Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Why do you think we've played in so many overtime games under Nutt?

Started by hogsrmyfav36, September 27, 2006, 08:25:15 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

hogsrmyfav36

F&*!NG INTRANET

Root Hog

The same reason we have won so many of them.  Our team has had superior talent to the other team, but we got outcoached during regulation.  In overtime, coaching and strategy are much less important.  Overtime games are won on talent.

Field Position and Clock Management are meaningless in overtime

Hong Kong Sooey

I think we have been to overTime so many times under Coach Nutt is because Coach Nutt knows he is the best at Overtime games and will win.  Coach Nutts plans go right over the heds of most of the folks here I think because he is Coaching football on another plain and simply "outfox" everyone else.

WPS!

Dugann

Because when he has a lead after halftime he plays not to loose so teams catch up and we find our self in bad situations. IMO.
By Gosh He Didn't Come Back To PAINT!!!!

T-hawg

Because he plays to tie or not to lose. Not to win. That is the difference between him and successful coaches.
I'ts Diamond Hog time YALL!

Time for some crawfish and tailgating!

Jordan10

If we are EVER leading in a game, Nutt plays not to lose.  It drives me crazy.  

sooner2

JIMMY BOARFFETT

My sources are unreliable, but their information is fascinating.

1836andon

Have we been to a lot of overtime games compared to other teams around the conference or country?  I know we have a good record in overtime but I've never heard people talk about us playing in a lot of overtime games.  

Just looking at the Bama game, weren't our total number of overtime games played about the same going into Saturdays game?  I might be wrong but someone should check the facts on this one.

hogfan47

C L martin

Fort Smith Ark    

start the healing process now

PIGINAPOKE

He fails to try and win a game from the first snap...So his play to not to lose tactics come into play in a nail bitin finish. Spin it as you wish..Guy has lucked out..Period
The best thing to happen to RRS is the moron will never bunny hop thru the tunnel again !

Why do rednecks call antlers horns? Are the deer woods really different than the Turkey woods? How much is a " Mess" of Crappie?

cubsfan5150

Have we played that many more overtime games that anyone else? 
QuoteWest Side Rooter wrote:

Always best to talk [expletive] about a team when you don't have to face them again.

I'd do the same. LaRussa's a nutjob and would probably throw at his head.
ETA: A bottle of wine, not a baseball.
ETA: Empty bottle, obviously.

Batesville-HAWG

HBTHogs

Nutt has said many many times that he likes to try and keep it close until the 4th quarter.  He's always playing the underdog card.  Also, like several have said, when we do get up he sits on the ball until part of it is not visible anymore.

WhenPigsFly

Quote from: Root Hog on September 27, 2006, 08:28:38 pm
The same reason we have won so many of them.  Our team has had superior talent to the other team, but we got outcoached during regulation.  In overtime, coaching and strategy are much less important.  Overtime games are won on talent.

Field Position and Clock Management are meaningless in overtime

Bingo!  How many of those OT games have been against inferior opponents, that is, games Arkansas was favored to win?

Brand X Hog Fan

Didn't Nutt and the OT rule hit the SEC at about the same time? Previous coaches didn't really have the opportunity to play for overtime. HDN's ultra conservative game plan always leaves room for the possibility of an overtime win. I like the previous poster's point that OT is won more on talent than strategy.

I think that whomever is on defense at the end of regulation should automatically get choice of ball or defending during the OT, thus eliminating the coin toss. That way maybe coaches would have a little more incentive to win the game in regulation. Just a thought.

"A tie is like kissing your sister." - Lou Holtz
"I want to give you [Arkansas] something you've never had." - Coach Bielema, December 5, 2012, the beginning of a Dynasty!

Quote from: oldbear on January 14, 2013, 07:56:49 pm
The recruiting rankings guarantee success about as well as getting Lee Corso to choose your team as the winner.

jamie72921

This is Coach Nutt's gameplan and it won FB lots of games too. It is very solid and gives us our best chance to win and makes the game more exciting for us fans. Go Hogs!
Bless your heart

Brand X Hog Fan

"I want to give you [Arkansas] something you've never had." - Coach Bielema, December 5, 2012, the beginning of a Dynasty!

