend.

In the 8 seasons before Nutt, Arkansas was 38-41-1 (.475).  Overall, Arkansas is .592 (628-42-40) over 112 years.  Take away the records of Broyles, Holtz, and Hatfield, and Arkansas is only .524 (399-330-32) over the remaining 80 years of Razorback football.

Nutt's 60-41, or .594 over his tenure. 

To say that Arkansas had 112 years of outstanding success which Nutt came along and spoiled is simply untrue.  The truth is, for nearly 75% of the history of the program, Arkansas has pretty much been middle of the pack.  Of the 24 coaches in Arkansas history, half have losing records. 
"It's a trap!"--Houston Nutt and Admiral Ackbar, although Ackbar never called that play or ate that frito pie.

BigHog396

Quote from: NaturalStateReb on September 29, 2006, 12:46:00 pm
Quote from: jamie72921 on September 28, 2006, 01:54:23 pm

First, let me just go ahead and say I'm not a big fan of Nutt's.  But, not so fast, my friend.

In the 8 seasons before Nutt, Arkansas was 38-41-1 (.475).  Overall, Arkansas is .592 (628-42-40) over 112 years.  Take away the records of Broyles, Holtz, and Hatfield, and Arkansas is only .524 (399-330-32) over the remaining 80 years of Razorback football.

Nutt's 60-41, or .594 over his tenure. 

To say that Arkansas had 112 years of outstanding success which Nutt came along and spoiled is simply untrue.  The truth is, for nearly 75% of the history of the program, Arkansas has pretty much been middle of the pack.  Of the 24 coaches in Arkansas history, half have losing records. 
No one has said we had 112 years of success.  The 30+ years of Broyles, Holtz, and Hatfield (basically the entire modern era of football until we joined the SEC) is the tradition that is quickly being watered down to the point that few remember us as the powerhouse we were.