Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

20% of the board needs to lay off

Started by rzrbackramsfan, April 14, 2015, 03:57:11 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

rzrbackramsfan

Of Portis.  There doesn't need to be any, "I think he's making a mistake," or "he should have stayed" or anything negative. 

We complain that Archie won't come here to be one and done and will be heartbroken if Monk doesn't do the same.  If we want Portis quality players, we have to be OK with them leaving.  Well, I guess the fans don't really have an impact.

I know 80% of the board thinks this way, but for the 20% who doesn't, we need to just be thankful that Bobby chose us over anywhere in the country and gave his all for 2 years. 

TheRazorbackGuy

Quote from: rzrbackramsfan on April 14, 2015, 03:57:11 pm
Of Portis.  There doesn't need to be any, "I think he's making a mistake," or "he should have stayed" or anything negative. 

We complain that Archie won't come here to be one and done and will be heartbroken if Monk doesn't do the same.  If we want Portis quality players, we have to be OK with them leaving.  Well, I guess the fans don't really have an impact.

I know 80% of the board thinks this way, but for the 20% who doesn't, we need to just be thankful that Bobby chose us over anywhere in the country and gave his all for 2 years. 

I'm hoping Portis the best. I hope he is successful in the NBA. It will make Arkansas look better amd help CMA in recruiting.

psooie

I don't agree with his decision so that's my view.

Großer Kriegschwein

Quote from: psooie on April 14, 2015, 04:13:07 pm

We got it the first time you said it.
This is my non-signature signature.

Hawg Red

Are people really coming down on him? Am I just missing that or what? What threads?

rhog1

The funny thing is I bet none of the people complaining about Bobby leaving would turn down the money they want him to turn down this year. He is going to be a first round NBA pick. Congratulations to him. Everyone should just be happy for Bobby, he has done nothing but represent Arkansas the right way. 

Athog

Quote from: psooie on April 14, 2015, 04:13:07 pm

But none of your business. You are entitled to your opinion.

Adam Stokes

Quote from: Großer Kriegschwein on April 14, 2015, 04:14:43 pm
We got it the first time you said it.

You could say the same thing to people congratulating him, "We got it, we know your opinion."  It is "none of our business" regardless of what anyone does, good or bad, but their personal decisions still affect us.  So to just jump on people that don't share your view doesn't make any sense.

hardtimes79

The razorback nation thread on fb is full of people calling him a idiot, saying its a dumb decision, and he won't make it in the NBA....flat out sad
The easiest way to save face is to keep the lower half shut.

Hogarusa

I'll ride the wave where it takes me

rzrbackramsfan

Quote from: Hawg Red on April 14, 2015, 04:23:59 pm
Are people really coming down on him? Am I just missing that or what? What threads?

Nobodys came out and said screw BP, but there has been a lot of, I think he made the wrong decisioners.

Pigsear

Well I wish him the best, hope he does great in the NBA, don't blame him one bit for leaving. With that said, who are you to tell other people what they should or should not think or say.

ldfergu

It's a message board. If only 20% are being idiots it's a really good day

TheRazorbackGuy

Razorback Fans need to quit crying. He made a career decision and has millions in his future.

rzrbackramsfan

Quote from: Pigsear on April 14, 2015, 04:43:10 pm
Well I wish him the best, hope he does great in the NBA, don't blame him one bit for leaving. With that said, who are you to tell other people what they should or should not think or say.

Just telling people that if they want Portis quality players they should not make the decision to go pro any harder than it already is.  Malik monk could be watching this, he wants to go pro after a year, he knows if he comes here everyone will want him to stay forever because we know we can't replace him and he'll be seen as jerk if he leaves.

Malik: if you're reading this, I would be so grateful if you came here for one year and ditched us for the nba no matter what.

JayBell

It's been crazy over the last month to read people tear down Portis' game to try to rationalize that he should come back.

I think he wanted to.  I think he waited this long because he was waiting for a compelling reason to stay.  It just made too much sense for him to go.  It always did.

Hawg Red

Quote from: JayBell on April 14, 2015, 04:49:15 pm
It's been crazy over the last month to read people tear down Portis' game to try to rationalize that he should come back.

I think he wanted to.  I think he waited this long because he was waiting for a compelling reason to stay.  It just made too much sense for him to go.  It always did.

rzrbackramsfan

Quote from: StoneTemplePiglets on April 14, 2015, 04:46:27 pm

Ha.  True.  I wonder how the UK fan board reacted to their players declaring.