The recruiting rankings guarantee success about as well as getting Lee Corso to choose your team as the winner.

RhodeHog

VoR

I think it has to do with the little known overtime clause in HDN's contract. He gets 20K for making it to OT, 50K if he wins.

Why is it I know someone is going to take me seriously?
From BC comic.
Fat Broad "What is the most flagrant oxymoron you've ever heard?"
Blond Chick "Politically correct".

You cannot brag about being selfless if you're doing it only to impress someone.

Mr. Prozac

Quote from: Hong Kong Sooey on September 27, 2006, 08:32:58 pm
I think we have been to overTime so many times under Coach Nutt is because Coach Nutt knows he is the best at Overtime games and will win.  Coach Nutts plans go right over the heds of most of the folks here I think because he is Coaching football on another plain and simply "outfox" everyone else.

WPS!

You guys are killing me. I've entered the Twilight Zone or something.

heathshogs

I believe the rule changes came about in 1996 just before Nutt got here.
The reason we play so many is the same reason we have averaged 4 games a year decided by 7 points or less. Nutt plays a tight game and looks to win by the slimmest margin. If we have a lead regardless of how small, he tries to just milk the clock. If we're behind, sometimes we have the talent to come back. It certainly make things exciting, but it has cost us some wins.
I can't find any statistics, but I would guess we're one of the top schools in overtime games since the rule was implemented. We are definitely tops among total overtime periods thatnks to a pair of 7OT games and a 6OT game.
As for why we are successful, I really don't know. The first thing that comes to mind is Matt Jones, but we are 2-0 without him.  I think the difference is Nutt finally releases a bit. It becomes a much more playground like game, and we don't hold back.   
A ticket is not permission to be entertained. It's a license to go to work.--Hognoxious

1836andon

Quote from: cubsfan5150 on September 27, 2006, 08:55:39 pm

Can anyone address this question?  I really don't think we've played in more overtime games than most other teams.  Everyone should take a step back from these false assumptions and check the facts before jumping all over Nutt for his coaching style.  Every thread doesn't have to bash Nutt.  IMHO!

BassinHawg

IT IS the "Keepin' it close until the 4th Qtr" philosophy.

When will we change to the blow'em out in the first half philosophy?

I hope it's SOON!
"It is what it is." has replaced "Yesssss Sirrrrr!!!!"

Brand X Hog Fan

Quote from: 1836andon on September 27, 2006, 10:49:27 pm
Quote from: cubsfan5150 on September 27, 2006, 08:55:39 pm
Can anyone address this question?  I really don't think we've played in more overtime games than most other teams.  Everyone should take a step back from these false assumptions and check the facts before jumping all over Nutt for his coaching style.  Every thread doesn't have to bash Nutt.  IMHO!

Why do some folks think that if an opinion concerning HDN is different from their own, it is bashing?

HogasaurusRex

Quote from: hogapalooza on September 27, 2006, 08:36:43 pm
Ah.......  because we were tied at the end of regulation... ???
Smartass! I'm jealous cause you posted it 1st! ;D

dj shanon "Notshavin" smeya

Because Coach Nutt know how to keep us in the game, all the way to the END of that said game, in particular.  You can ask for more than that, what part of competeing to the finish and given it all the effort you got inside of oneself for 4 quarter do y'all no comprehende?
published songwriter(ASCAP)/audio production/radio jingles/producer<br /><br />Audio Production/Music

R.I.P. notshavintilnuttgo 12/11/07

dj shanon "Notshavin" smeya

This was a good thread Palooza, you mods have been a little quick-on-the-draw lately...
published songwriter(ASCAP)/audio production/radio jingles/producer<br /><br />Audio Production/Music

R.I.P. notshavintilnuttgo 12/11/07

Broken Trigger

I would be interested to know how many of those games we were favored to win before the game even started.