NLRHog92

Bottomline, it's not what any fan wanted, but it was the right decision. He climbed up the board a little bit, and is taking advantage of that. It's his dream and he is going to be able to take care of his family. He also would get to finish school at a later time. Tell me how that is a bad decision? He may not be as ready as others and maybe could have used another year, but he was the SEC POTY over al UK players. He was a leader, has great work ethic, and nice person. What NBA team wouldn't love to have that, along with 6'11 and athletic? This is the right decision for BP, as much as all of us didn't want it to happen. Good luck Bobby, and thanks for all you did! Go Hogs :razorback:

Hoginsavga

If I were a super hero quality player I would be disappointed if the fans didn't want me to stay. True Hog Fans have a right to be first selfish and then understanding. Personally I wanted BP to stay but best of luck to you BP.

hoglady

Oh, I'm disappointed but wish him nothing but the best and hope he has great success.
I can't even imagine how exciting this is for Portis and his family.
Inside every "older" person is a younger person wondering what the hell happened?

"Compassion for animals is intimately associated with goodness of character, and it may be confidently asserted that he who is cruel to animals cannot be a good man."
― Arthur Schopenhauer, The Basis of Morality

passinghog

I'm waiting on someone to say they would've stayed if they were in his shoes. So far, I haven't seen ONE post that says it. Unless you'd turn down that type of money, it's basically, STHU. My opinion of course....

Thepigdoctor

Realistically it's like 10 to 12% aren't seeing the bigger picture.

MountieDawg

You cant beg for the kids to come here and say you can be One and Done or Two and Done just as easy as you can at Kentucky or Kansas and then be mad when they do...
SEC!

psooie

I would compare Portis leaving now to if Corliss Williamson left for the NBA after the 1993 season, funny thing is UNC knocked the hogs off that year. Its his call to go to the NBA and get paid but he left a lot on the hog table for what he could have done in the next year as a Razorback. THe question to ask is for a 35 year old Bobby Portis to answer and that is after a long NBA career and millions in the bank, do you wish you would have stayed  at Arkansas for another year? THe NBA isn't going anywhere but his time in Razorback uniform is limited.

WilsonHog

April 14, 2015, 09:31:48 pm #25 Last Edit: April 14, 2015, 09:44:13 pm by WilsonHog
I guess my question for those saying it was a bad decision would be, based on what?

What are your qualifications for claiming it was a bad decision?

Strip away all of your Razorback loyalty and analyze it.

I look at it this way: two years ago, Bobby could EASILY have pulled an Archie Goodwin and gone out of state. He did not. He gave us two great years.

He deserves our thanks and gratitude for that, because to be dead honest about it, the program needed Bobby Portis a helluva lot more than Bobby Portis needed our program.

HSVhogfan2

I would say 40% of this board needs to quit posting entirely. It's amazing, just like Goodwin, Bobby Portis is going to sign 1 contact and make more money than most people will ever see in their lifetime.

This data is old, but when I was having to keep track of such, the average LIFETIME income of someone with a PHD was 3.8 million dollars. So where does the mistake come in?
"The post you have just read was used with the express written consent of HSVHogfan2."

Veni Sancte Spiritus

Do you wish to rise? Begin by descending. You plan a tower that will pierce the clouds? Lay first the foundation of humility.

Newhopehog

Thank you Bobby and I hope you have a wonderful NBA career.

WarPig88

Quote from: WilsonHog on April 14, 2015, 09:31:48 pm
I guess my question for those saying it was a bad decision would be, based on what?

What are your qualifications for claiming it was a bad decision?

Strip away all of your Razorback loyalty and analyze it.

I look at it this way: two years ago, Bobby could EASILY have pulled an Archie Goodwin and gone out of state. He did not. He gave us two great years.

He deserves our thanks and gratitude for that, because to be dead honest about it, the program needed Bobby Portis a helluva lot more than Bobby Portis needed our program.

Word is that Portis is not a lottery pick. The belief that staying gives the pros more time to pick you apart is laughable and the view of neophyte fans.

The pros are watching for improvement from year to year. They already know the holes in a player's game.

Portis is not going to make the big bucks and will be a mid to late 1st round guy. This could play to his advantage because he could end up on a team that is in a better situation to actually develop him instead of throwing him to the wolves.

It also puts him in a weaker bargaining position for the ballyhooed second contract if he is still in the development stage. Might be trade bait but just like any business, any commodity that you aren't heavily invested in is easier to replace with something else.

Only about half of these guys will get a second contract also. There are no givens.

If he had come back and improved his stock to lottery pick level, he would have come as close as you can get to a guarantee for that second contract, plus double what he will most likely make over the first contract.

Those things being said, I am so glad he was a Hog. He was only here two years and is one of my all time favorites and I go back to the 70s.

He worked hard and put himself in a great situation where whatever decision he made was not a bad one. He could have made a better one, but I don't see any of his options as bad. At worst he can be a millionaire before 30.

It's kind of like sex. The worst sex I've ever had was pretty dang good!

Good luck BP and thanks for being a Hog!!!!!!!!!!!!

passinghog

Quote from: WarPig88 on April 14, 2015, 10:09:30 pm
Word is that Portis is not a lottery pick. The belief that staying gives the pros more time to pick you apart is laughable and the view of neophyte fans.

The pros are watching for improvement from year to year. They already know the holes in a player's game.

Portis is not going to make the big bucks and will be a mid to late 1st round guy. This could play to his advantage because he could end up on a team that is in a better situation to actually develop him instead of throwing him to the wolves.

It also puts him in a weaker bargaining position for the ballyhooed second contract if he is still in the development stage. Might be trade bait but just like any business, any commodity that you aren't heavily invested in is easier to replace with something else.

Only about half of these guys will get a second contract also. There are no givens.

If he had come back and improved his stock to lottery pick level, he would have come as close as you can get to a guarantee for that second contract, plus double what he will most likely make over the first contract.

Those things being said, I am so glad he was a Hog. He was only here two years and is one of my all time favorites and I go back to the 70s.

He worked hard and put himself in a great situation where whatever decision he made was not a bad one. He could have made a better one, but I don't see any of his options as bad. At worst he can be a millionaire before 30.

It's kind of like sex. The worst sex I've ever had was pretty dang good!

Good luck BP and thanks for being a Hog!!!!!!!!!!!!

Flawed logic.

Staying and being a higher pick guarantees nothing except for the first contract he signs. Being drafted @ 5 puts him in no better position to get a 2nd contract than at 22. If you can play, you can play. Your draft position has no correlation to if you get a second contract. When you're negotiating your second contract, it does not matter where you were drafted at. At all.

hawginbigd1

Quote from: Showtimehog on April 14, 2015, 10:25:23 pm
Flawed logic.

Staying and being a higher pick guarantees nothing except for the first contract he signs. Being drafted @ 5 puts him in no better position to get a 2nd contract than at 22. If you can play, you can play. Your draft position has no correlation to if you get a second contract. When you're negotiating your second contract, it does not matter where you were drafted at. At all.
If you follow the logic a little farther it makes more sense to me, if you are at the top of the draft you are going to a team that is mostly lacking in top notch talent. You get more playing time, more opportunities to improve your game. More opportunities mean your numbers are better and you get that 2nd contract based off a higher salary as well. Good numbers lead to other teams being interested as well, which can turn into a bidding war!

If I was BP I would have stayed knowing what I know, granted I have a lot less knowledge about it than he does, so I could be wrong, but I believe he took millions when he could have been talking 10's of millions.

I have been ramen and boxed Mac and cheese poor before, I made it.

passinghog

Quote from: hawginbigd1 on April 14, 2015, 10:49:41 pm
If you follow the logic a little farther it makes more sense to me, if you are at the top of the draft you are going to a team that is mostly lacking in top notch talent. You get more playing time, more opportunities to improve your game. More opportunities mean your numbers are better and you get that 2nd contract based off a higher salary as well. Good numbers lead to other teams being interested as well, which can turn into a bidding war!

If I was BP I would have stayed knowing what I know, granted I have a lot less knowledge about it than he does, so I could be wrong, but I believe he took millions when he could have been talking 10's of millions.

I have been ramen and boxed Mac and cheese poor before, I made it.

Or you can be Anthony Bennett or anyone else from the 2013 and just not been a good player, no matter the amount of opportunity you get. Kobe Bryant was traded from a place he would have started and put up numbers to a team loaded at his position and ended up a starting games by the end of his rookie season.

On the flip side, you can be an Eric Bledsoe who was drafted #18 in the 2009 draft and was Chris Paul's backup, but ended up getting traded to Phoenix to be their starter. He just signed a $70 million contract in September.

You don't become an unrestricted free agent until your 5th year and that's at the earliest because of the team options on your contract.

moses_007

I wonder how many of Kentucky's one-and-done players will make it past their first contracts?  I seriously doubt too many will. 

WarPig88

Quote from: Showtimehog on April 14, 2015, 10:25:23 pm
Flawed logic.

I guess you missed the part where he makes twice the money as a higher draft pick.

If you really think it is as easy to give up on a guy that you have invested that kind of money in than it is to cut loose a guy that you have little invested in, then you don't pay attention to professional sports is all I can say.

Ask anyone who has ever played minor league baseball about who gets the most chances to succeed, the higher draft pick or the lower draft pick?

Same concept is at play in the NBA as well as other professional sports. Qb's taken in the first round are given way more chances than Qb's taken in later rounds in the NFL even when production is about equal.

Of course there are not guarantees with regards to the second contract, never said that either. But you can put yourself in better position to receive that contract by increasing your draft position. Not even arguable really.

You are pretty naive about how business works and professional sports is definitely a business.

MountieDawg

April 15, 2015, 06:07:07 am #34 Last Edit: April 15, 2015, 06:23:13 am by MountieDawg
Quote from: moses_007 on April 15, 2015, 12:07:38 am
I wonder how many of Kentucky's one-and-done players will make it past their first contracts?  I seriously doubt too many will. 
Have you seen Wall's (85 mil), Bledsoe's (70 mil), Cousins (66 mil) and who knows what Davis will get at the end of this year the last year of his rookie contract.

Some of you are much more worried about your wants instead of what Bobby wants. Luckily Bobby just has to worry about Bobby and will still love the hogs. You need to treat his decision with respect and hopefully he spends summers here working out with new hogs.
SEC!

Boarcephus

Bobby has been a class act and represented our program well since day one so I wish him nothing but the best.  I hate to see him go for purely selfish reasons but I can see why he made the decision he did.  He's an injury away from nothing so if I were in his shoes, I'd made the same call he did.
I need to be more like my dog...if you can't fight it, screw it, or eat it, then piss on it.

BadHog

It wasn't a bad decision. Those that think that way
Quote from: HSVhogfan2 on April 14, 2015, 09:41:52 pm
I would say 40% of this board needs to quit posting entirely.

LOL only 40%?
"Rumors are started by haters, spread by the fools and accepted by idiots."

Danny J

Quote from: StoneTemplePiglets on April 14, 2015, 04:46:27 pm
Yep and 20% of the HV fringe are less than probably 2% of the fanbase as a whole. The number may even be lower than that.

Razorback_Mack

April 15, 2015, 11:15:48 am #38 Last Edit: April 15, 2015, 11:40:16 am by Razorback_Mack
All of the other fanbases celebrate when their guys go pro. The only thing that matters is how high hes gonna go. It doesn't matter if he's ready or not. Whoever drafts him don't expect him to be a key contributor in year one or even year two. They draft on potential. He can get paid to develop. It's also much easier to develop going against nba talent every day in practice. Iron sharpens iron. #checkersnotchess

Razorback_Mack

Quote from: rzrbackramsfan on April 14, 2015, 04:41:49 pm
Nobodys came out and said screw BP, but there has been a lot of, I think he made the wrong decisioners.
And not a single one of them has any of the information that he has. Message board dialogue is all fine and good but when all the critics says he's a 1st round lock and a fringe lottery pick what about his decision could be bad? It makes zero sense.

JayBell

Quote from: Razorback_Mack on April 15, 2015, 11:20:46 amAnd not a single one of them has any of the information that he has. Message board dialogue is all fine and good but when all the critics says he's a 1st round lock and a fringe lottery pick what about his decision could be bad? It makes zero sense.

They've convinced themselves that:

Quote from: WarPig88 on April 14, 2015, 10:09:30 pmPortis is not going to make the big bucks and will be a mid to late 1st round guy.

HF#1

Folks love jumping out there and saying it's a mistake.  In 5 years, if Bobby hasn't done anything of significance in the league they will return and say I told you he should have come back to school.
"We are all born ignorant, but one must work hard to remain stupid."  <br /><br />Benjamin Franklin

hogsanity

No matter what happens, it is NOT a mistake. He is going to be a 1st rounder, may be a lottery pick. He is going to make more on his 1st contract than most of us will make in our lifetime.

If he ends up being a NBA bust, it will have nothing to do with not having played a 3rd year of college basketball.
People ask me what I do in winter when there is no baseball.  I will tell you what I do. I stare out the window, and I wait for spring.

"Anything goes wrong, anything at all, your fault, my fault, nobodies fault, I'm going to blow your head off."  John Wayne in BIG JAKE

hawgwild child

Ppl need to understand how the NBA draft works. Unless your a top 5 pick, your not drafted on "being ready" or to come in and make an immediate impact.   Your drafted on your potential.  Portis has loads of upside, he still needs to polish up a few things.  He will develop more in one year in the NBA than he would if he had stayed all 4 years.  If we keep signing McDonald's All Americans we as fans need to realize were only gonna get 1-2 yrs out of them more than likely.  The pros outweigh the cons in his decision.   Staying another yeat doesn't mean he automatically jumps into the top 10 in next years draft

Razorback_Mack

Quote from: hogsanity on April 15, 2015, 12:16:45 pm
No matter what happens, it is NOT a mistake. He is going to be a 1st rounder, may be a lottery pick. He is going to make more on his 1st contract than most of us will make in our lifetime.

If he ends up being a NBA bust, it will have nothing to do with not having played a 3rd year of college basketball.
Exactly

code red

Ahhhhh.....folks where saying this 2 months ago...no one had a problem with it then and most of you agreed.  I tell you what....I am ready to make a million by signing my name any day of the week. 
"If what you did yesterday seems big, you haven't done anything today."  Dr. Lou

mhuff

Portis was a fabulous player and representative for the UA. I only wish him the best.